Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Sunday at Citi Field

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 43 of 43
leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
Re:Sunday at Citi Field Wed, 07/6/11 8:23 AM (permalink)
Yup...for over 60 years...

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field Wed, 07/6/11 9:39 AM (permalink)
    leethebard

Pigiron,
      I will agree with the "attraction" angle. Hell, our local minor league park would even fit that bill. I think this is a sign of the times. Ballparks ARE a part of a very BIG business...and today must attract and cater to those who frequent the place, the fan base.

I know.  The "old ballpark" and everything that came with it is just about gone forever.  That doesn't mean that I have to like it. 

leethebard

I think I see where you're coming from, now. I'll be at Yankee Stadium friday for the Rays game. I'll tell better then. But just having watched the Yankees-Mets game at Shea,er Citi Field, my first impression was of a claustrophobic place...tall, steel-gray stands,holding out the light. At least Yankee stadium retains the look and field demensions of the original. Friends have told me, sitting in a seat at the new place almost looks the same...It is the concourse, restaurants, museum etc that makes the place so different....and the wide halls,less tight for the crowds. Am I right or wrong?

At Yankee Stadium, they did a phenomenal job of making the inside suggest the old stadium.  It's really beautiful.  But your experience watching the game is going to vary WILDLY depending on where you're sitting.  At the old stadium, the best seats in the house were in the upper deck, between the bases.  It was the perfect view.  Now, the upper deck is so high off the field and so steep, you feel VERY removed from the action.  And if you never had the bleacher experience at the old place, forget it, that's over too.  The new bleachers are a HORRIBLE place to watch the game.  Yes, the concourses are about a billion times better from the old house.  It used to take an hour just to get out of the building from the upper deck. 

At Citi Field, I think that the average seat has a better view than in Yankee.  However, there are many, many sections that have obstructions.  If you sit in the outfield, you're going to lose at least part of the playing field.  Any long fly ball- you have to rely on the crowd reaction to find out what happened (don't count on the scoreboard, you can't see that either.)  But in general, the average upper deck seat has a very, very nice view. 

My #1 complaint about Citi Field (and most new parks) is the idiotic, nonsensical dimensions.  Old ballparks had quirks in the outfiled out of necessity.  Parks like Fenway and Ebbets Field and Tiger Stadium had to be built to fit onto city blocks, so the outfield walls were always funky.  Nobody ever thought to make it 250 feet down the right-field line, or build a 36 foot wall in left field just because it was cool.  They had no choice.  That's ACTUAL charm.  This new trend of building in quirky angles and nook and crannies in the outfield for no good reason is just plain stupid.  At Citi Field, they even went so far as to draw the home run line on the wall with irregular angles just because they thought it would be charming!  There's a 90 foot incline in center field at Minute Maid park FOR NO REASON.  What the hell?!?  I love interesting architecture in stadiums, but manufactured charm is just not my style.   
    Just in case you are interested, I do think that several new stadiums got it right and are vast improvements.  Target Field in Minneapolis, PNC in Pittsburgh, and AT&T Park in SF are my favorites of the new stadiums.  Camden Yards, and Coors Field are bubbilng under. 

leethebard

Anyway,I'll see for myself friday!

You have a very, very good shot at seeing Jeter's 3,000th hit.  That would be awesome.  If you eat at the game (and I recommend that you do not- there's a million better options nearby), try to steak sandwich with fresh horseradish from Loebell's.  It's a crime at $15, but it's fantastic.  Have fun!

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
      Re:Sunday at Citi Field Wed, 07/6/11 11:08 AM (permalink)
      Thanks,pigiron.Been to Coors Field...nice place!!

HDtravlr1

Re:Sunday at Citi Field Wed, 07/13/11 8:02 AM (permalink)
        Need some help from the baseball roadfooders.
        I need 2 tickets to the Yankees the weekend of the New Jersey Hot Dog Tour
        Sunday September 25 is preferred date. I just want to get in and look around during the games. Currently the least expensive seats are $63 for singles. Don't care were we sit. Just not single seats. Any tips on where to get a pair together?
        Are scalpers outside the gates selling the day of like most parks?
        Thanks
        Johnny McClanahan

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
          Re:Sunday at Citi Field Wed, 07/13/11 9:25 AM (permalink)
          You do realize that it is the final homestand of the season for the Yankees....and, if that is not enough to make every game a sellout, they are also playing the hated Red Sox.   On top of THAT, given the current standings, it is possible that series may decide who wins the AL East - or makes the playoffs.

In short, every game will be a sell out....and the thought of "cheap" tickets should probably be out the window.  You will find scalpers outside the stadium, but given the parameters of this series, you will likely pay through the nose unless the Yankees fall way out of contention (doesn't SEEM likely to happen).  If you are adventurous, you can hope for bad weather and try to deal with a scalper in the event of a looming storm.

Pigiron

• Roadfood Insider
            Re:Sunday at Citi Field Wed, 07/13/11 9:41 AM (permalink)
            HDtravlr1

Need some help from the baseball roadfooders.
            I need 2 tickets to the Yankees the weekend of the New Jersey Hot Dog Tour
            Sunday September 25 is preferred date. I just want to get in and look around during the games. Currently the least expensive seats are $63 for singles. Don't care were we sit. Just not single seats. Any tips on where to get a pair together?
            Are scalpers outside the gates selling the day of like most parks?
            Thanks
            Johnny McClanahan

Don't go to Yankee Stadium looking to get a bargain on the street.  It's not going to happen unless you get very lucky and come across a fellow fan with extras.  Bite the bullet and get them on StubHub,  It's a racket, but at least you're guaranteed not to get ripped off.  Your best bet for a bargain is to wait for the prices to drop one day before the game. 

HDtravlr1

Re:Sunday at Citi Field Thu, 07/14/11 8:57 AM (permalink)
              The Travelin Man-I did not realize that was the last home game and the standings. Thank you!

Pigiron-I agree with you Stubhub is probably my best option. Thanks for the suggestion. But, I will not get a actual ticket as a souvenir correct?

Pigiron

• Roadfood Insider
                Re:Sunday at Citi Field Thu, 07/14/11 9:30 AM (permalink)
                These days, the actual ticket stub is a rare thing.  I'm a compulsive saver of stubs too, and I mourn their passing.  If you get an instant ticket or an emailed ticket, there will be no stub.  If you get a ticket FedExed to you, you have a chance of there being a real stub, but not guaranteed.

Here's an insiders tip: before you go into the Stadium, go over to the ticket office and tell them the bar code isn't working.  They will print you out a nice crisp ticket. 
                <message edited by Pigiron on Thu, 07/14/11 9:31 AM>

Howard Baratz

• Total Posts: 445
                  Re:Sunday at Citi Field Thu, 07/14/11 10:07 AM (permalink)
                  wanderingjew

Pig Iron

Yes, that was certainly  egg cream that I had

Pigiron has to be correct that what you had was chocolate syrup and seltzer and not an egg cream since 2nd Ave. Deli is that rarity in today's world, an actual Kosher not just Kosher-syle deli, and the milk necessary to make that an egg cream would therefore be verboten.

HDtravlr1

Re:Sunday at Citi Field Thu, 07/14/11 2:56 PM (permalink)
                    Pigiron-Awesome tip on getting a real ticket stub! Are you a rider with a user name like pigiron? Or a metal person?

Thanks
                    Johnny McClanahan

Pigiron

• Roadfood Insider
                      Re:Sunday at Citi Field Thu, 07/14/11 3:44 PM (permalink)
                      HDtravlr1

Pigiron-Awesome tip on getting a real ticket stub! Are you a rider with a user name like pigiron? Or a metal person?

Thanks
                      Johnny McClanahan

I have no idea what you mean by a "rider", so I guess the answer is no.  I got the nickname way back in my teenage years working as an appentice in building construction, and yes, it's related to the type of iron.

Have fun at Yankee Stadium.  Arrive early to tour the monuments.  It's worthwhile.

HDtravlr1

Re:Sunday at Citi Field Thu, 07/14/11 6:28 PM (permalink)
                        Pig Iron or Iron Pig can mean a Harley-Davidson

HDtravlr1 my handle means I am a Harley-Davidson traveler
                        Most all my roadfood trips are on my motorcycle.
                        My wife and I are looking forward to seeing Yankee Stadium

Thanks again!

HDtravlr1

Re:Sunday at Citi Field Fri, 08/12/11 12:59 AM (permalink)
                          Got two stubhub tickets to the last Yankees regular game of the season. Thanks for everyone's help!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                            Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 43 of 43

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com