TV at McDonalds

Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1976
2010/10/10 10:31:51 (permalink)

TV at McDonalds

When a local McD,s was rebuilt they put in a flat screen TV showing (usually) CNN or Fox news. Tables with a view of the TV were usually in demand, especially for folks eating alone. Now they show infomercials and nobody watches. One day a sign was up, "Sorry, we can not change the channel". I overheard someone say that McD signed a national deal.  I don't know if anyone else was watching, but I was the only one who laughed when the TV told me that I could get rid of my "fast food belly" by using their product.
post edited by tmiles - 2010/10/10 10:34:04

10 Replies Related Threads

sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:TV at McDonalds 2010/10/11 20:00:29 (permalink)
    why do people need tvs wherever they go?
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3480
    Re:TV at McDonalds 2010/10/11 20:07:18 (permalink)
    As someone who spends an awful lot of time eating alone, I appreciate there being TVs in restaurants no matter what kind.  Gives me something to do if I've forgotten my book other than stare at my plate or other diners.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:TV at McDonalds 2010/10/12 09:38:41 (permalink)
    I have only seen them the few times I've stopped at a McD when traveling on the inter state and they were tuned to the Weather Channel. Haven't been in my local McD for years.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    Re:TV at McDonalds 2010/10/13 03:30:56 (permalink)
    I used their free wifi once. Speed was about a half meg. Could hardly open my email! 
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1976
    Re:TV at McDonalds 2011/01/05 09:53:35 (permalink)
    The local McDs that caused me to make my original post is now back to showing CNN or Fox news. As felix says, it is nice to have the TV when eating alone. I get there alone about twice a month. When eating there with my wife, I don't care what it is showing or if the tv is even on. I like the fact that there is no sound. If you want to watch, you can read the closed caption feature. It is also easy to ignore. Speaking of ignore, with the IM feature on cell phones, there are fewer bores talking loudly on cell phones than just a few years ago.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:TV at McDonalds 2011/01/05 10:53:20 (permalink)
    sk bob

why do people need tvs wherever they go?

I'm with you, Bob.  I often find them annoying, particularly the sound.

I was in a Thai/Japanese restaurant for lunch one day, and noticed that their tv was displaying images of insects copulating and eating each other to accompany one's dining.

Maybe in sports bar, with a game on....
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:TV at McDonalds 2011/01/05 13:12:14 (permalink)
    Somehow, a tv set to a station that people will acutally stick around to watch would be counterproductive to a high volume QSR restaurant. While I realize they are now trying to project a more upscale/starbucks like atmosphere then the old burger joint, I don't think it's in their best corporate interest to have you come in to "set a spell". Wonder why the wifi is so slow? That alternative, non alcoholic female safe space nexus for 20+ folks worked great for starbucks by virtue of it's dormant flock when they sell mostly coffee products to socializing youngsters. That model doesn't work to well when you're really in the fast food business by having lots of folks sitting around occupying the real estate.
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:TV at McDonalds 2011/01/06 09:03:46 (permalink)
    A rather amusing story. A few years ago my wife and I were vacationing in the Niagara falls area. My wife is not very adventurous when it come to trying new cuisines so it was quite an accomplishment to talk her into trying a little Vietnamese  restaurant for lunch. We walked into a virtually empty restaurant and were seated in a nice booth except for one thing, there was a 40 inch plus TV mounted about 4ft away facing us. The TV was not on but as we studied the menu one of the staff came over and turned it on.
    They had it hooked up to a vcr and soon either Full Metal Jacket or Apocalypse Now started playing. My wife and I looked at each other and she was totally nervous. I too questioned their choice of customer entertainment but unlike my wife wasn't nearly convinced we were about to be poisoned. I did order a completely forgettable meal and nibbled on some shrimp while the bombs went off on the movie.
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:TV at McDonalds 2011/01/08 21:03:34 (permalink)
    I've dined alone for years being on the road & always had a newspaper or magazine to fall back on be it fast food or a fine dining resteraunt rather than look at the tv.
    in all my years of traveling there is nothing more interesting to watch than the real world around us, but not "reality" tv.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    Re:TV at McDonalds 2011/01/09 12:54:23 (permalink)
    I used to use a local MD's in NYC for internet (6 Ave & W. 15t St). They also had TV. MD's tried to do a "make-over" and make it a "hip" NYC spot, with cool chairs, tables, etc. But after a few weeks the internet was shut off; don't know about tv. 
    Problem was, MD's is usually a hangout for "low-lifes" in NYC, let us say, not the type of people you'd like to get to know better. So it just attracted the "regular" crowd, who I think failed to notice or care about the upgrade decor and amenities; I really wondered how many were using internet for research and learning (unless it was on the sketchy side...!)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1