Sweet Tea

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Pwingsx
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Sweet Tea 2005/06/28 17:56:33 (permalink)
I know I would love southern sweet tea, but being diabetic, will probably be able to never have the pleasure.

But I have a question. You guys all swear by the sugar syrup rather than adding sugar. But why? What is the difference? Is there some kind of chemical reaction? I just don't understand.

I've always added sugar (pre-diabetes) to my iced tea, so I don't know how much of a difference there is.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Sweet Tea 2005/06/28 20:15:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

I know I would love southern sweet tea, but being diabetic, will probably be able to never have the pleasure.

But I have a question. You guys all swear by the sugar syrup rather than adding sugar. But why? What is the difference? Is there some kind of chemical reaction? I just don't understand.

I've always added sugar (pre-diabetes) to my iced tea, so I don't know how much of a difference there is.

It's just a matter of the fact that sugar doesn't disolve all that well in cold liquids. If you dump some sugar in a glass of iced tea and then stir like h_ll, you'll still find lots of undissolved sugar in the bottom of the glass. But you make sugar syrup by dissolving sugar in HOT water--and heating further until all the sugar is dissolved. And when you add the syrup to a cold liquid like iced tea, it mixes readily with no "left behind" sugar crystals.

When making "sweet tea" you could, of course, add sugar when the brew is still hot and get most of the sugar to dissolve, but probably not all of it.
fastfood
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: Sweet Tea 2005/07/13 02:27:08 (permalink)
To tell you the truth and i'm not joking Arby's have the best tea sweetened or unsweetened we are the best. We literally have people come in and buy like 5 half gallons all the time. Its honestly the best i've tasted.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18690
RE: Sweet Tea 2005/07/13 11:02:48 (permalink)
Good God, FF, how do you explain the fact that the Rhode Island clam chowder at Arby's is so lacking in briney flavor? And why is it that the Arby's lobster rolls contain nothing but claw meat?
fastfood
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: Sweet Tea 2005/07/14 00:58:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Good God, FF, how do you explain the fact that the Rhode Island clam chowder at Arby's is so lacking in briney flavor? And why is it that the Arby's lobster rolls contain nothing but claw meat?

We have lobster rolls and clam chowder? Are you serious? I am not aware of this. It must be at the stores that are not owned by U.S. beef.
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Sweet Tea 2005/07/14 01:25:55 (permalink)
My dad makes good sweet tea, my mothers tea was the best on the planet. Bojangles and lees and waffle house have pretty good sweet tea. Most places down south do.
azure
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
RE: Sweet Tea 2005/07/14 01:42:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
Originally posted by tiramisu1

Toooo sweet? Has anyone else not from the southeast US ever gone there and been asked by a server: "Do you want sweet or unsweet tea?"

I told the server, well, if I want it sweetned then I'll put a packet of sugar in it. She looked at me like I was from Mars!

I guess sweet tea is iced tea brewed with a lot of sugar added.
I didn't realize how much people in the south love the stuff and drink it probably more than soda and water!!!!!
I wonder why the whole sweat tea thing is not popular in other places??

So many questions, but I'll step up to the plate:

1) Yes, these days, the "waitgals" have to ask that question. Back in the days before "outsiders" invaded the South, ya got sweet tea, because that's what "icetea" was.

2) She looked at you like you were from Mars because most Earthlings (southern earthings) would know that adding packets of sugar to a cold glass of tea does nothing but add useless calories; practically no flavor.

3) NO, sweet tea is brewed with not that much sugar. With sugar in there from the start, the sweetness enhances the flavor of the tea without overpowering.

4) We LOVE tea, because it tastes much better than almost all of the artificial crap that comes in a bottle.

5) The reason "the whole sweet tea thing is not popular in other places" is because Southerners are a lot smarter than people like you.

Have a nice evening.

Bushie,
You are a poet!! And obviously a good southerner as you can tell someone off in such a sweet way that they'll never know what hit 'em!!
chefmichael
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Sweet Tea 2005/08/13 21:27:47 (permalink)
where i live sweet tea is usually a given, but i ask for a 1/2 and 1/2
chefmichael
chef joe
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Sweet Tea 2005/08/18 23:37:47 (permalink)
Here's a good one. I latched onto this up in Tennessee many moons ago, along with a "Moon Pie"
"TIBBLE TEA" (The name is another story)
1 large can of frozen Lemonade Concentrate (not the small one)
8 Tea Bags
3 Tbsps. Almond Extract
Defrost the lemonade until soft
Pour the Lemonade & Almond extract into a Gallon jug.
Drop in the 8 tea bags.
Fill with boiling water.
Stir it up and refrigerate - MMMMM!!!!!
Chef Joe!
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Sweet Tea 2005/08/19 13:53:35 (permalink)
I make tea the way gramma did and as far as I know she never lived out side NJ, bring a qt of water to a boil, add 1/2 cup sugar, stir, throw in 6-8 teabags, turn off heat, when cool pour into gal jug and add 3qts of water and occasionaly sliced lemons or oranges. My daughter likes SWEET tea and adds a cup of sugar, my son like teacandy and adds 1 1/2-2 cups!! I can't drink that!
njdchef
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Sweet Tea 2005/11/15 13:18:58 (permalink)
I used to live in Mississippi, used to drink this stuff AA the time. Since I moved back to NJ I haven't been able to find it hardly at all, until I found that Arizon puts out a very good sweet tea. It definitly satisfies me until I can get around to making it.
njdchef
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Sweet Tea 2005/11/15 13:20:00 (permalink)
I used to live in Mississippi, used to drink this stuff AA the time. Since I moved back to NJ I haven't been able to find it hardly at all, until I found that Arizona puts out a very good sweet tea. It definitly satisfies me until I can get around to making it.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Sweet Tea 2005/11/15 14:36:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

Use splenda when the water is still hot. This helps get rid of the after taste. Then throw in tea bag and let steep.

You can have your sweet tea now diabetics!

I got the idea from Turkey Hill diet green tea. It's not the exact same as southern sweet tea, but splenda does the trick FAR FAR FAR better than any other sugar substitute.
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Sweet Tea 2005/11/15 16:49:09 (permalink)
Mrs. Oneiron makes some of the best sweet tea around by brewing the tea first, then adding sugar while the brew is still quite warm. Add ice and water to fill the jug and it's ready. I do detect a difference if the sugar is added along with the brewing tea bags and I prefer the sugar added after the brewing - it has a better tea flavor IMHO.
alb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Sweet Tea 2005/11/23 08:50:27 (permalink)
Does anybody else worry about the sweet tea dispenser at restaurants having mold in it? I know if mine sits too long at home, even in my fridge, mold appears so I only order unsweetened tea when I'm out.
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Sweet Tea 2005/11/23 10:29:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by alb

Does anybody else worry about the sweet tea dispenser at restaurants having mold in it? I know if mine sits too long at home, even in my fridge, mold appears so I only order unsweetened tea when I'm out.
We were having a discussion on just this topic last night. My son was picking on his mom about the sweet tea she serves at her sandwich shop. He had stopped in for lunch (free of course) and his usual sweet tea but when he came by the house early in the evening he said the tea had a moldy taste. That of course led to a ranting diatrabe on the lazy evening shift and help in general and as to how the Mrs. scrubs and the rinses both tea urns with boiling water daily and rinses between each batch. She of course had missed his wink and ornery grin as she ranted and raved.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Sweet Tea 2005/11/28 00:30:28 (permalink)
I love sweet tea but cannot drink much because of diabetes. I am glad there is an unsweetened version available to which I can add artificial sweetner.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Sweet Tea 2005/12/23 15:29:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fastfood

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

We have lobster rolls and clam chowder? Are you serious? I am not aware of this. It must be at the stores that are not owned by U.S. beef.

Also, in Massachusetts, and maybe other new england states, Micky D's has lobster rolls in the summer time also...
snow_wolf46
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Sweet Tea 2007/08/17 01:02:21 (permalink)
i thought seeing how this is all about tea i thought maybe someone here may possibly have some advice for me i am in southern indiana i been trying to find a way to get cain's tea but the plant in oklahoma wont take mail orders and no one sells it anywhere even close to here i would be so happy if anyone has any info to help me thanks you can email me @ bobmey8@aol.com
boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1460
RE: Sweet Tea 2007/08/17 03:45:41 (permalink)
I grew up in Dodge City Kansas and the ONLY tea we had in our house was SWEET TEA! Usually sun tea with about 1-1/2 cup sugar added at the time of brewing. This keeps the tea from leaching too much flavor at one time (that can produce bitter or cloudy tea.) try it sometime at home. One plain and one sweetened. The results will by quite different I assure you!

David O.
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Sweet Tea 2007/08/17 07:20:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by alb

Most of the places I frequent the sweet tea goes so fast you never get any "old" tea. They are constantly brewing tea, especially when it's hot as it's been.
scrubnurseshelbie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Sweet Tea 2007/08/19 00:19:50 (permalink)
I have lived all my life in Indiana, and just now there are a handful of places you can get sweet and unsweet tea and it's a godsend!! I absolutely LOVE sweet tea! McAlistar's Deli has really good sweet tea and I love when we go on vacation in the south so we can get sweet tea at any place we go.
icemncmth
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Sweet Tea 2007/10/19 18:21:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by plantdetective

The best iced tea is made with Cains tea, unfortunately this Oklahoma Company has a limited distrobution. Therefore we have to import it to south texas. The best flavor of a 'plain' tea. We sweeten with granulated fructose because it has a lower glycemic index, need less than reg. sugar, and it will disolve in cold tea. So for you southerners who have to travel north look for packets of fructose to take with you.

Paul

I live in Oklahoma City and Cains is the best to make ice tea...

I don't like sweet but my grandmother use to make a simple syrup..and then she would add it to the strong tea..that way you don't have to worry about getting sugar in the bottom of the jar or glass..

And the only way to drink real tea is out of a Ball jar and you must have a slice of lemon and orange!
yummytarts22
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Sweet Tea 2007/11/07 20:46:34 (permalink)
i love sweet tea but then again i'm originally from north carolina. when i first moved to california, i went to a restaurant and asked for sweet tea. the waitress then replied "there's sugar on the table". i was so shocked. luckily, we've got chik-fil-a's so i can now enjoy my sweet tea whenever i want!
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Sweet Tea 2007/11/07 21:21:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dreamzpainter hhmmmmmm sweet tea is readily available here in Jacksonville, St Augustine and Daytona, my daughter brews hers with 1 1/2 cups of sugar and 8 teabags in a quart pot brought to a boil thgen seeped a half hour or so and made into a gal of tea
Dirty little secret: Use a gallon of water all at once and mix your stuff in a glass jar, add the bags, put the top on the jar, and let it sit outside for an hour or two. I had a buddy in Orlando who did that and had a jar with a spigot on it just for iced tea. He made it sweet, and I wish I had that jar even though I like mine with lemon and not nearly as much sugar as he used.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1