The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Tacos!!!!!!

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 69
Dude111

• Total Posts: 582
Tacos!!!!!! Thu, 10/18/07 1:13 AM (permalink)
I love Tacos like crazy!!!

But i have been getting sick of TACO BELL,they dont add enough meat,etc..... THEY ARE AWEFULL!!

Tonight i went to a mexican restuarant (Not fast food) and THE TACOS WERE 10000s BETTER THAN ANYTHING I HAVE EVER HAD @ TACO BELL! (They costed more though <<>> $2.99 a taco)

WHY DOESNT TACO BELL DO THIS GOOD A JOB??

Farmallcub

• Total Posts: 55
    RE: Tacos!!!!!! Thu, 10/18/07 2:59 AM (permalink)
    Taco Bell = Fast Food

waiterhell

• Total Posts: 88
      RE: Tacos!!!!!! Thu, 10/18/07 4:39 AM (permalink)
      And are you SURE that meat doesn't have whole buncha vegetable protein, etc., in it???

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
        RE: Tacos!!!!!! Thu, 10/18/07 6:26 AM (permalink)

Dude,

Look in your phone book for Mexican restaurants. In Miami, there must be quite a few. Pick one. No matter what place you pick, it will be much better than anything Taco Bell makes.
        Try a chili relleno. Taco Bell doesn't make them, but you'll never go back after eating one.

mark

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
          RE: Tacos!!!!!! Thu, 10/18/07 11:39 AM (permalink)
          Taco Bell may use a mix of soy and ground beef or all veggie,not sure.A mix of soy and beef would be cheaper for them.My local H.E.B. grocery store carries something called Skillet Mix,which is a seasoned mix of beef and soy,probably mainly soy.It sells for $1.38 for a one pound roll.I have used it before and it's not bad.
          Skillet Mix is a brand name.I know it is not made by nor carries the H.E.B. label.

You could go buy some ground beef,taco seasoning mix like McCormick's or Lawry's or Old El Paso,and some already made taco shells and make your own.
          We used to do that when I was a kid.Cook up the meat,drain the fat and add the seasonings and then
          make up enough tacos for the family.We also sometimes did chalupa night as well.
          I miss that .

I like the chili rellenos you get at Pancho's Mexican Buffet.They are puffy and tasting of egg,and the cheese inside the pepper is nicely melted.They are not greasy either.To make the puffy coating of egg takes a little bit of time since you have to beat the egg whites till fluffy,and then fold in the beaten mix of egg yolks,and flour and baking powder,then dip the peppers in it,etc.
          Some places just dip the pepper in egg then flour and then fry them.I prefer the Pancho's type,which is the real Mexican way to make chilis rellenos.

Not sure how many mexican places are in Miami.I would think there would be more cuban places around than mexican,though things may have changed over the years.

divefl

• Total Posts: 1671
            RE: Tacos!!!!!! Thu, 10/18/07 11:46 AM (permalink)
            Was this a serious question?

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
              RE: Tacos!!!!!! Thu, 10/18/07 1:47 PM (permalink)
              Unfortunately, yes. He's as serious as a heart attack.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                RE: Tacos!!!!!! Thu, 10/18/07 2:03 PM (permalink)
                Ahhh Holly, another Pancho's fan! I also like their Green Chile Stew. I get a plate of their rice and have them pile on the stew.

I have even fond one Pancho's location that has real good tacos. Many Pancho's are indavidually owned and the owner has allot of say as to how things are made.
                Joe

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
                  RE: Tacos!!!!!! Thu, 10/18/07 4:08 PM (permalink)
                  After reading through all this, I'm momentarily speechless and feel like crying. I admit I sometimes eat at Taco Bell but not because I think their food has anything to do with actual Mexican food. It's just that I used to like Franco American spaghetti too, but I never confused it with Italian food.

I don't know what's available in Miami in the way of an authentic tacqueria. I can tell you that an authentic Cuban sandwich is near impossible to come by in San Francisco. But maybe you'll get a chance on vacation to have a real taco--somewhere in the southwest or California. Then like me, you won't think of Taco Bell as selling "tacos" even if you still eat there.

Just for the record, THIS is a taco (al pastor):

[img]http://static.px.yelp.com/bphoto/4lwABbfLRz-gv0bON2Iy7Q/l[/img]

This is a pair of tacos (carnitas):

[img]http://static.px.yelp.com/bphoto/uSZQWHeiUwQq2yRyN_sZDA/l[/img]

Does this food (from two different Bay Area tacquerias--El Farolito and El Metate) resemble anything at Taco Bell to YOU?

divefl

RE: Tacos!!!!!! Thu, 10/18/07 4:11 PM (permalink)
                    It resembles heaven to me.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Tacos!!!!!! Fri, 10/19/07 2:52 AM (permalink)
                      Decent taco here runs around a buck and a quarter.

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1081/1241792230_59910fbb50.jpg?v=0[/img]

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                        RE: Tacos!!!!!! Fri, 10/19/07 12:41 PM (permalink)
                        Wow,are you making me hungery.Those tacos are beautiful,life is beautiful.(Sorry,guess I watched the movie Cabaret with Joel Grey and Liza Minelli one too many times)
                        What a far cry from Taco Bell.Too bad Dude111 you don't live in San Antonio,with it's many mexican places.
                        Heck,you could go to H.E.B.Grocvery Store and buy their already cooked pork carnitas,barbacoa,and even
                        their already cooked shredded roast beef and make your own tacos.I haven't tried the barbacoa yet,
                        but their carnitas to me was excellent.

Dude111

RE: Tacos!!!!!! Sat, 10/20/07 4:04 AM (permalink)
                          Yes this site has a way of doing that!

I went to[url='www.moes.com']moes[/url] again the other day and got 5 yummy tacos

I might go again On Saturday,they just hit the spot!!!

I dont even feel the need to put hot sauce on these they are so good

rainroosty

• Total Posts: 34
                            RE: Tacos!!!!!! Mon, 10/22/07 12:12 PM (permalink)
                            I love Taco Bell....I love all tacos.....with ground beef or steak, and chicken if it's a "soft taco". To me, all that other stuff like "fish tacos" is just a sin. In fact, I take back what I just said about the chicken in a taco - that's a sin, too.

divefl

RE: Tacos!!!!!! Mon, 10/22/07 12:44 PM (permalink)
                              I guess carnitas would anger you, as well. Get out of my site. Food can never be a sin, unless you rent the naughty movies.

rhoges6

• Total Posts: 5
                                RE: Tacos!!!!!! Mon, 10/22/07 1:27 PM (permalink)
                                I have only eaten at Taco Bell once in my life. The reason for that is because a few days later I went to a real Mexican restaurant: Cinco De Mayo in Willimantic, CT. Once I had the tacos there I realized that I would never be going back to Taco Bell in my life. Plus, their homemade chips and salsa were delicious too.

divefl

RE: Tacos!!!!!! Mon, 10/22/07 1:43 PM (permalink)

KOK

• Total Posts: 333
                                    RE: Tacos!!!!!! Mon, 10/22/07 2:08 PM (permalink)
                                    It seems Taco Bell is giving away a free taco to every one in the country if there's a stolen base in the World series. Previously read a taco for each stolen base

Kevin

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=456&sid=1274804

naxet76

• Total Posts: 351
                                      RE: Tacos!!!!!! Fri, 11/2/07 11:20 PM (permalink)
                                      I know a lot of people go out and buy the McCormicks seasoning to make beef tacos, but I prefer just frying up some onion and garlic till soft, then I add a pound of ground beef, salt and pepper and a touch of tomato sauce. I prefer the taste of beef more than the spices.
                                      My husband like extra crispy tacos so although they're a pain to make, i fry each corn tortilla in hot oil until they're super crispy. Then we add shredded cheese, avacado, lettuce, tomato, sour cream and hot sauce.
                                      i grew up eating my beef tacos soft because my mom hated all the time it took to make them crispy. My favorite tacos though are beef fajita with avacado and grilled onions with fresh made salsa mmmmmm

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
                                        RE: Tacos!!!!!! Sat, 11/3/07 4:07 PM (permalink)
                                        So many filling and so little time.
                                        No muss no fail tacos. Start with ground beef. Add to a hot skillet and as the the fat starts to come out add chopped onion to peference. Season liberally with chilli powder and a dash of cumin. As the meat is browned add water. Cook down until dry(it shouldn't need draining.)
                                        The most important part is the shells. Start wit fresh corn tortillas. Add a dash of LARD to a hot skillet place tortilla in pan and cook until it just crisps then turn and repeat. Remove and drain on paper towel. They should be barely crisp and still foldable. The taste and crunch of these will blow away any taco you ever had.
                                        britt

ROHfan

• Total Posts: 89
                                          RE: Tacos!!!!!! Wed, 11/7/07 11:56 AM (permalink)
                                          Here's my review of a fast food Mexican place on Long Island. It's call Island Grill and it's in West Babylon on Little East Neck Road. Enjoy!

"I am a food lover and as such have traveled miles for good food. Island Grill is right around the block from me and I go at least twice a week. It's a strange place...imagine a Chinese fast food place that serves Mexican fast food. The woks are replaced with BBQ grills and griddles. They make their own tortillas and everything is made fresh on premises. I'm addicted to their ground beef tacos. And at $1.29 each you can get full on just two. I know they're not authentic Mexican tacos but they're stuffed with meat and impossible to eat without wearing half of it. They serve everything that you'd find at a Taco Bell but with the difference being at Island Grill everything's AMAZING! I recommend the chimichangas and the Mexican pizza. For all the items they sell you can choose the filling of bourbon chicken, ground beef, chili, grilled steak (tender, flavorful flank steak grilled fresh) or veggies. Their rice is perfect as is their guacamole and refried beans. I HIGHLY recommend this place and I have yet to be let down by anything on their menu."

ROHfan

Dude111

RE: Tacos!!!!!! Sun, 11/11/07 4:56 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Hehehe

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                                              RE: Tacos!!!!!! Sun, 11/11/07 5:33 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by brittneal

So many filling and so little time.
                                              No muss no fail tacos. Start with ground beef. Add to a hot skillet and as the the fat starts to come out add chopped onion to peference. Season liberally with chilli powder and a dash of cumin. As the meat is browned add water. Cook down until dry(it shouldn't need draining.)
                                              The most important part is the shells. Start wit fresh corn tortillas. Add a dash of LARD to a hot skillet place tortilla in pan and cook until it just crisps then turn and repeat. Remove and drain on paper towel. They should be barely crisp and still foldable. The taste and crunch of these will blow away any taco you ever had.
                                              britt

I don't know about ground beef in your neck of the woods, but around here, it can be pretty darn greasy at times. (Not a problem with sirloin). But I always drain... I also add the very fine diced onions before I add the 'ground beef'... As the fat starts to separate from the beef, makes for a nice grease to sautee them onions while every things browning (onions will literally melt into the meat). Also, I go liberally with the cumin, vs. a dash.. But I do put a dash of chili powder in mine (well, maybe a couple dashes... But there's a higher cumin to chili powder ratio then you called for - or I should say opposite of your recipe).. That and I don't cook my meat until it's dry.. I leave about 20% liquid in the pan and then pull it off the heat.. (Meat will suck up all this liquid as it cools)... Adds much more flavor then browned and dry hamburger chunks going into your taco).
                                              I'm not challenging your recipe or anything, and it may also be a regional situation... But this is the way I do it up here in the North country... (Plus I never get complaints... Well, less then me complaining everyone chowed down before I had a chance to sample my own food)...

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                                RE: Tacos!!!!!! Sun, 11/11/07 7:47 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Dude111

I went to[url='www.moes.com']moes[/url] again the other day and got 5 yummy tacos

A Moe's just recently opened near me, Now I must try them out.
                                                Thanks Dude.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                                                  RE: Tacos!!!!!! Mon, 11/12/07 1:26 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by roossy90

quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Dude111

A Moe's just recently opened near me, Now I must try them out.
                                                  Thanks Dude.
                                                  Be sure to tell us what goofy name they call their taco combo...

matilda

• Total Posts: 667
                                                    RE: Tacos!!!!!! Mon, 11/12/07 1:51 PM (permalink)
                                                    We have a really cool, tiny, authentic taco stand called "Taco Burger." It's full name is "San Jose's Taco Burger Taqueria Mexicana," and it is out of this world. Great dogs and hamburgers, too, plus breakfast and cheap. Mmmm.

cameron074

• Total Posts: 135
                                                      • Location: Parsippany, NJ
                                                      RE: Tacos!!!!!! Mon, 11/12/07 3:22 PM (permalink)
                                                      Taco Bell, while tasting very very good IMO, is the bottom of the mexican food barrel. I was on business in CA a year or so ago and came across Del Taco. This place is what Taco Bell could have been, with better products and less lapdogs.

UncleVic

• Location: West Palm Beach, FL
                                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                                        RE: Tacos!!!!!! Tue, 11/13/07 10:51 PM (permalink)
                                                        Cameron.. Like all FF joints in the past, Taco Bell was good at one point.. Nothing more to lure you in and hook ya into being a regular for their product. Gots to love their marketing techniques! Don't quote me on this, but from what I understand, today everything is rehydrated (meat, beans)... Nothing like it used to be when everything was prepped fresh (I know, I worked at the Ann Arbor location on E. University back in the early 80's - back when PepsiCo owned the chain). Give it another year or two, and the only warmers will be a device called the Microwave (no water required)...

LegalLady

• Total Posts: 404
                                                          • Location: Oshkosh, NE
                                                          RE: Tacos!!!!!! Tue, 11/13/07 11:19 PM (permalink)
                                                          OK, here's a TRUE Taco Bell Tale - A member of the WING Drug Task Force team, personally known to me, who is a police office in Sidney,Nebraska, the Corporate Home of Cabela's, decided to go eat fast food. He took his wife and small son to the local TB. An employee of TB, having had dealings with the officer, deposited a liquid substance (begins with a "U") in the familys meals. Another employee saw this happening and told the manager, who did nothing. The officer's son became deathly ill, and there is currently a lawsuit in court regarding this matter. I haven't eaten in a TB since, just think what they would do to a Judge, OH MY!!
                                                          LL

matilda

• Total Posts: 667
                                                            • Location: Port Royal, SC
                                                            RE: Tacos!!!!!! Wed, 11/14/07 4:17 AM (permalink)
                                                            That's nothing. A recent patron in our local Taco Bell was treated to a free snack of crack. Unbeknownst to him. Until he bit and chewed.
                                                            He went to the hospital. He was okay.
                                                            I'm sure there's a lawsuit in the wings there, too.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 69

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com