Sweatmans

Author
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
2004/11/16 13:08:44 (permalink)

Sweatmans

This past Sunday, the Sterns were talking about Sweatmans on our local NPR station.
Brought back fine memories of eating there about ten months ago.
Its in Holly Hill, NC and only opens Friday and Saturday.
Ribs are great, but the pork skins and hash are also terrific.
Outstanding place for Q.
If it wasn't for Roadfood.com, never, ever would I have found this
fabulous place.

25 Replies Related Threads

huntryce
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Sweatmans 2004/11/16 13:12:09 (permalink)
    Holly Hill, SOUTH Carolina. ANd yes. It is fine eating! Sorry I missed the NPR show.
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sweatmans 2004/11/17 15:34:45 (permalink)
    Sorry and I apologize to South Carolinians.
    I get my Carolinas mixed up.
    I am still a NJ northerner but within the next
    year or two, I expect to transplant to a warmer
    state with sailing available most of the year.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Sweatmans 2004/11/17 16:31:06 (permalink)
    Howard,
    Your apology arrived just in time! It is my understanding that the War between the States began NOT because of the issues of Slavery or States Rights, But rather because some Carpetbagger from New Jersey said something about "Ya seen one Carolina, Ya seen 'em All !!!"

I wish that on our recent trip down to Savannah that Sweatmans had been open. We had been looking forward to stopping there. However NEXT time we will schedule the early weekend to be in SOUTH CAROLINA !
    shanklemsw
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Sweatmans 2004/11/18 09:12:57 (permalink)
    Ah yeah the two Carolinas are different! LOL! I'm from one and live in another, so I bear allegiance to both.

Al-The-Mayor let me know when you are coming down and I'll show you some fun spots like Seewee and Momma Brown's! Did you go to Lady and Sons while in Savannah?
    huntryce
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sweatmans 2004/11/18 09:35:53 (permalink)
    It's ok howard8. You're forgiven. I hope when you relocate you'll find most of us Southerners pretty easy to get along with. BTW, does your local NPR station archive its shows? Would you have a link?

shanklemsw, I too am from one but live in the other. Reared in Statesville North Carolina and relocated to Columbia South Carolina in 1981. Where do you "stay?"
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Sweatmans 2004/11/18 09:47:08 (permalink)

Yeah Poverty Pete and Jan and I had a good dinner at Lady and Sons one evening in Savannah. We will be headed your way in the early Fall next year (We Hope!)
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Sweatmans 2004/11/20 07:20:35 (permalink)
    The Sundancer made a stop yesterday at Sweatmans in Holly Hill, SC. I expected a place with poor appearance with good BBQ. I was wrong. The appearance of the place is very nice and the BBQ was way above average. I had the ribs, pulled pork, slaw, fried skins and hash. It was buffet style and very good. They use a mustard based sauce. It was better than I expected it to be.

Thanks to the call I made to Bushie, I found the place. I drove about 20 miles out of my way but it was worth it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Sweatmans 2004/11/20 09:15:42 (permalink)
    MUSTARD SAUCE!That says it all,Take some inferior meat and smother it in a MUSTARD SAUCE and there you have it,SOUTH CAROLINA BBQ!
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sweatmans 2004/11/20 10:04:24 (permalink)
    jellybear
    You have no idea.
    I had the same picks at Sweatmans as the Sundancer.
    That was about a year ago and I still remember the
    quality experience the three of us had.
    Sweatmans is truly a gem; a diamond in the rough.
    How can you knock a place you haven'tried?
    Jim in NC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Sweatmans 2004/11/20 10:05:43 (permalink)
    Sweatman's does not produce inferior meat. It seems to me to be slightly better on Fridays though.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Sweatmans 2004/11/22 10:06:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jellybear

MUSTARD SAUCE!That says it all,Take some inferior meat and smother it in a MUSTARD SAUCE and there you have it,SOUTH CAROLINA BBQ!

As a native South Carolinian ... I'm a bit insulted !

That's painting with a broad brush don't you think ??? South Carolina BBQ DOES NOT have such a narrow definition. It depends on the area of the state you are in as to which type of BBQ you get. Manning SC has a wonderful place that serves Vinegar based Q, Sumter has a great place that serves Catsup based Q, and the Mustard based Q is in many different places. Q quality does vary ... but there are many excellent places to eat it here in South Carolina.

My .02 worth !
    dixiebrave
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Sweatmans 2004/11/22 10:48:08 (permalink)
    Thank you SCBuzz! I was thinking the same thing when I read Jellybear's comment. I live in Columbia, and even here, in the heart of mustard-based territory, we have several places that serve vinegar or tomato-based sauces. Many Q places serve several styles! As for mustard based sauce--don't knock it till you've tried it! It's good stuff!
    dixieken
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Sweatmans 2005/01/17 00:22:29 (permalink)
    Ya'll said it. I'm from Sumter, SC and when a PBS show said we ate MUSTARD BASED SAUCE, I nearly blew chunks.

I was raised on Ward's BBQ and its ketchup based. D&H in Manning has good Vinegar based. But, my dadies and grandaddies ketchup, vinegar, black pepper suce is the best!!!!!

I'll eat Maurices Mustard sauce; but on my fries, not on my meat.

BTW, anyone who wants to eat the best damned hash in the world, try Ward's in Sumter!!!! My family buys it by the gallon at Christmas time. Many a Christmas morning I've had Ward's hash and rice for Breakfast!!!!!!!!

Absolutely the best!!!!
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Sweatmans 2005/01/17 19:24:19 (permalink)
    quote:

I prefer the NC vinegar based barbeque but there certainly isn't anything inferior about Sweatman's meat. We had a tour of the area where they were cooking the half hogs and it was just wonderful to see; the people tending the meat took great pride in what they were doing. Barbeque sauce is very different in different areas of the country but to say someone uses a certain sauce to mask inferiour meat is being very unfair in my opinion. I love Sweatman's!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: Sweatmans 2005/01/17 19:34:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:

I prefer the NC vinegar based barbeque but there certainly isn't anything inferior about Sweatman's meat. We had a tour of the area where they were cooking the half hogs and it was just wonderful to see; the people tending the meat took great pride in what they were doing. Barbeque sauce is very different in different areas of the country but to say someone uses a certain sauce to mask inferiour meat is being very unfair in my opinion. I love Sweatman's!

I prefer it all!

Vinegar in Eastern NC, Mustard in Central SC, Ketchup Based in GA, Dry Rub in Memphis, Worcestershire Based in Western KY (Black Dip) and I'm looking forward to trying Alabama White in a few months!
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 643
    RE: Sweatmans 2005/01/17 19:39:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dixieken

Ya'll said it. I'm from Sumter, SC and when a PBS show said we ate MUSTARD BASED SAUCE, I nearly blew chunks.

I was raised on Ward's BBQ and its ketchup based. D&H in Manning has good Vinegar based. But, my dadies and grandaddies ketchup, vinegar, black pepper suce is the best!!!!!

BTW, anyone who wants to eat the best damned hash in the world, try Ward's in Sumter!!!! My family buys it by the gallon at Christmas time. Many a Christmas morning I've had Ward's hash and rice for Breakfast!!!!!!!!

Absolutely the best!!!!

For those of you who come by the bbq hash gene honestly, to those of us who haven't yet had the pleasure, could y'all please give a brief description of just what it's all about?
    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    huntryce
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sweatmans 2005/01/18 22:46:24 (permalink)
    QFan, I'm not sure I can describe hash justly. I'm a North Carolina girl by birth, relocated to South Carolina. So hash is relatively foreign to me in truth.

But since you've had no takers, I'll try to explain.

Hash is served over white rice as a side dish to BBQ in SC. (Rather than the Brunswick stew found in coastal NC.) It is finely ground meat. Frankly, I had to attain a taste for it as the concoction looks to have been pre-chewed.

I have heard it described as "all but the oink." You interpret that however you wish. It's served kind of like a gravy but it's the consistency of paste.

Those who like it LOVE it. I can take it or leave it. Bon appetite! :)
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 643
    RE: Sweatmans 2005/01/19 10:32:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by huntryce

QFan, I'm not sure I can describe hash justly. I'm a North Carolina girl by birth, relocated to South Carolina. So hash is relatively foreign to me in truth.

But since you've had no takers, I'll try to explain.

Hash is served over white rice as a side dish to BBQ in SC. (Rather than the Brunswick stew found in coastal NC.) It is finely ground meat. Frankly, I had to attain a taste for it as the concoction looks to have been pre-chewed.

I have heard it described as "all but the oink." You interpret that however you wish. It's served kind of like a gravy but it's the consistency of paste.

Those who like it LOVE it. I can take it or leave it. Bon appetite! :)

Thanks huntryce. Definitely sounds like an acquired taste!
    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    dixieken
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Sweatmans 2009/01/17 00:23:27 (permalink)
    QFan

[id=quote font="arial, helvetica"]quote: Originally posted by dixieken

Absolutely the best!!!!

For those of you who come by the bbq hash gene honestly, to those of us who haven't yet had the pleasure, could y'all please give a brief description of just what it's all about?
    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL

LOL. Hash is pretty much the head, liver, lights, heart, and other organs, chipped up fine, and cooked with spices and sauce. Some folks leave out the liver. I like it both ways.

QFan, I am actually living in Naples, Fl now, so we are neighbors as such. Where is some good bbq around here? Whole hog, preferably. I'm heading up to SC in February, and as soon as I hit Sumter, Its a Wards plate and some good hash and rice.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Sweatmans 2009/01/24 14:06:50 (permalink)
    Sweatman's is WHOLE HOG "Q" and that is a far different than pit cooked shoulders and slabs of ribs.  Just wanted to point out the difference. 

For those of you use to an exterior texture on your ribs found in open pit cooking, you are not going to get that at Sweatman's.  Tender and tasty yes.  But the ribs taste completely different.  The rest of the meat (inside and outside meat) passes the traditional texture test if you put on your sauce.....Skin is the first thing on the buffet line to go.  There is a sign "No guarantees skin available"

I am not crazy about SC mustard based sauce...Maurice Bettinger's in Columbia (Piggy Park) sells it mail order if you want to try it.  He's da man in SC.

Big Bob Gibson's in Alabama is the place to go for white Alabama "Q" sauce (mayo based) and very good "Q." 
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    RE: Sweatmans 2009/01/24 22:47:16 (permalink)
    I've never had the pleasure of eating at Sweatman's, but I have been to Maurice's Piggie Park a couple of times, and I really enjoyed it. The mustard sauce is quite different from any other BBQ sauce I've ever had, but it's tasty, and certainly no less "authentic" than any other region's. I did try the hash ( with mild apprehension ), but it wasn't bad at all. It probably would be an acquired taste for most people, though.
    dbeast420
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Sweatmans 2009/02/12 10:09:50 (permalink)
    Personally. I've heard alot about Sweatmans bit if ya' want some really good BBQ,head towards Moncks Corner. A little place called Moose's Famous BBQ.

Open 4-8 Thurs & Fri.4-9 on Sat and 11:30 til 300 on Sun.

Slow smoked over hickory and pecan,always fresh never reheated.

Chopped BBQ,chicken,sausage,pork loin and brisket. None of the meats are sauced,he lets ya screw them up on your own.

All of the sides are made fresh daily and the skins can be ordered on a to go basis and are fried fresh when ya' order them.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10488
    RE: Sweatmans 2009/02/12 10:24:07 (permalink)
    dbeast420-
    Welcome to Roadfood!  What type of bbq sauce does Moose's have?
    crew84row
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: Sweatmans 2009/02/12 12:27:19 (permalink)
    dbeast-

Moncks Corner!!   Is Moose Q anywhere near the chinese joint that used to serve liquor in the airline minibottles?   Bunch of us cleaned them out one nigth in the 80s.    Has Moose been around a while?  That same bunch of us had some very nice Q earlier at a shindig put on by Santee Cooper.  Can't recall who prepped it.  But out side the cedar smoked salmon we had in Washington state, that was one trip's food we still remember.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Sweatmans 2009/02/15 20:29:35 (permalink)
    NC - I have been to Mo B's Piggy Park many times in the 1990's.  My only problem with it was they doused the ribs in his sauce.  Something I did not like at Interstate in Memphis either.

Mo's mustard sauce is very strong.  Not to everyone's liking.  You can order it on the Internet.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1