The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Sweet Turkey Brine

angelfood

• Total Posts: 204
Sweet Turkey Brine Mon, 12/15/03 5:52 PM (permalink)
What do you think would happen if I changed the amounts in a turkey brine so that the amounts of salt and sugar would be reversed? I'd like to try it, but don't want to ruin my Christmas bird. Also, If I did that, then stuffed the bird, then wrapped it in bacon?

angelfood

RE: Sweet Turkey Brine Mon, 12/15/03 6:47 PM (permalink)
    I'm a newbie, and I'm serious about the question. Just to let you know... .

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
      RE: Sweet Turkey Brine Tue, 12/16/03 1:37 PM (permalink)
      glsup2003, sorry no one has answered you. I'm not an experienced briner, but I've read on the subject, so here's what I would offer:

The primary purpose of brining is to help the turkey absorb and retain moisture. The salt is a main catalyst in this process, so I would not cut down on the recommended amount of salt. Adding other flavors, including sugar, is fine, but keep the salt.

As for stuffing, the current thoughts are that it's better to cook the "stuffing" separate, and to just put chunks of onion, apple, lemon, celery, etc. in the cavity when you cook.

As for the bacon wrap, I think you'd want to brown the skin before covering in bacon, and remove the bacon before the final finishing.

These are my "semi-educated" guesses, so hopefully we'll get some of the better cooks on the site to chime in.

Good luck, and let us know how things turn out.

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
        RE: Sweet Turkey Brine Tue, 12/16/03 2:26 PM (permalink)
        Bushie's absolutely right. You need the salt to make the brining process work. I experimented with varying amounts of salt for Kosher pickles. Once I went below a certain amount, they were horrible, mushy, and sweet because proper fermentation did not take place. Err on the side of excess.

angelfood

RE: Sweet Turkey Brine Tue, 12/16/03 5:09 PM (permalink)
          Thank you for the info on the salt. I've been brining my turkeys for a few years now, trying the different recipes, etc. I'm happiest with the basic kosher salt and sugar one: 2 cups salt, 1 cup sugar, two gallons water. My mom's turkeys always have a sweet taste to them, but she uses a sweet dressing, puts the turkey in for an hour at @ 350, then turns it down to 200 or 220, something like that, and cooks it overnight. I've been told those low temps are not good, and I wanted to impart the sweeter taste to my bird. I suppose I could keep the salt the same and increase the sugar? I appreciate the responses I've gotten, thank you, and welcome more. Thanks again.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com