Sunday at Citi Field

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7738
2010/09/18 20:11:06 (permalink)

Sunday at Citi Field

Just a brief respite from Heartlanding in the Breadbasket (I'm barely one third of the way done with that report!)

I took a day trip last Sunday, which will be my last trip for a long long long long long time...

Believe it or not I have not been to the two new (two seasons old) NY Ballparks Yet.  My friends back in NY and I decided to rectify the situation. Since they're all married and I'm not, figuring out the best day was the most difficult task, however logistics worked out the best for the Mets game last Sunday afternoon..

Not wanting to deal with traffic, I got a great advance fare on Amtrak- easy in/easy out. Besides just getting back from my big Heartland trip to a new promotion (and lots of stuff to do) at work and hosting a pie eating Pittsburgher here in Rhode Island last Friday Night and all day Saturday the last thing I wanted to do was drive to New York considering all the "light traffic" I tend to catch on the way up and back.

Leaving Rhode Island without breakfast but with a 32 OZ big cup of coffee from my local coffee house, I arrived at Penn Station a little before 11am-just in time for a late breakfast at 
Rose's Pizza

located right in Penn Station for a couple of slices
For Train Station Pizza, Rose's serves solid NY Style Pizza. Surprisingly it has received favorable reviews on Yelp.com

I hop on the LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) and two stops later I arrived at Citi Field

This is what greeted me as soon as I left the Train Station...

Arriving at the Ballpark..

I made sure I walked around exploring all angles of the ballpark..

Finally after arriving in the Rotunda, I decided to check out the Met's Hall of Fame and Museum..

Lots of memorabilia

Original Mets Manager Casey Stengel's Jacket from the 1960's

and of course Mr. Met

Inside the park I was greeted by a really impressive scoreboard

Walking around the park I realized that it was certainly an improvement over its predecessor, Shea Stadium..

Anyway after getting a Brooklyn Lager, the four of us met over near the Shake Shack Concession, about 1/2 hour before the game. We decided to have lunch there. Although the line "looked" long to me my friends told me that the line was surprisingly short. Since the weather was dismal and because the Mets are Lame Ducks, there really wasn't a big crowd at the ballpark.

I've never been to the Shake Shack before. I got a single cheeseburger, my friend Glenn and I shared a Fries and I got a chocolate shake. The burger reminded me of In and Out's. My friends raved over seasoned fries and I found the entire meal extremely ordinary. I'm not sure what the big deal is, unless the Shake Shack concession at the ballpark is sub par (like Primanti's is at PNC Park) (unfortunatley no photos of the meal)

Anyway we sat down at our seats over near right field and watched the game. The Mets were hosting the Phillies that afternoon.

The entire game lacked energy and enthusiasm. It was probably the worst ballgame I went to all season, on top of that it started to rain a little at the bottom of the 8th inning although not enough for a rain delay. Either way the phillies won 3- Zip.

After the game my friend Glenn was nice enough to drive me back into the City. I asked if he wanted to go to Second Avenue Deli for an early Dinner. As soon as I mentioned Second Avenue Deli he rolled his eyes  (kind of like Davydd probably does when I mention Hotdish, Scandinavian Food and Minnesota in the same sentence) Then I have to explain the same thing over and over again whenever I'm back in NY  and mention the words "Jewish Deli" " Yes they're still in business" "No they did not go out of business back in the early 90s" "No I'm not pretending to be my grandfather"

Anyway, when I offered to treat- that convinced him to go...

Unfortunately it was raining fairly steadily by this point and we were lucky to find a parking spot about a block away..

Of course each meal begins with

a pickle tray

and I got

A Dr Brown's Diet Black Cherry Soda... The best diet soda I've ever had...

We started out with an appetizer of Gribenes

aka "Jewish Bacon" or fried chicken skin loaded with caramelized onions...
The best way I could describe this is intense....

We also ordered a side of

Kasha Varnishkes (buckwheat groats with bowtie style pasta)

and for the main course soup with half a sandwich....
In my case

The best Matzoh Ball soup I've ever had at any deli
as well as

The best Pastrami Sandwich

Like the last time I visited 2 years ago. the meal concluded with

A complimentary shot of egg cream..

After dinner, my friend dropped me off at Penn Station and I was back home a little after 11pm..

42 Replies Related Threads

HDtravlr1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 288
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2010/09/18 20:46:39 (permalink)
    Awesome report! I want to go to Second Avenue Deli next time I am in NYC.  I will keep my eyes open for the Dr Brown's Diet Black Cherry. Here in Tulsa our best Diet Black Cherry is from Hansen's.
    post edited by HDtravlr1 - 2010/09/18 20:49:37
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18346
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2010/09/18 22:00:39 (permalink)
    You know, I love gribenes, and I love kasha varniskes. But I'll be damned if I can imagine ever having both at the same sitting.
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 474
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2010/09/19 09:00:46 (permalink)
    Have been craving a good pastrami for a while now - maybe time for a little road trip!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2010/09/19 10:19:04 (permalink)
    Sounds like a great day, Dale. The new ballpark looks great and I envy you the great deli food. congrats on the work promotion.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2010/09/19 13:09:20 (permalink)
    Congratulations Dale!  I'm gonna get me some matzoh ball soup one of these days.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2010/09/19 17:20:24 (permalink)
    Michael & Mr Chips
    If you weren't a few hundred miles away (or a few thousand in Jim's case) I would have inviited you.

Nancy and Tin Tin

The Second Avenue Deli is the least touristy of what's left of the famous NYC Jewish deli's. It's never too crowded.  It's also my favorite.
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2010/09/19 18:02:31 (permalink)
    What wonderful photos. Really, really nice.  I would go to Second Ave. in a heartland heatbeat!

Congratulations on your promotion :-)
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7830
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2010/09/20 10:04:24 (permalink)
    Excellent!  Love your pitching pictures!  Such extension!

So, (Nu?) Are you a new pickle person?  Some call them half done, but they are new to me.  They'd be gone before your camera was out if I was at that table.

Gribenes!  I've heard of them over the years, but I've never seen them on a menu so I've never seen them.  Thanks!  Do they ship?

My only negative comment is that matzo ball is too small!  It looks dense, lucious and inviting but I would want two.

You had room for a sandwich?

Love the complimentary egg cream.

Very smart owners.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5018
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2010/09/20 10:30:22 (permalink)
    I'm trying to identify the "best infield ever"...I'm pretty sure that's John Olerud with his arm around Robin Ventura's neck and the other 2 guys look familiar, but I'll be darned if I can remember their names.

Do the different shapes of the Rose's slices mean anything?

Brad
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2010/09/20 11:22:09 (permalink)
    Mar

Gribenes are intense and unfortunately too much of them is not a good thing.

basically gribenes are just crispy fried chicken skin and considering they're served hot I don't think they would ship very well.

I love both sour and half sour pickels but I think if I had to choose one over the other I'd go with sour.

Don't let the size of those Matzoh Ball fool you- they're bigger than you think- not dense at all- very light and fluffy.

Brad

One slice is classic Neopolitan and the other is a Sicilian slice.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7830
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2010/09/20 12:21:15 (permalink)
    Okay, Dale.  We'll share the pickles.  Glad to hear that the matzo ball's looks are deceiving.

More about the Gribenes.  Yours look like they were deep fried and the onions were added.  Is it possible that they have a coating?

I though they were made by frying the onions with the chicken skin, rendering out the fat and cooking until the skin was crispy.

I'm thinking that maybe my grandmother used to make them.

I would definitely order them if I ever saw them on a menu. Healthy or not healthy!

i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2010/09/20 12:35:04 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Anyway, when I offered to treat...

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6382
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2010/09/20 15:15:40 (permalink)
    i95

wanderingjew

Bwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

You made me spit diet 7 up out my nose!!  Man does lemon lime burn!
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6340
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2010/09/20 15:56:09 (permalink)
    Since when did the Mets play in the Big Tomato? If that sign was supposed to be a Big Apple it was a sorry effort.

I'll gladly trade you a bowl of wild rice soup for that pastrami sandwich.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2010/09/20 18:17:23 (permalink)
    CajunKing

i95

wanderingjew

Bwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

You made me spit diet 7 up out my nose!!  Man does lemon lime burn!

It's possible I may  I have seen a couple of pigs fly by, but what really blew my mind was seeing this  when I actually opened my wallet.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10199
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2010/09/22 03:13:05 (permalink)
    Looking at the new Stadium---It looks like they put up a bunch of Billboards and a Baseball Park suddenly appeared. Never seen that many advertisements at ANY Sports Stadium
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2010/09/22 11:21:50 (permalink)
    Brad_Olson

I'm trying to identify the "best infield ever"...I'm pretty sure that's John Olerud with his arm around Robin Ventura's neck and the other 2 guys look familiar, but I'll be darned if I can remember their names.

Rey Ordonez and Edgardo Alfonso are other two. I believe the headline was based on defense. They were very good that year.

Dale...2nd Ave was always and will always be my favorite of the big bunch.

Oh...and the Mets stink. 
    post edited by Tony Bad - 2010/09/22 11:23:16
    big666dog
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2011/07/02 09:50:06 (permalink)
    2nd Ave. Deli looks great! We did Katz's last trip. 2nd Ave is definitely next for us!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6244
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2011/07/02 13:47:52 (permalink)
    Has anyone been to both new ballparks in NYC...and if so. how do they compare????
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2011/07/05 08:02:24 (permalink)
    leethebard

Has anyone been to both new ballparks in NYC...and if so. how do they compare????

It is tough to compare...both are nice, but the $800,000,000 more spent at Yankee Stadium shows. 
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2011/07/05 10:54:22 (permalink)
    As a lifelong NYer and baseball fanatic, I hate both new stadiums, but I hate the new Yankee Stadium more.  Citi is a non-descript cookie cutter shopping mall pretending to be a classic stadium.  Yankee Stadium is a creepy monolithic shrine that exists for the sole purpose of separating Yankee worshipers from their money.  No, I do not like them.   

@ WJ: Are you sure that's a shot of Egg Cream?  They've always just served me seltzer and chocolate syrup.  Much like the stadiums, I MUCH preferred the original 2nd Ave. Deli to the new incarnation (but I guess I'm biased because I grew up eating there.)  The soup just isn't exactly the same, although the chopped liver is still outstanding.  And the pastrami at Katz's is far, far superior. 

Oh yeah, don't write off the Mets just yet.  They're in 2nd place for the Wild Card playing without Santana, Davis, Wright, etc...  Last week they put up 54 runs (!) in 4 games.  They're playing remarkably well for such a ragtag team.   
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2011/07/05 11:20:36 (permalink)
    Pigiron

As a lifelong NYer and baseball fanatic, I hate both new stadiums, but I hate the new Yankee Stadium more.  Citi is a non-descript cookie cutter shopping mall pretending to be a classic stadium.  Yankee Stadium is a creepy monolithic shrine that exists for the sole purpose of separating Yankee worshipers from their money.  No, I do not like them.   

@ WJ: Are you sure that's a shot of Egg Cream?  They've always just served me seltzer and chocolate syrup.  Much like the stadiums, I MUCH preferred the original 2nd Ave. Deli to the new incarnation (but I guess I'm biased because I grew up eating there.)  The soup just isn't exactly the same, although the chopped liver is still outstanding.  And the pastrami at Katz's is far, far superior. 

Oh yeah, don't write off the Mets just yet.  They're in 2nd place for the Wild Card playing without Santana, Davis, Wright, etc...  Last week they put up 54 runs (!) in 4 games.  They're playing remarkably well for such a ragtag team.   

Sounds more like an attack of the Yankees: "Shrine" "Yankees worshippers" "Don't write off the Mets just yet"..than answering my question about the park itself. Like Fenway,old as it is, is a shrine to a long historic team...shouldn't Yankee Stadium be a aplace that helps promote an historic almosr 100 year tradition???? The park seems to be a modern ball park, while retaining the traditional look of the House that Ruth Built.....any other comments...????
    post edited by leethebard - 2011/07/05 11:21:42
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2011/07/05 12:13:23 (permalink)
    leethebard 
    Sounds more like an attack of the Yankees: "Shrine" "Yankees worshippers" "Don't write off the Mets just yet"..than answering my question about the park itself. Like Fenway,old as it is, is a shrine to a long historic team...shouldn't Yankee Stadium be a aplace that helps promote an historic almosr 100 year tradition???? The park seems to be a modern ball park, while retaining the traditional look of the House that Ruth Built.....any other comments...????

My comments were specifically about the stadium, not the team, I don't really understand how you could have thought otherwise.  What do my comments about the Mets have anything to do with it?  You may be looking for an angle that isn't there.  I'm no Yankee hater.  I am a baseball fan.  It is my observation that the new Yankee Stadium was indeed built as a shrine.  By that I mean, as an attraction, rather than a ballpark.  They are very smart, they know that the Yankees fan base has a religious devotion to the organization, and they built the stadium as a place for people to come and worship (emptying their pockets all the while). The whole thing is very off-putting to me. It just doesn't feel right.  It's too big; it's too monolithic; too much attention is diverted away from the GAME. Where there was once charm, now there is coldness.  Where there was once actual history, now there is the suggestion of it. 

I do not understand the comparison to Fenway at all.  Fenway is the polar opposite of Yankee Stadium. When they build the new one in Boston (and I'm certain that they will), I'm sure they will build a church of Red Sox nation, similar to what they did in the Bronx. 
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8323
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2011/07/05 12:36:06 (permalink)
    I am not an expert on stadiums, but most new ones are a "shrine". Finally went to the new stadium for the Brewers, and dont like it.Granted, grew up with Bud Seligs nieces and nephews( in the 70's) , having had great seats, but like the old stadium much better. Again, as a life long fan of the Brewers-gotta give the Yankees credit-they are incredible this year. Point being, I agree with Pigiron with his assessment of stadiums. He went to a few, didnt like the new ones, and they have become shrines without the old feel of a good baseball field. The only place I have been, whereas they renovated a stadium which kept the "old" feel," is Lambeau.But that is football, and we are discussing baseball( However, the Packers played in the old stadium im Milwaukee-awesome games)
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2011/07/05 16:08:38 (permalink)
    Pigiron,
       I will agree with the "attraction" angle. Hell, our local minor league park would even fit that bill. I think this is a sign of the times. Ballparks ARE a part of a very BIG business...and today must attract and cater to those who frequent the place, the fan base. I think I see where you're coming from, now. I'll be at Yankee Stadium friday for the Rays game. I'll tell better then. But just having watched the Yankees-Mets game at Shea,er Citi Field, my first impression was of a claustrophobic place...tall, steel-gray stands,holding out the light. At least Yankee stadium retains the look and field demensions of the original. Friends have told me, sitting in a seat at the new place almost looks the same...It is the concourse, restaurants, museum etc that makes the place so different....and the wide halls,less tight for the crowds. Am I right or wrong?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2011/07/05 17:35:18 (permalink)
    I agree with Pigiron's opinions about Citi Field and the New Yankee Stadium. I've been to both. 

Although Shea Stadium is the first ballpark I ever went to over 35 years ago and was a staple during my junior high, high school and college years, there is no love lost, and in my opinion, anything is an improvement over Shea, so I'll take Citi Field over Shea Stadium anyday.

As far as the new Yankee Stadium is concerned, it is certainly more "shrinish" than Citi Field. When I visited for the first time this past April,I was ambivalent.  Although the old Yankee Stadium technically wasn't the original, I kept wondering if there was anything they could have done to save it, renovate it or something.  It's a sad fact of reality that everything is now "corporate" and there really isn't much one can do about that. 

Pig Iron

Yes, that was certainly  egg cream that I had and although I like the Pastrami at Katz's I still say it's better at Second Avenue, oh and the Matzoh Ball Soup was better than ever!

ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2011/07/05 19:30:29 (permalink)
    I thought people for the most part liked the new ballparks. I especially have heard positive things about Camden Yards. I haven't been in a major league baseball park in many years but hope to rectify that next year when the new Marlins park opens up.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2011/07/05 20:55:29 (permalink)
    ces1948,
        That's why I'm a bit taken back by the negative comments. I've talked to dozens of Yankee fans,and I've not heard ONE negative opinion. Many of us miss the original, and the 70's version of Yankee Stadium, but everyone I've talked to had great things to say about the new one...If it is a shrine, when you follow the religion, I guess that's sacred ground!! Anyway,I'll see for myself friday!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4522
    Re:Sunday at Citi Field 2011/07/05 21:17:38 (permalink)
    Hey Lee, Are you a Yankee Fan by any chance?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1