TV Informecial Products That Actually Work

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2010/08/01 14:00:29 (permalink)

TV Informecial Products That Actually Work

It's Sunday afternoon and local tv is still mostly informercials. It's hard to believe that so many people are going to be taken in by the hype and ultimately order something sight unseen that's quickly going to become a disappointment and get stuck with shipping and handling costs that rival the cost of the product if they send it back. I've never bought a product from a tv pitch, but I have bought some once they went retail where you have recourse of return and often a 20% coupon. Most have been busts and were quickly returned, but a few managed to meet or exceed expectations in some cases from companies with less then stellar reputati

What items have you purchased that actually worked better then you expected? Some may not have met the claims of the tv pitch, but none-the-less do a particular task very well that you'd be sorry to loose it or buy another just in case. 

85 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/01 14:23:02 (permalink)
    The Ove Glove (after it went retail).
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/01 14:50:19 (permalink)
    I bought one of these about 20+ years ago with a lot more "extras" and I'm still using it regularly. It's the only infomercial I've ever responded to.  pb
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6399
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/01 15:41:11 (permalink)
    I've always Jonesed for a Popeil Pocket Fisherman but I don't fish much anymore.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/01 16:27:42 (permalink)
    The Shamwow really works well!
    I bought a bug vacuum from Hammeker Schlemmer, that sucked so bad because it simply didn't suck at all! Thought it would solve my Ladybug problems this Spring.
    post edited by chewingthefat - 2010/08/01 16:58:35
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/01 19:35:39 (permalink)
    http://www.boerner-germany.de/hobel/v3.html
    porkbeaks

I bought one of these about 20+ years ago with a lot more "extras" and I'm still using it regularly. It's the only infomercial I've ever responded to.  pb

I too love the Boërner V-Slicer. In fact I bought a back-up maybe 5 or more years ago for a back-up to a product I've used weekly at least for maybe 10 years and I've never had to unwrap it.
    Onions sliced or diced, the Boërner is there when I need it.

Ahi Mpls.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 923
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/01 19:46:57 (permalink)

Sorry Davydd!,  I just called my folks, and my little Brother's Pocket Fisherman went the way of my B'Dazzler and Popeil Rock Tumbler.... That one turned driveway gravel into wet, somewhat shiny driveway gravel.
           Took about 2 days though, not worth the money.

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3568
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/01 21:41:29 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

The Shamwow really works well!

I second that!  One I've not personally used, but a friend swears by, is the Emery Cat.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2726
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/01 22:00:07 (permalink)

These work great, although they take up a lot of space and are uni-taskers.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8120
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/01 23:15:30 (permalink)
    I've never purchased from the TV but...

I have and love:
    Ove glove  --  bought at CVS  (I now have 2)
    Boerner  --  purchased at county fair
    Set it and forget it Rotisserie  --  paid $5 at a garage sale

purchased and doesn't work well:

that putty stuff that you knead and stick

I've heard mixed reviews of the shamwow

DawnT
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/02 01:16:29 (permalink)
     Only recent dud was the Vidalia Chop Wizard. Too small for average onions and needs more muscle then I have to use.
    BBB could have it back. Similar turkeys have been the Power Chopper
    Vacu-Vin marinator, and the large George Foreman Rotisserie. Thanks, but no thanks.

Then there are those things that may not work great as intended, but really excell at another. My dad took a shine to Frappaccinos that pushed the limits of my old Waring blender. Big Lots had these Ninja iced drink blender/crushers factory serviced for $28. I hadn't seen the infomercial beforehand. Truthfully, they make lousy Frappaccinos with an icy texture. For that matter they don't even do Daiquiris very well either. They do crush ice to a snow cone consistantly though rather well.  But as a food processor, holy cow, I've never owned one that worked this good! It comes with both a 3 cup container and a large pitcher that handles a half gallon. The gimmick is dual blades, otherwise no different then a food processor. The dual blades means not having to stop and scrape to get the stuff at the top chopped. Recent major brand FP's now have shallow center shafts meaning that even in a 12 cup bowl, any amount of liquid is going to leak out. With the pitcher, I can make a half gallon of runny Salsa or chop two celery hearts, much less with the smaller container with ease. It's also constructed much heavier then most TV products. I haven't used my 12C Kitchen Aid since. Even at TV price it would be worth it as just a fantastic food processor.

The magic bullets got a bad rap for much the same reason as they don't live up to the TV hype. For spice grinding and blending liquid in small amounts they're unbeatable and a must have in my kitchen. As a mini food processor or drink maker, they're a waste of money.
    Mine was an after Christmas return markdown with a 20% coupon and still running strong for at least 6-7 years.

Then we have good 'ole Ron's Showtime Rotisseries that I feel almost ashamed to admit I own one.  If you believe the reviews, they are a cheap item that breaks in no time, particularly the feet that hold the door.  I did make an impulse buy of his Compact Rotisserie kit for $45 as a cutout clearance of NIB old stock. What a timesaver it been!  This thing is elegantly designed to accomodate quite a bit in a small foot print with very secure 2 tine spit. I even sprung for a set of the skewers off Ebay because they make a better arrangement to wrap a rack of ribs...yeah, whole rack in this tiny thing instead of his accessory rib basket and hooks that would limit you to Baby Back's. If this died today I have my money's worth. Four years now..closer to 5 and still working very well used at least once a week.  I've done several Pork Butts, and many turkey breasts as well. Unless you can find around a 8lb turkey, the infomercial is stretching it. Great product during the summer when you want to keep the kitchen heat down and it's a dream to clean up if you line the drip tray with foil. True to the reviews, it's not build very robustly, but with a little care such as detaching the door for cleaning, it should last quite a while.
    TrentonDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 736
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/03 08:03:38 (permalink)
    The Grill Daddy worked great for me. But if you want to save a few bucks, use a regular grill brush dipped in a cup of water on a pre-heated grill.

The "Euro Sealer" worked well for a couple of years until it wore out. It was nice to re-seal chip bags, etc.

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/03 15:15:40 (permalink)
    JRP, please tell us more about that bowl

Dawn, I have a Magic Bullet that I got for xmas. I ahve been scared to use it. Can you tell me more?

The Shamwows. I have used those for years. If you have pets or kids they are a must!
    Joe
    DawnT
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/03 16:13:00 (permalink)
    I have a coffee grinder that's reserved for spices. It's hard to clean out though. The bullet does the same job with the small cup using the flat blades. The upwards pointing one is best for blending. When I make up marinades, the bullet works great for those amounts rather then using the blender. When I do black beans, I like to thicken them with about a ladle full removed and blended in bullet before serving. To make reasonable amounts of sauces or home made salad dressings or thicken with either pectin or xantan gum, the larger cups are just right. Best part of doing these is you just add a little dish water into the cup afterwards and blend it to clean it out easily before washing. The one that I have seems much too fast for doing any food processing of any kind no matter how you pulse and shake, you end up with mush and large pieces.
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/03 22:48:35 (permalink)
    I have always had trouble shelling boiled eggs - no matter what the technique - I've tried it all - using less fresher eggs - and all the cooking methods associated with it - anyway I don't know if it was an infomercial or not - but when I saw the little contraption that the swore would actually peel my egg in one fell swoop -

I fell for it.

And it didn't work.  And after a few friends and coworkers tried it maybe two out of every dozen eggs actually got extracted from its shell.

This is the only product I can think of that I felt compelled to order--my Mom on the other hand tries a lot of them out - the latest being the upside down tomato plant which so far has produced two small tomatoes that turned bad before harvesting.

If it sounds too good ........

jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/04 03:14:20 (permalink)
    Davydd

I've always Jonesed for a Popeil Pocket Fisherman but I don't fish much anymore.

Here's a video i made a couple years ago. lol 
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_c7jJgV7Vg
    TrentonDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 736
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/04 07:31:18 (permalink)
    baileysoriginal

.....my Mom on the other hand tries a lot of them out - the latest being the upside down tomato plant which so far has produced two small tomatoes that turned bad before harvesting.

If it sounds too good ........

I saw those planters on TV and thought to myself that the plant probably wouldn't appreciate being hung upside down. Do the stems turn upwards toward the sun?

A friend of mine tried a "pasta perfect" gizmo and all it ever did was make undercooked pasta. I think you just poured boiling water in it and let it sit. Another brilliant idea. Luckily, most of us have low expectations of these gadgets.

My parents have a Showtime rotisserie, they use it al the time. It makes awesome roast chicken. If it wasn't so darn big, I'd buy one myself.

DawnT
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/04 08:17:51 (permalink)
    The Compact rotisserie that we have is only about a cubic foot and takes up very little space. There's even a smaller one that I seen being sold around Christmas in Walgreen's Drugs that still can accomodate a 7-8lb chicken last year. I never do a chiclen larger then 5lbs and it still can feed 4. 
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/04 12:53:41 (permalink)
    The OvGlove rocks

The Boerner V Slicer is the best

My Ronco Rotiesserie, which I bought used from craigslist has works perfect. Although I don't use it as much as I used too.

My Magic Bullet (which was bought as a christmas gift from Linens-N-Things) is awesome for frozen drinks and many dips. Lately, I've been making fruit smoothies, and it's a gem. I also have the blender attachment which is good too, but I prefer making individual drinks as done on TV. The only bad thing about Magic Bullet is the juicer attachment, which is crap. I've had nothing but great results with the rest of it - especially in the drink department.

My (small) George Foreman grill has become my panini maker. I like it because I don't need any butter to make a crispy panini. You have to turn the sandwich, because of the hinge issue, but considering I paid $19.99 some ten/twelve years ago or more, it was a good investment. I rarely use it for grilling meats, as I have a stove-top grill now.

The magic putty is crap. Doesn't work - at all. I bought that at a home store that have a as-seen-on-tv section. what a mistake.

stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/04 15:16:13 (permalink)
    KaBoom cleaner works great, but like Dawn said, you have to not follow the directions.

I doused my shower stall in it, waited half an hour, then doused my shower again. Everything slid to the bottom of the shower floor, all I had to do is spray it out real good by letting the shower run for a few minutes, then wipe it down with a wet sponge. Like magic!!! It cleaned the dingy sides of the stall (this thing was old when I moved in 11 years ago), and the floor very nicely. I'd never seen it that clean. Now I do that once a year or so.
    post edited by stricken_detective - 2010/08/22 12:08:13
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10332
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/04 22:22:30 (permalink)
    I decided to become a Salesman after a Family vacation to Atlantic City. I was maybe 9-10. I watched a pitchman on the Boardwalk hawking the Veg-O-Matic to the suckers lined up to buy one. I was mesmerized! It was that Epiphany that lead to my life as a Salesman!

Here's the actual speel from the all time #1 Seen On TV item by the all time #1 TV Pitch Man:

"This is the original, the one-and-only Veg-O-Matic, the world-famous kitchen appliance.! This is the only invention in the world that slices whole, firm tomatoes in one stroke, with every seed in place..! Isn't that amazing? ( IMHO the greatest sales tag line ever conceived)!  Chop an onion without crying. Slice vegetables with one stroke.

The Ronco Veg-O-Matic is the one kitchen appliance you'll wonder how you ever did without! It slices, it dices, and so much more! Three cutting blades will allow you to cut potatoes in one stroke! Tomato slices perfectly every time, and in just one stroke! French Fries! Cottage Fries and more! Chop and onion without crying, and bring new life to salads, main courses and vegetable sides in no time."

The above words were those of Ron Popeil, one of the great pitchmen of our time!! The Veg-O-Matic was sold on TV by Ron Popeil and he made it famous. In fact, a Veg-O-Matic even rests in the Smithsonian - along with a video of Popeil and his sales pitch.

If you have one, it's worth some serious coin!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/04 22:53:47 (permalink)
    I also bought the original Bamix immersion blender.  

I also bought it after watching the demonstration at the fair.

I love the fair for all of the gadgets!

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/05 08:41:18 (permalink)
    I inherited my Mom's Veg-O-Matic. I wish I still had it.
    gostillerz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/18 18:20:13 (permalink)
    I got that Black & Decker Infrawave toaster oven from Big Lots last month for $40. So far, it's much better than any other one I've had (but it's a bit small).
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1329
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/21 14:30:59 (permalink)
    I find that far too many "As Seen On TV" gadgets are good ideas made so cheaply as to be useless.

Never buy directly from the TV advertiser; they will work very hard to convince you or trick to buy the extras, and slap you with huge "shipping and handling" charges. They often ask for your credit card number BEFORE you order.

Before I even consider buying an item, I check out several of the many "Does It Work?" consumer segments on local TV around the country. The easiest way to find them is based on the fact that most of them are on a specific day of the week, so if you look up "does it work monday" or "Does it work thursday" or something like that, you will find them.

Here are a few I have bookmarked:
    http://www.kcbd.com/Global/category.asp?C=17500
    http://www.wvec.com/news/consumer
    http://www.kfvs12.com/Global/category.asp?C=12373
    http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/category.asp?C=164518
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18706
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/21 14:52:48 (permalink)
    I always wanted to get a Flowbee, but my wife kept pointing out that you need longer hair than I have to make it worthwhile. I keep mine short enough not to need a comb or brush.
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1365
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/21 18:08:48 (permalink)
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the George Foreman Grill.  We started out with the small one that was first introduced and kept upgrading until the one we have now, large enough for six good sized burgers, with a good range of cooking temps and removable plates that can be put in the dishwasher.  
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/21 19:15:03 (permalink)
    Funny (I think) about the GF Grill was that I bought mine a year or two before they ever made it on TV.  

Michael, I had a Flowbee.  

It was great as long as I wanted my hair to look like an artichoke. Being in the vacuum business then (since I was born) I thought it a natural addition to our lineup.  

I sold it years later for more than I paid for it... used... and they knew it was used.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18706
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/21 19:25:27 (permalink)
    You had a Flowbee? I hate you.

http://www.flowbee.com/order_page.htm
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2010/08/21 19:26:42
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3568
    Re:TV Informecial Products That Actually Work 2010/08/21 21:31:27 (permalink)
    jman

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the George Foreman Grill.  We started out with the small one that was first introduced and kept upgrading until the one we have now, large enough for six good sized burgers, with a good range of cooking temps and removable plates that can be put in the dishwasher.  

I used my George Foreman grill exactly twice before putting it in the garage sale pile.  I believe I finally got rid of it for something like $2.00, and good riddance.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1