Take Paypal at your Restaurant?

Author
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
2012/06/12 09:23:12 (permalink)

Take Paypal at your Restaurant?

I'm not sure what your thoughts will be on this article but according to the author Paypal may be coming to every retailer soon. And I would think that it's such a simple operation, restaurants would be next. But the first and last paragraph tell us just what the writer thinks about Paypal. I'm not sure I agree but it could be I just don't know enough about the system. But I do buy a lot of stuff on Ebay.

1st paragraph:

The Digital Skeptic: PayPal Robs banks

Written by: Jonathan Blum 06/12/12 - 8:00 AM EDT
CLEARWATER, Fla. (MainStreet) -- The Home Depot(HD) here on Gulf-to-Bay Boulevard is letting us hold up banks. Lot's of 'em. In broad daylight. In fact, we're doing it as we buy a socket wrench at the self-scan terminal during Memorial Weekend.
It turned out we could pay for some hardware to tune up our boat with either Visa(V) , American Express(AXP) , MasterCard(MA) or -- wait for it -- PayPal. Not at HomeDepot.com, but at a real-life Home Depot.
"Today it's really hard to find an online retailer that does not accept PayPal," says David Marcus, president of the eBay(EBAY) -owned, San Jose, Calif.-based transaction company, in a company-released video. He is clear that the next big score for his company is in traditional retail sales.

Last Paragraph:
Banks are not doomed. But just like everybody else spiraling down the digital coil, the banking sector is on track to be much, much smaller. And PayPal, which really is nothing more than the checkout table for an online flea market called eBay? It'll wind up being bigger than Bonnie and Clyde.

Here is a link to the entire story.
http://business-news.thes...al-robs-banks/11575396

14 Replies Related Threads

Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:Take Paypal at your Restaurant? 2012/06/12 09:43:19 (permalink)
    go to this site and then tell me youll take paypal.  paypalsucks.com 

paypal is not regulated like banks are and therefore 'can and will' do as they pls with our money as long as its self servicing. the last gov of calif is that witch that ran paypal for 10 yrs or better....i rest
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Take Paypal at your Restaurant? 2012/06/12 09:58:46 (permalink)
    Yes...Paypal can & will (I've had it happen) freeze the entire merchant account ( all funds) for as long as they see fit...whenever there is an issue (that can be often) on the payer end and through zero fault of the merchant. Just getting in touch with Paypal can be a project. At least it was a few years ago. Never again.
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Take Paypal at your Restaurant? 2012/06/12 10:00:45 (permalink)
    it will be a cold day in hell,...
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Take Paypal at your Restaurant? 2012/06/12 10:06:40 (permalink)
    I'd accept nothing but sticky pennies as payment before/ instead of Paypal.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18390
    Re:Take Paypal at your Restaurant? 2012/06/12 10:42:01 (permalink)
    Bistro a go-go

go to this site and then tell me youll take paypal.  paypalsucks.com 

paypal is not regulated like banks are and therefore 'can and will' do as they pls with our money as long as its self servicing. the last gov of calif is that witch that ran paypal for 10 yrs or better....i rest

The last governor of California was Arnold Schwarzenegger and he never ran PayPal. In fact, there's never been a woman governor of California. Are you suggesting that some male governor was both a warlock and head of PayPal?

lornaschinske
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Take Paypal at your Restaurant? 2012/06/12 13:34:58 (permalink)
    I use paypal personally and have their Mastercard to access my (business level) account. I like it. But I did dump our BOA account after we got tired of them robbing us with their version of "musical chairs" regarding debits/deposits. Somehow my early morning cash deposits were always credited either at the end of the day or the next day (or the day after that) while my charges were immediately credited with fees added on whenever possible. Now we use Wal-mart's Money card and cash. My paycheck is direct deposited to the Wal-mart card. Saves going to a bank and it has cost us less per month than BOA. Still, cash is our preferred method of payment when not online purchasing.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Take Paypal at your Restaurant? 2012/06/12 14:03:05 (permalink)
    I like paypal and ebay. I have bought over 450 items from ebay over the years. And the only time I had a problem was my step van and ebay gave me my $5000.00 back and I got to keep the truck.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Take Paypal at your Restaurant? 2012/06/12 16:04:12 (permalink)
    Caveat emptor
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Take Paypal at your Restaurant? 2012/06/12 17:15:33 (permalink)
    CC you missed the point, you don't have to beware, they (Ebay) gave me my money back and the truck. That's just about the best insurance I have ever heard of. LOL.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Take Paypal at your Restaurant? 2012/06/12 17:28:55 (permalink)
    That's good!

Caveat emptor was about using Paypal as a merchant account. It is very different than as an Ebay buyer or seller. There are risks when not talking about Home Depot. They are unregulated...can and will freeze merchant accounts for their own reasons...and do so often.. Not just a transaction. The entire account...for reasons of their own making like escalated transactions or transaction amounts 100% legit or a red flag on a credit card accepted by you with no way of knowing there is an issue because they processed it. Then there is no explanation and it is often frozen for up to 6 months.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/06/12 17:35:46
    roadkillgrill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 179
    Re:Take Paypal at your Restaurant? 2012/06/12 21:16:11 (permalink)
    You may have already accepted Ebay CC's. the depositing and spending has to be done by a 3rd party anyway. Ebay used MasterCard for your disbursements. I have taken a many Paypal MasterCard payments. It's as good as any other cc, because it's MasterCard not Ebay.

as for landing bank acct... I have one acct called 'Electronic Acct" this is strictly for what it says. I keep less than $20 pad in there at any time. Just for the reason of chargebacks, but more importantly FRAUD. It may be a small hassle, but I have never lost any money from my regulars accounts...
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Take Paypal at your Restaurant? 2012/06/12 21:34:12 (permalink)
    The issue is not with the credit cards issued by Ebay.

It's when the funds are in the Paypal account (unregulated) and it's frozen with no way to anticipate an issue. You are simply frozen....with no prompt recourse to fix the situation because they don't treat it as an isolated issue with a transaction (questionable or not) they just deny access to your funds....while they provide no answers or timeline for resolution.

The only solution is to keep the account as empty as possible...but business is fluid and you have to sweat a good day in business...hoping that you can always get to it before something happens. So...it's partly because I've been through it with thousands in the account and also a matter of principle that it's not worth doing merchant business with such a flawed system.

Talk about musical chairs. Ebay now has a policy for Paypal putting a 21 day hold on cleared funds that are paid to Paypal for Ebay auctions after they are complete. They may be good for buyers...but boy they stick it to those that butter their bread.

http://m.articlesbase.com...-payments-2364781.html

This system is a transfer from one Paypal account to another just with a phone number or PIN. It's an internal Paypal payment system regulated by the rules of Paypal.

From the original article...
    Sign up and you will see that PayPal has managed to engineer a point-of-sale system that does away with traditional debit or credit cards. Never mind that deck of financial identity plastic. The PayPal retail product doesn't even need a smartphone -- just your phone number and an easy-to-remember PIN."
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/06/13 06:49:38
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Take Paypal at your Restaurant? 2012/06/22 11:11:15 (permalink)
    that happened to me on an ebay sale. they WERE gonna release my 300.00 after customer left positive feedback. that was my last ebay transaction. i cancelled the sale, refunded the customer and said up yours. ive done fairly well managing my own funds for 52 yrs and didnt feel it was necesary to have paypal start holding my money for 45 days. 2 ebay accounts (4 if you count my wifes) with a cpl of thousand transactions and 100% positive feedback. my last 2 months fees to ebay were over 700.00 to ebay plus 3% to paypal and i said screw it. NEVER will i slip into bed with them again or paypal.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Take Paypal at your Restaurant? 2012/06/22 16:35:02 (permalink)
    I seriously doubt Home Depot will be subject to any of the nonsense that other merchants using (used) Paypal experience with their "investigations" into the transactions THEY process.

Home Depot is the posterchild to showcase that it's safe to go into the water. The shark is not going to bite Home Depot. It'll still bite though....long and hard.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1