Super Duper Weenie

Author
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1743
2003/09/28 00:53:52 (permalink)

Super Duper Weenie

Heading up to Pepes this coming Thursday, but want to check out SDW for a snack in the afternoon. What do you recommend and can you provide directions for easy off and on from 95.

11 Replies Related Threads

Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Super Duper Weenie 2003/09/28 04:19:51 (permalink)
    Exit 24 off I-95. Don't make a sharp right, but bear right through the traffic circle. SDW will be a few hundred yards up on the left.

I've never had anything bad (personal preference: the New Englander), but whatever you order, get French fries with it.
    signman
    RE: Super Duper Weenie 2003/09/29 00:15:13 (permalink)
    Thanks Michael. Finally got the SDW website to come up, so a lot of my questions answered. Only problem will be to not try one of each kind of dog, so as to not spoil my appetite for Pepes. Will definitely have fries, but probably shouldn't have a shake.
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Super Duper Weenie 2003/09/29 03:16:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

Thanks Michael. Finally got the SDW website to come up, so a lot of my questions answered. Only problem will be to not try one of each kind of dog, so as to not spoil my appetite for Pepes. Will definitely have fries, but probably shouldn't have a shake.

Yes, I definitely would not recommend SDW as an appetizer before Pepe's " />. We once stopped at Pepe's as a "first course" on the way to a baroque French dinner in Chester, Connecticut. Big mistake!
    Ace Holleran
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Super Duper Weenie 2003/10/01 16:23:44 (permalink)
    Of course, it is mandatory to stop at SDW on any trek thru SoConn. Hint: Traveling north on I-95, when you get to the M. C. Escher Memorial traffic circle at Exit 24, just keep Syms clothing store on your hard right. SDW will be on left.

Don't dismay; I once had a friend menader through this circle for a good half hour. She finally made it to my house for the pastiest gnocchi on the planet.

And, by the way, I would go to Modern Pizza in New Haven ahead of Sally's or Pepe's--any day. PLUS, there are several excellent pizza joints a stone's throw from SDW. Write for info.

Gary, Loren, John and crew do a stupendous job at SDW (order a "cally"--short for Calirofnia dog, and you'll really be in the know!). I'm glad Roadfood folk appreciate them. My first post. Not my last.

Ace Holleran
    Bridgeport
    signman
    RE: Super Duper Weenie 2003/10/01 17:01:15 (permalink)
    Ace, Thanks for the input. At SDW I think I'm going for the Dixie Dog. I just don't get a chance to have what is commonly referred to as a slaw dog very often.

Where is Modern in New Haven? Just found out from my friend who's driving that we will end up with 4 people at Pepe's, so after a couple of white clam pie slices, I could probably handle some red at Modern, just for medicinal purposes of course.

I leave in the morning.
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Super Duper Weenie 2004/06/03 22:19:07 (permalink)
    signman -

I see this post is about 8 months too late for you, but Modern Pizza is on State St near Humphrey St.

As for SDW, I have some news for the group.

I was there this evening, (Cali, Dixie, and Chicago) and found out from Gary's brother that there will be a SECOND SDW in the near future in Stratford CT.

They bought the former "Heck of a Hot Dog", are remodeling it, and hope to be open in about THREE WEEKS.

He said everything will be exactly the same as Fairfield, menu-wise.

It's location will be in Paradise Green on Main St, just north of Wilcoxson Ave. - about 1.25 mile drive from Danny's Drive-In on Ferry Blvd.

Not a bad way to double up, and I agree with Michael Stern - DON'T SKIP THE FRIES !
    signman
    RE: Super Duper Weenie 2004/06/04 12:25:02 (permalink)
    Good info like this is timeless. Fact of the matter is, last fall I never made it to SDW, was running late and not enough time to have a hot dog and still do justice to the pizza at Pepe's. 4 of us ended up ordering way too much there anyway.

I think I have an excuse to get up that way again over Labor day so will make SDW a priority.
    greasewheel
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Super Duper Weenie 2004/06/04 13:16:55 (permalink)
    I mentioned something on a different thread but I'll say it here again. I was at SDW a couple weeks ago and was talking to Gary and he told me he just moved to the Newtown area. He didn't mention it at the time but I heard via my sister,(who dated Gary for years) that he was thinking about opening up a SDW in that area as well. Anybody heard about this? Maybe I'll make it down there this weekend and find out. Living in the NW corner of the state it would be nice to have a SDW off the I-84 corridor.
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Super Duper Weenie 2004/06/04 17:03:42 (permalink)

Exact address of new SDW in Stratford -

3696 Main St.

7 3/4 miles from my front door, although the 14 to Fairfield isn't that bad.
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Super Duper Weenie 2004/06/22 17:38:46 (permalink)
    I called the Fairfield store today for info on the new locations.

Stratford will open on July 1 - possibly a day or two before.

The Monroe location (I was told jct of Rts. 59 & 25) is a way off, as they are just beginning the gutting process.

This would be about 1.5 to 2 miles south of Mr. Mac's Canteen.

Happy dogging!
    long dog
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Super Duper Weenie 2004/06/29 18:10:33 (permalink)
    FYI -

Stratford opened yesterday.

Hours are:

M-Tu-W: 11AM-4PM
    TH-F-Sa: 11AM-8PM
    Sun: 11AM-6PM

I got there today at 4:03, and the "SORRY, we're closed sign" was already in the door.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1