Take over toppings

Author
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
2004/08/30 14:04:10 (permalink)

Take over toppings

SOMETIMES--a single topping or spice just overwhelms everything else on the pizza. In New York City, many of the pizza joints put so many sprigs of basil on top (without notice, and without your asking for it) that you can't taste the toppings you ordered. "Patsy's" near Union Square uses the most I have seen anywhere. I try to remember this and ask that they leave off the greenery and just give me my pepperoni, mushrooms and extra cheese.

We took a trip down to New Haven yesterday (from our current temporary perch in Springfield) for the "Pepe's" experience. It was everything all of you have said. The crust on the white clam pie was perfect, thin and just on the edge of being burned; the couple of pieces of clam I snitched off the top were excellent; the smell was out of this world; BUT--the garlic was so overpowering that any other topping would have been lost--probably even anchovies. The pizza was still good, but it was a garlic pie, and everything else was just filler. We will return before we leave here next month, but the next time we will try something other than their white pie, and will ask that they use restaint when applying the chopped garlic cloves.

Enough garlic will be coming out of my pores to keep the vampires (and probably everybody else, too) away for a month.

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1