* Cut avocados in half and scoop out flesh
* Place in medium, wooden bowl
* Pour lime juice over flesh
* Roughly mash
* Add Shallot, Coriander and Salt
* Mash more
Voila!
Delicious guacamole is at the ready.

Extended article about the recipe above here [Authentic Tex Mex Part 5: How To Make Guacamole]

http://www.scrumptiousche...To-Make-Guacamole#more

scrumptiouschef
post edited by scrumptiouschef - 2011/01/22 20:13:51

28 Replies Related Threads

Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/22 16:42:18 (permalink)
    Gaucamole Smoothies all around for us.
    1 C Yogurt  (Please no low fat flavored stuff) Plain yogurt 100Cal/ low fat flavored 240 Cal.
    1/2 C milk
    1 Avacado cubed
    1 tsp Raw honey
     can add whatever after that. Onion,garlic, tomato diced, diced pepper of choice, lemon .
    Keep amounts small. mix well
    serve and enjoy
    Makes one Smoothie.
    easy to create big batches.

Very ,very healthy 
    But if you are sensitive to Latex stay away from Avacados.

post edited by Curbside Grill - 2011/01/22 17:07:57
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8359
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/22 17:42:35 (permalink)
    My recipe is quite simple:
    2 avocados, mashed
    1/2 onion, diced
    1 tomato, diced
    salt, pepper,garlic powder
    Mix together, refrigerate 1 hour before serving.
    boyardee65
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/22 18:02:47 (permalink)
     OK here's mine:

2 avocados, mashed
     1 medium onion, diced
     1 large tomato, diced
     1 jalapeno or seranno chile, finely diced
     2 cloves garlic, smashed
     1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, diced
     1 TBS red wine vinegar
     the juice of 1 lime
     1/2 tsp cumin
     1 tsp black pepper
     1 tsp sea salt

Mix all ingredients and chill several hours before service.

Enjoy with your favorite chips or top Mexican entrees.

David O.

post edited by boyardee65 - 2011/02/06 21:42:16
    scrumptiouschef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 689
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/22 20:11:27 (permalink)
    Curbside Grill
    That is one seriously delicious sounding concoction. Have you ever considered pouring a little rum in there and having it as a cocktail?

It seems like it would make a good base for a libation.
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/22 20:36:35 (permalink)
    scrumptiouschef

Curbside Grill
    That is one seriously delicious sounding concoction. Have you ever considered pouring a little rum in there and having it as a cocktail?

It seems like it would make a good base for a libation.

I have never tried rum in this. Might work. Now a friend  tells me about a avacado drink he makes. Not gaucamole.
    He will not divulge on amounts of each.
    Avacado, fresh milk, caramel syrup   (Avacado Shake ) recipes everywhere
    then he adds Coffee Liqueur and vanilla ice cream.

post edited by Curbside Grill - 2011/01/23 19:54:14
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/24 14:37:13 (permalink)

A little Tequila added to your favorite gaucamole dip is also quite tasty.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/24 15:09:20 (permalink)
    scrumptiouschef

Ingredients
    2 each Avocados, Haas is the dominant cultivar in these parts
    1 each Shallot, medium, minced
    2 each Lime, juiced
    1 t. Coriander, ground
    1 T. Salt, Kosher or sea
    Method
    * Cut avocados in half and scoop out flesh
    * Place in medium, wooden bowl
    * Pour lime juice over flesh
    * Roughly mash
    * Add Shallot, Coriander and Salt
    * Mash more
    Voila!
    Delicious guacamole is at the ready.

Extended article about the recipe above here [Authentic Tex Mex Part 5: How To Make Guacamole]

http://www.scrumptiousche...To-Make-Guacamole#more

scrumptiouschef

Mine is more like this, to ME, less is more.  I do add a shake of cayenne though.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10250
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/24 15:45:14 (permalink)
    Curbside Grill,
    I don't know?? There's just something not right about drinking something that looks like green algae from a stagnant lily pond!! " />

Anyway, here's my Guacamole Recipe. I took a one-day Mexican foods class from the Scottsdale Culinary Institute and this is the recipe we made that day;
    4 Medium Avocados
    2 oz. Minced Red Onion
    1 Small Minced & Seeded Jalapeno
    1 oz Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
    1 oz Olive Oil
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    Chop it up and mix it up and put it in a non-reactive bowl, like glass and refrigerate for 1 hour
    HINT: Save the Avocado Seed and put in the middle of the mixture and seal bowl with Saran Wrap. The seed along with the lime juice will keep the Guacamole from turning brown.  
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/01/24 15:54:33
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/24 20:41:11 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Curbside Grill,
    I don't know?? There's just something not right about drinking something that looks like green algae from a stagnant lily pond!! " />

HINT: Save the Avocado Seed and put in the middle of the mixture and seal bowl with Saran Wrap. The seed along with the lime juice will keep the Guacamole from turning brown.  

You are probably right for most people but it is thick like a frosty and I eat as a meal. The health benefits from Avacados, tomatoes,garlic and onions. Not going there. I like it. Did S.E. Asia and Avocado drinks everywhere.

Will send the hint to a niece. THX

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5071
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/24 21:17:38 (permalink)
    In Dallas: Mash ripe avocados and spritz with juice from the very small Mexican limes. Use two if they are not juicy. Add sea salt to taste, fine chopped WHITE onion, fresh chopped cilantro and a small amount of hot sauce or salsa of your choice. We like Tapatio (brand) hot sauce. Voila! Thats it. Nothing else! I repeat, nothing else!!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18430
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/24 22:46:49 (permalink)
    I shall never understand why some people feel it necessary to consider a football game a time to have a party. Folks, it's football. Watch the damned game and root for whichever team your points are working best with.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/24 23:55:11 (permalink)
    You're right of course. Tis a time to seriously drink.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/25 02:53:55 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

I shall never understand why some people feel it necessary to consider a football game a time to have a party. Folks, it's football. Watch the damned game and root for whichever team your points are working best with.

Have you noticed---- we include food in EVERY event or cause for Celebration:
    Christmas = Food
    Thanksgiving = Food
    4th of July = Food
    Birthdays = Food
    Anniversary = Food
    Tailgating = Food
    Super Bowl = Food
    Bar Mitzvah = Food
    A Cruise = Food
    An Irish Wake = Booze
    And on and on.
    I'm sure there's something Primal about it. I'll have to ask my Shrink!

Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/25 06:03:22 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Michael Hoffman

Have you noticed---- we include food in EVERY event or cause for Celebration:
    Christmas = Food
    Thanksgiving = Food
    4th of July = Food
    Birthdays = Food
    Anniversary = Food
    Tailgating = Food
    Super Bowl = Food
    Bar Mitzvah = Food
    A Cruise = Food
    An Irish Wake = Booze
    And on and on.
    I'm sure there's something Primal about it. I'll have to ask my Shrink!

Need to meet the group here. They call themselves a Bridge Club. Ha    Every Thursday whoever can attend goes to a local Restaurant,
    by local, can be a 25 mile radius. Then once a month they really do a Roadfood Day trip. I have my own name for the old biddies.
    From 78 years old and down.
    They also plan and do a covered dish meal at work every month. 
    already got their meal plans for every week of Nascar.
    Gaucamole is at three tracks. Texas, Pheonix and Ontario,CA

post edited by Curbside Grill - 2011/01/25 07:30:02
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/25 10:01:11 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Well, yeah.

I'd add, though, that if someone brings or makes good food, that certainly doesn't make the game any worse! What I don't like is the game being secondary; it's the food that is secondary. But let's still make sure it's good food.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1091
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/25 11:30:06 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

The thing is though I don't have a rooting interest in either team or really any team in pro football.  I watch pro football becasue I like the game but in the end I don't care who wins or loses.  I do not generally make a big spread for an Ohio St game because then all I am interested in is the outcome and could care less what I am eating.  In fact during the Wisconsin game this year I actually forgot to eat dinner (though given the outcome I would have been betteroff just skipping it altogether and going out).
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18430
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/25 12:19:57 (permalink)
    hatteras04

Michael Hoffman

The thing is though I don't have a rooting interest in either team or really any team in pro football.  I watch pro football becasue I like the game but in the end I don't care who wins or loses.  I do not generally make a big spread for an Ohio St game because then all I am interested in is the outcome and could care less what I am eating.  In fact during the Wisconsin game this year I actually forgot to eat dinner (though given the outcome I would have been betteroff just skipping it altogether and going out).

I know there was another thread about Super Bowl eating here, and I know that I suggested a Door County Fish Boil to you as the Green Bay side of things. And I know that you referred to a fish fry, and said something about fried fish sandwiches and Pittsburgh. But apparently someone deemed that thread to be worthy of disappearing. Anyway, I wanted to point out that a fish boil means just that. Boil the fish, along with potatoes, maybe corn on the cob, and plenty of drawn butter. No frying.

hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1091
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/25 12:48:55 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

hatteras04

Michael Hoffman

I know there was another thread about Super Bowl eating here, and I know that I suggested a Door County Fish Boil to you as the Green Bay side of things. And I know that you referred to a fish fry, and said something about fried fish sandwiches and Pittsburgh. But apparently someone deemed that thread to be worthy of disappearing. Anyway, I wanted to point out that a fish boil means just that. Boil the fish, along with potatoes, maybe corn on the cob, and plenty of drawn butter. No frying.

Sounds good to me.  I will put on the list of possibilities for the boss (aka wife).
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/25 13:06:01 (permalink)
    I've seen people go to Super Bowl Partys and never watch the Game! Just Eat, Drink, Talk and generally distract those who are trying to watch the game.
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/25 13:19:08 (permalink)
    easy and simple

proportions are up to you, but we usually do the following...

Hass avocado; 3 or so
    juice of 1-2 limes
    kosher or sea salt
    couple hits of hot pepper sauce
    a couple spoonfuls of salsa, optional.

we like our guacamole to taste like avocado; not hot sauce, onion, cilantro, etc.  let the avocado shine.

nothing else.  certainly no sour cream or mayo to extend it.  yuck,
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/25 20:17:20 (permalink)
    Foodbme

I've seen people go to Super Bowl Partys and never watch the Game! Just Eat, Drink, Talk and generally distract those who are trying to watch the game.

That's why I have more than one T.V. with the game on. For those who want to eat and socialize, they have their own set in the kitchen and the rest of us that want to watch the game can watch it on the 40 inch in the living room.  Problem solved!!

David O.
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/01/30 14:22:37 (permalink)
    I make my guac a little different each time but the basic ingredients are:
    Avacados, fresh lime juice, finely diced red onion,handful of cliantro, some kind of hot sauce, kosher salt to tast.
    I find one of the most important thing about guac is buying the avacados.  This little hint I got from Nigella Lawson- buy avacados hard & unripe, set aside on counter until ripened.  I always have 1-2 avacados on the counter, makes great avacado ranch salad dressing, add to any lind of salads, great slices on a omlet.

fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/02/06 10:21:22 (permalink)
    Nachos!!!!!

Tortilla chips, sloppy joe prepared beef, cheddar cheese. 400F 10 minutes.

SOme salsa, guacamole (I put lemon juice in the guac) and sour cream on top.
    Delish!
    No, I don't like refried beans on it....
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/02/06 12:17:55 (permalink)
    Michael, we don't give a whit about the game and will probably only watch it spottily, but we bought party food nonetheless. :)

My guac--and it is good--is finely diced jalapeno, red onion, and fresh cilantro, with a handful of more coarsely chopped cherry tomatoes and avocado (I'm not a masher), stirred together with kosher salt and lime to taste--go easy on the lime and add as needed.  Can't wait.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/02/06 13:40:11 (permalink)
    Not gettin' into the whole Super Bowl food thing this year. We're having a nice shrimp and fennel risotto dinner while watching the game. No guac...no chips...no beer..

I did Brats, potatoes and sauerkraut theme meal for the Packers and Bears game...guess I'm just themed out.
    post edited by Cosmos - 2011/02/06 13:41:33
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8359
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/02/06 14:40:11 (permalink)
    I am not doing a theme at all, just making food we like to eat that I dont often make because of the calorie count!
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1355
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/02/07 12:52:49 (permalink)
    There is a cool restaurant here (Babalu in Jackson, MS) that makes your guacamole tableside. That way you can ask for more or less of certain ingredients. I ask them to leave out the cilantro. It really is good, as is the rest of the food.
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    Re:Super Bowl Is Coming: Time To Start Planning Out Your Guacamole Recipe 2011/02/07 22:29:09 (permalink)
    We had guacamole last night - along with shrimp dip, cheese dip and crab stuffed peppers.  I must say the appetizers were much better than the National Anthem and the halftime show.
    The game was good.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1