Sysco question:

Author
Tiramisu
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
2006/12/31 13:37:30 (permalink)

Sysco question:

I have a new cart and will be buying condiments in quantity. I am considering using a non "name brand" ketchup.

I can get a great price on two products from Sysco. Thay are "House Recipe" and "Monarch" brands of ketchup.

Does anyway have experience with these products. Will customers be turned off by not seeing "Heinz" or "Hunts"?

Is it ok to use up Heinz bottles and fill them with Sysco product?

Any help would be appreciated.

21 Replies Related Threads

DoubleB
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Sysco question: 2006/12/31 13:52:55 (permalink)
    I would try the Sysco products and see how they go. I don't think that most people can really tell the difference. I would NOT, under ANY circumstances fill a name brand bottle with any other brand product. IF your customers can tell the difference they may think that you are trying to fool them or worse yet, that the product has gone bad. I wouldn't want my customers thinking either of those things. Not to mention that IF somebody got sick or something Heinz would probably sue you too!!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6647
    RE: Sysco question: 2006/12/31 13:53:27 (permalink)
    While trying to avoid a "ketchup war" here.....because everybody has their favorites.....I've tried both from Sysco and they are totally acceptable in this cart application. Sysco will also custom make labels for your particular cart/restaurant with their "House Recipe" inside.

I would not under any circumstances refill Heinz bottles with a Sysco product.
    DoubleB
    Junior Burger
    RE: Sysco question: 2006/12/31 13:59:30 (permalink)
    You also have to consider where you want to position yourself. Are you trying to sell cheap dogs and sell a lot or a better quality product and charge a higher price? I myself would always try to use the best product available that still let me keep my price where I wanted it to be and make a profit. While your condiments may not matter they ARE a part of the perception that the public forms of your venture. Also, TASTE the product and see what YOU feel is the best match for your end product.
    Tiramisu
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Sysco question: 2006/12/31 14:09:52 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice, I will give the House recipe brand a try. I also think it is pretty good as I had it at a tavern last week on fries and could not tell any difference in quality.

I agree that refill is a bad idea.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3286
    RE: Sysco question: 2006/12/31 16:23:16 (permalink)
    I use the #10 bottle of Heinz ketchup and the #10 bottle of Heinz or French's mustard with a pump shooter. These can purchased at Sam's Club, Super Walmart, or Restaurant Depot at a substantial savings.

CSD

Business Instructor
    www.hotdogu.com
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Sysco question: 2007/01/01 11:05:06 (permalink)
    Personally I prefer heinz or hunts but I wouldn't walk away from your cart because of seeing monarch or xyz generic, but then again I don't use ketchup on hotdogs. At fairs or festavils where other foods like fries and burgers are available I don't really pay attention to the label on the pump bottle.
    The same applies to mustard, while I prefer frenchs or plochs for the yellow most any will work on a dog.
    Now if you are serving a quality product, a selection of quality condiments could only help and if one of those choices was guldens spicey brown, Id be sure to return.
    I most definately wouldn't refill name brand bottles with any other manufactures regardless of quality unless you removed the label.
    Just this humble consumers take on the question..
    porkchopexpress
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Sysco question: 2007/01/01 17:47:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chicagostyledog

I use the #10 bottle of Heinz ketchup and the #10 bottle of Heinz or French's mustard with a pump shooter. These can purchased at Sam's Club, Super Walmart, or Restaurant Depot at a substantial savings.

CSD

Business Instructor
    www.hotdogu.com

That what I use as well. The cheapest way out and still using a premium product
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    RE: Sysco question: 2007/01/01 18:07:05 (permalink)
    "House Recipe ketchup" is as good or better than Heinz at half the cost. I love hot dogs in fact I eat them at my stand for breakfast almost everyday, but with all the junk people put on hot dogs, relish mustard ketchup tomatoes, onions, and celery salt how would you know if it were Heinz or House Recipe, lol. Now on fries house recipe is great and if you used some junk brand that wouldn't work. But that brings to mind another question Double B said, "You also have to consider where you want to position yourself.It's a hot dog, not a $40.00 steak. How do you position yourself, selling a hot dog? I think there are some hot dog snobs out there and they get a little carried away with neon relish and special buns etc it's still a hot dog. LMAO. And any good ketchup (notice I said good) will work. Especially if the price is right.99% of the dogs I sell with ketchup on them are going to kids 10 and younger. Most adults don't even use ketchp on a dog.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Sysco question: 2007/01/01 19:04:28 (permalink)
    Dr. of BBQ, a topping (Condiment) on a hot dog is sacred. Not being one of them "Snobs" you refer to, but no different then you using vinegar or thick based bbq sauce for your Q.. (Or maple vs. hickory to smoke it with). It's all about the flavor and balance, even if it is a hot dog.

And putting a Sysco product in a Heinz bottle can get you in a bunch of legal trouble Tiramisu.. Not only does this violate labeling laws, your misrepresenting the product. Best thing would be to fill up them red colored plastic bottles made for ketchup. Generic look for a generic product.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    RE: Sysco question: 2007/01/01 20:07:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

putting a Sysco product in a Heinz bottle can get you in a bunch of legal trouble Tiramisu.. Not only does this violate labeling laws, your misrepresenting the product.

LOL I didn't suggest that be done in fact I never dealt with the re-bottling process in any manner. But you also mentioned "No different then you using maple vs. hickory to smoke your BBQ with. It's all about the flavor and balance. LMAO you've touched on one of my other strong beliefs and that is the kind of WOOD you use MAKES NO DIFFERANCE. Unless you’re using mesquite and it does have a tendency to make a very heavy smoke flavor in meats. If you sauce BBQ which almost every customer requires you can’t taste the meat. The sauce hides the original flavor of the meat and the rich warm smokiness of the finished pork or beef. If you were to come look at my wood supply today you'd find a lot of peach, cherry, and hickory wood. I'd love to smoke three different pork shoulders using one type of wood from those 3 mentioned and ask anyone to ID which wood was used. I don't think many if anyone could say oh that's peach or hickory or cherry. Want to try?
    marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 347
    RE: Sysco question: 2007/01/01 20:09:55 (permalink)
    americans are raised by television, and unfortunately, heinz and hunts are about the only ketchup brands advertised on tv. same for french's mustard (and that salty grey poupon stuff..)

my take on it is this: as a "chef", does the cheaper product improve or detract from your product? (would your dogs taste better using the name-brand product?) if you don't like the taste, neither will your customers...

if you do decide to use the sysco products because you like the taste, then place them in generic bottles and don't lie to people when they ask you what brand it is. even better, see if sysco has dispenser bottles with their logo on them that you could use. who knows? you might become the best stand in town, just for being honest :) imho, truth is the most important customer relations tool in the service industry...
    biker jim
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 403
    RE: Sysco question: 2007/01/01 21:03:18 (permalink)
    I'm with Uncle Vic on the generic bottle thing. I like the clear plastic bottles myself, causes me a little more work cleaning and filling them, but I like the look. Clean, and uniform. And I can tell at a glance when it is time to switch em for a new one. I like Hunts ketchup just fine and for $2.59 for a #10 can from Costco, it's hard to beat the price and convenience.
    genewj
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 370
    RE: Sysco question: 2007/01/01 21:40:57 (permalink)
    I'm with Chicago on the catsup & Mustard,but u must clean the pump daily..
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Sysco question: 2007/01/01 21:45:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by marzsit

my take on it is this: as a "chef", does the cheaper product improve or detract from your product? (would your dogs taste better using the name-brand product?) if you don't like the taste, neither will your customers...

It again depends on the quality of the product. Here, I prefer Heinz for Ketchup, mainly is the marketing you mentioned. Everyone buys it and thats the taste they look for. But for Dijon, I'll purchase Mr. Mustard, and for yellow mustard it's Plochmans.
    But I'll admit, I've had gallon jugs of generic yellow mustard from GFS that probably tasted better then the name brands. Ditto from Sysco (probably the same manufacturer). Also, if you have a good sales rep, he'll bring you samples. Alot of the name brands sell to be repacked under another generic name.. So in response to your question, the cheaper product could actually be the higher end one for less. Then on the other foot, there's some cheap products out there that taste exactly what they cost.. Cheap...
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Sysco question: 2007/01/02 11:17:33 (permalink)
    Since I use ketchup only on potatoes and ( to my embarrassment) hash, I probably shouldn't comment at all. But some customers are far more comfortable with a brand they know, be it of condiments or kayaks. One (perhaps temporary) option would be to find the one you like best and offer it in addition to Heinz or Hunt's or whatever, maybe even for a nickel surcharge. Likewise the mustard. I prefer a whole-grain or coarsely ground mustard that's not too acid; the[url='http://www.mustardmuseum.com/']Mt. Horeb Mustard Museum[/url] is a great place to browse for varieties.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Sysco question: 2007/01/02 13:07:03 (permalink)
    I see that the Mustard Museum carries Buddyroadhouse's sauce! The Mustard Museum is a great place to visit, you can sample just about everything.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18267
    RE: Sysco question: 2007/01/02 13:12:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

Since I use ketchup only on potatoes and ( to my embarrassment) hash, I probably shouldn't comment at all.

What do you mean, to your embarrassment? How can one eat hash without that red stuff?
    DoubleB
    Junior Burger
    RE: Sysco question: 2007/01/02 13:34:37 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ seemed to think it was funny to "position yourself". I've been to carts that sold dogs I wouldn't eat, BUT they were 2 for 99 cents. Then there are the carts with natural casing dogs (the only kind IMO) and some with "gourmet" dogs running 3 or 4 bucks a piece. I would be willing to bet that the person that buys the 2 for 99 cent dogs wouldn't spend 3 or 4 bucks for a hot dog. That's a different market position with different expectations.

As far as the BBQ, I prefer mine with VERY little sauce. I want to taste the meat.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Sysco question: 2007/01/02 15:18:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by genewj

I'm with Chicago on the catsup & Mustard,but u must clean the pump daily..

We clean the pump constantly since our customers dress their own dogs.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Sysco question: 2007/01/02 15:25:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dr of BBQ

"House Recipe ketchup" is as good or better than Heinz at half the cost.

Taste is subjective. Price isn't. I have a Sysco account and House Recipe is not 1/2 the cost of Heinz unless you're buying Heinz from Sysco.
    Matt Gleason
    Health Inspector
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Sysco question: 2007/01/02 16:32:02 (permalink)
    I've sold thousands of hot dogs and never had a problem with condiments. I don't remember being asked other than pickles. Heinz or Fancy Ketchup was purchased in #10 cans and poured into clear dispensers and the yellow and brown mustard already came in platic containers. Sometimes I would buy French's Yellow mustard which was clearly a yellow container and other times it was Generic with a plain label. I think the worse thing you can do is have NONE, have containers that are nearly empty or get caught adding water or vinegar to thin the stuff out!!
    As for cleaning your equipment, this should be a No Brainer! I dare you to leave an unclean, dried up mustard or catsup dispenser at your stand! The first person that comes along in the morning is going to get a shirt full of condiment and you may get a face full of hot dog!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1