Superbowl in Detroit...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
2006/01/17 03:18:35 (permalink)

Superbowl in Detroit...

Personally, I'd rather go hit American or Lafeyette Coney Island in Detroit then see the SuperBowl.. Other then the Half time show, I'd rather see the action on TV with all the replays and close ups. (Like when I hit the NASCAR or INDY car races, I've learned to tape these events to see what all I missed).

Anyways, Rolling Stones are playing the half time event... Was pretty funny a month or so ago when they announced they needed people to stand in the field and cheer them on.. Must be under 45 years of age to participate. It was apparently too strenuous for someone over 45 to stand for the length of the concert and bounce around.. (What, the concert lasts like 30 minutes or so??)??

So just saw this on Yahoo: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060116/ap_en_tv/tv_super_show_4 And seems the NFL has changed their tune... Maybe Mick will have a wardrobe failure! ha ha.. (I hope not)... Maybe the NFL can tolerate a little more embarrassment? Either way, it gave me a chuckle... AGAIN!

42 Replies Related Threads

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/17 19:16:31 (permalink)
    Not that their music is all that strenuous to dance to anyway.
    But I do like the idea of Aaron Neville singing the National Anthem.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/17 19:41:40 (permalink)
    I got no dog in this fight. I am sorry that the Colts are out of it. I probably will not watch the match. Half time will be the best part.

Paul E. Smith.
    Knoxville, TN
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/17 21:24:22 (permalink)
    Speaking of half time shows that use to be a big thing with college games on TV but has gone by the boards now. Always loved to watch the Harvard Yale half time show a surprise every year. Now all we get to see is the talking heads. Chow Jim
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3469
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/18 01:28:56 (permalink)
    My only regret is that I'm working in East Lansing for two months instead of being over in Detroit working the halftime show and/or the associated parties. But what the heck...it's better money.
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/20 17:37:30 (permalink)
    I prefer my Superbowl to be filled with a thick cheese topped chili or that new special K cereal with fruit and yogurt
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/21 16:19:41 (permalink)
    Go Broncos!!!!!!!
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/22 17:18:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx

Go Broncos!!!!!!!
    My 454 equipped Blazer will out mud your bronco anyday!
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1560
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/22 20:00:26 (permalink)
    I would highly recommend Detroit for the Super Bowl. If your team wins, you can flip over cars, commit arson, riot and loot- just like any other evening in Detroit.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/23 02:33:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by saps

I would highly recommend Detroit for the Super Bowl. If your team wins, you can flip over cars, commit arson, riot and loot- just like any other evening in Detroit.

Haven't been there recently, have you?
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6727
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/25 06:11:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx

Go Broncos!!!!!!!

What? The Broncos are ALREADY GONE! Detroit is going to be all about BLACK AND GOLD! Oh, I forgot, those guys wearing TEAL may show up. No matter. There will be PLENTY of Terrible Towels! GOOOOOO STEELERS!!
    saps
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/25 12:14:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by felix4067

quote:

No, and no desire to. As of most recent city crime stats (2004), Detroit is the 2nd most dangerous city in the country (Camden is 1st) in areas of over 75,000, and out of metro areas, is still considered the worst in the country.

I understand they have done some things in preparation for the Super Bowl to make things nicer- hopefully it carries over afterwards.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/25 14:53:09 (permalink)
    I was initially upset over the Superbowl in Detroit.
    I was quoted as saying "I'd be upset if I were a Seattle fan and waited 30 years to go to...Detroit."
    On the one hand, I think warm weather outdoor games are the best place for a bowl game, both in College and for the Superbowl.
    Personally, I would never spent that much money on a ticket to go to Detroit, Minneapolis, Indianapolis or any other Northern city for that matter in Jan or Feb.

But, the Ford company helped to finance the NFL when the NFL wasn't making money in it's early years and it built Detroit a new domed stadium (to replace that piece of crap Silver Dome in uglytown...er, um Pontiac) with their own money. I think Detroit deserves the game in their city for those reasons.

I'm pulling for the Steelers, because I always root for the AFC. I wouldn't go to Detroit to see the game, but I'm happy for Detroit and for the Ford family.

berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/25 15:10:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

Anyways, Rolling Stones are playing the half time event... Was pretty funny a month or so ago when they announced they needed people to stand in the field and cheer them on.. Must be under 45 years of age to participate. It was apparently too strenuous for someone over 45 to stand for the length of the concert and bounce around.. (What, the concert lasts like 30 minutes or so??)??

So just saw this on Yahoo: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060116/ap_en_tv/tv_super_show_4 And seems the NFL has changed their tune... Maybe Mick will have a wardrobe failure! ha ha.. (I hope not)... Maybe the NFL can tolerate a little more embarrassment? Either way, it gave me a chuckle... AGAIN!

I can't believe it. The Stones are all in their 60's, and their original fan base is in their 50's and 60's, and the NFL didn't want anyone over 45 to be in the "official" crowd. Talk about nerve. If they didn't change their tune, I hoped someone would sue them for age discrimination.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/25 15:56:06 (permalink)
    Good point Scorereader, on that note I hope it's a success there. Just wondering how many Toyotas will be in the parking lot though. Chow Jim
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/25 15:57:56 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

No, and no desire to. As of most recent city crime stats (2004), Detroit is the 2nd most dangerous city in the country (Camden is 1st) in areas of over 75,000, and out of metro areas, is still considered the worst in the country.

I understand they have done some things in preparation for the Super Bowl to make things nicer- hopefully it carries over afterwards.

Perhaps it is a dangerous city...but your stereotype of riots, looting, and setting things on fire was offensive. And I don't even live on that side of the state. I live in the suburbs of Grand Rapids.

Speaking as a female who works fairly frequently in downtown Detroit (for the last ten years), and who walks to my car alone, at night, over several blocks...it's not that bad. Yeah, there are bad areas. But downtown, you know, where Ford Field is? Not so much. I feel absolutely confident driving, walking, and working downtown Detroit at all hours of day or night.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/25 17:06:45 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Perhaps it is a dangerous city...but your stereotype of riots, looting, and setting things on fire was offensive. And I don't even live on that side of the state. I live in the suburbs of Grand Rapids.

Speaking as a female who works fairly frequently in downtown Detroit (for the last ten years), and who walks to my car alone, at night, over several blocks...it's not that bad. Yeah, there are bad areas. But downtown, you know, where Ford Field is? Not so much. I feel absolutely confident driving, walking, and working downtown Detroit at all hours of day or night.

I thought the riots, fires and looting only happended in Ann Arbor after a Michigan win over OSU.
    saps
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/25 18:45:29 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I like Grand Rapids, and they seem to be doing a lot to increase that city's vitality.

I suppose what I said may be a stereotype today, but I recall that during Devil's Night for years hundreds of fires were set. I also remember a particularly violent night the last time the Tigers won the Series. Unfortunately, those are the visions of Detroit that most of us have embedded in our minds.. I don't know if it is the city or state government, but the fact that such a metro area as Detroit has remained in roughly the same state of disrepair for decades is unconscionable.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/25 18:56:42 (permalink)
    We had a business downtown Detroit in the Kale buiding directly across from Grand Circus park. I walked everywhere downtown and never had a problem. I enjoyed the festivals they had down on the river almost every weekend.

I returned to Detroit about a year ago and drove down Woodward Avenue. That part of Detroit was a war zone. I am glad i did it early on a Sunday morning.

I guess like all major cities, portions of the city is not safe but I would imagine that during that major sporting event, security will be overwhelming.

I had friends that lived there in parts of the city that was beautiful. One lived on Grosse Isle. I thought it was a beautiful place.

Good luck to Detroit with their sporting event. I guess I will be pulling for Pittsburg although the other team has never won a super bowl.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    saps
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/25 19:04:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

We had a business downtown Detroit in the Kale buiding directly across from Grand Circus park. I walked everywhere downtown and never had a problem. I enjoyed the festivals they had down on the river almost every weekend.

I returned to Detroit about a year ago and drove down Woodward Avenue. That part of Detroit was a war zone. I am glad i did it early on a Sunday morning.

I guess like all major cities, portions of the city is not safe but I would imagine that during that major sporting event, security will be overwhelming.

I had friends that lived there in parts of the city that was beautiful. One lived on Grosse Isle. I thought it was a beautiful place.

Good luck to Detroit with their sporting event. I guess I will be pulling for Pittsburg although the other team has never won a super bowl.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I'm not a Steeler fan, but I've always liked Jerome Bettis, and I hope he can finish his career with a championship.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/25 19:09:35 (permalink)
    Yay Pittsburgh!
    The Bear
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18346
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/25 22:49:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I thought the riots, fires and looting only happended in Ann Arbor after a Michigan win over OSU.

There must not be any rioting looting or fires there then. Has Michigan actually beaten OSU?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15212
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/25 23:12:10 (permalink)
    Indiana Did Last Week!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4726
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/26 04:23:32 (permalink)
    The Seahawks, as usual, get no respect or love. That will change Ferbruary 5th.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/26 08:23:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    I suppose what I said may be a stereotype today, but I recall that during Devil's Night for years hundreds of fires were set. I also remember a particularly violent night the last time the Tigers won the Series. Unfortunately, those are the visions of Detroit that most of us have embedded in our minds.. I don't know if it is the city or state government, but the fact that such a metro area as Detroit has remained in roughly the same state of disrepair for decades is unconscionable.

During Devil's Night....in the 1980's, barely into the 1990's.
    The last time the Tigers won the Series...in 1984.

Your information is woefully out of date. Which was basically my point.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/26 08:31:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman
    There must not be any rioting looting or fires there then. Has Michigan actually beaten OSU?

Quite a few times, actually!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan-Ohio_State_Rivalry
    saps
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/26 12:39:14 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

During Devil's Night....in the 1980's, barely into the 1990's.
    The last time the Tigers won the Series...in 1984.

Your information is woefully out of date. Which was basically my point.

Right. I pretty much admitted that.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/26 14:02:02 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Quite a few times, actually!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan-Ohio_State_Rivalry

Man, EVERYTHING is in wikipedia.
    great link.

We Are Penn State!
    saps
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/26 14:15:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mr chips

The Seahawks, as usual, get no respect or love. That will change Ferbruary 5th.

They have no real history in the NFL like the Steelers, Bears, Packers, Raiders, etc, and no real established reputation over time. Because of their market, they are kind of a faceless team, despite Shaun Alexander's awesome year.

I've always thought of Seahawks teams as finesse-type teams, rather than smash-mouth. If they play like they played last week, they will win the Super Bowl. Their defense is much better than I thought.

I've always kind of liked them, actually, but more so back in the days that they had Jim Zorn, Steve Largent, and Curt Warner.
    saps
    RE: Superbowl in Detroit... 2006/01/26 17:49:19 (permalink)
    Here is an article on the Super Bowl and Detroit's attempts to bring back the city-

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11012380/
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1