Hot!Taco Bell's new breakfast menu!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 191
2014/03/29 08:32:06 (permalink)

Taco Bell's new breakfast menu!

A coworker brought some of it to the office on the morning they started: several Waffle Tacos and a few AM Crunchwraps, plus several packets syrup and Heinz "del sol" sauce (not sure if that's the national standard or just what they have at this CT location).

I tried a sausage AM Crunchwrap and it was honestly pretty good!  It's what you'd expect: breakfast foods in a crispy grilled tortilla, greasy, cheesy, salty, savory, with the tortilla, hot sauce, hash brown, and form factor making the distinction from other more traditional fare.  And the distinction is worth it!  TB's food scientists did a lot of work to make sure all this stuff tasted good together and they succeeded.  The AM Crunchwrap gets a recommendation from me.  Haven't tried the bacon or steak varieties but if the sausage passed muster then I imagine they would too.

I didn't try the Waffle Taco because the sausage AM Crunchwrap took care of nearly half my day's calories and I wanted to save room for dinner later.  But the next morning I went on my own to the one near my apartment and tried the steak version of the Breakfast Burrito.  It gets ignored in most of the coverage I've seen, but I grew up liking McDonald's breakfast burritos and wanted to compare.  Taco Bell's version blows McD's version away, in size, flavor, and the amount of meat.  McD's is mostly eggs with a little bit of sausage and the barest sprinkling of peppers and onions, but TB's had plenty of steak.  For some reason this location didn't have the "del sol" sauce that my coworker had brought the day before (maybe it's drive-thru only? dunno), but the standard sauces worked perfectly well.  I still like McD's version for what it is, and I will get it when I specifically desire it - in fact I'm a bit afraid that they'll change their breakfast burrito recipe (which has been the same since its introduction in 1991 or thereabouts) in response to TB's new products, but objectively TB's is the superior version.

I hadn't intended to get anything more there that morning, but I casually inquired with the counter girl if it was just breakfast they were serving.... and it turned out their full menu was available.  That's right.  Everything.  I couldn't believe it.  So I followed up my Breakfast Burrito with a Chili Cheese Burrito (which they still have!!) and a couple of Crunchy Tacos and decided I wasn't eating anything else the rest of the day.  I'd never ordered lunch/dinner items at a fast food place for breakfast before; I understand that certain places like Whataburger or Jack in the Box do this in certain regions, but those don't exist here in CT, and regardless, only Taco Bell is Taco Bell.

Taco Bell wants this new menu to be a McDonald's killer, and in a recent Q&A on Reddit, their president said there are more breakfast items on the way.  Based on what I've seen, they could indeed be a serious challenge.  I don't think anything's going to replace the Egg McMuffin, the Sausage Biscuit, or the Steak, Egg & Cheese Bagel, but I see TB pulling away a good chunk of McD's patrons first out of curiosity and then permanently since the stuff is actually good.  Certainly the younger ages that are TB's core demographic will be interested; I've always respected TB for being the only nationwide fast food chain to maintain a certain "hipness" that has eluded even the other Yum! Brands (Pizza Hut and KFC), and build a whole reputation on stoner/drunk foods and shameless gluttony.  Their Doritos Locos Tacos have been bestsellers.  They come out with whatever, whenever, but it never seems desperate in the way that, say, some of Burger King's stuff has been.  

Anyway, it's Saturday morning and I suggest making a run for the border and trying the new breakfast stuff!
post edited by Ketteract - 2014/03/29 08:48:12

45 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/03/30 05:15:28 (permalink)
    Ketteract
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 191
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/03/30 07:16:42 (permalink)
    Adjudicator

Whataburger Taquitos:
    https://sp2.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608019441943249294&pid=15.1

Chic-fil-a Breakfast Burrito:
    http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Menu-Detail/Sausage-Breakfast-Burrito

Again, CT doesn't have either of those. :(  But when I'm visiting friends and family in Iowa, I try to get over to Chick-fil-A for that Chicken, Egg & Cheese Bagel they have. It is delicious.
    jman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1336
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/03/30 11:17:46 (permalink)
    Adjudicator

Whataburger Taquitos:

Your post is a good example of why so many threads here run off the rail. The Op went to a lot of time and trouble to make a comprehensive post about Taco Bell's entry into the ff breakfast market. Instead of commenting on the subject, you chose to link to other ff joints' breakfast items. Why is that? Now, we've got a thread that will morph into a general breakfast ff thread while the OP's obvious purpose was to start a thread that specifically addresses Taco Bell's menu. Do you think there's not enough threads that cover these links you included?

I went to the local TB yesterday, to try the Crunch Wrap and the Egg/Sausage Burrito, both of which my wife and I shared. I found them to be very good and an excellent alternative to my normal choice of a McD's Sausage MCMuffin w/Egg. Both had a generous amount of fillings and seemed to be freshly made. McD's offering of Breakfast Burrito's has always been pretty lousy, so TB will probably get the bulk of my breakfast business over McD's.
    Wistah
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 213
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/03/30 12:15:49 (permalink)
    I went to our local TB on Thursday the 27th, first day of the new menu.  I only tried one item, the bacon and egg burrito.  I thought it was good, much better tortilla or wrap than McD's uses. The bacon was a weak point, some type of crumbled bacon product. But overall tasty.  Hash browns were tasty.  I do want to try the steak burrito based on the OP's description.

One thing that puzzles me, my understanding is that TB's do not have grills any more, all of their beef, etc is "boil in a bag".  I wonder how they cook the eggs, unless they microwave liquid eggs.

The coffee was kind of a downer - the coffee itself may have been good but they use a bottles Coffee Mate type creamer that imparted a sugary taste. I never take sugar in coffee so it was kind of off-putting.

Cinabon bites were quite addictive.

I will return.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 652
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/03/31 09:14:21 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting Ketteract.

I will probably try the AM Crunchwrap based on your description.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18362
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/03/31 11:28:37 (permalink)
    I'd planned to go to Taco Bell this morning, but my car automatically took me to the Waffle House. Maybe tomorrow.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1971
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/03/31 12:00:33 (permalink)
    It looks good on the TV ads, and the team that thought up using "Ronald McDonalds" to promote TB deserves an award. My local TB/KFC is a little out of my way, especially during breakfast hours, but I had planned on getting there. Thanks to the reviews in this thread, it will be sooner rather than later.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2916
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/03/31 12:08:30 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

I'd planned to go to Taco Bell this morning, but my car automatically took me to the Waffle House. Maybe tomorrow.

Perhaps a chauffer might help the situation...

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/03/31 12:12:29 (permalink)
    I have one. His name is Ronald McDonald.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/03/31 12:57:34 (permalink)
    Marketing Brilliance!!!
    tmiles
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/03/31 16:40:57 (permalink)
    Wistah 
    One thing that puzzles me, my understanding is that TB's do not have grills any more, all of their beef, etc is "boil in a bag".  I wonder how they cook the eggs, unless they microwave liquid eggs. .....

I thought that the had a grill press??? Maybe the use pre made eggs like Dunkin Donuts??

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/03/31 19:29:04 (permalink)
    jman

Adjudicator

Whataburger Taquitos:

Your post is a good example of why so many threads here run off the rail. The Op went to a lot of time and trouble to make a comprehensive post about Taco Bell's entry into the ff breakfast market. Instead of commenting on the subject, you chose to link to other ff joints' breakfast items. Why is that? Now, we've got a thread that will morph into a general breakfast ff thread while the OP's obvious purpose was to start a thread that specifically addresses Taco Bell's menu. Do you think there's not enough threads that cover these links you included?

I went to the local TB yesterday, to try the Crunch Wrap and the Egg/Sausage Burrito, both of which my wife and I shared. I found them to be very good and an excellent alternative to my normal choice of a McD's Sausage MCMuffin w/Egg. Both had a generous amount of fillings and seemed to be freshly made. McD's offering of Breakfast Burrito's has always been pretty lousy, so TB will probably get the bulk of my breakfast business over McD's.

And you morphed out into a discussion about Micky Dee's.  Well done my comrade.  Well done.
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1336
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/03/31 19:38:11 (permalink)
    Adjudicator

jman

Adjudicator

Whataburger Taquitos:

And you morphed out into a discussion about Micky Dee's.  Well done my comrade.  Well done.

I think you're confused. I simply compared the TB offering with what I normally get at McD's. I don't think that was morphing out at all.  The OP referenced McD's in his post, so I was offering my opinion along the same lines he was discussing. In your post, you made no reference to the substance of the OP's post. All you did was post two links for products at other FF joints.
    post edited by jman - 2014/04/01 09:16:57
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/04/01 14:56:59 (permalink)
    It's not Taco Bell, but --

White Castle is adding Belgian waffle sandwiches to it's breakfast lineup.
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2014/04/01/white-castle-waffle-sandwiches.html
    love2bake
    • Total Posts : 1373
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/04/02 11:10:36 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5030
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/04/02 12:16:18 (permalink)
    Ketteract

Certainly the younger ages that are TB's core demographic will be interested; I've always respected TB for being the only nationwide fast food chain to maintain a certain "hipness" that has eluded even the other Yum! Brands (Pizza Hut and KFC), and build a whole reputation on stoner/drunk foods and shameless gluttony.
    TB must be anticipating that much of the sales to the core demographic will be at the end of a long night, as that group isn't exactly known for its "rise 'n' shine" attitude.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/04/03 19:28:46 (permalink)
    OK.  For the sake of argument I tried the #amcrunchwrapbacon today.  My opinion:

Egg (product) is ifish.
    Bacon OK, but not enough and not crispy.
    Taters are OK.
    Wrapping aka 'crunchwrap' an epic failure. (Too hard and brittle).
    I used some Whataburger green salsa to make it edible.
    OVERALL = 2.75
    Would I purchase again = NO.

HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1069
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/04/04 10:27:17 (permalink)
    Well the photos look good.Haven't been to Taco Bell in years.I might have to break down and try it;though if I want breakfast tacos I usually go to El Jalisco  near where I work and get breakfast tacos.
    VuduHippy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/04/05 13:47:55 (permalink)
    To those curious on Taco Bell eggs, I am a manager for Taco Bell, and the eggs are cooked, in store, and are not pre-made nor are they microwaved. There are absolutely NO microwaves in any Taco Bell restaurants.

Also, the Breakfast Salsa Del Sol sauce should be available at all locations serving breakfast. For now, it's by request, so you have to ask for it. It is not out in the dining room with other sauces.
    tmiles
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/04/05 15:45:31 (permalink)
    HollyDolly

Well the photos look good.Haven't been to Taco Bell in years.I might have to break down and try it;though if I want breakfast tacos I usually go to El Jalisco  near where I work and get breakfast tacos.

I have not been there yet but I would be very, very surprised if any of the new stuff looks like the pictures. What fast food does?
    UPDATE..I went there today, and the stuff that I had, a Sausage Crunch Wrap @2.89 and an AM Sausage Taco, did, in fact , look like the pictures.
    I was the only one in the store at  8am on a Sunday, and so saw my food being prepared as I waited.  The grill press puts a nice crunch on the food, but it went downhill from there. The "crunch" stuff in the Crunch Wrap (crispy hash browns???) is not very good, and the sausage was well past it's prime. The shredded cheese was not melted......all in all a 4 out of 10. Those roller grill breakfast items at a gas station compare favorably, and that is not much of an endorsement for either.  The $1 AM Sausage Taco, was in contrast, perfect.......crunchy outside of a tender crust, plus a wonderful filling scooped up from the prep station. (fast prep food doesn't need to be crappy) Far superior to the $1 McD breakfast burrito. 

This visit was part of a Home Depot run, and I had to pass 2 McDs on the way home. Each had almost full lots. TB has, IMO, a hard game ahead to move breakfast market share.

My local TB is a combo with KFC, which seems to be what all of their new stores are. The old KFC building is now "Major League Roast Beef" a really good sandwich store that I have posted about in the past. Both are near Ronnies, the world class clam shack in Auburn, Mass  (and they opened this weekend.......yippie)
    post edited by tmiles - 2014/04/06 10:03:13
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5030
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/04/07 11:09:32 (permalink)
    tmiles

It looks good on the TV ads, and the team that thought up using "Ronald McDonalds" to promote TB deserves an award.
    Just another bunch of clowns that like Taco Bell.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/04/07 11:52:07 (permalink)
    Stopped by on Saturday and tried three of the new offerings....
    Crunch Wrap - Sausage - grade C - was ok, nothing I would venture back for.  Somewhat dry and very doughy.
    Egg Burrito - Bacon - grade C- - again, nothing special, only 2 ingredients were egg and bacon.
    Egg Burrito - Steak - grade B - more flavor as the steak has a sauce with it which provided more flavor.
    All in all, McD is much better.  I love their burrito - the 2 smaller ones - for breakfast.  All the Ronald McDonald's in the world are not knocking the king from the throne! 

post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2014/04/07 14:53:50
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/04/07 13:16:18 (permalink)
    Went this morning and planned on taking pictures when I got to work, but got a call to run some errands and ate in the car.

I had the AM Crunch Wrap with sausage and it wasn't bad.  Not too busy at the Taco Bell, so it seems they were making everything to order (though they may always do that).  I'm a chump and based on the picture in the OP, I thought one end was going to be open.  It was a six or eight-sided pouch, and the hash brown, sausage, egg and cheese worked pretty well together.

I recently posted about a lunch item I cannot now recall, but do remember I didn't like the taste of the tortilla wrapping.  Either thay didn't use the same griddle for the Crunch Wrap, or they didn't use any spray/oil/butter, but I liked the taste of the Crunch Wrap wrapper.  $2.64 including tax.
    VuduHippy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/04/11 05:34:32 (permalink)
    eruby

Went this morning and planned on taking pictures when I got to work, but got a call to run some errands and ate in the car.

I had the AM Crunch Wrap with sausage and it wasn't bad.  Not too busy at the Taco Bell, so it seems they were making everything to order (though they may always do that).  I'm a chump and based on the picture in the OP, I thought one end was going to be open.  It was a six or eight-sided pouch, and the hash brown, sausage, egg and cheese worked pretty well together.

I recently posted about a lunch item I cannot now recall, but do remember I didn't like the taste of the tortilla wrapping.  Either thay didn't use the same griddle for the Crunch Wrap, or they didn't use any spray/oil/butter, but I liked the taste of the Crunch Wrap wrapper.  $2.64 including tax.

All Taco Bell menu items are always prepared to order. There is NOTHING pre-made except dessert items.

The AM Crunchwrap is made in the same exact way as the regular Crunchwrap Supreme...same flour tortilla, same fold and grilling procedure. There are no oils/sprays/butter on any grills for anything. The one differenence is the regular Crunchwrap Supreme is larger, using a 12" diameter tortilla and the AM Crunchwrap uses a 10.25" diameter tortilla. The picture only shows it "open" to show the customer the inside ingredients.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/04/11 07:51:52 (permalink)
    VuduHippy

eruby

All Taco Bell menu items are always prepared to order. There is NOTHING pre-made except dessert items.

The AM Crunchwrap is made in the same exact way as the regular Crunchwrap Supreme...same flour tortilla, same fold and grilling procedure. There are no oils/sprays/butter on any grills for anything. The one differenence is the regular Crunchwrap Supreme is larger, using a 12" diameter tortilla and the AM Crunchwrap uses a 10.25" diameter tortilla. The picture only shows it "open" to show the customer the inside ingredients.
    I wasn't trying to disparage Taco Bell. 

And while I'm not saying what you say is false, there was definite taste difference (to me anyway) between the AM and regular crunchwrap.  Maybe the 12" tortilla tastes different than the 10.25" tortilla. 

post edited by eruby - 2014/04/11 07:53:25
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3477
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/04/11 12:03:13 (permalink)
    Or maybe it's because in the morning the grill is fresh, whereas later in the day it's been used for a variety of things.
    senor boogie woogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/05/04 04:58:41 (permalink)
    Who in the hell goes to Taco Bell for breakfast?
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/05/04 08:14:58 (permalink)
    Apparently lots of folks, but I just can't bring my self to try their breakfast menu.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3477
    Re:Taco Bell's new breakfast menu! 2014/05/04 11:48:23 (permalink)
    What's funny is that is exactly what people said when McDonald's started serving breakfast.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1