The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

TWO BBQ Giants Gone.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
TWO BBQ Giants Gone. Thu, 09/11/08 1:02 AM (permalink)
Dearfolk,
Upon arriving here tonight, I noted the passing of Harold Hembree, Jr. of Harold's BBQ in Atlanta. Of course he and Bobby Mueller of Texas (who also died on close to the same day) didn't ever get to swap trade secrets, but I hold them both in high esteem... even though their 'cue styles differ.
It is a little-known fact that Harold's BBQ was one of the first white-owned restaurants in Atlanta to integrate fully without being asked. Harold's mama (the lady who invented the cornbread recipe) suggested it about the time Carl E. Sanders became Governor in 1962. She said that African-American State Senator-Elect Leroy R.Johnson was good enough to eat in her restaurant if he was good enough to get elected. (Mr. Johnson, now retired, is alive and well and reportedly still eats at Harold's.)
The illness of Mr. Hembree may well account for the inconsistencies in food which several posters have commented on recently. Without his watchful eye present, and with his family often not present so as to help care for him, lapses have occurred. I say we tip our hat to Harold Hembree and give his famed BBQ establishment another chance before writing it off as a now-losing proposition. I think we all owe Mama Hembree (who has not terribly long been gone herself) that much.
Ruefully 'Cuelessly, Ort. Carlton in Lovely Athens, Georgia.

Frankman

• Total Posts: 300
    RE: TWO BBQ Giants Gone. Thu, 09/11/08 3:34 AM (permalink)
    Sorry to hear of the passing of the 2 bbq giants Even though I've never had the pleasure of dining at either restaurant. Am I understanding this thread correctly or was there no cornbread before 1962?

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: TWO BBQ Giants Gone. Thu, 09/11/08 4:43 PM (permalink)
      It is sad to hear of Harold's passing, I know there is a lot of history there.

I wonder the fate of the place.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
        RE: TWO BBQ Giants Gone. Mon, 09/15/08 11:18 PM (permalink)
        Dearfolk,
        Apparently Harold's (both locations) will remain open as before, just no Harold around to oversee things.
        The corn bread has been served since 1947. It's mighty good, too... I can attest.
        As soon as I can make the trip (folks, I've been SICK!), I'll eat there and report back to y'all.
        As If On 'Cue, It's-A-Slow-Recovery Ort. Carlton in Sneezing, Coughing Athens, Georgia.
        P. S. Thanks to Fontella Bass for that song reference. "Recovery" was the follow-up to her huge hit, "Rescue Me."

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com