Super Scallops

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
2003/04/18 16:18:22 (permalink)

Super Scallops

I was driving in Nova Scotia last year. While driving from Halifax, I wanted to go the Bay of Fundy where it is reported that they have the largest tides in the world and are reported up to 50 feet. I made Digby NS my destination because I was told that they are the scallop capital. I got there about 2:00PM and went straight to the docks. I was told there that they did not sell them directly off the dock but to go to Sams which was just a couple of blocks up the street. I went to Sams and since it was in the middle of the afternoon, nobody was there. I told him I wanted some fried scallops. He said that would be $5.00 Canadian which was about $4.00 US. I gave it to him and he returned about ten minutes later with what I guessed with about two pounds of wonderful steaming hot spiced fried golden brown scallops. They were in a huge box. I enjoyed the next half hour on the Bay of Fundy watching the tide come in with a bottle of the Canadian best.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

35 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: Super Scallops 2003/04/18 16:28:21 (permalink)
    I enjoy the large 'Sea' scallops much more the the mini-Bay type. Especially battered and deep fried as you described. Whole belly clams and fried scallops are indeed the best of the shellfish in my humble opinion.
    silvrlvr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Super Scallops 2003/04/18 16:57:17 (permalink)
    A lovely treat are Maine shrimps, when they are in season. Little sweet things. There is a restaurant in East Sandwich Mass called The Beehive that can fry seafood PERFECTLY. They often feature them as a lunch special. Another place to have seafood nearby is Seafood Sam's, not at all upscale but perfect at the end of a warm sandy day.
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Super Scallops 2003/04/19 11:42:28 (permalink)
    If you can find them try the dry shucked scallops. Most scallops are shucked on the boat and washed in a bleaching solution to make them all white, this causes them like chicken to take on moisture. Real ones have a light orange colour in some. These are so sweet you can eat them raw. Sliced thin with a little olive oil and lemon, course sea salt sprinkled over. Great off the backyard grill as well.
    I spent a couple of weeks around Lunenberg N.S. and did not eat meat the whole time. Any place where one can get a lobster salad sandwich from a supermarket bunker, 8 paks of Alexander Keith's well life can be pretty good.
    muzzlehatch
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Super Scallops 2003/06/22 00:18:54 (permalink)
    Best seafood meal I ever had was probably some absolutely fresh sea scallops caught from a boat that docked at the pier that the restaurant I ate them at was located on, in Bonita Beach (I think, its been a while) Florida. Huge golden-orange sea scallops cooked with just butter and a hint of garlic, just absolutely amazing. Seems criminal to eat anything less good now, but alas I'm probably never going to live anywhere that I can get them that fresh...
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Super Scallops 2003/06/22 10:26:01 (permalink)
    There was some comment about sea scallops being better than the little "bay" scallops. They are both excellent. The problem is, what are usually sold as "bay" scallops are really coquinas and not particularly great to eat - although I've had some pretty good dishes in private homes in Florida.

The real bay scallop is typified by those from Niantic Bay in Rhode Island. They are small, they are delicious, they are scarce and expensive and worth every penny.

We were lucky enough to spend a few weeks on St Margarets Bay in Nova Scotia a few years ago. Our teen age sons went diving in 40 degree water about 50 ft deep and came up with a few dozen enormous blue-eyed scallops (we all could have gone to jail for this paoching).
    We sauted them in butter, a bit of lemon squirted on and we feasted as well as we have ever done. The next day, trying to outdo themselves, the boys snorkeled around in shallow water and speared a bunch of sand dabs (considered not very edible by many) which, like fresh sunnies, turned out to be a delicious meal.
    wesza
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Super Scallops 2003/08/08 16:02:57 (permalink)
    I'm convinced that some of the Best Scallops, are available in Seattle. They are so good that the Sing to you. That's right we are able to purchase live ,in the shell, "SINGING SCALLOPS". They are called Singing Scallops, due to the way they open and close the shells while swimming. The Scallop's are medium sized, with the coral [in season], served at Sushi Bars and Asian Restaurants. When we have them at home, we often Cook over Charcoal, Steam, or Saute. They are like candy when fried. My Grandchildren, take the Shells to school for show and tell.
    St. Louis Browns fan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Super Scallops 2003/08/08 17:10:33 (permalink)
    Except for scallops, I'm not a big fan of shellfish. Give me a few days on the Atlantic coast, and I could do some real damage to the scallop supply.
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Super Scallops 2003/08/08 23:09:40 (permalink)
    Niantic Bay abuts Niantic CT.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Super Scallops 2003/08/08 23:21:04 (permalink)
    Damn! and I used to teach geography...
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Super Scallops 2003/08/10 16:41:14 (permalink)
    I just got back from the scallop festival in Digby Nova Scotia. Great food but the way I had the scallops was BBQ'd and they were super and sweet.

Lobster is my favorite, but scallops are close behind.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4138
    RE: Super Scallops 2003/08/10 17:29:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Lobster is my favorite, but scallops are close behind.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I agree----some of life's decisions are REALLY tough!
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Super Scallops 2003/08/13 09:05:36 (permalink)
    This weekend I purchased large (10 to a lb.) sea scallops at Cosco. I floured them in Wonder,(Wondra) flour which is very fine. Sauteed in EVOO till lightly brown on the outside. I sauteed shallots and garlic, a tablespoon of dijon mustard, the milky liquid left from the sacallops and some heavy cream for a sauce. The scallops were sweet and delicious; best I've bought retail in northern nj. I'll be back this weekend for more.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7387
    RE: Super Scallops 2003/08/14 11:55:55 (permalink)
    Every year at the restaurant I would do a wine dinner with the winemaker/proprietor on the premisis to explain the different wines that accompanied the 5 or 6-course meal. Thank God my seafood supplier was always able to get me "diver scallops", usually U4s or U6s......I pan seared them in really HOT EVOO then set them in a pool of lobster nage with a vegetable brunoise on top and a slab of lobster tail which had been poached in pure butter. Decadent at best.....the winemakers always remembered me as the "scallops like hockey pucks" chef. Living and eating well is the best revenge, you can be sure.
    The-Porcus
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Super Scallops 2003/11/30 14:21:31 (permalink)
    I love breaded scallops so long as the "breading" is fine, fine crumbs not that heavy crust that makes the scallop more like a hash brown in texture. I also love to put scallops in chowders - added after the rest of the chowder is steaming hot in the pot and then served almost immediately.

A penchant have I for raw scallops! I recall many years ago driving along on PEI having bought scallops "off the boat". I purchased a lemon, squeezed half of it into the scallop bag and munched almost a pound of them while I cruising along driving.
    SharonTriv
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Super Scallops 2003/11/30 17:08:13 (permalink)
    The best scallops I ever had were in New Brunswick, Canada, also along the Bay of Fundy. We were headed to St. John and about 10 or 15 miles before reaching that town we saw a place called The Bay Breeze Restaurant. We stopped and had a wonderful experience there--broiled scallops prepared perfectly. We ordered a local beer while we were at it--Alpine which is also excellent and supposedly found only in New Brunswick. O! Canada!
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Super Scallops 2003/11/30 17:10:49 (permalink)
    I love making scallop kabobs. I use the large sea scallops along with red and green pepper strips, onion quarters, and cherry tomatoes. I marinate the skewers in a teriyaki marinade and grill 'em on the bbq.
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 863
    RE: Super Scallops 2003/11/30 18:26:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I was driving in Nova Scotia last year. While driving from Halifax, I wanted to go the Bay of Fundy where it is reported that they have the largest tides in the world and are reported up to 50 feet. I made Digby NS my destination because I was told that they are the scallop capital. I got there about 2:00PM and went straight to the docks. I was told there that they did not sell them directly off the dock but to go to Sams which was just a couple of blocks up the street. I went to Sams and since it was in the middle of the afternoon, nobody was there. I told him I wanted some fried scallops. He said that would be $5.00 Canadian which was about $4.00 US. I gave it to him and he returned about ten minutes later with what I guessed with about two pounds of wonderful steaming hot spiced fried golden brown scallops. They were in a huge box. I enjoyed the next half hour on the Bay of Fundy watching the tide come in with a bottle of the Canadian best.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

They should film your story and run it every Christmas! Sounds downright idyllic.

I have a friend who wouldn't eat scallops when she learned they had blue eyes - I told her I'm partial to brown eyes but that never stopped me enjoying a good steak.

Are there any guidelines prohibiting selling fake scallops as the real thing? Once at Edisto Island we were at the pier where a guy had caught a ray; he was going to make 'scallops' out of it using a piece of pipe for a punch. He was the subject of a lot of unfair laughs later on; particularly hearing his young son chirping 'Kill it! - Get the gun!'
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Super Scallops 2005/03/14 17:12:35 (permalink)
    I love good seafood, but good sea scallops are a true delicacy to me. I fry them in oil or butter, and serve them usually with stir fried veggies in the wok.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Super Scallops 2005/03/14 17:19:44 (permalink)
    I find this whole discussion somewhat shellfish.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Super Scallops 2005/03/14 17:43:43 (permalink)
    Gordon, something tells me you've been waiting a helluva long time to use that line.
    Mitchell25418
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Super Scallops 2005/03/17 11:12:11 (permalink)
    Hey vince, I heard a similiar tale. A friend of mine is a cook, and warned that whenever eating scallops in a restuarant, make sure that they aren't covered in a thick sauce & are irregular in shape. He said many times when the price of scallops is high, cooks will "punch" scallops out of sole. Amazing.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18948
    RE: Super Scallops 2005/03/17 11:19:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mitchell25418

Hey vince, I heard a similiar tale. A friend of mine is a cook, and warned that whenever eating scallops in a restuarant, make sure that they aren't covered in a thick sauce & are irregular in shape. He said many times when the price of scallops is high, cooks will "punch" scallops out of sole. Amazing.

I've never heard of punching scallops out of sole. Usually they use shark.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Super Scallops 2005/03/18 16:42:13 (permalink)
    Just got home from our local fishmonger's and genuine Niantic Bay Scallops were selling for $19.50/ lb.

Cheers, John
    SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Super Scallops 2005/03/18 18:18:01 (permalink)
    Scallops are often punched out of sea sun fish.

After years of sauteing, broiling and poaching, I've settle on frying with a fine crumb coating as the best way to do scallops. Frying with a coating seems to hold all the flavor of the scallop in the scallop. . . they just seem tastier that way.
    My better half, who loves scallops but doesn't like fried coatiings, removes it from the scallop, but agrees they taste best when cooked that way.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Super Scallops 2005/03/22 22:42:47 (permalink)
    Besides being a connection to a great seafood site, the following address comments on fake scallops.

http://www.nyseafood.org/dc.asp?dc_id=52&node_id=231&document_id=3198&func=view_doc
    CCBAMA21
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Super Scallops 2005/04/29 15:29:37 (permalink)
    I've heard that many of the larger scallops in restaurants are actually punched out of shark meat, as well. Also that the smaller the scallop, the better chance its a real scallop. I like 'em all.

CC
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2042
    RE: Super Scallops 2005/04/29 15:48:13 (permalink)
    New Bedford and Digby scallops are a great conservation story. When "closed" areas are reopened, they get great amounts of wonderful sea scallops. The efforts (unlike the salmon restoration project)have yielded better than expected results. By putting rotating areas off limits, and allowing scallops to grow and reproduce, an industry has been restored, and is now "sustainable". Yum. I am not a big fan of the Chinese "bay" scallops. At 2.99 per pound, I buy them, but they are never as good as the sea scallops.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Super Scallops 2005/04/29 18:04:10 (permalink)
    You can always tell if you have real scallops (before cooking) by looking for that tough little strip of yellowish/gray fibrous tissue attached to one side of the scallop. It is usually removed before cooking, so that test wont work in a restaurant.

Cheers, John
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Super Scallops 2005/04/29 18:49:22 (permalink)
    sounds FANTASTIC. fresh scallopscan be so amazing. once i had a single" maine diver scallop" prepared for me at the late Couvron restaurant in Pdx that made me swoon. Last time i was home, on " the Cape" i got some cape cod local scallops at the fish mkt and baked them in the oven covered lightly in cream white wine and lemon and buttered bread crumbs on top. awe inspining i tell you
    freakin' wonderful
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1