Tamales

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Tamales 2004/12/17 12:13:42 (permalink)
disclaimer: I know redtressed is not really a strumpet. I was teasing her from a reference she made on another thread.
redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Tamales 2004/12/17 14:16:33 (permalink)
quote:
Lone Star

1841 Posts
Posted - 12/16/2004 : 17:43:38
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oops! Did not think of that... isn't she kind of a strumpet anyway??

TRUMPET DAMN IT....TRUMPET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(quit apologizing, it was something I would of said and you know it)
redtressed
RE: Tamales 2004/12/17 14:18:49 (permalink)
quote:
chezkatie

1090 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 : 17:38:58
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Our tamale lady comes around to our office every Friday. She pushes her baby in a buggy with the tamales piled on top. She doesn't speak any English, and our Spanish is less than fluent, so sometimes our communications are a little garbled.

She only makes chicken - 6.00 a dozen, every Friday like clockwork. We bought a little teddy bear to give to her tomorrow. Para el bebe do Papa Noel.

I sincerely wish we had a tamale lady in Knoxville. It will not happen. We have no such luxury around this part of the hills.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I see an idea for Red for a start up business!

But, (big qestion) where is Red gonna get the baby for the baby carriage?????

Maybe if I-95 quits shirkin' on his job, we can address that quandary.
Donna Douglass
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: Tamales 2004/12/31 14:25:26 (permalink)
Back to the subject of tamales.....we have new neighbors, a darling couple who are Hispanic and have their own tortilla factory here in our immediate vicinity. I just bought two dozen of the freshest, just-out-of-the-steamer tamales one could ask for. They don't make them but they have a friend who does and I ordered two dozen, chicken and cheese, for New Years. Ten dollars a dozen and well worth it though I haven't tasted one yet. They smell out of this world.

When we lived in Arizona, tamales freshly made at Christmastime sold for up to $25 a dozen and those were usually made in a restaurant kitchen, maybe not as authentic as those lovingly made by hand.

My husband ate one and gave it a rating of AAA....gave one dozen to a daughter-in-law and she was happy as could be to get them. Aren't we lucky to have someone nearby who has a contact who makes them? Now I figure I can also buy really fresh tortillas from our neighbor and that will be a treat also.

Had to share news of this good fortune with all of you who love all things Mexican.

Donna
redtressed
RE: Tamales 2004/12/31 14:43:44 (permalink)
Donna.......may I move in by you.........maybe in with you?.......YUM!
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
RE: Tamales 2005/03/24 16:30:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by aleswench

UHHHHHH just read EliseT's recipe on the other tamale thread - Holy Moses - won't be making them from scratch anytime soon - sounds awesome, but I think it would take me an entire day to do them! Mail order.....that's the way to go!

Actually, it takes two days! But it is an annual ritual, and everyone looks forward to the tamale party every year. I have more help than I ever need.
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Tamales 2005/03/24 16:36:27 (permalink)
quote:

disclaimer: I know redtressed is not really a strumpet. I was teasing her from a reference she made on another thread.

Hello??? I think I know her better than you. We are the top strumpets on thee forums[:o) Right, Red?
comissaryqueen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Tamales 2005/03/29 16:14:15 (permalink)
Living in AZ 6 mos. a year I know many people who make their own especially at Xmas. Make sure it has an olive in the middle for luck.
I really liked the mushroom tamales.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Tamales 2005/04/02 02:09:53 (permalink)
Trudy and I are very lucky. My son met a woman selling tamales while hwas visitting a friend. e had the presence of mind to tell te ;person he thought his parents would be interested. We buy 10-20 frest tamales once or twice a month. They are heavenly.
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Tamales 2005/04/02 08:23:02 (permalink)
My wife and I had great Cuban tamales last night at Alex's Havana Cafe in Knoxville. The rest of the diner was excellent as well. I wish I coulkd tell what it was, but there is something different about the cuban tamales that a regular tamale.
Joleen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Tamales 2005/04/26 00:57:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Donna Douglass

Hi Colt45.....try the little market in Guadalupe, which is tucked into a bit of Phoenix/Tempe....they make their own tamales and they are so very good. The market itself is very good also with great fresh produce, etc. Loved shopping there when we lived in Tempe.

Also, at Christmas time, lots of places make tamales to be sold at that time especially. They are labor intensive so really aren't readily available all the time. But the market in Guadalupe has them all the time, unless they have stopped making them in the last 4-5 years, which I doubt since it is a little Indian/Mexican town.

Donna

Hi Donna,

sorry, i know this is an old thread, but do you know the name of the Mexican Market in Guadalupe that has the good tamales? I cant seem to find any info on it. My sister lives in Tempe and we are throwing our mom a huge birthday bash where we would love to serve tamales.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Tamales 2005/04/26 03:26:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Joleen

quote:
Originally posted by Donna Douglass

Hi Colt45.....try the little market in Guadalupe, which is tucked into a bit of Phoenix/Tempe....they make their own tamales and they are so very good. The market itself is very good also with great fresh produce, etc. Loved shopping there when we lived in Tempe.

Also, at Christmas time, lots of places make tamales to be sold at that time especially. They are labor intensive so really aren't readily available all the time. But the market in Guadalupe has them all the time, unless they have stopped making them in the last 4-5 years, which I doubt since it is a little Indian/Mexican town.

Donna

Hi Donna,

sorry, i know this is an old thread, but do you know the name of the Mexican Market in Guadalupe that has the good tamales? I cant seem to find any info on it. My sister lives in Tempe and we are throwing our mom a huge birthday bash where we would love to serve tamales.

I've never been to Guadalupe and I don't know anything about it, but in case no one else tries to help you I checked their web site at: http://www.kyrene.k12.az.us/schools/waggoner/guad/Shopping.htm and found the following: "Guadalupe has brought all the unique goods of Mexico together in a place that's just next door. Along Avenida Del Yaqui street you will discover roadside fruit stands, numerous specialty shops, and one of the only authentic Mexican bakeries in the Valley . . . . Here is a list of places you can visit to shop or eat in Guadalupe:
• Farmer's Market
• Guadalupe Market
• The Mercado
• Circle B
• Mission Market
• San Diego Bay
• Felitos
• The Bakery
• The Waffle House
• Carl's Jr.
• Jack in the Box
• Shoneys
• Freeway Cafe"

So it sounds like there's only one main shopping street and the market with tamales can only be one of a couple of places: Mission Market, Guadalupe Market, The Mercado or possibly The Bakery.
Donna Douglass
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: Tamales 2005/04/26 06:54:23 (permalink)
As best I can remember, it is the Farmer's Market, or Guadalupe Market....It is where there is a huge roaster for chiles out in front. They roast their own chiles daily. Great produce, both veggies and fruits, plus lots of other goodies too numerous to mention. Guadalupe is a wonderfully interesting place in which to shop.

Good luck and I hope the ladies are still making those wonderful tamales.

Donna
sauceman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 184
RE: Tamales 2005/04/26 08:43:26 (permalink)
For Paul and Carlton in particular:

Follow this link and you'll find a Public Radio interview I did with Clara Robinson, owner of Mary's Hot Tamales in Knoxville. Clara did a wonderful job. This aired on "Inside Appalachia," an hourlong program produced weekly by West Virginia Public Broadcasting. It's carried on stations throughout Appalachia. There's a cut from Mary in the opening billboard, and the actual story begins around 22:26.

Fred Sauceman
http://www.wvpubcast.org/radio/insideapp/default.asp
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
RE: Tamales 2005/04/26 09:35:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sauceman

For Paul and Carlton in particular:

Follow this link and you'll find a Public Radio interview I did with Clara Robinson, owner of Mary's Hot Tamales in Knoxville. Clara did a wonderful job. This aired on "Inside Appalachia," an hourlong program produced weekly by West Virginia Public Broadcasting. It's carried on stations throughout Appalachia. There's a cut from Mary in the opening billboard, and the actual story begins around 22:26.

Fred Sauceman
http://www.wvpubcast.org/radio/insideapp/default.asp

Fred, I went to the site and it looks interesting. I found your name and it took me elsewhere. I could not find your interview/story.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
sauceman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 184
RE: Tamales 2005/04/26 10:05:08 (permalink)
It's there. I just checked it. Click where it says to listen to the program.

Fred Sauceman
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Tamales 2005/04/26 10:36:32 (permalink)
quote:

Fred Sauceman

I clicked where it said listen to the program but I could not find you. Sorry

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Tamales 2005/04/26 11:27:13 (permalink)
[url='http://www.belluescajuncuisine.com/']Bellue's[/url] in Baton Rouge, LA has a nice version. Also [url='http://www.doeseatplace.net/menu.html']Doe's[/url] in Little Rock, though I don't know whether they ship. And the [url='http://www.lacrawfish.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ZT&Category_Code=CM']Louisiana Crawfish Company[/url] offers the locally (at least) famous Zwolle Tamale as well as a few other delicacies.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Tamales 2005/04/26 13:38:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:

Fred Sauceman

I clicked where it said listen to the program but I could not find you. Sorry

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Fred, I finally got it and I heard the total interview and you were great as usual. I cannot wait to purchase tamales from this great example of east Tennessee food from western Missippi roots.

Thanks to you for your usual great skills. You interview wonderfuly.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Tenaya
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Tamales 2006/02/18 15:05:02 (permalink)
Have you tried Phoenix Ranch Market? A bunch of Mexican supermarkets in the Phoenix area. Great take-out, juices etc.
Sus
ernest_fl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Tamales 2006/06/29 20:52:00 (permalink)
My darling wife was born and raised in Tucson, AZ, and is hispanic. She is an excellent cook, and her specialty is Mexican food, Sonora variety. She makes wonderful tamales including the green corn type. I guess I'm spoiled. We've been married for over 56 years now, and I am so biased it is shameful. She makes tamales every Christmas which carries over into the New Year also. Living in the South, we have both Mexican, and traditional Southern-style food like black-eyed peas and hog jowl with cracklin' cornbread, etc. I have the best of both worlds, so to speak. :)) My wife's parents are from Mexico, her father from the Santa Rosalia (Baja) area, and her mother from southern Mexico and the Yucatan (Mayan). She picked up on cooking naturally, and I rate her as a gourmet chef.

Of course we always have whole roast turkey because I'm a turkey freak. Cornbread dressing with oysters. Sometimes we will have turkey mole also, another big favorite.

I enjoy tamales most when accompanied by a tangy red chili sauce, made preferably from ground-up dried chilies from New Mexico. Frijoles alongside laced with jalapeno. The Spanish rice is good. Guacamole salad rounds it out. Flan for desert with hot black Mexican coffee. Whew! – easy to work up an appetite just talking about it! :))
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Tamales 2006/06/29 22:03:50 (permalink)
Man are yall makin me hungry! I love a geat tamale!! The homemaid ones made by a Mexican person who knows what they are doing are the best. But, I have had some south american tamales wraped in banana leaves the were great also.
Joe
WVHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Tamales 2006/06/29 22:44:59 (permalink)
"I enjoy tamales most when accompanied by a tangy red chili sauce, made preferably from ground-up dried chilies from New Mexico. Frijoles alongside laced with jalapeno. The Spanish rice is good. Guacamole salad rounds it out. Flan for desert with hot black Mexican coffee. Whew! – easy to work up an appetite just talking about it! :))"

Whoa! Talk about teasing!

I learned how to make tamales from an ex-girl friend who is Mexican and her mother.
It's not really THAT hard and doesn't take THAT long. I make them the evening before our Christmas eve feast.
The trick is to keep them moist.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Tamales 2006/06/29 22:49:22 (permalink)
WV, U tha man! Sounds like a great Christmas eve!
Joe
WVHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Tamales 2006/06/29 23:30:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

WV, U tha man! Sounds like a great Christmas eve!
Joe

Joe, Some of the best tamales I ever had were wrapped in banana leaves in Southern Mexico. . . of course, they had to serve them with that obnoxious strong Oaxacan chocolate mole.
Mix chicken with chocolate and it just smells like the chicken coup to me.
cornfed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 344
RE: Tamales 2006/06/30 01:49:09 (permalink)
The best tamale i ever has was at Las Quatro Milpas in the barrio logan section of San Diego. I'm really interested to know if anyone else on this site has tried this place. It's this amazing hole-in-the-wall that can't be beat. Hugely popular around here. They have a sign that says, "Tamales are not for resale." You know they're good.
HankNBugsy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: Tamales 2006/07/03 15:19:17 (permalink)
Ruben's Homemade Tamales
1807 Rigsby Avenue, San Antonio, TX 78210
(210) 333-9529
During the holiday season you'd better get there before dawn unless you plan on standing line for a few hours! There are a group of grandmas in the back room who look like they've been cooking together since they were ten.

I don't know if Ruben's ships tamales, but if they don't, you can also try Delicious Tamales No 1,2114 Castroville Road, San Antonio, TX 78237
(210) 434-8861 and I'm pretty sure they do ship them.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Tamales 2006/07/03 15:47:02 (permalink)
Ok, this brings up the question, who does ship a great Tamale???
If you google there are lots of places that sell and ship them, but does anyone know what is really good and worth having shipped?
Joe
HankNBugsy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: Tamales 2006/07/03 16:40:31 (permalink)
Papa joe,

I just called Ruben's to check, and they do not ship their tamales - but mark them down to pick up on your next road trip south.

However, I spoke to Lopez at Delicious Tamales and they do ship theirs. $4.99 per dozen plus shipping and they ship either UPS or FedEx, whichever you prefer. For reference in calculating the shipping cost, a 12x12x12 box holds ten dozen tamales and will weigh about 17 lbs.

Ruben's and Delicious are staples of the San Antonio diet (part of why we're one of the fattest cities LOL!) so I'd recommend ordering from Delicious before tempting fate with an online vendor.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Tamales 2006/07/03 16:59:20 (permalink)
Thanks so much HankNBugsy! Now to order.... or maybe a good reason for a roadtrip! As if there is a bad reason to go to San Antonio. I lived there for a few years as a kid and always love going back. Always a great time! And now I know where to get some great tamales.
Joe
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1