Take and bake Pizza

Author
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1512
2008/07/17 11:14:18 (permalink)

Take and bake Pizza

I see these places are springing up around the country. We have a local place doing it but the one time I tried it I thought it was very overpriced and not that good. What do people think of the quality and prices of these places? Do you get to pick from several varieties?

28 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18853
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/17 13:22:49 (permalink)
    I tried one from Papa Murphy's a couple of years ago. It was pretty inexpensive, and had it not been for the humongous amount of cheese they put on it it would have been pretty good.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3750
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/17 13:54:11 (permalink)
    They have "take and bake" pizzas at our local supermarket and I ask them just to put sauce on it. When I take it home, I put my own ingredients on it............great bargain as they always have this 16 inch pizza on special every Monday for $4.00.
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/17 13:58:01 (permalink)
    The honest answer is that many of these places accept food stamp debit cards. As long as the pizza is not cooked, it can be purchased with a benefits card. I was in the pizza business for a while and we saw a hit from the take and bakes, but we did not want to get involved in that end of the business.

Very few people can reproduce a restaurant pie at home. Baking a pie with a part-cooked crust and raw toppings will give you bread with sauce and melted cheese, not a pizza
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/17 14:03:32 (permalink)
    We cook a Papa Murphy's pizza occasionally and it's pretty decent; it's a good choice if one of the kids is having a birthday party or just a group of friends at the house.
    [url='http://www.pizzaextreme.biz/']Pizza Extreme[/url] in Madison WI sells partially-cooked Chicago-style (think Edwardo's) pizzas that we like.

Brad
    uncledaveyo
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/17 14:11:49 (permalink)
    They can take 'em - I won't bake 'em.
    Lindseyup67
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/18 08:12:50 (permalink)
    IMO..Papa Murphys are pretty darn good for a chain pizzeria. Tons of cheese (Michael, with all due respect, how can a pizza have TOO much cheese?) tons of toppings, and the sauce is very tasty, with a touch of kick to it. For under $10.00 out the door for a huge family size, it is a good deal! I will be picking one up this weekend, no doubt!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6345
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/18 08:17:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lindseyup67

IMO..Papa Murphys are pretty darn good for a chain pizzeria. Tons of cheese (Michael, with all due respect, how can a pizza have TOO much cheese?) tons of toppings, and the sauce is very tasty, with a touch of kick to it. For under $10.00 out the door for a huge family size, it is a good deal! I will be picking one up this weekend, no doubt!

I've never had one of these take and bake,so I can't comment...but I know the oven has a lot to do with the final product!!!...also I'll agree with the extra cheese...sometimes lot's of extra cheese...(if it's of a great quality) is a fun thing...and delicious!!!
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1512
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/18 08:51:49 (permalink)
    I do think a pizza can have too much cheese, makes the crust soggy in the middle. We used to always order extra cheese but no longer. To stay on topic the Walmart deli now has "take and bake" pizza which not surprisingly we didn't care for. It was $4.99 I think for 16" pepperoni.
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/18 09:40:17 (permalink)
    The last Papa Murphys we got was ameat lovers. It had bacom, sausage, peperoni, ham and a couple I forgot(I remember 7 meat items.) Topped with a ton of chese. One of the sausages was way hot. It burned my mouth while eating it to the point of tears. It was a med and weighed atleast 5#. For 9 bux it was a bargin but way to rich for me. I need more veggies to stand up to the meat.
    britt
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/18 11:09:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lindseyup67

This one had so much cheese you couldn't taste anything else, and it made both of us slightly nauseated.
    susanll
    • Total Posts : 1077
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/18 11:11:35 (permalink)
    Alot of cheese makes the pie greasey, too.
    Navy_Brat913
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 179
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/23 14:39:24 (permalink)
    I have had Papa Murphys for more than 13 years, in 2 different states, and have never had too much cheese put on any of them. BTW: I love pizza, but an overly cheesed pie turns my stomach as well. Could it be that it was the individual shop, rather than the chain? I have never had anything but a very well balanced sauce to cheese ratio at that establishment, but since it is individually owned rather than a 'chain', it could be the individual employees and/or management coloring over-use of cheese.....or it could be that a lot of customers ask for more cheese, so they automatically add it. My ex hub loves Papa Johns pizza, but I don't. While their product is higher quality than, say Dominos, they add too much cheese, imo.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1857
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/23 14:48:44 (permalink)
    I generally enjoy take and bakes. Allows the opportunity to doctor them up too. For example, I get a canadian bacon, scrape off the cheese, add sauerkraut, re-cheese. Hardly anyone ever offers sauerkraut outside of the mid-west.

sauerkraut = Awesomeness
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1078
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/23 14:56:44 (permalink)
    My next-door neighbors love Papa Murphy's. I tried it once -- had the Veggie deLITE, with mushrooms, spinach, and fresh tomatoes, with a thin crispy crust, which I thought was baked up well in a home oven. The description of this pizza on their website lists "creamy garlic sauce" as an ingredient, but I asked them to use the herb tomato sauce, and they did.

The main reason I don't patronize them more often is that it is almost impossible to park near the Papa Murphy's that is closest to my house.

Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/23 15:07:01 (permalink)
    The stuffed Pizza is pretty good from Papa Murphy s. And next time you go there they will make it just about anyway you like. They will also sell you just plain dough if you would like to build your own at home and the dough isnt bad. Tip for success with Papa Murphy's is to make sure it comes to room temp. Preheat oven and stone as hot as your oven will get. Forget about the time stated on package and watch pizza until done. Also at about the 7 minute point slide the pizza onto the stone from the paper bottom. This can be a little tricky. You can also paint the crust with olive oil...Russ
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1857
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/23 15:14:05 (permalink)
    Oh, nice tips Russ. I'll have to give that a try.
    JMG
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/23 21:54:51 (permalink)
    I've tried Papa Murphys, it was OK but here in Rockford, IL. we have several locally owned Italian restaurants that are just impossible to beat...

Capri
    Sam's on Charles Street
    Lino's

I don't mind take and bake or frozen pizza when I want something quick. But when time allows and I want a really good pizza, depending on my mood, any of the above restaurants fills the bill.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/23 21:58:00 (permalink)
    Real Italian pizzaria pizza,almost always will beat a chain pie!!!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/23 22:00:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Navy_Brat913

I have had Papa Murphys for more than 13 years, in 2 different states, and have never had too much cheese put on any of them. BTW: I love pizza, but an overly cheesed pie turns my stomach as well. Could it be that it was the individual shop, rather than the chain?

It was a Papa Murphy's. The last time I looked Papa Murphy's was a chain.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/23 22:06:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JMG

I've tried Papa Murphys, it was OK but here in Rockford, IL. we have several locally owned Italian restaurants that are just impossible to beat...

Capri
    Sam's on Charles Street
    Lino's

I don't mind take and bake or frozen pizza when I want something quick. But when time allows and I want a really good pizza, depending on my mood, any of the above restaurants fills the bill.

My quote referred to the restaurants mentioned here...I realize Pap0a Murphy's is a chain..that's my point...if you have these non chain places and like them...they'll beat a chain pizza anyday!!!!!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/07/23 22:07:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

quote:
    Originally posted by JMG

Capri
    Sam's on Charles Street
    Lino's

My quote followed this post and referred to the restaurants mentioned here...I realize Papa Murphy's is a chain..that's my point...if you have these non chain places and like them...they'll beat a chain pizza anyday!!!!!
    WBBear
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/08/01 18:51:55 (permalink)
    When I don't "make my own", its a another vote for Papa Murphy's.
    Its quick call and stop on the way home from work. My wife and I love that its less expensive than any of the "delivery" places around our neighborhood. Plus they do coupon inserts in our local paper.
    Two tips....
    1. Always keep your coupons in your car
    2. Always call the "wifey" to start the oven on your way home.
    -Frank-
    johnrm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/08/23 16:18:03 (permalink)
    I am having a Papa Murphy's tonight. I grew up in New Jersey and love the pizza there. Alas, here in Texas we have to make do. When I was in college I worked as the day man in a Shakeys pizza place, so I know a bit about chain pizza. I watched the ladies at Papa Murphy's put mine together. The weighed everything, even the sauce. You get consistent quality that way.
    Just so you know I am not a traitor to my roots...we have Florio's pizza in San Antonio. They are from Paramus NJ and make a great pie. Unfortunately they are 26 miles from me. I get a couple of slices when I am down there, but it is nothing but chain pizza up here in New Braunfels.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1101
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/08/24 18:47:01 (permalink)
    We have a local chain here in Columbus, OH named Mama Mimi's and I prefer it to Papa Murphy's. I think the crust turns out better and they have a lot of interesting topping choices. Even the plain old pepperoni is good as it is quite spicy. They also have a 2 ten inch for $10 special every day that alng with one of their $3 caesar salads makes for a great quick weeknight meal.

http://www.mamamimis.com/

Slim Strummer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/08/25 15:23:37 (permalink)
    We used to get Patty's Pizza in LA. They would toss the pie, top it, wrap it in cellophane and then we'd take it home and bake it. It was very good.
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 442
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/08/25 15:44:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Willly

The honest answer is that many of these places accept food stamp debit cards. As long as the pizza is not cooked, it can be purchased with a benefits card. I was in the pizza business for a while and we saw a hit from the take and bakes, but we did not want to get involved in that end of the business.

Very few people can reproduce a restaurant pie at home. Baking a pie with a part-cooked crust and raw toppings will give you bread with sauce and melted cheese, not a pizza

Hmm, I hadn't thought of the food stamp angle. But it makes sense.

When I lived in Bainbridge, GA, in what have been the late '80s or early '90s thee was a place like this that set up in a storefront--it was previously a veterinarian's office and I always hoped they did a good job cleaning the place up before they moved in. I don't recall it being anything great, but there was a better take and bake place in a little strip mall down the road in Tallahassee, FL that was actually very good. However the last time we went there to order a pizza, they without explanation baked it right here to our surprise. They went belly up shortly thereafter.

But, except for the food stamp angle the concept didn't make much sense--why not just take home a finished product?
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/08/25 18:27:15 (permalink)
    Because all state benefit programs prohibit the purchase of prepared food, meaning assembled AND cooked. The take and bake skirts that rule.
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Take and bake Pizza 2008/08/25 19:10:18 (permalink)
    Try Papa Murphys CHICAGO-STYLE STUFFED PIZZA™
    Premium salami and pepperoni, Italian sausage, beef, and onion mix. Garnished with Roma tomatoes and green onions and have them add Jalapenos.
    http://www.papamurphys.com/public/menu_stuffedPizzas.cfm

I am not trying to say that this is a Authentic Chicago Style Pizza because it isn't but it is very good. For the price they sell it at I don't know how they do it? Plus turn the oven on prior to picking up the pie. Also get it off the cardboard as soon as possible and on a stone in the oven. This can be tough to do and a little dangerous. I usually pull it at the 5 minute point and use two large commercial hamburger flippers and put it on a pizza peel. then slide it onto the stone...Russ
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1