TGIF

Author
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
2007/01/22 09:06:38 (permalink)

TGIF

I hate to use my 1000th post to report on a franchised place but these days, with my health, eating out is where there is good handicap parking. Sunday was snowing here and there was a window of calm and cleared streets so we ran the few errands we needed to do and decided to eat at Fridays which is about 6 blocks from our home and had sidewalks that were clear of snow. Not caring about their current promo, I ordered the "flat" steak and SO ordered tortilla crusted tilapia. Both were excellant, my steak which is all of $9.99 was cooked rare as I asked and was very tender, juicy and came with a wild mushroom dipping butter. SO's meal was also excellant and came with a geneous pile of steamed vegetables. The server was good, friendly almost to fault and refilled drinks before we asked. It was a decent, inexpensive meal. It seems in this area, we have all the national chains and then some, we have a decent mix of ethnic, we have indie mom & pop diners which are just that, diner food, or we have very high end independents that: a) don't open for lunch, b) are too expensive for us ( I'm on disability) or c) not very easy for me to get too. Having a decent, enjoyable meal at TGIF worked for us.

18 Replies Related Threads

SassyGritsAL
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: TGIF 2007/01/22 11:02:53 (permalink)
    I find nothing wrong in eating at a franchised place as long as you like it. After all, not all towns have places that serve good road food, but most all towns have a franchised restaurant. If you like the place and the people you are with like it them by all means that's where you eat. Of course, there are some places that I like better than other. Friday's is OK with me (even though just last month 2 men were killed and one seriously wounded at our Friday's). My favorite franchise restaurant is Outback (though I only order their coconut fried shrimp), and my second fav. is Olive Garden (I know, I know), but I love their salad and again only order the one thing I like there (chicken marsala). See, I am a creature of habit and I like what I like.
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: TGIF 2007/01/22 11:20:24 (permalink)
    I agree. If it works for you go for it. One of my favorite places is Ruby Tuesdays when I head back to Bama. Outback is great too! Never had a problem at either of them.

Why don't I eat at those places here....well, it's New Orleans, home of any food you want, any time you want. Though I will say, Fox and Hound English Pub and Grille is a good place here even if it is a chain. There I said it, I like it!

edited for spelling
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: TGIF 2007/01/22 12:15:20 (permalink)
    We LOVE BERTUCCI'S in Westbury, LI NY.
    We have been eating there at least once a month for over 10 years.
    buckeye1
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: TGIF 2007/01/22 12:41:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by SassyGritsAL

Friday's is OK with me (even though just last month 2 men were killed and one seriously wounded at our Friday's).

Police: T.G.I. Friday's Shooting Was Over a Girl
    December 18, 2006

From our Huntsville newsroom:

Shots rang out at the T.G.I. Friday's on University Drive Sunday night, hitting four people. One man died, and three others were wounded.

Tanqueray Lavonnacheckieka Beavers, a former Athens High School basketball star, died at the restaurant. Thurston Duran Turner, Autora Frias Rogers, and William Timothy Reliford were wounded, and taken to Huntsville Hospital.

William Reliford has been released and treated for a gunshot wound to the cheek. Autora Rogers is in critical condition from a gunshot wound to the back. Thurston Turner is in critical condition from a gunshot wound to the face.

The shooting happened at 9:10 Sunday night. Huntsville Police say Jamal Roydrick Woods, 21, became angry when another customer at the restaurant looked at Woods' female companion. Witnesses tell police Woods approached the man, asked him a question, then pulled out a gun and allegedly shot Beavers, Turner, Rogers and Reliford.

A witness says Woods drove away in a 1970s model black Chevelle with silver racing stripes and chrome wheels. Because the car's description was unique, police found it quickly and arrested Woods. They questioned him and later charged him with murder. More charges are pending.

Police also questioned three of Woods' friends who left the restaurant after the shooting. More charges may be pending.

The man who died, Tanqueray Beavers, was 21 and from Athens. Of the victims who survived, Thurston Turner is 27 and from Athens, Autora Rogers is 24 and from Athens, and William Reliford is 33, and from Hazel Green.

T.G.I. Friday's remained closed Monday, but reopened Tuesday. They released a statement. It says, "All of us at T.G.I. Friday's are keeping the families who have been impacted by this senseless act of violence in our thoughts and prayers."

Tank Beavers' funeral will be Friday at 1:00 at the Athens High School gym. The family is asking that donations be made to the Boys and Girls Club of Athens Limestone County to the Tank Beavers Scholarship Fund.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: TGIF 2007/01/22 13:27:29 (permalink)

We used to eat (and drink) at Fridays here in Louisville and a couple in the Inland Empire of SoCal some years back. They had a flash-fried cheese-brocolli appetizer I liked a lot. For a variety of reasons we drifted to other places over the years, but tried the Fridays here in Louisville shortly after moving back into the area. Either it, or more likely, we have changed our priorities for restaurants. We found the place crowded, very loud, and we felt 'pressured' to order,drink,& eat quickly to escape the staring eyes of the waiting folks and the help looking for an empty tables. If you can get there at 'off-dining hours' before the office crowd hits the place, It isn't bad at all.

Outback is another story entirely. IMHO the quality of the food has dropped a lot over the past 5 years. I think the Bean-Counters have taken over the menu development. And the training school for help has put "Be part of the customer's family" to the extreme in their Server training. We Love the Coconut Shrimp...but only order it at the Bar. Because of the "Buddy-Buddy" approach of the servers and the loss of the Lamb Ribs from the menu we don't eat in the dining room anymore.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    RE: TGIF 2007/01/22 14:33:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

We found the place crowded, very loud, and we felt 'pressured' to order,drink,& eat quickly to escape the staring eyes of the waiting folks and the help looking for an empty tables. If you can get there at 'off-dining hours' before the office crowd hits the place, It isn't bad at all.

We mostly go for lunch, it's too hard for me to get around in a crowded place. We generally eat lunch at 11 or 11:30 so never a problem. The few times we have dinner out it's to one of our independent nice table cloth places which don't have that kind of vibe or crowd.
    soozycue520
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: TGIF 2007/01/22 15:22:57 (permalink)
    About twice a year, my cousins and families get together to have dinner {we started this in recent years when I started doing genealogy, and realized the importance of keeping us in touch}.

Although it wasn't my choice, we all meet at TGIFriday's out of convenience; location and menu options for everyone. Everytime we have been there {with groups from 15-25 ppl.}, the staff has always been accomodating, and the food good.

For a chain restaurant, this is one of the few I can give a thumbs up.

Last time {Dec. 13th}, I had the flat iron steak, medium rare, with broccoli. It was prepared correctly, and was a good deal, as well.
    frogger67
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: TGIF 2007/01/22 17:10:56 (permalink)
    I've found TGIFridays to be 'hit or miss,' like most chains. Luckily the two locations near my home are good--the food is always hot, and good. And the atmosphere is more relaxed in the bar area, compared to the more "upscale" bars, where most people are on the pretentious side.

There is nothing wrong with a chain that does things right. And I like the TGIF menu. The pot stickers are very good.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13521
    RE: TGIF 2007/01/22 17:44:34 (permalink)
    TGIF us to be good in Knoxville and in fact they were one of my favorite places about 20 years ago. Sadly, it ain't the same anymore.

The only time I have gone there was with business associates who wanted to be there. It was also handy to my office. One block down.

Their handicap accessible areas were very good.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: TGIF 2007/01/22 19:55:18 (permalink)
    WEll,Their Potstickers are still good!
    curried bluebonnet
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: TGIF 2007/01/23 14:57:02 (permalink)
    We happened to be at the mall Saturday, so the kids chose Friday's for lunch. Why I ordered the ribs I do not know, because they were no good. Hubby liked his Jack Daniels burger, but then he likes all bugers everywhere. But we tried a new appetizer: Green bean "fries"
    Basically like a fried mushroom or other veg. Really surprisingly good (though I was starving), served with a wasabi-cucumber ranch dressing, also good. Anyone else tried these things?
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: TGIF 2007/01/24 22:58:27 (permalink)
    Friday's has seemed to go way downhill to me...
    and I HATE those cheap uncomfortable wooden chairs with no back support!

Cinnabonbon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: TGIF 2007/01/25 02:55:13 (permalink)
    It's a miss with me. Our local one is always running out of fries,chicken, tater skins or something. The food just does not taste good. I use to enjoy the drinks there. Last week, we were stuck at DFW for 6 hours, the drinks at TGIF was the only thing that helped us through this difficult time. We tried ordering & finally ended up with burgers as everything else we wanted they ran out of or were missing an ingredient.
    thefoodguy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: TGIF 2007/01/25 12:49:40 (permalink)
    I just went to fridays the other day...

Didnt their jack daniels double glazed ribs used to be "thicker"...i mean the texture of the sauce and all?
    It just seemed more watery that it used to.
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    RE: TGIF 2007/01/28 00:46:58 (permalink)
    They need to use less sodium.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: TGIF 2007/01/28 18:25:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jellybear

WEll,Their Potstickers are still good!

Ruby Tuesdays are better..
    ()
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    RE: TGIF 2007/01/29 07:59:05 (permalink)
    I would love to go to a Ruby Tuesday but the closest is in an enclosed mall, being a handicap person, this is not practical. We did go back to TGIF on Saturday with another couple, I agree with the comments about crowds and salt. We went at 4:30 and had to wait 20 minutes! The place was a mad house! But I have to say, the young waitstaff are trained well, are very efficient and the food was quite good for the price.
    Williamsburger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: TGIF 2007/01/29 10:05:49 (permalink)
    quote:

Outback is another story entirely. IMHO the quality of the food has dropped a lot over the past 5 years. I think the Bean-Counters have taken over the menu development. And the training school for help has put "Be part of the customer's family" to the extreme in their Server training. We Love the Coconut Shrimp...but only order it at the Bar. Because of the "Buddy-Buddy" approach of the servers and the loss of the Lamb Ribs from the menu we don't eat in the dining room anymore.

I so agree with you on Outback! I *hate* the way the wait staff behaves - you are my servant, not my friend - even if I know you. I liked the lamb, too. And I've always had a hard time making them understand how I want my steak cooked. I'm never going back. Ironically, I've heard their sister restaurant "Bonefish" is much better at cooking steaks.
    Cathy
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1