TODAI- The Asian Seafood Buffet

Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15286
2004/07/10 19:27:15 (permalink)

TODAI- The Asian Seafood Buffet

During out previous life in SoCal (pre-2000) we used to enjoy eating at the TODAI- Asian Seafood Buffet in Huntington Beach. It was a good place to take visitors from outside the area for a good variety of Asian Food at reasonable prices (especially the lunch menu).
While reviewing the thread on Portland OR today I was suprised to see a TODAI listed in Portland , so I Google Searched the name.I was unaware that the restaurant had franchised out to become a nationwide chain, with stores in White Plains NY, Atlanta, Tampa, Houston and Dallas, as well as Phoenix, Vegas and a few in the NorthWest too. I have a couple of questions about the quality of the place now that we can label it "A Chain":
1. For SoCal Residents- Has the quality of the Huntington Beach Store dropped in the last couple of years--since the last time we were in (2002). How about the other SoCal stores? Any recent visitors to TODAI ready to comment or review the place?
2. For folks who live in other areas where a TODAI is now open, How does it stand up to your review? Have we seen a sterotypical drop in quality since the expansion?
Inquiring Minds want to know?[|)]

4 Replies Related Threads

Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2310
    RE: TODAI- The Asian Seafood Buffet 2004/07/10 19:55:51 (permalink)
    Al, I've been to several locations and, by and large, the quality is consistently high.
    Rex Allen
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: TODAI- The Asian Seafood Buffet 2004/07/10 21:50:19 (permalink)
    I had lunch this week at the Todai in San Diego, the food quality is as good as the day it opened. (Very Good) It is in an interesting building right next to Interstate 8. The service is good and they are doing a large business. It was quite crowded at lunch. Rex in expensive San Diego.
    glennpan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: TODAI- The Asian Seafood Buffet 2004/07/12 12:51:00 (permalink)
    I have had meals at several locations around the country (most recently Schaumburg , IL) and find that the quality is quite consistent. Todai is what it is, they have a very wide selection of dishes, and I like going there for brunch. Which at $14.95 is a deal for all you can eat sushi. Nobody is going to confuse the sushi they serve with that of the top end variety, but it is nice to get a fix without breaking the bank.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4044
    RE: TODAI- The Asian Seafood Buffet 2004/07/12 13:40:23 (permalink)
    I have to say that I gave up on Todai a few years ago, based primarily on my experiences in the Woodland Hills and Studio city restaurants. After several years of Todai being one of my favorites I found the food and prep had gone way downhill. In the last few years I have replaced them with O-Nami, a similar chain that seems to have much higher food quality standards. They also have several locations including San Diego, Torrance and Laguna Hills. I have found the buffet there superb. They usually have stuffed lobster in addition to all the other goodies such as sashimi, sushi, teriyaki and a marvelous collection of cold Japanese dishes including beef tataki (yum!).
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1