THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2003/12/22 03:18:53 (permalink)
Why do we compare glazed yeast donuts and cake donuts. They are distinctly different desserts. I've had very few cake donuts in my life because I just don't like them. However, I love plain, glazed yeast donuts.

No chain makes yeast donuts that compare to the ones my mom made for our family restaurant 3 days a week (made with lard but fried in oil). Big and fluffy and so good I can't handle the memories. But a chain can indeed make fine donuts that we like, and donuts for all tastes. Krispy Kreme does that for a lot of us.

Good mom and pops will generally beat the chains any day, but there is room for both. My town's excellent mom and pop donut place is sold out of glazed donuts before 9 every morning and you can't enjoy them on site. We need a place open all day and into the evening that has seating and good coffee.

My first Krispy Kreme donut came from the KK temple on Knoxville's Kingston Pike, so beloved by Paul "Sundancer" Smith.

It was Friday night on a visit to Knoxville, and I was waiting for a light to change, when I saw 2 cars hit their brakes and do U turns. I then saw other cars change lanes or pull out of turn lanes. It was a wild scene, so I started looking around to see what was responsible. I only had to follow the suddenly erratic drivers; they were pulling into a Krispy Kreme parking lot.

Then I saw it: the neon "HOT NOW" sign, brightly lit up in the front window. Staff had just flipped the colorful sign on and alert KK donut lovers just behaved naturally.

I joined the rush, but parked and went in so I cold see the donuts and ask about the sign and such. I left with a dozen glazed and managed to get them to my destination still hot.

Lordy, Lordy, I had discovered hot Krispy Kremes, so good with sweet milk.

Krispy Kreme's first Lexington, Ky. store opens in January 2004.
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2003/12/22 07:31:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

Why do we compare glazed yeast donuts and cake donuts. They are distinctly different desserts. I've had very few cake donuts in my life because I just don't like them. However, I love plain, glazed yeast donuts.

No chain makes yeast donuts that compare to the ones my mom made for our family restaurant 3 days a week (made with lard but fried in oil). Big and fluffy and so good I can't handle the memories. But a chain can indeed make fine donuts that we like, and donuts for all tastes. Krispy Kreme does that for a lot of us.

Good mom and pops will generally beat the chains any day, but there is room for both. My town's excellent mom and pop donut place is sold out of glazed donuts before 9 every morning and you can't enjoy them on site. We need a place open all day and into the evening that has seating and good coffee.

My first Krispy Kreme donut came from the KK temple on Knoxville's Kingston Pike, so beloved by Paul "Sundancer" Smith.

It was Friday night on a visit to Knoxville, and I was waiting for a light to change, when I saw 2 cars hit their brakes and do U turns. I then saw other cars change lanes or pull out of turn lanes. It was a wild scene, so I started looking around to see what was responsible. I only had to follow the suddenly erratic drivers; they were pulling into a Krispy Kreme parking lot.

Then I saw it: the neon "HOT NOW" sign, brightly lit up in the front window. Staff had just flipped the colorful sign on and alert KK donut lovers just behaved naturally.

I joined the rush, but parked and went in so I cold see the donuts and ask about the sign and such. I left with a dozen glazed and managed to get them to my destination still hot.

Lordy, Lordy, I had discovered hot Krispy Kremes, so good with sweet milk.

Krispy Kreme's first Lexington, Ky. store opens in January 2004.

Amen !!
Jennie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2003/12/28 10:43:31 (permalink)
Although I live precisely as close to Clustered Spires as Argent does, I can't say I've been there. Have to check it out at some point.

As to Krispy Kremes, I must admit that I far prefer Dunkin Donuts' glazed. They're bigger, for one thing. And the KK's I've had, the glaze has seemed, well, watery to me. Admittedly, I haven't had them "hot off the press" as it were.
Argent
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2003/12/28 15:41:01 (permalink)
In convesation w/ the folks at Clustered spires . They told that they as well as KK used a potato flour in their Donuts . And seemed to feel It was KK "Secret"
JohnsonJZ
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2004/01/02 22:44:29 (permalink)
Actually, We use Mashed Potatoes, not potato flour. It's what makes for their texture. They are called Kinklings, and they're traditional to fat tuesday. Last mardi gra I made more then I ever wish to remember...

Josh, The guy who makes the Clustered Spires donuts.

PS; I finally got around to checking Roadfood, Argent
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2004/01/03 05:31:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Argent

In convesation w/ the folks at Clustered spires . They told that they as well as KK used a potato flour in their Donuts . And seemed to feel It was KK "Secret"

I am not surprised by the potato flour claim vis a vis Krispy Kreme. If it is used, I wonder if it's in both the yeast and cake recipes.

Krispy Kreme opens its first C. Ky. store in Lexington on Tuesday. The location is about 10 minutes from home and I'm going to stop by for the festivities. As there will be corporate types and managers from other towns, I'll try to learn a few things about what goes into our little friends.
i95
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2004/01/05 06:58:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JohnsonJZ

Actually, We use Mashed Potatoes, not potato flour. It's what makes for their texture. They are called Kinklings, and they're traditional to fat tuesday. Last mardi gra I made more then I ever wish to remember...

Josh, The guy who makes the Clustered Spires donuts.

PS; I finally got around to checking Roadfood, Argent

Welcome, Josh !! Great place you have there in Frederick, BTW!
Rhodes
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 281
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2004/01/06 13:20:42 (permalink)
I made it to the Clustered Spires today in a fit of Roadfood inspiration. I bought a loaf of wheat bread, a cinnamon-sugar donut and a pumpkin muffin. The donut was consumed on the ride home and got two thumbs and two front paws up (me & the dog), the bread I made into a turkey sandwich and found it very fresh and tasty with a nice moist texture. The muffin will be consumed later this afternoon I suspect. Great place, glad to have found it!
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2004/01/06 13:45:57 (permalink)
I hate to be a spoilsport, but ytoo much time in New England gave me a taste for Dunkin Donuts...but hot KK are great with cold milk. Eat them with a fork!
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2004/01/06 13:47:30 (permalink)
And Charlottesville has Spudnuts! Swing by if you're ever down here. It's on Avon Street with a huge sign.
Rhodes
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 281
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2004/01/06 15:16:25 (permalink)
The muffin was great too!
i95
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2004/01/08 08:15:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Route 11

And Charlottesville has Spudnuts! Swing by if you're ever down here. It's on Avon Street with a huge sign.

Hey, Route 11, what ever happened to C'ville's hippie-run Rising Sun Bakery? That place cranked-out some awesome breads and pastries in their day.
Argent
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2004/01/08 13:05:37 (permalink)
Slightly OT ,
In c-ville I have also enjoyed BODOS Bagles. Great bagles , weird vibe
quote:
Originally posted by i95

quote:
Originally posted by Route 11

Hey, Route 11, what ever happened to C'ville's hippie-run Rising Sun Bakery? That place cranked-out some awesome breads and pastries in their day.
redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2004/01/08 15:14:04 (permalink)
Hmmmmmmmm...........this gives me an idea. I wonder if I put a red "Hot and Ready" neon sign in my living room window, if my business will erupt in a frenzy of slathering, drooling patrons.........hmmmmmmmmmmm , hmmmmmmmmmm
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2004/01/08 15:22:33 (permalink)
Well, I guess it all depends on what your business is !!! Ooops, who said that ???
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 750
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2004/01/08 15:47:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by scbuzz

Well, I guess it all depends on what your business is !!! Ooops, who said that ???

well..she DID say 'erupt'!!!
redtressed
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2004/01/08 16:51:58 (permalink)
I help people with their ..."problems"" />

alright, alright, alright.......I'm in the nerd business. I do tech support for computer issues, I do graphics work, I do custom pc building and reselling. I teach security issues with internet technology. I teach people to get the most use out of their pc. I teach web design. I teach the use of graphics programs such as Photoshop, Paint Shop pro, Corel Graphics and so on. I teach software use in general. Again, just a lil' old innocent nerd.

Back to the donuts. I love Krispy Kreme, but alas none in my area. I'm not a fan of the big franchises as a rule.........but have always loved KK and Spudnuts. For most part the bakeries around here have been replaced by the quick fix grocery store displays of hardened sweet cardboard, but one grocer here has toyed with my interest greatly. The Westover Shop 'N' Save has donuts like my Mama and local Italian Nonnas made. Cakey, but light, fried in lard, the dough containing hints of nutmeg and cardamom. Wonderful glazes and frosting that contain flavor , not just sugar. Cookies of all varieties that do not taste assembly line or pre mixed, as well as several ethnic specialities of pastries. I've watched them mix and nothing is pre - made.....all is from scratched.........and yes........they use mashed taters too in many of their creations.
i95
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2004/01/08 18:02:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

quote:
Originally posted by redtressed

Hmmmmmmmm...........this gives me an idea. I wonder if I put a red "Hot and Ready" neon sign in my living room window, if my business will erupt in a frenzy of slathering, drooling patrons.........hmmmmmmmmmmm , hmmmmmmmmmm

Hey I-95, will you pick me up on your way to Redtress's house? Since we are both going, we may as well ride together...

Sort of like "car-drooling," no?

I'll be right over. Remember, clothier, you tell your wife that your at my house and I'll tell my wife I'm over at yours. This'll be fool-proof !!
redtressed
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2004/01/09 02:07:02 (permalink)
uhmmmmmmmmm just bear in mind, boys......there's not an accompanying "Open 24 hours" sign
i95
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2004/01/11 11:20:36 (permalink)
quote:

uhmmmmmmmmm just bear in mind, boys......there's not an accompanying "Open 24 hours" sign

But, do you validate parking ?
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 750
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2004/01/11 11:40:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by i95

quote:

But, do you validate parking ?

Depends on where you are parking!!!
Jellybeans
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 312
RE: THE "HOT" LIGHT IS ON IN ROCKVILLE, MD !!!!! 2004/01/11 11:40:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Argent

Slightly OT ,
In c-ville I have also enjoyed BODOS Bagles. Great bagles , weird vibe.[

I was taken to Bodos Bagels the last time I visited friends in Charlottesville and I was having a craving for bagels (good real American ones, not what I've been subjected to here in the UK).

The warm toasted poppyseed bagel with blueberry cream cheese thickly slathered on it both eased my breakfast hunger and my bagel craving.

Mmmmm
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1