Sunday Morning Breakfast

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
2006/04/02 08:02:41 (permalink)

Sunday Morning Breakfast

Sunday morning breakfast has always been special in my life. I imagine it is im most families. Growing up Catholic meant we could not eat anything from midnight Saturday until after we received communion at Mass on Sunday. But---then we went home to a feast. That church rule has been changed,thank God, but the feast continues (thank God again).

If I have been good all week and stuck to my diet I can pig out on Sunday morning. And I really look forward to it. A week of oatmeal or cold cereal means Sunday morning can't get here soon enough. And this morning (daylight savings)it is even an hour sooner.

Usually I make a batch of corn muffins and while they are baking I make the homefries, potatoes are boiled first and then thrown in the frying pan over the onion that has been simmering to a golden brown. Then the other pan has the bacon or ham or both, or sometimes sausages. If its bacon some of the grease (not too much) gets drizzled over the spuds.
The coffee (the only cup of the week, but you have to have it on Sunday)is brewing and smells great, as does the bacon. If I have guests that aroma usually brings them, half-asleep into the kitchen). I always leave a little of the bacon fat in the fry pan and cook my eggs sunny side up with the bacon fat spooned over the yolks to cook them. Then I open the oven and smell those muffins---oh man !!!!!! where is the butter.

Well today is Sunday and it is morning and I'm heading for the kitchen--see y'all later. Bon Appetit Ancient Mariner!!!!!!!!!!

61 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/02 08:08:56 (permalink)
    Mariner: Nice write and somehow I could imagine the joy of a Sunday morning cook with you.

I am sime retired and I enjoy coffe each morning regarding of the weather on the deck and watching the birds.

Unlike you, I have coffee every morning and I usually brew about eight cups of Mello Joy. I have my first cup around 4:30AM, have my second cup over at Mamaw Smith's who lives next door, I return home about 5:30AM and share the next couple of cups with my wife.

Like you, I usually only have any type of breakfast of Sunday mornings.

Again, a nice write.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/02 13:06:19 (permalink)
    Hey, Paul

If I drank that amount of coffee in one day I would have the shakes for a month.
    If you can remember back that far--on the Steve Allen Show Don Knotts (before Mayberry) would do a skit where he had the shakes----well Brother that is what coffee does to me.

Sunday used to be a big food day---breakfast was super and dinner was an all day cooking experience. How did our mothers make it through the day ??? I wonder if they dreaded it as much as we looked forward to it. All day experience---ah yes, I have a pork roast in the crock pot and will look forward to digging in to it later on. In the meantime I shall sit on the balcony overlooking the bay and read a good book. Later, Gater !!!!!!
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2295
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/02 15:15:51 (permalink)
    My brother-in-law cooked breakfast this morning We had bacon and French toast, and covered it with some sorgham syrup that was given to him by Z66 at the Moonlite meet.
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/02 15:25:31 (permalink)
    My sister made me fresh blueberry pancakes, with real butter, and one of the two cups of coffee I allow myself on the weekends. I love coffee, but can't seem to get into the habit. I think you have to start young, so it can stunt your growth and stuff.....
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/02 15:28:24 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    This morning I woke at 8 (7 a.m. the old time) and was starving. I made myself a hot dog, a Nathan's hot dog.
    Ate it while playing a "Lord of the Rings" video game on the T.V.. Gotta go to work in three hours. Plan to
    eat a salad and fries, then sleep. Next Sunday, I plan on bacon and eggs, toast and OJ. Those are my plans, but the best laid plans... The Nathan's was good,
    but not breakfast food and so it goes...
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/02 15:28:38 (permalink)
    Sausage,eggs,homefries cooked in lard and rye toast. I love Sundays also. Chow Jim
    BunnySlippers
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/02 16:36:48 (permalink)
    I love weekend breakfasts too! We spent the weekend at our lake cottage along with some guests. For some reason, I only seem to make a big cooked breakfast at the lake. Saturday morning we had macadamia nut pancakes with maple syrup, sausages and the first cantaloupe of the year. This morning I made the recipe below (one of our favorites) with hot biscuits, jam and fresh orange juice. A good time was had by all!

8 bacon strips
    6 C. frozen hash brown potatoes
    1/2 C. chopped green pepper (optional)
    1/2 C. chopped onion
    1 t. salt
    1/4 t. pepper
    6 eggs
    1/2 C. shredded cheddar cheese

In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, crumble and set aside. Drain, reserve 2 T. drippings. Add potatoes, green peppers, onion, salt and pepper to drippings; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add potatoes. Cook and cover; stirring occasionally, until potatoes are brown and tender, about 15 minutes.

Make 6 wells in the potatoes; break 1 egg into each well. Cover and cook on low heat until eggs are set. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon.

Bunny
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1509
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/02 17:09:13 (permalink)
    We were supposed to have cinnamon rolls, eggs and bacon... but hubby has the stomach flu, so it's tea for him and potluck for the rest of us.. (turkey sausage, brownies, pita, hummus and coffee for me).. as with most of you, Sunday is the only day for a big breakfast.. most weekdays I don't do breakfast at all.. my only goal is getting back to sleep after taking the kiddy to school since I work a swing shift and don't get home til 2 am.
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/02 17:28:06 (permalink)
    Let me tell you the best Sunday breakfast ever. I was born in Chinquapen NC (you can't get there from here..pop. around 40).
    My father was a minister there, and I was the church baby, etc.
    These were country people, tobacco famers, folks who had big
    giant chicken buildings, etc.

Anyway, even though we moved away when I was about 2, we always
    visited in the summer, staying for a long weekend. And boy o boy,
    the Sunday morning breakfast. Aunt Pug (not a real aunt) would get up early and make every food imaginable...bacon, sausage and country
    ham (that was hanging in the barn covered with salt!), red eye gravy
    for the grits and eggs, homemade biscuits and toast, and lots of butter! By the time breakfast was over, you were ready to go back to bed! Can't believe we didn't fall asleep in church!
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/02 17:30:03 (permalink)
    Bunny Slippers, where is the lake and what time is breakfast next week ???????

Well I have the recipe and will put it to work next weekend. Can you please tell me if I use the whole recipe ---- and there is only one of me----will I have leftovers ??????? I guess I will have to invite some rich widows and impress them.

Uncle Jim Chow---what's with all this lard, where do you get all this fat stuff that will not let you live past 110 ????????? I love sausage and scrambled eggs for breakfast, lunch or dinner---depending on the time of day I happen to be cooking them.

Any man (Mr Fieldthistle) who can eat a Nathan's Hot Dog for breakfast is a better man than I am Gunga Din. Although while in college I did have half a bottle of Southern Comfort for breakfast one day, after waking up with a hangover. Then straightened my back, lifted my chin and went out and marched in the St Patrick's Day Parade. Hic !!!!! Excuse me !!!!! Up the Irish !!!!

You know something Pete and Pwing----I sometimes dee-vee-8 from the egg routine and have blueberrie pancakes or french toast too, as a matter of fact quite often------------but dee-vee-8ing is bad for one and so I stick to the tried and true, more often than not. I wish I could remember what the tried and true were..................

My advise to one and all---------don't get old. I know it is better than the alternative, but---------------------it is better to be young or at least middle aged.

Love to all and to all a good night (it is 5:27PM already).
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2295
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/02 17:48:54 (permalink)
    My breakfast made me feel so good, I went out and bought myself a brand new Harley Davidson!
    BunnySlippers
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/02 18:01:47 (permalink)
    Thank you Mr Mariner! The lake is Lake Tillery in central North Carolina about and hour east of Charlotte - we are right on the water across from Morrow Mountain State Park. Breakfast will be around 10 on Sunday morning and you are most welcome. Sorry we can't be there Saturday morning, but we have to get right with the IRS! Back to the topic, although I cook a good dinner, breakfast seems to be everyone's favorite meal. I keep a handmade book of breakfast recipes in the dining room!
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1509
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/02 18:44:19 (permalink)
    well no one said the "best" Sunday breakfast! Best Sunday breakfast was when we were living in OK, and we had fried rabbit and gravy with biscuits.. I remember asking my daddy.. "these are mean old jack rabbits, right?" and he said, "oh no, these are cute little cottontails, that's why they taste so sweet!"
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6751
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/02 19:59:01 (permalink)
    We don't have breakfast at home on Sundays, I'm usually working. But when the camper goes on the truck and the boat is in the water, it's breakfast galore. One of the best things about these breakfasts is PERCOLATOR coffee! Of course we have everything from fritattas, omelettes, eggs any way, bacon, sausage,homemade corned beef hash, potatoes, toast, fruit, muffins, etc.

When I lived in South Boston my favorite Sunday breakfast was to go to an Irish pub with a bunch of friends and have Irish breakfast: bangers, Irish bacon (made from the loin), blood sausage, potato sausage, fried potatoes, eggs, broiled tomato, Irish soda bread and raisin bread. What a feast!!!
    buttrdish
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/02 20:06:29 (permalink)
    MOUNTAINTOP BACON

1/2 c flour
    1/4 c brown sugar, packed
    1 tsp pepper
    1 lb thick slice bacon

Mix flour, sugar and pepper together, sprinkle on bacon slices. Place bacon on a broiler pan and bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until browned and crisp. Makes 4-6 wonderfully delicious servings.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/03 07:47:07 (permalink)
    -Jennifer--it must be tough to split up your sleep, I need every wink I can get
    and I ain't never had no rabbit for breakfast either.
    -Cap Morgan ---- everyone should have a Aunt Pug but then we would all be
    overweight, or more than we already are
    -Pete - don't blame breakfast on your insanity, it must have been there all
    along.
    -lleechef -- that Boston breakfast should have lasted you all week. Jack
    Higgins writes in his books about a "full Irish Breakfast" but your is
    really amazing. As a kid I liked blood sausage but now you would have to
    hold me down and sit on me to make me eat it. Has spring sprung in Alaska
    yet?
    -buttrdish -- your spelling is bad (can't even spell butter) but your recipe
    is lookiin' mighty gooooood. I will have to give it a try next time I have
    a condo full for breakfast.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/03 18:32:12 (permalink)
    Our favorite Sunday breakfast is to make a fritata with eggs and whatever else is in the fridge.
    Works out great...usually. Along with a piece of toast, some oj or cranberry juice and frsh ground coffee.
    After breakfast...newspaper time.

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6751
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/04 02:29:03 (permalink)
    ancient mariner, oh yeah, we have spring all right, it's 30F and snowing!
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/04 06:34:42 (permalink)
    Olde Swabby, It's a cold and rainy Tuesday here in the N.E. and calling for a little snow this afternoon. So I decided just to call it Sunday. The Hell with it, Corned Beef hash, 3 dropped, homefries w/onions and yes fryed in lard, it has less fat than butter so I've heard, and rye toast. Then I might cap it off with a slice of hot apple pie with a slice of cheddar. Chow Jim
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/04 08:10:36 (permalink)
    Smolley Hoke Jim them is some fancy eats. Love CB hash myself. Haven't had it in years. Think I will go to a good deli counter an buy some CB and cook up a batch next Sunday. Never cooked with lard though and don't plan to try....

aaaaaaaaaaaaand as for you Miss Alaska just hang in there, stay warm and spring will catch up to you, it will be glorious. There ain't nuttin like April, May and June and asparagas and strawberries.
    Fieldthistle
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/04 11:08:54 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Ancient mariner, you are the only soul who has called me, Mr. Fieldthistle, and hopefully
    the last. But in honour of that, I am, this Sunday, going to make the same breakfast you
    said you made last Sunday, minus the coffee. I admire the joy you give to this site,
    Mr. Ancient Mariner.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/04 11:52:57 (permalink)
    Sunday morning is pancakes and bacon.
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/04 12:33:42 (permalink)
    Let me share this...on the Saturday night before Aunt Pug was planning that breakfast, Uncle Wink told me to follow him out to the barn to get the ham. I was bout 12 I guess. so I follow him out to the barn, and he pulls on this string that leads to a bare light bulb, and in the dusty dusk, he pulls out this machete looking thing.
    Then he turns towards this big moldy looking lump hanging in the air,
    and starts whacking mold off of it. Salt is falling to the ground with each whack.

What is that I asked.

That is your breakfast he said. Country ham.

I ain't eating that.

He laughed, yes you will.

And I did. One of my favorite food memories.
    Fieldthistle
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/04 12:36:45 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Captain Morgan, we had a smokehouse when I was young. I know what
    you're talking about.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/04 12:54:43 (permalink)
    On Sunday we usually make omelettes after Church. We stuff them with ground maple sausage, onions, green pepper, and cheddar cheese. When in season, I like a beefsteak tomato on the side. I generally don't have breakfast (unless caffeine counts) during the week so yes we look forward to the Sunday breakfast.

Andrea
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/04 13:37:01 (permalink)
    Sunday morning means a trip to the bakery/deli for lox and bagels. This means plain or poppy seed bagels, plain cream cheese, nova lox. The deli I frequent makes one of the best chocolate covered doughnuts so I may bring one home. Brew a pot of coffee, add the Sunday paper and the morning is complete. We rarely deviate from this routine. It is not as elaborate as the above descriptions, but it sure is a tasty breakfast that I look forward to every week. This has been a tradition ever since I can remember my father taking me with him as a tiny tot.
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/04 13:38:29 (permalink)
    6 small east coast oysters (preferably Cape Cod or Long Island)
    4 of them opened and sitting on ice
    2 oysters chopped and added to 3 fresh eggs
    scramble the eggs and serve with white buttered toast.
    A slurp of ice-cold oyster with only a drop of lemon and a fork of the scrambled /oyster egg combo.................. and a bite of toast............. wash it down with a hot cup of black coffee that was made with the help of a French press. The coffee? is a 50/50 mix of Costa Rican, Ethiopian blend that I personally roasted to a "full city roast" in my back yard the day before and ground 5 minutes before my Sunday breakfast is ready.
    After breakfast I will peruse my humidor and pick out a fine cigar to go along with my second pot of coffee.
    Life is good, thank you God, or whoever is in charge.
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/04 15:37:20 (permalink)
    Every Sunday morning - rain or shine - breakfast consists of homemade biscuits, hashbrowns, sausage and bacon, milk gravy, orange juice, and homemade pear peserves. In the spring, summer, and warm fall days we eat breakfast outside on the back patio. This is the only day I fix breakfast and we really enjoy it.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Sunday Morning Breakfast 2006/04/05 18:05:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

After breakfast I will peruse my humidor and pick out a fine cigar to go along with my second pot of coffee.
    Life is good, thank you God, or whoever is in charge.

A cigar ? What kind? Hopefully a Cohiba or a Romeo Y Julieta or one from the Graycliffe in the Bahamas!

Andrea
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1