TV producer looking for 'dives'

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
patticake2
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/09/12 11:46:51 (permalink)
Maurice's Cafe..Greenville SC
Clydes..Waynesville NC
sk bob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1801
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/09/14 21:40:50 (permalink)
Gotta be anyplace called THE DEW DROP INN.
TheHotPepper.com
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/09/14 22:15:29 (permalink)
McSorley's Ale House, the oldest bar in NYC, survived prohibition, you can get burgers, liverwurst, cheese platters, and good beer! They have a super hot mustard that's great on the liverwurst sandwich!
Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/09/14 22:39:25 (permalink)
I have always thought of Roadfood as a very positive site. I am frankly disappointed. Here you have one poster that presents themselves as a TV Producer, and the negativity tumbles out.

I thought I made my point in my previous post, but I reckon negativity rules, too bad, too bad for Roadfood and all of us that love it.
RoyHarv
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/09/14 22:52:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Any place that has a website is definitely not a dive.

How about this place...

http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/

A classic dive, perhaps one of the longest, if not THE longest operating dives around! I once brought a girl I was dating there and she described it as "vile". I ditched the girl, but still hit McSorley's whenever the opportunity arises!

and to add...

http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=11038469

Voted Best of Yahoo! for: Dive Bar

How can you go wrong!

A dive with a web site. I ask you, what is this world coming to?

But I have fond memories of my few visits to McSorely's. The most memorable was when I was in college - mid '70's - went with a few friends on a Saturday night. Crowded, noisy, and everyone having a good time. Their mugs are small; I took one home and measured, maybe six ounces after allowing for the head. And their porter was not particlarly potent. But my friend kept a tally, and I drank 35 of them. Left on my own feet too, and didn't get sick. Of course in those days I was in practice for that sort of thing.

Yes, quite a place, and probably the only one that could retain its character despite a web site.

(EDIT: I just realized how old the post was I was resonding to. Sorry about that.)
mikstu
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/09/20 22:07:11 (permalink)

Whitey's Jolly Kone in West Sacramento CA
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/09/20 23:05:13 (permalink)
Fred's cafe ft worth tx. fly specked, nicotine stained, sprung seats and wonderful food. famous for it's fred burgers. in the evening owner/chef terry chandler create masterpieces rivaling any/all famous chefs in the dfw area.
Outlaws
Junior Burger
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/09/29 19:38:52 (permalink)
Some might think it is a "Dive" but I think it has the best Soul
Food or just down right great southern home cooking.
H & H Restraunt, Macon Georgia. Tell Mama Louise Hi!
4moo
Junior Burger
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/09/30 18:30:00 (permalink)
nebraska roadtrip

great dives in mccook nebraska! everyone goes!

rocket in pizza, indianola nebraska
they use an unusual (i've been trying to figure it out) sauce and you can get it with kraut! great!

mac's drive in
local cheeseburger joint, Great, hard to get a table at lunch!

schnerts dutch oven bakery
bierocks (runzas) it's a nebraska thing!

roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/09/30 23:30:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 4moo

(runzas) it's a nebraska thing!

I know a few runzas personally...
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/10/03 14:16:43 (permalink)
Do a google for this guy's phone number...rather entertaining.
keen5
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/10/03 15:48:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pageprod

I am looking for suggestions of 'dives' to feature in a TV special ... I am defining a dive as a place at least 30 years old, preferably older, with the ambience you'd expect of a 'dive,' proud to be called a dive, with character, characters, and at least one unique or fabulous food item.
Thanks,
David Page
952-210-7733

The Gas House in Edwards, Colorado, about a mile or 2 from Beaver Creek/Vail. They have the best burgers, steaks and the the food is large in servings. They have a full menu and everything on it is awesome, except the "Rocky Mountain Oysters" in my opinion.

The first time my husband pulled in there, I was hesitant by the looks of the outside, not to mention the name. But, once inside, it is a cozy, rustic bar/grill, where all of the locals eat. It actually use to be a gas station in the old, old days.
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/10/04 15:14:22 (permalink)
What I don't understand is why people keep responding to this thread. The original poster has never returned to give any comments or feedback and this thread is almost two months old.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/10/04 15:30:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by V960

Yes...it is!

Dives and infidelity...interesting subjects!
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 424
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/10/05 08:57:51 (permalink)
I recommend the South End Tavern also called Marty Burke's for a half and half sandwich and a glass of beer.

Walt
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/10/05 12:53:26 (permalink)
quote:

I'm confused..the marriage thing?
Must say he certainly has a varied interest in things....
Brookerme
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/10/05 13:35:54 (permalink)
New Brown Jug in Chelsea, MA for calzones or pizza
fhoran
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/10/06 19:14:29 (permalink)
Does anyone really care what the original motive was for this post? If the guy wasn't a tv producer and was really just the owner of a carwash who happened to want some good info on "dives" around the country (I know a few carwash owners - an ecclectic group of folks whose interests are varied) this thread has "legs". I'd say, if you like the topic, keep posting! Fred
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6396
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/10/06 20:00:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fhoran

Does anyone really care what the original motive was for this post? If the guy wasn't a tv producer and was really just the owner of a carwash who happened to want some good info on "dives" around the country (I know a few carwash owners - an ecclectic group of folks whose interests are varied) this thread has "legs". I'd say, if you like the topic, keep posting! Fred

But if you are going to post don't just throw out a name. Post something meaningful like a good description of the place, its history, menu items, maybe a picture, etc.
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/10/06 22:23:46 (permalink)
Okay, you asked ferit. (Bit of a nod to the late Al Lewis, better known as Grandpa Munster, from where I stole the quote).

Frank's Diner used to be a railroad car, but has been sitting in the same spot in downtown Kenosha since 1926 (that's 508 58th St for you Mapquesters). They're open until 2 pm, and specialize in breakfasts, but also have a killer meat loaf and bloody marys. I took Big Beautiful Mich (a.k.a. Mrs. Mich) last Saturday and ordered half a garbage plate (Hey, that's what THEY call it!) with chorizo sausage and bleu cheese with a side of homemade bread and (I hope you're all sitting down) peanut butter. She got a full garbage plate with ham and swiss cheese with an English muffin (I tried to stop her. Honest I did!). Both were quite yummy, even after nooking her leftovers that evening. Garbage plates are a mishmosh of hash brown potatoes, 3 eggs on a HALF plate, or five on a full one, and your choice of meats and cheeses. They charge extra if you want two types of meat or cheese. Get the homemade bread on the side, and the peanut butter is Smuckers in a plastic thingy, but it's PEANUT BUTTER!!! How many diners offer any sort of PB to go with your J, even if Frank's charges you an extra quarter for it? We also had two glasses of orange juice each, but that was like made from concentrate. That's not the draw, anyway.

Man, we scored like maniacs. We only had to wait about 10 minutes for service (I bet that's a Frank's record!), and were seated near the door, so we met EVERYONE coming or going. Good times, good grub, and good kitsch on the walls (what walls we could see, anyway).

Get some semblence of normal metabolism after breakfast by walking around the diner. Someone put a lot of love into the murals on each side, and I bet you enjoy them.
Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/10/07 00:38:26 (permalink)
Ok, then, there's a place in Broomfield, CO, called Frank's Place that's located in a strip mall.

Lots of vinyl, chipped wood, plastic checked tablecloths and an amazing menu of just about anything you could wish. Great breakfasts, of course, and lots of decent Italian. Burgers, sandwiches, blue plate special types. Yum.

I think someone was even shot in the parking lot once.

I gotta get back there again.
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/10/08 17:48:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

Okay, you asked ferit. (Bit of a nod to the late Al Lewis, better known as Grandpa Munster, from where I stole the quote).

Frank's Diner used to be a railroad car, but has been sitting in the same spot in downtown Kenosha since 1926 (that's 508 58th St for you Mapquesters). They're open until 2 pm, and specialize in breakfasts, but also have a killer meat loaf and bloody marys. I took Big Beautiful Mich (a.k.a. Mrs. Mich) last Saturday and ordered half a garbage plate (Hey, that's what THEY call it!) with chorizo sausage and bleu cheese with a side of homemade bread and (I hope you're all sitting down) peanut butter. She got a full garbage plate with ham and swiss cheese with an English muffin (I tried to stop her. Honest I did!). Both were quite yummy, even after nooking her leftovers that evening. Garbage plates are a mishmosh of hash brown potatoes, 3 eggs on a HALF plate, or five on a full one, and your choice of meats and cheeses. They charge extra if you want two types of meat or cheese. Get the homemade bread on the side, and the peanut butter is Smuckers in a plastic thingy, but it's PEANUT BUTTER!!! How many diners offer any sort of PB to go with your J, even if Frank's charges you an extra quarter for it? We also had two glasses of orange juice each, but that was like made from concentrate. That's not the draw, anyway.

Man, we scored like maniacs. We only had to wait about 10 minutes for service (I bet that's a Frank's record!), and were seated near the door, so we met EVERYONE coming or going. Good times, good grub, and good kitsch on the walls (what walls we could see, anyway).

Get some semblence of normal metabolism after breakfast by walking around the diner. Someone put a lot of love into the murals on each side, and I bet you enjoy them.
I grew up in Kenosha, ate @ Frank's once, the service was HORRIBLE, and spent an hour in the bathroom.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5092
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/10/08 19:49:02 (permalink)
In Dallas:
No. 1-Adaire's Saloon.
No. 2-Louie's.
No. 3-Sonny Bryan's BBQ, The original location on Inwood Rd.
No. 4-The Loon.
All of the above well qualify.
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/10/09 10:03:59 (permalink)
Troll, spam, troll, spam, trool spam...duh
Howt
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/10/09 10:43:21 (permalink)
Sakis in evanston il. Not quite the dive it used to be. Two specials on menu that are different.
fhoran
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/10/09 19:14:45 (permalink)
quote:

Looked to me like he is what he said he is. Fred
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 912
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/10/13 18:34:22 (permalink)
quote:

Actually, I poked around online briefly a month ago and almost immediately stumbled upon his web page selling two videos he produced ... one about Branson Missouri ... and the other a video of a Christmas Tree (for people who don't have a real tree I guess).
I wish I would have posted the Christmas Tree video link then ... pretty funny stuff ... I just tried finding the page again but had no luck.
Yup, I 'spose he's a video producer.

If you read his bio at the pageprod website ... then going from that, to hawking a video of a Christmas tree sitting in his living room ... hmmmmmm, that would seem a long way to fall. Reminds me of Steve Martin in The Jerk: "I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things. My friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? O.k. ..."
KUTEDYMPLES
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/10/15 22:43:06 (permalink)
In Whitley city Kentucky there is a place that still delivers to your car. Dairy Bar is the name of this quaint little place. It is a roadside restraunt that has been there forever. They make a great 5-way chili and a great burger that you can't get anywhere else, a hot fudge cake to die for.
boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1460
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/10/16 00:19:42 (permalink)
The Keg Lounge in Manitou Springs CO. Steak night on Thursdays, Buffalo burgers and FRESH beef delivered every day by the packing house 4 miles down the road! Also Bennies' bar on Colorado Ave in Colo. Spgs. CO. No food except for potluck when the Broncos are playing or other functions. Pig roast once or twice per season. MMMMMMMMMMM GOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!

David O.
ctfrasier
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: TV producer looking for 'dives' 2006/10/16 00:58:42 (permalink)
Everybody needs a good breakfast after a night in Nashville's honkeytonks. The best place to continue with the theme is Hermitage Cafe, just outside of downtown on Hermitage Ave. This place is certainly older than 30 years. It has good diner food and is always packed late at night. Ypu'll find everyone from cowboys to goth kids trying to stave off a hangover. It's got everything you're looking for.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1