Taking organic and "locally sourced" too far?

Author
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5075
2011/11/10 17:22:08 (permalink)

Taking organic and "locally sourced" too far?

What do you think? Play the video. IMHO, an excellent parody.

http://sidedish.dmagazine...-all-shall-we/#respond
post edited by Twinwillow - 2011/11/10 17:42:34

16 Replies Related Threads

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4092
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re:Taking organic and "locally sourced" too far? 2011/11/10 17:56:11 (permalink)
    What do I think?
    I think I know who they are voting for in 2012!
    That sadness and disgust aside, it was hilarious.
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 566
    Re:Taking organic and "locally sourced" too far? 2011/11/10 18:16:48 (permalink)

Why was my message flagged as spam?  Will whoever flagged it have the courtesy to explain, please?

Do you run an organic restaurant, and just disagree with my message?  

Thanks.

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2011/11/10 18:18:33
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 301
    Re:Taking organic and "locally sourced" too far? 2011/11/10 23:43:33 (permalink)
    I did not mark this has spam. In fact I have never marked anything as spam. But I disagree completely with you. Whether you choose to buy organic food or not it is really ignorant to suggest that it is all a scam. Many of us would rather eat food without chemicals and hormones and other additives. Simple as that.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Taking organic and "locally sourced" too far? 2011/11/10 23:51:37 (permalink)
    Glenn1234

Why was my message flagged as spam?  Will whoever flagged it have the courtesy to explain, please?

Thanks.

Glenn

I know for myself, every time I clicked on the link in your post I got an adverstisement for one thing or another that had nothing whatsoever to do with the topic or what you wrote in your post.
    Maybe someone else got the same and acted accordingly. Only reason I can think of.

And personally just for the record, I'll go out of my way for organic if it's the alternative.
    post edited by Twinwillow - 2011/11/10 23:58:29
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Taking organic and "locally sourced" too far? 2011/11/11 00:46:14 (permalink)
    smokestack lightning

I did not mark this has spam. In fact I have never marked anything as spam. But I disagree completely with you. Whether you choose to buy organic food or not it is really ignorant to suggest that it is all a scam. Many of us would rather eat food without chemicals and hormones and other additives. Simple as that.

That's fine, and that's your choice.   With my health issues, the kidney transplant, and need to avoid food-borne pathogens found in organic farming methods,  I feel that I am quite cognizant of the organic issue; ...  quite the opposite of ignorance of the issue.  My life can depend on it, and my doctors have made me quite aware and cognizant (the opposite of ignorant) of the risks.    

Do understand that it is not possible to avoid chemicals.  Everything is made up of chemicals.    Assuming you mean added chemicals, the organic industry adds them, too .... often adding older technology, more hazardous "natural" chemicals compared to the safer modern synthetics that modern agriculture uses today.  
    Additionally, the American Cancer Society says there is no link to cancer shown from modern pesticides used in the U.S.   Sure, there a lots of "internet experts" that will claim a link, ...there are lots of "claims" on the internet.    You won't find a demonstrated link to cancer from modern American pesticides in a bonified refereed journal such as from NEJoM, JAMA, or Lancet, etc.  

What is undisputable is a that food-borne pathogens, such as from using manure in organic farming, are a real risk.  Millions die worldwide from food-borne patogens such as E. Coli,  ... mostly in 3rd world countries who use what we would now call "organic farming".    Of course, organic farming was the prinicpal method of farming in early America.   It was not a pretty picture of a romantic scene, as some imagine.   It was a tough fight for survival, with much food-borne patogenic illlnesses, as well as starvation from the lower crop yields.  

My doctors agree about the pathogen issue from organics, and are the ones who initially made me aware of it.  One is considered one of the world's top immunologists.  I stay away from raw organic produce.    Any potential pathogens need to be killed.   Doctor's orders .... not just my opinion.     

The original post asked "What do you think?"  

There you have it. .. and it's what my docs and refereed medical journals think, too.   

Glenn

Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Taking organic and "locally sourced" too far? 2011/11/11 00:55:03 (permalink)

Twinwillow - 

Thanks for the heads-up on the link.  I just tried clicking it.  Something else popped up, but there was still a play arrow to click on to play the video.  I'll see if I can find another link that goes directly to the link. 

On the "spam" issue, I belong to a few other interest sites (not food related), and if something like that happened with a problem link, people generally are decent enough to point it out, and let the poster know it didn't work, so that the poster can either explain how to click through it,  or can fix it. 

Apparently in this case, for whoever called it "spam", it's shoot first, and not have the decency to reply later with an explanation of why they did that.  

I appreciate you took the time to point out the link issue.  I'll see if I can find a more direct link. 

Thanks.

Glenn 

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7903
    Re:Taking organic and "locally sourced" too far? 2011/11/11 00:55:50 (permalink)
    Nice response, Glenn.  How long have you had the transplant?

Good luck to you.

Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Taking organic and "locally sourced" too far? 2011/11/11 00:59:34 (permalink)
    mar52

Nice response, Glenn.  How long have you had the transplant?

Good luck to you.

Thanks mar52 - 

I had a kidney and pancreas dual transplant in 1998.  The pancreas only lasted for 2 weeks and had to be removed.  I received another pancreas in 2007.  (No kidney that time, as the one from 1998 it is still working fine). 

Thanks!

Glenn 

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Taking organic and "locally sourced" too far? 2011/11/11 01:09:25 (permalink)
    I wish you the best as well. Off topic ~ I'm 71 (72 in December) and have A-fib and a little congestive heart failure. I'm not supposed to have more than a level teaspoon of salt a day so I don't retain any water.  Do you realize how difficult that is to do unless you make and eat every meal at home? So, I understand about health issues.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7903
    Re:Taking organic and "locally sourced" too far? 2011/11/11 01:09:57 (permalink)
    That's great!  I didn't know they did pancreas transplants.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Taking organic and "locally sourced" too far? 2011/11/11 01:14:08 (permalink)
    I didn't either. So, why can't they do pancreas transplants for people with pancreatic cancer?
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Taking organic and "locally sourced" too far? 2011/11/11 01:20:16 (permalink)
    Oh well, time to take my evening meds and go to bed. I hope more people watch my topic's video and have a good laugh. God knows, we all need a good laugh now and then. Good night and God bless. My dear cyber friends.
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Taking organic and "locally sourced" too far? 2011/11/11 01:34:09 (permalink)

Good quesion about the pancreas transplants.  That's the most common comment I get about transplants.....that people don't realize they do pancreas transplants.    Told you my doc is one of the best!  ;).  Seriously... he is.   

Pancreas transplants are not nearly as common as kidney transplants for a few reasons:  ..... 

1.  You can only get a pancreas tranplant from a cadaver donor, while many kidney transplants are done from living donors who will donate one of their kidneys.

2.  In addition to the kidneys that come from live donors, a cadaver donor produces 2 kidneys that can be donted.  Recipients receive only 1 donated kideny each, so that's why a cadaver donor will help out 2 people.   With the "double donation" from cadavers which helps two people, as well as living donors, kidney transplants are fairly common these days.  A medium to large transplant center will do well over 100 kidney tranplants in a year, while only doing a few pancreas transplants. 

3.  Pancreas transplants have a lower success rate than kidneys, and are much more difficult to do, and more difficult to keep from rejecting afterward.  Pre-screening of the patient and the guidelines to be able to receive one are much more rigorous. 

4.  For Type I diabetics (like I was), pancreas transplants are not done in lieu of insulin.  Puttng the patient on imunosuppression is not worth the added risks.  The patients who receive a pancreas transplant will only do so if they are already going to receive (or have already received) another organ (such as a kidney), and will be on the immunosuppression medications anyway....as was the case for me.   

I don't know the answer as to why they are not done in the case of pancreatic cancer.  I would guess it's because, in most cases, the cancer has already spread beyond the pancreas.  If it hasn't, I imagine just removing the cancerous pancreas, and putting the person on insulin, would be helpful even if not receiving a transplant.  Unfortunately, with the nature of pancreatic cancer, and its typical late discovery, it is often too late in most cases. 
    Twinwillow -
    Best  luck to you with your heart issues.   That strict salt limitatiom sounds like a tough one.  Do diuretics such as Lasix help?  

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2011/11/11 02:01:09
    Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1449
    Re:Taking organic and "locally sourced" too far? 2011/11/12 17:14:23 (permalink)
    The clip is from 'Portlandia' a hilarious series. I watched a number of episodes on IFC.  The sketch goes on to the farm and gets even weirder..
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Taking organic and "locally sourced" too far? 2011/11/12 18:00:15 (permalink)
    Glenn; Thanks for the answers to my question. I take a Lasix every day and a "booster" diuretic once a week on Thursday. Thats the day I meet all my friends for lunch at our favorite Chinese restaurant. And, this place does use MSG!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4531
    Re:Taking organic and "locally sourced" too far? 2011/11/12 20:40:05 (permalink)
    Glenn1234

Thanks.

Glenn

Hey Glenn,

Send a PM to one of the moderators, they know who "Spammed" you and MetroplexJim.  Being that it was done without just cause, they should give you the name of the twirp.  

Twinwillow, loved the parody video.   

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1