TN/KY Sunday dinner Road Food stop (+ WI)

Author
Keysey42
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
2014/05/05 13:58:52 (permalink)

TN/KY Sunday dinner Road Food stop (+ WI)

My mom, sister and I will be taking a road trip this summer from St. Augustine, FL to Milwaukee, WI. We plan to avoid the Interstates as much as possible, preferring instead to stick to secondary highways. Because I'll be the only one driving, we plan to make an overnight stop on the way. Our Day 1 route will take us west of Atlanta through Thomasville, Albany, Americus, Manchester, Newnan, Carrollton and Rome, GA. Because it will be mid-summer, we'll have plenty of daylight, so we're hoping to make it at least to Chattanooga, and as far as Murfreesboro or even Bowling Green, KY by sunset, at which point we'll stop for the night.

We'll be coming in to Chattanooga on Highway 27, taking Highway 41 from Chattanooga to Murfeesboro, and the Lebanon Pike from Murfreesboro to Bowling Green.

We're looking for a good Road Food dinner stop, then, between Chattanooga and Bowling Green. Day 1 will be a Sunday (July 27), so any recommended restaurants have to be open between 7 and 10 p.m. on Sundays (which sadly leaves out Zarzour's in Chattanooga). To stay on time and make it as far as possible on the first day, we'd prefer not to deviate too far from the posted route. We're also looking for good breakfast stops in the same area that are open early (we plan to be on the road by 6 a.m. Monday).

Though we've got several favorite places already picked out in Milwaukee (Kopp's, Three Brothers, Balistreri's), will spend a day sampling food at the State Fair (we're mainly going for the cream puffs!) and will attend a Brewers game at Miller Park, Milwaukee suggestions outside of those already on Road Food are welcome, too. And we hope to make side trips to New Glarus, Door County (for a fish boil) and possibly even Marquette, MI if time permits.

Suggest away, Rood Food Folks!
post edited by Keysey42 - 2014/05/05 14:13:52

11 Replies Related Threads

Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re:TN/KY Sunday dinner Road Food stop (+ WI) 2014/05/05 14:47:52 (permalink)
    Far be it for me to recommend that you get back on the interstate, but...

Leaving Chattanooga for M-boro, the US-41/US-64 bridge over Nickajack Lake has been out for ages and traffic diverted onto I-24 for a couple of miles anyway.  I'd recommend that you take I-24 from Chattanooga about 15 miles to its suburb of South Pittsburg / Jasper, and then pick up 41 going north.  You might enjoy a short leg-stretch at Foster Falls, near Sequatchie.  Also, the drive up and down Monteagle is fantastic on 41, much nicer than the interstate.

Unfortunately, every idea I have between Chattanooga and M-boro on 41 is closed Sundays.  If you'd like to eat in Chattanooga before you go, however, Mojo Burrito is open and really good - their St Elmo store is very close to US-27.  Tremont Tavern has exceptionally good burgers but is a bit of a detour across the river to Chatt's north shore neighborhood.  Rib & Loin is on Brainerd (US-64) and has good barbecue. 

There is a barbecue place in Manchester, between US-41 and I-24, called Prater's.  I've heard it's good but haven't been myself.  Urbanspoon suggests they're open Sundays.

I've never been north of M-boro on the Pike, so I can't help you going that way.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3728
    Re:TN/KY Sunday dinner Road Food stop (+ WI) 2014/05/05 15:17:50 (permalink)
    While this is a Roadfood-recommended place for Milwaukee, many don't usually consider a tavern a prime breakfast destination. However, McBob's simply has the best corned beef hash I have ever eaten.

Aside from Kopp's, it is my one must stop in Milwaukee.
    Keysey42
    Hamburger
    Re:TN/KY Sunday dinner Road Food stop (+ WI) 2014/05/05 17:04:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips, Heartbreak! I don't mind getting on the Super Slab for a few stretches, but I definitely want to take 41 up and down Monteagle — I expect that to be the highlight of the trip. Will make the stop at Foster Falls, too, time permitting.

Travelin' Man, we're all huge corned beef fans, and from the looks of the photos, we'll have to set aside time for breakfast AND lunch at McBob's. Thinking about going for the butter burgers at Solly's Grill, too.
    post edited by Keysey42 - 2014/05/05 17:27:19
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2293
    Re:TN/KY Sunday dinner Road Food stop (+ WI) 2014/05/05 19:25:49 (permalink)
    Last September, I competed in a KCBS-sanctioned barbeque competition. I was set up next to the team from Prater's.  I didn't win squat, but Prater's took first place for their chicken.  They're at exit 110 on I-24.  Highway 41 runs just a block away.  Try the chicken.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10094
    Re:TN/KY Sunday dinner Road Food stop (+ WI) 2014/05/05 23:36:32 (permalink)
    Your plans sound pretty aggressive!  Considering you're not using Interstates, St. Augustine to Bowling Green by sunset???? Have you plotted this out on MapQuest or other sources? Even using the Interstates, its an 11-12 hour haul not taking into account extra stops. 700 + Miles! You'd have to average over 65 MPH on 2 lane roads and going thru numerous towns and stoplights. Almost impossible unless you're a re-creation of "Smokey & The Bandit" 
    Keysey42
    Hamburger
    Re:TN/KY Sunday dinner Road Food stop (+ WI) 2014/05/06 10:38:22 (permalink)
    Yes, I've plotted the run on Google Maps, MotionX GPS and Apple Maps. They've all shown Chattanooga is easily doable, Murfreesboro is possible and Bowling Green, while a stretch, is potentially reachable. We plan to leave well before dawn on Sunday (5 a.m. at the latest), and since sunset isn't until after 8 p.m. that time of year, we have at least 15 hours to get as far as we can.

I ran the first leg (from St. Augustine to Live Oak) a couple of weeks ago, at the speed limit, and came within a minute of Google's predicted travel time.

No, I'm not the Bandit. I keep the cruise control at, or only 2-3 mph above (if I'm being pushed by impatient drivers) the speed limit.

We'll angle northwest through FL through Green Cove Springs, Starke, Lake Butler and Lake City, stopping at the Dixie Grill & Steer Room in Live Oak (open 5 a.m. daily including Sunday). Our 2013 Ford Fusion has a practical range (re-fill at around 1/4 tank) of 300-350 miles, so we should be able to do day 1 w/3 gas stops maximum. We're not huge eaters — a good breakfast and a good lunch or dinner will sustain us, and we're taking a tin of homemade peanut butter cookies and ginger cookies to nosh on enroute (and a cooler with Pepsi Max for caffeine jolts). So we can make the trip on 1 breakfast/gas stop and 2 additional gas stops, along with rest room/leg stretching stops as needed.

We've made this trip (though by a slightly different route) before, and easily made Chattanooga with daylight to spare. Whether we go beyond that on this trip depends on how I feel and what time it is. My sister can drive if needed, but she hasn't driven the Fusion, so she'll only step in if I get fatigued.
    MellowRoast
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:TN/KY Sunday dinner Road Food stop (+ WI) 2014/05/06 10:52:08 (permalink)
    Chattanooga has a great restaurant scene, but on Sundays most of the non-chain establishments go into what I call Chick-fil-A mode.  However, for breakfast on Monday morning, I would strongly suggest Innside Restaurant at 800 Chestnut St. downtown (I would recommend Bluegrass Grill, but they're closed both Sunday and Monday). 

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/109/854297/restaurant/Innside-Restaurant-Chattanooga

I think Scrumptiouschef will back me up on this one.
    post edited by MellowRoast - 2014/05/06 12:30:41
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:TN/KY Sunday dinner Road Food stop (+ WI) 2014/05/18 12:05:24 (permalink)
    Keysey42

My mom, sister and I will be taking a road trip this summer from St. Augustine, FL to Milwaukee, WI. We plan to avoid the Interstates as much as possible, preferring instead to stick to secondary highways. Because I'll be the only one driving, we plan to make an overnight stop on the way. Our Day 1 route will take us west of Atlanta through Thomasville, Albany, Americus, Manchester, Newnan, Carrollton and Rome, GA. Because it will be mid-summer, we'll have plenty of daylight, so we're hoping to make it at least to Chattanooga, and as far as Murfreesboro or even Bowling Green, KY by sunset, at which point we'll stop for the night.

We'll be coming in to Chattanooga on Highway 27, taking Highway 41 from Chattanooga to Murfeesboro, and the Lebanon Pike from Murfreesboro to Bowling Green.

We're looking for a good Road Food dinner stop, then, between Chattanooga and Bowling Green. Day 1 will be a Sunday (July 27), so any recommended restaurants have to be open between 7 and 10 p.m. on Sundays (which sadly leaves out Zarzour's in Chattanooga). To stay on time and make it as far as possible on the first day, we'd prefer not to deviate too far from the posted route. We're also looking for good breakfast stops in the same area that are open early (we plan to be on the road by 6 a.m. Monday).

Though we've got several favorite places already picked out in Milwaukee (Kopp's, Three Brothers, Balistreri's), will spend a day sampling food at the State Fair (we're mainly going for the cream puffs!) and will attend a Brewers game at Miller Park, Milwaukee suggestions outside of those already on Road Food are welcome, too. And we hope to make side trips to New Glarus, Door County (for a fish boil) and possibly even Marquette, MI if time permits.

Suggest away, Rood Food Folks!

If you stop in Chattanooga for dinner, Champy's is fantastic. They have the best Fried Chicken I've had plus loads of other goodies. If your timing is right, they may even have the Crawfish Boil still going.

DT
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:TN/KY Sunday dinner Road Food stop (+ WI) 2014/05/18 12:09:10 (permalink)
    Heartbreaksoup

Far be it for me to recommend that you get back on the interstate, but...

Leaving Chattanooga for M-boro, the US-41/US-64 bridge over Nickajack Lake has been out for ages and traffic diverted onto I-24 for a couple of miles anyway.  I'd recommend that you take I-24 from Chattanooga about 15 miles to its suburb of South Pittsburg / Jasper, and then pick up 41 going north.  You might enjoy a short leg-stretch at Foster Falls, near Sequatchie.  Also, the drive up and down Monteagle is fantastic on 41, much nicer than the interstate.

Unfortunately, every idea I have between Chattanooga and M-boro on 41 is closed Sundays.  If you'd like to eat in Chattanooga before you go, however, Mojo Burrito is open and really good - their St Elmo store is very close to US-27.  Tremont Tavern has exceptionally good burgers but is a bit of a detour across the river to Chatt's north shore neighborhood.  Rib & Loin is on Brainerd (US-64) and has good barbecue. 

There is a barbecue place in Manchester, between US-41 and I-24, called Prater's.  I've heard it's good but haven't been myself.  Urbanspoon suggests they're open Sundays.

I've never been north of M-boro on the Pike, so I can't help you going that way.

Not sure how late they stay open but Bell Buckle Cafe in Bell Buckle, Tn is open on Sundays. An amazing M+3

DT
    chickenplucker
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 188
    Re:TN/KY Sunday dinner Road Food stop (+ WI) 2014/05/18 12:55:48 (permalink)
    If you do make it to Dixie Grill In Live Oak ask if they have their bread pudding ready yet. Absolutely incredible.....
    Keysey42
    Hamburger
    Re:TN/KY Sunday dinner Road Food stop (+ WI) 2014/05/18 16:16:07 (permalink)
    We'll definitely hit Dixie Grill, chickenplucker — they open @ 5 a.m. even on Sunday, so even if we leave St. Auggie @ 4 a.m., they'll be open by the time we get there. If they don't have the bread pudding that day, we'll make the trip sometime for lunch. It's a pretty easy drive from Ocala. I've already had their Fried Green Tomato BLT - good stuff.

Thanks for the tips on Champy's & Bell Buckle, Davwud!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1