Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Taco-flavored Doritos

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 79
divefl

• Total Posts: 1671
RE: Taco-flavored Doritos Thu, 08/30/07 9:56 PM (permalink)
Reno let me give you my address. I kind of liked the weird ranch, too.

Eatallday

• Total Posts: 76
    RE: Taco-flavored Doritos Thu, 09/6/07 1:58 AM (permalink)
    in France they got a flavor called sweet barbecue....definately my favorite Dorito ever. I should have brought 50 bags back home. they also got plain doritoes over there. But yea, the barbecue ones are awesome, i love eating a dorito with NO taste of cheese in it.

pdmiller

• Total Posts: 3
      RE: Taco-flavored Doritos Mon, 06/23/08 1:44 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by kisscat69

quote:
      Originally posted by tamandmik

Count me in as well. I was about 7 or 8 at the time, my dad used to buy those at the liquor store down the street just for me, along with Wise BBQ chips (still around). They are right up there in the pantheon of long lost snacks. Another candidate would be Charles Chips, which once had a bacon flavored potato chip that was out of this world.
      Gibbles had a bacon flavored chip too but they're gone as well, DRAT

I grew up in England where they have all kinds of strange flavoured chips (or crisps as they're called there.) Smoky Bacon was one of my favourites, as well as Roast Chicken believe it or not. Anyway, not far from where I live is a British grocery store, and they carry them, so I can have my fix whenever I want. Here is a link to the stores site, where you can buy some if you want to try...

http://www.tasteofbritain.com/

under the snacks section.

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
        RE: Taco-flavored Doritos Mon, 06/23/08 7:52 PM (permalink)
        All doritos taste pretty much the same regardless of the "flavor" they claim to be.

Momcat25

• Total Posts: 9
          RE: Taco-flavored Doritos Fri, 08/29/08 10:33 PM (permalink)
          Well, after waiting almost 25 years to taste Dorito Taco chips again, I finally got my chance. When I last contacted Frito Lay, they told me the Taco chips were now just sold in the midwest. So, a couple of weeks ago my son had to go to an automotive training school in Appleton, WI. I asked him to look around for them in the grocery store (you can see, they are never out of my mind). Well, he found them and bought me home 2 bags. I couldn't wait ! Boy, was I disappointed! They say you can never go home again, and I guess it's the same with finally eating something that you haven't eaten in years, but they just aren't the same as I remember them. They seem kind of bland. They were never spicy hot, but they had a nice powdery taco seasoning on them that was good. They must have changed the recipe or something, or maybe my tastebuds have dulled over the past 25 years, because they are not the same as I remember.

XanaJew

• Total Posts: 42
            RE: Taco-flavored Doritos Sun, 09/14/08 6:32 PM (permalink)
            On Friday at my local Wal-Mart, I came across the Taco flavored Doritos. It was in a special packaging and being touted as a "Back by popular demand" flavor! They also had the Four Cheese flavor. I was kinda leary to buy the Taco flavor after reading the previous posts and how the flavor (or others' personal taste buds) might've changed since its original release. I'm hoping to come across a small bag to try them or hear from others on here. Anyone else come across them yet?

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
              RE: Taco-flavored Doritos Sun, 09/14/08 6:34 PM (permalink)
              Serve them with either of these two quality beverages...Russ

When they originally came they seemed to have more powder on them. And some of them had a lot of flavoring on them. The new ones are lightly seasond and as always not as good as the original.

XanaJew

• Total Posts: 42
                RE: Taco-flavored Doritos Sun, 09/14/08 6:42 PM (permalink)
                Hmmm, thanks for the quick feedback. Maybe, I'll pass then

4NICK8ER

• Total Posts: 1
                  RE: Taco-flavored Doritos Fri, 01/30/09 11:51 AM (permalink)
                  when I was a kid in the 70's, phila suburbs, theses were my hands down fav.
                  - finally found them in ohio last year. I agree - simalar, but not the same. they now
                  contain cheese, which they did not before (I think) and I beleive this os the major flavor difference.

- man I used to love those chips !!

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                    RE: Taco-flavored Doritos Mon, 02/2/09 4:26 PM (permalink)
                    4NICK8ER

when I was a kid in the 70's, phila suburbs, theses were my hands down fav.
                    - finally found them in ohio last year. I agree - simalar, but not the same. they now
                    contain cheese, which they did not before (I think) and I beleive this os the major flavor difference.

- man I used to love those chips !!

Nice name.........

We've got them here and I agree they just about all taste the same. The kid's like taco salads made with them.

porkchopexpress

• Total Posts: 798
                      RE: Taco-flavored Doritos Wed, 02/4/09 8:20 AM (permalink)
                      I use to love the Taco Doritos but haven't seen them in a while

dasl_4

• Total Posts: 187
                        Re:Taco-flavored Doritos Tue, 12/28/10 4:54 AM (permalink)
                        ooooops .. I posted in wrong thread
                        ´╗┐Taco flavored Doritos in retro packaging showed up at Publix in Forida
                        Dec. 27 2010
                        I didn't have a camera with me ... will try and get one today

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1930
                          RE: Taco-flavored Doritos Tue, 12/28/10 7:44 AM (permalink)
                          PapaJoe8

At least we still have Chili Cheese Fritoes!
                          Joe

Chili Cheese Fritos rock! 

MellowRoast

RE: Taco-flavored Doritos Tue, 12/28/10 7:54 AM (permalink)
                            This is on the market now.  Will it work?

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                              RE: Taco-flavored Doritos Tue, 12/28/10 10:57 AM (permalink)
                              No-not in my opinion,Mellow. I have tried them( and every other taco Dorito they keep coming up with)and they are just not the same as the beloved ones from the 70s.

MellowRoast

RE: Taco-flavored Doritos Tue, 12/28/10 12:05 PM (permalink)
                                Wow.  Well, shucks.

ann peeples

RE: Taco-flavored Doritos Tue, 12/28/10 12:13 PM (permalink)
                                  Not to say you you shouldnt try them! Just not at all the same to me...

dasl_4

• Total Posts: 187
                                    Re:Taco-flavored Doritos Wed, 12/29/10 3:10 PM (permalink)

MellowRoast

Re:Taco-flavored Doritos Wed, 12/29/10 4:24 PM (permalink)
                                      dasl_4:  Thanks for the picture.  Hope I can find them locally, so I can see what everyone's raving about. 
                                      <message edited by MellowRoast on Wed, 12/29/10 4:27 PM>

ann peeples

Re:Taco-flavored Doritos Wed, 12/29/10 5:39 PM (permalink)
                                        Now thts more like it, dasl_4! I will be looking for those!

Chilegod

Re:Taco-flavored Doritos Fri, 01/7/11 8:54 PM (permalink)
                                          Hi
                                          The topic of Taco Flavor Doritos has fascinated me on an off for the last two years.
                                          I liked the Tacos at Midnight but as many have found they are not exactly like the way we remember the "originals".
                                          I am in central coast California.
                                          The closest I have found to the Taco flavor seasoning are sometimes sold in health food stores as a bulk item or sometimes in a health food store called "Pico De Gayo' flavor.
                                          I have found that regionally, there are specific Doritos products that are not equally available to everyone.
                                          I found two bags for $3.99 of the Limited Edition Taco flavor in a similar "Classic" bag design at 7/11. Only one in the area that I have seen.
                                          The Limited Edition as pictured in an above post seem like heavy sour cream cheese sort of flavor. There is a very slight, or subtle chili powder flavor.
                                          They aren't bad but I couldn't eat many of them until I would have to stop.

Chilegod

Re:Taco-flavored Doritos Fri, 01/7/11 9:03 PM (permalink)
                                            I also wanted to mention that I remember the corn chips were different in the originals. I remember the Taco flavor and the non flavored, "Plain" chips, both were quite yellow and harder, sharper and with larger bubbles than todays Doritos.
                                            I think we get a lot more variety today, and perhaps sacrifice some food quality.

Chilegod

Re:Taco-flavored Doritos Fri, 01/7/11 9:09 PM (permalink)
                                              I have an image of the original bag but am not allowed to embed a link for a month.
                                              Maybe the Admin would wave the restriction.

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
                                                Re:Taco-flavored Doritos Fri, 01/7/11 11:31 PM (permalink)
                                                That limited bag brought back memories. My mom took a shine to those around '70 that turned me on to them. I do remember the plain and taco flavor of the time as well. What nobody has mentioned unless it was a regional thing, was they actually introduced an improved version of the taco flavor (`73-`74 ?) that was promoted to have even more seasoning. These were variable. Sometimes they were so heavily seasoned they appeared a dark orange-brown color, other times they didn't appear to be anymore seasoned then the originally introduced. Your fingers would turn orange from the coating building up on your fingers when they were really heavily seasoned.

ann peeples

• Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                  Re:Taco-flavored Doritos Sat, 01/8/11 3:47 AM (permalink)
                                                  I remember those, Dawn, and sure wish they would be made again.I loved those, and you are right-every batch was different.

MellowRoast

Re:Taco-flavored Doritos Sat, 01/15/11 10:36 PM (permalink)
                                                    Well, I located them at Wal-Mart tonight, grabbed a bag for $2.50, and am eager to try them for the first time.  I may just use them to scoop up my Cheddar-Jack pimento cheese.  Interestingly, they were right next to a Pepsi Throwback display, so I grabbed a case of those, too.
                                                    <message edited by MellowRoast on Sat, 01/15/11 10:38 PM>

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                                      Re:Taco-flavored Doritos Sat, 01/15/11 11:49 PM (permalink)

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
                                                        Re:Taco-flavored Doritos Sun, 01/16/11 1:49 AM (permalink)
                                                        While the bag looks like the original did, the chips don't look like they have much seasoning on them.

While we're on the subject of the retro chips, wonder how many folks remember a great accessory that would go with several bags of these and a couple of those really cheap, store brand, onion and sour cream dips that used to sell for about 29 cents back then. They used to call them Mary Gins and some knockoffs were called Merry Gins. These were indespensible back then along with a plastic, cafeteria serving tray b4 working up an appetite for your chips and that freezer full of the cheap, 10" Totinio's frozen Pizza on Friday or Saturday nights while you were contemplating the molecular biology of the fibers in the shag rug on the floor with your friends. Need I mention the perfect pairing of Boone's Farm Apricot wine with the chips? 
                                                        Kirschner's Rock Concert or Midnight Special on late night TV with the Wolfman?

Just wanted to add a little historical context to the reason the chips were sold and how they used to be eaten as head food to those of you too young or too old to recall partaking this weekend sacrament and the transubstantiation that occured after eating them.

To those of you that do remember the 'gins. Did any of you ever see or own any miniature hamsters that fit inside of them?

I didn't think so.

<message edited by DawnT on Sun, 01/16/11 12:03 PM>

MellowRoast

Re:Taco-flavored Doritos Sun, 01/16/11 8:10 AM (permalink)
                                                          DawnT

While the bag looks like the original did, the chips don't look like they have much seasoning on them.

Bear in mind that's not a see-through bag, but rather a product picture on the bag, and what you're viewing here is a picture of a picture of a picture.    Looking forward to trying them, though.  I don't think I ever tried their taco chips from the '70s, so I won't have a flavor reference, but I certainly hope I enjoy them.

Don't remember Mary Gins, but I got my first thrill on Strawberry Hill. 

ann peeples

• Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                            Re:Taco-flavored Doritos Sun, 01/16/11 8:58 AM (permalink)
                                                            Come on, mellow, open them up!!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 79

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com