TVs in bars?

Author
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 902
2006/03/22 13:25:25 (permalink)

TVs in bars?

When I'm going out for a drink, I have always had a very strong preference for bars or lounges that have *NO* televisions; and have spent considerable effort finding those that do not, or at least don't have them on typically. (it's tough work but somebodys got to do it).

In fact, I find it fairly impossible to stay in an establishment that has their TVs (or a tv) blaring, and will leave immediately unless I am with company with whom it would be impolite.

My feeling is that if I want to drink and watch television I can do it in my living room. I go to an establishment for the people, the conversation, the relative relaxation and quiet (yes I like quiet bars).

Question: Do you prefer television when you go to a bar/lounge? ... And how strongly do you feel about it?

14 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    RE: TVs in bars? 2006/03/22 13:33:36 (permalink)
    Since you ask, I will tell you. I do not frequent bars very often but when I do, I certainly enjoy having the TV on. There are many bars that have music. Even in Knoxville, TN. These generally do not have TV's.

Most of the time when I travel, I have any libation in the comfort of my room, not a bar. The main reason is my own furnished drinks are much cheaper.

Incidentally, I have the TV on there also. Just a personal preference.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15180
    RE: TVs in bars? 2006/03/22 13:39:29 (permalink)
    My problem comes from the folks who block my view of the screen when I want to see what's going on after I happen to fall off the Bar Stool. Here my Scottie "DEMI" making it very hard to view the Polar Bears on Animal Planet... Sheesch, I can't get no respect, anywhere.

She is fine when she sits down and watches with us...but has no manners when she wants to view things "UP CLOSE". Luckily she is to young to hang out in most Bars...but that will change next year when she turns 'legal age' (in dog-years).

BTW With her not in attendance I prefer that the TV audio or background music be low enough that I can converse with folks at the Bar or my table without straining to hear or speak.

drsmoke02
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: TVs in bars? 2006/03/22 13:49:08 (permalink)
    Are you sure that's not Jeepguy,with the collar on?
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6626
    RE: TVs in bars? 2006/03/22 16:05:36 (permalink)
    In traditional Irish pubs they never have TVs for that exact reason, to promote conversation between patrons and the bartenders. My then-SO and I used to frequent one pub in South Boston where we soon knew all the bartender's names and would play darts with other patrons.

However, when I'm travelling alone and have time to kill in an airport I usually sit at the bar to grab something to eat and drink. Sometimes the person next to you talks to you and sometimes not. It's nice to have a TV to stare mindlessly at.

Mr. Mayor, we ALL respect you even if Demi doesn't! That sure is one cute doggie!!! She's wondering, "Wow. How do all those animals get into that black box???"
    -Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: TVs in bars? 2006/03/22 16:18:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

However, when I'm travelling alone and have time to kill in an airport I usually sit at the bar to grab something to eat and drink. Sometimes the person next to you talks to you and sometimes not. It's nice to have a TV to stare mindlessly at.

I agree. It's not like the volume is up and the TV is intruding on potential conversations...
    pcdiva
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 591
    RE: TVs in bars? 2006/03/22 17:44:50 (permalink)
    It depends on the bar. At a professed "Sports Bar" no TVs would kill the whole concept. At a microbrewery, I think the conversations about the various brews available would be interesting enough that no extra entertainment would be needed. I prefer a TV with no sound, but w/closed captioning so anyone who is really interested can follow along, and the noise doesn't bother the rest of us in just about all of the others. But then, my drinking days seem to be long over. My absolute favorite is NTN Trivia so I can play games and show up the silly college boys! (Thanks BW3 & Damons! so I can EAT and play. [now just have to find some Roadfood to join the NTN network and I'll be all set])

Better not put a TV in my favorite ice cream parlor, or I'd never leave
    dogmeat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: TVs in bars? 2006/03/22 19:54:36 (permalink)
    We play sports on the plasmas WITHOUT sound and hand picked music (depending on the time of day) over the stereo system. Only during major events do we play sound and about half of the time we use concert DVDs, very nice!

High Definition tours of Europe and art galleries are especially interesting while the insect world along the Amazon is probably too graphic for lunch.
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: TVs in bars? 2006/03/22 21:09:18 (permalink)
    If it's on it'd better be a damn good football game.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: TVs in bars? 2006/03/23 01:19:41 (permalink)
    If I am at a bar, it is usually a sports bar and I want to see a game. Don't necessarily want the sound on though.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: TVs in bars? 2006/03/23 01:35:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sonny Funzio

Question: Do you prefer television when you go to a bar/lounge? ... And how strongly do you feel about it?

No, I hate TV and resent it when I'm out and about.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3893
    RE: TVs in bars? 2006/03/23 12:12:20 (permalink)
    Music sets a mood when I'm at a bar-----TV is a distraction I usually try to get away from.
    kman160
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: TVs in bars? 2006/03/23 17:52:16 (permalink)
    no TV?
    even with the sound off watching old ballgames or even golf is the only way we do things up north
    we're touchhole deeo in the white stuff 6 mo. of the year
    can't spend the whole winter out in the weather so we hang out @ the ole watering hole
    sometimes we even pop in old tapes of Sturgis, Daytona, etc & dream of the wind on our knees
    all this while listening to Zeplin on the jukebox
    Tedbear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: TVs in bars? 2006/03/23 17:56:36 (permalink)
    Even though I rarely patronize bars at this stage of my life, I have to say that they don't really offend me if the volume is set to a very low level or if the sound is turned off.

What I find REALLY annoying is the tendency for medical offices to have TVs in the waiting area nowadays. Often, the TV is playing a tape or a DVD promoting some company's health-related product, and nobody is really paying attention to the very LOUD TV. Since most people are reading books or magazines, it really tends to intrude.

On several occasions, I have asked, "does anyone mind if I turn this thing off, or turn the sound down?". Invariably, people urge me to turn the damn thing off. More than likely, they were all thinking the same thing that I was, and were relieved that someone took action to quiet the annoying racket.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    RE: TVs in bars? 2006/03/23 18:04:55 (permalink)
    I have noticed that many places with a TV or multiple TV's have engaged the feature that allows you to read what the folks are say. The Tv's are mute. I sort of enjoy that.

I do that quite often myself particularly when I am reading and I want to stay apprised of whatever news is available. A nice drink, some good contemporary jazz, a good book, some snacks and sometimes a mild cigar on a rainy day sure does hit the spot.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxvile, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1