Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Taco Idiocy

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 75
Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 11:12 AM (permalink)
Sprightly Garnishes? Soulful Surroundings? Who's writing these poll questions? A taco is a taco, and if I ever find one that has sprightly garnishes or is served in soulful surroundings I'll report the place to health officials -- mental health officials.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3667
    Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 12:18 PM (permalink)
    Soulful surroundings  must mean Taco Bells

MiamiDon

Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 12:42 PM (permalink)
      Isn't it Bruce Bilmes who comes up with the polls?  I guess he was in a, uh, good mood when he wrote that one.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
        Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 12:51 PM (permalink)
        How about "any taco made not by someone with dirty hands or not wearing gloves". Too many taco places using kids(and adults) who don't use latex gloves...and handle all that food you eat moments later...It's gross!!!

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
          Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 1:07 PM (permalink)
          I must respectfully disagree with the above. Have any of the previous posters eaten at an authentic taco cart in a large city in the southwest or even a city with a large mexican population? The servers who use fresh tortillas, the fortune of eating at an ethnic place where people serve the real deal and not some Americanized glop with lots of cheddar is a wonderful dining experience and soulful is not an inaccurate description. And I might add that Mexico has 53 states and a federal district and assuming that a cuisine is the same in all those states is like assuming that there are minimal differences in the foods served in California and Maine here in the United States
          <message edited by mr chips on Sat, 07/24/10 1:19 PM>

Michael Stern

Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 2:06 PM (permalink)
            How about a round of decaf?

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4467
              Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 2:22 PM (permalink)
              I was just going to get some popcorn and a comfy chair

MiamiDon

Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 2:33 PM (permalink)
                leethebard

How about "any taco made not by someone with dirty hands or not wearing gloves". Too many taco places using kids(and adults) who don't use latex gloves...and handle all that food you eat moments later...It's gross!!!

I've viewed footage taken at some of the top restaurants in the world with nobody wearing gloves in the kitchen. 

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                  Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 3:34 PM (permalink)
                  Best tacos I have ever had were from street vendors in Mexico. Gloves...We Don't Need No Stinking Gloves...Russ

saps

• Total Posts: 1553
                    Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 3:50 PM (permalink)
                    Where I work, there are a ton of mom and pop Mexican places in the area.  I've never noticed any difference between glove wearing at Mexican restaurants as opposed to other restaurants.  There are plenty of hot dog stands, burger joints, etc. where gloves aren't worn. 

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
                      Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 4:20 PM (permalink)
                      I watched a guy cooking yesterday. He pulled on a pair of gloves after having put a burger patty on the grill and grabbing a bun for the burger. Then he proceeded to go back into the kitchen to bring out a couple of containers to refill the tomato, lettuce, onion and pickle tubs. After opening each container, still wearing the gloves, he picked stuff out with his hands and put the stuff where it belonged. He then closed up the containers and carried them back into the kitchen. Then he came back out, grabbed a couple of order slips, then picked up food for his grill and for the deep fryers.

Frankly, I'd prefer bare hands, and wash 'em.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                        Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 4:29 PM (permalink)
                        There is a wonderful place here in Portland called Nuestra Cocina run by a chef from Mexico. its best feature is a woman who sits at a grill in the kitchen and hand forms the tortillas used by the restaurant. The care and craft she uses are obvious to anyone viewing her at work. One of the delights of the place are the steaming baskets of tortillas(not chips) that are served with salsa that serves as a before meal appetizer and it is a real pleasure to see the process of making tortillas from start to finish.

leethebard

Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 4:34 PM (permalink)
                          I too have eaten in "Real" taco places in Phoenix and old San Diego many times...no gloves....caring workers OK...I'm talking about the fast food joints around here...not well run restaurants and taco trucks...As a retired teacher , I've heard the stories from students who worked at two Taco Bell locations locally...and it was enough to turn my stomach...I realize such horrors can happen at any place, but building a taco requires your hands...and some of these kids....oh well...it was a point....but yes I have eaten at "authentic" taco carts,,,and bought tortillas made by hand from wonderful cooks...no problem....

leethebard

Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 4:40 PM (permalink)
                            mr chips

There is a wonderful place here in Portland called Nuestra Cocina run by a chef from Mexico. its best feature is a woman who sits at a grill in the kitchen and hand forms the tortillas used by the restaurant. The care and craft she uses are obvious to anyone viewing her at work. One of the delights of the place are the steaming baskets of tortillas(not chips) that are served with salsa that serves as a before meal appetizer and it is a real pleasure to see the process of making tortillas from start to finish.

Oh yes, what a great taste experience...my sister has lived in several places in the south west...and in both Yuma and San Diego..I've learned to love home made tortilla shells served many ways..including dipping in superior home made salsa...Every trip, I bring home dozens to enjoy!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
                              Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 5:23 PM (permalink)
                              There seems to be a lot of obsession in the Roadfood.com forums on cleanliness this week. Here I am drinking homemade chicha out of a passed around shared gourd refilled by the lady dipping out of an open bucket in a dirt floor chicha bar in a remote Bolivian Andean village. I guess i didn't know any better.

:::hopefully heat and alcohol kills all germs:::

leethebard

Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 5:25 PM (permalink)
                                Probably much cleaner than our local Taco Bell....sounds like an experience!!!!

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                                  Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 6:36 PM (permalink)
                                  Dave-----------didn't know it was you---had to go looking to see who had the fingers of an artist , a musician, an architect per chance. 

I wasn't surprised to see your name------I would have been if it were------let's see ----well I can't think of anyone at the moment---but maybe in the middle of the night.

Davydd

Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 6:43 PM (permalink)
                                    An architect. I could have been a hand model in my day as I have nearly perfect finger nails, but now sport the liver spots. My hands are not all that big. I cannot palm a basketball. I inherited my hands from my mother, but you ought to see my toes. The second toe is so long it has long ago knurled itself into a contorted shape.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
                                      Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 6:51 PM (permalink)
                                      There seems to be a lot of obsession in the Roadfood.com forums on cleanliness this week. Davydd
                                      I agree.
                                      Haven't hade this much fun on a topic since the Plague-----
                                      Boccaccio said that the victims, "ate lunch with their friend and dinner with their ancestors in paradise."

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                        Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 6:56 PM (permalink)
                                        Dave, is that girl single? Oh, I'm not. Anyway she is cute!

Tacos, all the possibilities are mind boggling!
                                        Joe

Spelling??? I can't do it! I can grill steaks for 50 people and get each of their rare/med rare/med/med well, requests done right. I however will not go beyond med well. And even then it hurts my soul!
                                        Joe

Edit; misspellings :~(
                                        <message edited by PapaJoe8 on Wed, 07/28/10 2:17 PM>

Davydd

Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 8:06 PM (permalink)
                                          That girl was one of our Bolivian tour guides. We chartered a private tour to the Incallajta Ruins in the Andes Mountains, a place few Americans have ever gone, Chimboata, a Colonial Spanish abandoned village, and Pocona, another small Spanish colonial village where we met with the locals at this chicha bar and also I got to tour her backyard brew works where the chicha was brewed. Chicha is kind of like a maize beer.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                            Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 8:49 PM (permalink)
                                            If the choice had been "all of the above",
                                            The answer would be a superior dining experience.
                                            Except in Ohio, I guess. :)

Ralph Melton

Re:Taco Idiocy Sat, 07/24/10 11:34 PM (permalink)
                                              I'm very pleased to learn about chicha. I've known for years that one of the great human traditions is to ferment anything that won't crawl out of a pot, but the big hole in my understanding of that principle was that I didn't know of a maize beer.

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
                                                Re:Taco Idiocy Sun, 07/25/10 1:03 AM (permalink)
                                                Ralph Melton

I'm very pleased to learn about chicha. I've known for years that one of the great human traditions is to ferment anything that won't crawl out of a pot, but the big hole in my understanding of that principle was that I didn't know of a maize beer.

Actually, without knowing it, you probably have had something to drink which was made from a "maize beer".  Many hard liquors are distilled from fermented corn, in other words, a maize beer.  Corn is ideal for making the neutral spirits used to make vodka as well as gin and other flavored liquors, since it imparts almost no flavor of its own to the resulting alcohol.  (Years ago I worked in the Lab for a while at Hiram Walker & Sons here in Peoria (at that time) and we had to test samples daily from the fermentation tanks.)

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
                                                  Re:Taco Idiocy Sun, 07/25/10 1:18 AM (permalink)
                                                  6star

Ralph Melton

Actually, without knowing it, you probably have had something to drink which was made from a "maize beer".  Many hard liquors are distilled from fermented corn, in other words, a maize beer.  Corn is ideal for making the neutral spirits used to make vodka as well as gin and other flavored liquors, since it imparts almost no flavor of its own to the resulting alcohol.  (Years ago I worked in the Lab for a while at Hiram Walker & Sons here in Peoria (at that time) and we had to test samples daily from the fermentation tanks.)

Where I come from it's called "Shine"!

Davydd

Re:Taco Idiocy Sun, 07/25/10 10:29 AM (permalink)
                                                    Chicha is brewed like beer and not distilled. It lacked hops and lacked the carbonation since it was not bottled or put in kegs. It was not all that great a brew but is what a remote Inca Andean village was capable of. It was ladle dipped from an open bucket and poured into a glass or in this case a communal gourd that was passed around. Before drinking you spilled a bit on the dirt floor for Pachamama (Mother Earth Goddess). There was quite a bit of spilling from some in our group that didn't care for the taste. We had chicha at other times in a humble farm house and a well to do lawyers house with marble floors. We still spilled in honor to Pachamama.

Ralph Melton

Re:Taco Idiocy Sun, 07/25/10 10:43 AM (permalink)
                                                      6star

I've certainly had distilled maize spirits; the one that comes to mind first is bourbon. But I didn't know of an undistilled maize beer. My pet theory is that maize beer didn't catch on with European settlers of America because they already had distillation technology, so they went straight to whiskey with their corn.

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                                                        • Location: st petersburg, florida
                                                        Re:Taco Idiocy Sun, 07/25/10 1:49 PM (permalink)
                                                        Someone please wake up Joe Rogo, he settled into a comfy chair with his popcorn
                                                        days ago, to listen to the arguments on both sides and quickly started to snore. 

Don't know if it was the subject----the dull repartee---
                                                        or just that Joe is getting old waiting for JoPa to retire so that Penn St can redeem itself. 

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                                          • Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                          Re:Taco Idiocy Sun, 07/25/10 7:45 PM (permalink)
                                                          Shoot, now I'm hungry for some popcorn! Or... tacos. Hmmm ???

Hey, I think I'll sprinkle my popcorn w/ some taco seasoning. :~)))
                                                          Joe

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4467
                                                            • Location: Pittston, PA
                                                            Re:Taco Idiocy Sun, 07/25/10 8:50 PM (permalink)
                                                            Yeah yeah yeah, I thought it had the makings of a good one  and JoePa has another five good years left in him.

JoePapa, I was poppin up some bay corn

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 75

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com