Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 34
mayor al

• Total Posts: 15060
  • Roadfood Insider
TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Mon, 04/10/06 12:03 PM (permalink)
Trip Report- Nashville
April 8 & 9, 2006

Despite some Tornado disasters in both the Louisville area and Nashville on Friday, April 7th we decided to follow through with our plan to meet with Poverty Pete and visit some places he has picked out as “Roadfood Worthy”. We have learned to trust PP’s judgment concerning a lot of things, especially food-stops!
So Saturday morning we loaded up the dogs and a change of clothes and headed south. Nashville is roughly 3 hours south of Louisville on I-65 so it was an easy ride. A couple of truck-stops on the KY side of the state line have the cheapest fuel prices in both states, so we took a fuel break and dog-walk rest there ($2.51/gallon). That put us in Nashville just before noon. Traffic on the two interstates that bisect the city was pretty bad due to storm damage close to the freeways in several places. Lot’s of Lookie-Lous kept us at a crawl for several miles.

The plan originally called for a Cajun lunch at WILMA KAYES, but it was closed until the dinner period, so we shifted out emphasis to some Texas BBQ for the noon meal. Poverty Pete joined us and we headed to JUDGE BEANS at 123 12th Ave. North. The place had all the appearances of a Texas bar and restaurant. They obviously had a series of events coming-up that would be of interest to some Roadfooders .

I ordered the Sampler Plate- Brisket, Pork Ribs, Sausage slices, Chicken Wings, and a Tamale, with a stuffed Jalapeno and Cowboy Beans for side dishes. The Jalapeno’s were filled with cheese and shrimp and wrapped in Bacon. Janet had Brisket Wraps (3 to an order) and enjoyed them very much. Steve got a plate of Stuffed Jalapenos (bacon wrapped) with his order of Brisket Wraps. The main problem with all of this was that most of it was COLD when served. The Beans would have been good, but serving them barely lukewarm was a real negative. We had the same problem with the Wings and Tamale. The Wraps and the Jalapenos were fine. Over all the food was fair, but serving everything HOT (temperature) would have improved it quite a bit. Score a 6 on a 10 scale for this visit.
Here are the Stuffed Jalapenos

Brisket Wraps and Cowboy Beans and fries

The Sample Plate

After Lunch we did some plant shopping, then wandered around town walking the dogs in one of the city parks and checking out the rail lines for photo possibilities before taking a “Beer Break” at the YAZOO Microbrewery. We enjoyed an “R & R” with some tasty malt beverages and set the stage for dinner.

Then it was time to head back to WILMA KAYES for dinner. We decided to get another assortment sampler and share around the table. Oysters (great), Crab Cakes (salty), Fried Pie filled with shrimp and crab (very good) and small cups of Red Beans & Rice, Gumbo, and Etouffee (all quite good). The Fried Pie was really good. The pie stuffing had the tastes of the Cajun seafood.

That finished our day.

Sunday morning Poverty Pete wanted to ride his new Harley, so we followed him to the scene of what was to become an EXCELLENT Brunch at ELLENDALES RESTAURANT at 22739 Old Elm Hill Pike. A classic menu restaurant, it has a Sunday Brunch that ranks near the top of any we have enjoyed on our roadtrips. [url]www.ellendales.com[/url]

Starting with fresh-squeezed Orange Juice, we then made the rounds to check out the various buffet tables. The place was really mellow with families coming in after church in what could be described as a calm atmosphere. The Omelet Chef was a master at his art.

The assortment of things to put into your omelets was huge. The finished product was about as good as an omelet can be. The Waffle Man was also cranking out superb-looking waffles with various items added to the batter to ‘customize’ them to taste. The buffet tables were loaded with the traditional Brunch item that all looked wonderful. There was a tureen of delicious Crab Chowder.

I selected Cheese Grits, Fresh Fruit and some breakfast meats to go with a cup of that Chowder and my shrimp and bacon filled Omelet.

Then a short trip to the dessert table was the Grand Finale-chocolate and strawberries!

Then it was time to bid our friend goodbye and head north. We enjoyed a beautiful sunny ride up to Louisville. Thanks to Poverty Pete for introducing us to these places in his (adopted) hometown.

P S The Hushpuppies we got with our Cajun Dinner really work! The dogs loved the few that made it to them!

Sundancer7

RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Mon, 04/10/06 1:31 PM (permalink)
    Al, as usual, a very nice presentation. The restaurants should hire you for food photos. Everything looked excellent to me, even the cold stuff. The last place looked the best though.

Evil Knievel AKA Poverty Pete's new bike looked great.

I sure did miss out.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
      RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Mon, 04/10/06 1:57 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

That is the best picture I have seen in awhile. I only wish that I could attend a day of "butt sniffing and genital licking!"

quote:
      Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Mmmmm.....Shiner Bock. I just got back from Houston. It is probably my last trip to TX for a little while, and I already miss the Shiner. I know that I can get it in bottles here, but the real pour of a draught Shiner is something I will just miss.

Good report -- thanks!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
        RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Mon, 04/10/06 2:17 PM (permalink)

Steve,
        I don't know if I can JOG 5K or whatever. But the alternate events of the day would make participation more interesting, that's for sure.

And as for the Shiner's...We love doing the tour of the brewery just to get the 3 samples in the tasting room after! Talk about the Best of the Best !!

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
          RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Mon, 04/10/06 2:44 PM (permalink)
          Love, love, love trip reports! Thanks for doing this -- and that was quite a picture of tornado damage. Gonna be a rough spring, I believe.

The Travelin Man

RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Mon, 04/10/06 2:48 PM (permalink)
            Jog? I didn't say ANYTHING about jogging! Come to think of it -- I didn't see any reference to jogging in that sign anywhere!

It kind of reminds me of the email that I recently received that stated:

"The CN Tower - Canada's National Tower - is the tallest building in the
            world, measuring 553 meters (1,815 feet). Here is a great view of her!..."

Good looking tower!

Sundancer7

RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Mon, 04/10/06 2:50 PM (permalink)
              SteveK: Look on the door at the sign: 5K jog.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

NebGuy

• Total Posts: 875
                RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Mon, 04/10/06 3:05 PM (permalink)
                What tower?

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                  RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Mon, 04/10/06 3:39 PM (permalink)
                  Hey where is the tower in the picture?
                  I see a few mountains .

Once again a great presentation by Al the Mayor . I hope one day to be able to join some Roadfooders down south on an excursion .

Benzee

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                    RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Mon, 04/10/06 3:43 PM (permalink)
                    BUtt sniffing and genital scratching?...All the while eating bacon wrapped jalapenos?....
                    I would be careful after eating a jalapeno as to what I would scratch.
                    Hmm, I wonder what is involved with the testicle festival?
                    Great photos and review.
                    Sounds like you had a blast!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Mon, 04/10/06 4:13 PM (permalink)
                      Thanks for sharing Al! Looks like you had a good time... But curious, other then cream cheese, whats that stuffed into the jalapeno? Carrot?? Either way, all the food is lookin good...

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                        RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Mon, 04/10/06 5:36 PM (permalink)

Vic,
                        The Jalapenos had shrimp (lots of shrimp!) mixed into the cream cheese.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                          RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Mon, 04/10/06 5:59 PM (permalink)
                          Mr. Mayor, as always, great report and great pictures!!

Bobs

• Total Posts: 244
                            RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Mon, 04/10/06 7:25 PM (permalink)
                            Mayor- That was fantastic! Where are you headed next?

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                              RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Mon, 04/10/06 7:38 PM (permalink)
                              Bobs,

See the Thread on the Misc- Food Related Forum where I am asking for help for our Summer Roadtrips (2 of them). We are headed West...Twice. I know we will pass thru Lexington TN at least once on those journeys

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Tue, 04/11/06 3:27 AM (permalink)
                                Great report as always.Those pictures make me hungry.

Holly Moore

RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Tue, 04/11/06 5:31 PM (permalink)
                                  Thanks for the heads up on Wilma Kaye's. I get to Nashville a couple of times a month and was running out of places to try. Had the cajun pie and a lusty bowl of gumbo. Both great, as are Wilma Kay and her son Randy who came up with the cajun pie.

Sundancer7

RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Tue, 04/11/06 5:41 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Holly Moore

Thanks for the heads up on Wilma Kaye's. I get to Nashville a couple of times a month and was running out of places to try. Had the cajun pie and a lusty bowl of gumbo. Both great, as are Wilma Kay and her son Randy who came up with the cajun pie.

Holly, thanks for stopping by. As usual, the Mayor and Poverty Pete always pick the best places. We are looking forward to your report the next time you are in Nashville.

If you get a chance, stop in Knoxvile some time. Give me a buzz and perhaps I can show you some Knoxville things. I do not think we can outdoo Wilma Kaye's but I think we can show you something you will like.

Paul E. Smith
                                    Knoxville, TN

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                                      RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Tue, 04/11/06 8:50 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Holly Moore

Holly, if you're running out of places to try, give me a call. I got a sackful of 'em. Ask me about carne seca tacos and giant margaritas.

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Tue, 04/11/06 8:52 PM (permalink)
                                        Ask Him...Ask Him.

The food was really good and a couple of 45oz Margaritas were enough to slow Bushie down a bit !

The Travelin Man

RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Tue, 04/11/06 9:42 PM (permalink)
                                          Dang....I have seen aquariums with less liquid than those!

Poverty Pete

RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Wed, 04/12/06 6:03 AM (permalink)
                                            Those are the medium sized drinks. The large ones are 60's. They also are not watered-down versions of what you would get elsewhere. They have a LOT of tequila in them. You start feeling it before it looks like you've even started on one.

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Wed, 04/12/06 7:08 AM (permalink)

That's why Bushie has that goofy grin. That's his second one sitting there waiting to do it's job!

But let's not shy away from the real message....The food was amazing and really "inexpensive". My Carnitas were great and only $7 for a full dinner!

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 889
                                                RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Wed, 04/12/06 10:17 AM (permalink)
                                                Looks like a good time was had by all! Yo Pete, I tried the "El Texano" spin-off of Judge Bean's down Nolensville way last week and was very impressed with the food and the guy running the place. Had their version of the brisket wrap, only with corn tortillas. Very good!!

Poverty Pete

RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Wed, 04/12/06 11:54 AM (permalink)
                                                  Pogo, have you been to Bean's new location? I think the food was better at the old place, but maybe they just had an off day.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6219
                                                    RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Wed, 04/12/06 1:52 PM (permalink)
                                                    As usual, great write-up Mr. Mayor and splendid pictures!!

Dang, I wish I lived closer to you guys so I could participate!

Poverty Pete

RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Wed, 04/12/06 2:05 PM (permalink)
                                                      Lisa, I believe you would have enjoyed that Sunday brunch. I've taken many people there, and it's always the highlight of a weekend.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6219
                                                        RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Wed, 04/12/06 3:04 PM (permalink)
                                                        OK, I'll let you take me to brunch........IF you give me a ride on that new Harley!!! What a beaut!

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4482
                                                          • Location: Cincinnati, OH
                                                          RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Wed, 04/12/06 3:22 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by lleechef

....splendid pictures!!

which was your favorite?

The public service event announcements?
                                                          http://www.roadfood.com/insider/photos/637.jpg

or

canadian architecture?
                                                          http://www.chez106.com/images/jeffbrown/cntower.jpg

:-)

Poverty Pete

• Location: Nashville, TN
                                                            RE: TRIP REPORT- Weekend in Nashville, April 2006 Wed, 04/12/06 7:02 PM (permalink)
                                                            Lisa, Mapquest says Nashville to Anchorage is 4090 miles...you have any plans for this coming Sunday?

quote:
                                                            Originally posted by lleechef

OK, I'll let you take me to brunch........IF you give me a ride on that new Harley!!! What a beaut!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 34

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com