TOWN TOPIC IN KC= #1

Author
TWODRM
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2004/06/18 13:04:37 (permalink)

TOWN TOPIC IN KC= #1

Does anybody agree with me that the burgers at either one of the town topics in KC are the best "steakburgers" around? A ball of prime beef balled up, thrown on a griddle, smashed down thin with a spatula and cooked to perfection by the most colorful waitresses ever to don a baby blue uniform. Not to mention the tiny 50's digs with counter only seating, jukebox, pinball and more grease on the walls and ceilings than your plain white wrapper burger. The greasy flat burger needs no toppings (besides the requested grilled onions) except mustard and ketchup at most. If you are really hungry try the truckstop breakfast. The one on Broadway is open latenight, that is the best time to get an accurate sampling of the characters of KC. Just look for the blue neon. The other one is on Baltimore, a couple blocks East but is lunch only.

3 Replies Related Threads

Bill B.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: TOWN TOPIC IN KC= #1 2004/06/18 15:22:22 (permalink)
    A classic KC greasy spoon. The one south of downtown just off Broadway used to be open late at night. It was like someplace out of a crime noir novel.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4629
    RE: TOWN TOPIC IN KC= #1 2004/06/18 15:37:47 (permalink)
    ....if you were there at the right time (4:30a.m.) you could see the grill man using the ice cream scoop to make the balls o' beef.
    a wax paper square went between each one, ready to sacrifice their essence to all us willing souls. Definitely have to issue
    the command "with", meaning with the grilled onions. they finally added a deep fryer sometime in the mid '80's, I think. Before that, hash browns were the only choice for potatoes.
    Bill
    TWODRM
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: TOWN TOPIC IN KC= #1 2004/06/18 15:57:09 (permalink)
    Bill, you are exactly right. Once you learn the grease-speak, it just rolls out naturally, plus you tend to get just a tad less surlyness from the beauties behind the counter. I always get a double cheese "with" and if I am bold on that day, a chocolate shake to seal it off, but even with a water or a coke you get that great, crushed nugget style ice. That is interesting that they used to only serve up browns. I have on many occasions foregone the delicious fries for some browns, again "with". There is some distinct taste to those burgers that I have attributed over the years to the oil they squirt onto the griddle out of an old clear ketchup style bottle. I believe whatever industrial juice that may be, adds that tang that is so recognizable to what seems to be just a plain, smashed and fried wad o' beef.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1