Tales From The Central Texas Barbecue Trail Part Four: Peter's Barbecue

Author
scrumptiouschef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 697
2012/06/13 15:36:11 (permalink)

Tales From The Central Texas Barbecue Trail Part Four: Peter's Barbecue

Coming off almost 3 weeks without a bite of Texas barbecue, I knew I needed to make the most of being re-baptized in brisket, fat, salt and smoke. After a long hard slog out of Louisiana {it took 21 hours to get to Fayette County, Texas} I was utterly famished, but I punched through one final thunderstorm and wheeled into Peter's Barbecue in Ellinger, Texas a half hour before they closed.

I love this place. Yes, they use a Southern Pride smoker out back, but sometimes it just doesn't matter. Pit boss Peter worked for the Mikeska family for decades before getting his own operation rolling and he definitely knows his way around a pit.

I ordered a large, sliced brisket sandwich and made my way to the accoutrements bar to hoist a couple fistfuls of white, sweet onion and sour pickles onto the plate. A cup of tangy/sweet barbecue sauce rounded out the plate.

I remembered Peter's as having hand-cut fries and they do-but you have to ask for them. If you just say fries you get the kind from the freezer bag, but they will cut an honest potato for you and give it a dip in some hot fat if you specify.

Peter's is a classic, road-side Texas barbecue house. It's old, slightly beat-up and filled with all sorts of Texana arcana. When you're coming off a trip that carried you far away from the Great State and its attendant virtues of world class barbecue, this little joint is as welcoming as a mother's hug.

pic of the brisket http://www.scrumptiousche...ecue-In-Ellinger-Texas

5 Replies Related Threads

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Tales From The Central Texas Barbecue Trail Part Four: Peter's Barbecue 2012/06/13 16:51:14 (permalink)
    So Chef, what would be the problem with using a Southern Pride Smoker? It's only the most widely used smoker in the Q industry. Do you have personal experience with them? If not, what seems to cause your bias, or am I reading your post wrong?
    scrumptiouschef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 697
    Re:Tales From The Central Texas Barbecue Trail Part Four: Peter's Barbecue 2012/06/14 00:40:13 (permalink)
    I'm old school man.

I know the gas powered machines put out a great product but I was raised up to think of it as cheating. I like an old pit boss with a face like a leather boot, sitting out back near a shed with a hand rolled smoke and a can of Pearl beer-maybe a Louis L'amour paperback to get him through the night.

Out here in Austin we draw a line in the sand between pit bosses that strictly use wood fires and those who use gas or heaven forbid an Alto Shaam in their cookery.

Peter's uses a Southern Pride and I get by there a couple times a year, he puts out great meat but I still get a little twinge when I eat at his joint.

kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 683
    Re:Tales From The Central Texas Barbecue Trail Part Four: Peter's Barbecue 2012/06/14 08:55:44 (permalink)
    I'll agree with scrumptiouschef, the best places I've been all use wood.  I know places that use gas (most of them Southern Prides), but usually the smoke just isn't the same.
    HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1076
    Re:Tales From The Central Texas Barbecue Trail Part Four: Peter's Barbecue 2012/06/19 10:58:33 (permalink)
    Never been there, though I have been to Schulenberg and around Fayette County. I don't care how they smoke it, all I care is how good it tastes.Nice photo,and the brisket looked really good.Still haven't been to City market in Luling yet.This weekend is the Watermelon Thump there,but got to work my part time job Saturday from 10:00 to 2:00 pm.Maybe I can at least get there for part of the day. I guess though wood for bbq is just better than gas, you don't quite get the same flavour.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10352
    Re:Tales From The Central Texas Barbecue Trail Part Four: Peter's Barbecue 2012/06/19 16:01:29 (permalink)
    The higher the Carcinogen & Creosote count, the better the flavor! Wood is Good!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1