Tamales

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Tamales 2006/09/25 16:04:33 (permalink)
Holly, Ruth's are made in Dallas. Not as good as the ones you can get I bet, but I like them better than Pedro's.
Joe
Big_g
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 374
RE: Tamales 2006/09/26 21:17:35 (permalink)
I don't know if it has changed much but Hodges Restaurant in Downtown St.Louis used to serve tamales 3 in a plate topped with their chili, chese, onions and the fixin's you'd like and they were killer. Anytime you'd go in you would see bank presidents and bums sitting in the same room eating the same great food. Man I could go for a plate of those tamales right now.

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: Tamales 2006/09/30 09:16:34 (permalink)
Mary's in Knoxville on Magnolia has very good tamales made Mississippi style. She has been featured on Saucemans list many times. They are very good.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
joeoftexas
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Tamales 2006/10/02 16:44:25 (permalink)
In Dallas, TX
try:

http://lapopulartamales.com/

La Popular Tamale House
5004 Columbia at Munger, suite 103
Dallas, TX 75214
Phone: 214-824-7617
Kiowa1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: Tamales 2006/10/02 16:52:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Best tamales in the world are from Pedro's Tamales in Lubbock, TX. There is no contest.

www.tamale.com for mail-order, and they're available in many southwestern supermarkets.

I agree... Pedro's is the BEST... used to munch on them at the Texas State Fair among other things... and they are very good from the supermarket...

Goya actually makes a pretty good tamale also...
xannie_01
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Tamales 2006/10/02 17:04:34 (permalink)
i can't wait for the xmas tamales here in NM
TheHotPepper.com
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Tamales 2006/10/02 17:44:07 (permalink)
Had a good pineapple tamale once.
xannie_01
RE: Tamales 2006/10/02 17:45:22 (permalink)
really????
what all was in it?
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Tamales 2006/10/02 18:30:28 (permalink)
Don't torture us Xannie, less you wana mail us some of those tamales!!! But... hearin about em is better than nothin I guess. Oh, maybe some pictures would... make us wantem more. I guess we could come eat some I guess. Oh, mighta ben some pineapple in THP's tamaies?

Joetex, I ben there, whats your favorite kind? They have like 8 flovors.

Kiowa, have you had Ruth's at the fair? 2 stands this year. Try em and tell me I'm wrong.
Joe
xannie_01
RE: Tamales 2006/10/02 18:34:11 (permalink)
PapaJoe,
you have my word. as soon as those tamales
start becoming available for the holidays, i'm fedexing you a dozen!
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Tamales 2006/10/03 10:32:57 (permalink)
Wow, sounds great Xannie! Hmm, now hat can I send you from Texas?
Joe
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8651
RE: Tamales 2006/10/03 10:46:48 (permalink)
Me too,me,too,Xannie!!!!And tell me what you want from Wisconsin in return...
desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: Tamales 2006/10/04 20:51:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by HollyDolly

Thanks for the food photos and all this talk makes me hungery.I have made the green corn tamales,just a dozen for myself.I got the recipe from a cookbook,but can't remember the name.I may order some from Angie's mom for Thanksgiving for myself.Eat a couple and freeze the rest.
As kids we usually bought canned ones or sometimes the regular ones in corn husks.
Pedros are pretty good.I have had them before.They also sell Alamo Tamales here like at Walmart.H.E.B.grocery stores sell Rosita,Pedro's and Garcia's.

The Sanchez Family here in Arizona make my favorite Green Corn Tamales. (served in their restaurant called Que Bueno) They took over the place several years ago and have just done an outstanding job on all of their menu items. Their salsa has won first place the last several years at the Great Southwest Salsa Challenge in Scottsdale. top notch stuff!
xannie_01
RE: Tamales 2006/10/04 21:05:29 (permalink)
papajoe and annpeeples,
just yer undying devotion>>
i want everyone to fall in love with NM
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
RE: Tamales 2006/10/04 22:14:49 (permalink)
Of course I am already in love with NM (having an affair with NYC at the same time). Xannie: Have you ever read the poem by New Mexican poet Joan Logghe called "Something Like a Marriage"? She donated a copy to Ranch O Casadas in Espanola which they had on the wall. A very good poem about the complexities of a NM attachment! (maybe I can get a copy...)

Anyway, re: Tamales. I had 2 good one this part weekend (1) Leona's (Chimayo): Veggie (zucchini, green chile, cheese). Leona's also sells in bulk and in freezer section of some NM markets. Yum Yum.
(2) Santo Domingo Pueblo - off I-25 Exit 259 at the gas station where the native americans sell handmade jewelry, boots, etc. Nice tamales with meat. A bit less spicy, a bit bigger and a bit more expensive than Leona's. ($3 vs $1.75)

PS: What is Xmas tamales? (red/green chile?)
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Tamales 2006/10/04 22:43:12 (permalink)
I’m engaged to New Mexico. I’ve been engaged for eighteen years.
I’ve worn its ring of rainbow set with a mica shard.
I’ve given my dowry already, my skin texture, my hair moisture.
I’ve given New Mexico my back-East manners, my eyesight,
The arches of my feet. New Mexico’s a difficult fiancé.
—excerpt from "Something Like Marriage" by Joan Logghe

For NM lovers. Full text in Blessed Resistance: Poems. Mariposa Press. 1999.

xannie_01
RE: Tamales 2006/10/04 22:56:32 (permalink)
NYNM,
the xmas tamales are special, they're made with white corn , green chiles and chicken.
one talame is as big as your hand. sour cream sauce..delicious. so hot, so spicy so GOOD.
jjjj
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Tamales 2006/12/16 21:17:48 (permalink)
Does anyone know A GREAT place to mail-order TAMALES -- ones made without lard or unhealthy oils -- that are tied and packaged prettily (it's for a gift)?
Thnx
Big_g
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 374
RE: Tamales 2006/12/16 22:22:31 (permalink)
This was posted at the begin of this thread....and I just placed an order for 6 doz..

Best tamales in the world are from Pedro's Tamales in Lubbock, TX.
There is no contest.

www.tamale.com for mail-order, and they're available in many southwestern supermarkets.

NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Tamales 2006/12/16 22:50:18 (permalink)
Gotta put in a plug for Leona's tamales which many of you know - they are sold in the small cafe just next to the Santuario de Chimayo in New Mexico. Made with Chimayo "Holy Chile" They also make chile ristras and sell packs of "Christmas Mix" Chile (red+Green dried chile). There's a gift for ya! They ship and they are GOOD!

http://www.leonasrestaurante.com

From the website:
Vegetarian, Pork, & Chicken Tamales
Served in fine Restaurants and sold in many health food markets. These excellent tamales combine the traditions of yesterday with the dietary preferences of today. The veggie consist of zucchini, corn flower, canola oil, green chile, cheddar cheese, garlic, salt and water. As with all our fine products, no lard or preservatives are used.

Vegetarian, Red, No Cheese, Vegetarian, Green, Traditional Pork Tamales, Red, No Cheese, Traditional Chicken Tamales, Cheese, No Chile, Traditional Chicken Tamales, Green, Cheese $15

CHILE PRODUCTS: Red Chile Powder Hot or Mild, Red Chile Caribe (Crushed) 1 lb, Hot or Mild, Green Chile Powder lb, Green Chile Caribe (Crushed) Hot or Mild, Red Chile Sauce Green Chile, Salsa

Ristras (string chile): 4" Piquin (treated), 12" Piquin, 1- 2-3 ft.

Dried Products - Leona's de Chimayó, Chile Piquin, Salsa Mix, Christmas Mix, Chicos, Blue Corn Atole, White Posole, Blue Corn Posole, Blue Corn Popcorn, Sopaipilla Mix.

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Tamales 2006/12/17 08:41:45 (permalink)
I am in Houston looking for some good tamales. I understand that Texas Tamales are very good but I have been unable to find them except in the grocery store.

I would prefer to find them in a place that sold them hot.

For those that know Houston, I would prefer to find a place close to South Main St.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
jjjj
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Tamales 2006/12/17 12:16:11 (permalink)
Hello Again --

Thnx for the replies. Does anyone know whether any mail-order tamales use HATCH, NM chile?

Does anyone know anything about Corn Maiden Tamales (http://www.cornmaidenfoods.com/)?

Or Hot Damn Tamales (http://www.hotdamntamales.com/?gclid=CNaF54ylmIkCFQGPWAod8kyCTw)?

Or El Merendero (Posa's) Tamales/Santa Fe Tamales (http://www.santafetamales.com/)?

Or Carrillo's Tamales (https://carrillostamales.com/tamales.htm)?

Or Montana Tamale Company?

Thnx,
j
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Tamales 2006/12/17 16:38:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jjjj

Hello Again --

Thnx for the replies. Does anyone know whether any mail-order tamales use HATCH, NM chile?

Does anyone know anything about Corn Maiden Tamales (http://www.cornmaidenfoods.com/)?

Or Hot Damn Tamales (http://www.hotdamntamales.com/?gclid=CNaF54ylmIkCFQGPWAod8kyCTw)?

Or El Merendero (Posa's) Tamales/Santa Fe Tamales (http://www.santafetamales.com/)?

Or Carrillo's Tamales (https://carrillostamales.com/tamales.htm)?

Or Montana Tamale Company?

Thnx,
j

Posa's is a sort of "chain" in Santa Fe, a little "downscale" if you will. I'd look around elsewhere. Leona's probably used Chimayo chile which is a second cousin to Hatch, a tad sweeter I think. And good.
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: Tamales 2006/12/17 16:52:45 (permalink)
I've got a dozen green chile and pork tamales waiting to be served for dinner tonight. Also a pound of carnitas. Having a sliced avocado, grapefruit salad on the side. Neat twist....slice up the avocados, section out a grapefruit or two, squeeze juice into a serving bowl with avocados and grapefruit. Drizzle with a little EVOO and some coarse black pepper. Try it you'll like it. You can get the tamales from Super La Tienda(here in Madison, WI) every weekend. The best I've ever had!
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Tamales 2006/12/18 09:44:59 (permalink)
I just experienced the single best tamales ever tasted at a company Xmas party. The source: Roberto's in Las Cruces, NM. They are renowned for the world's biggest enchilada. But these tamales are superior to anything else I've had on their menu.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
RE: Tamales 2006/12/18 10:16:39 (permalink)
I am going to bring back an UNANSWERED question from one of the earlier posts. Will one of you Tamale lovers please explain to me what the difference is between the 'Normal' Mexican, or Tex/California-Mex Tamale and the Southern-Style or Mississippi Style tamale one obtains at places like DOES EAT PLACE or other Delta 'Soul-food places.
Paul mentioned them in a post on this page, but I don't understand how the Southern differ from the Mexican?Inquiring Minds NEED to know !!
Grillmeister
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Tamales 2006/12/18 10:20:42 (permalink)

Interesting sidenote: Our local tamale place (Lupe's in Sherman, TX) has installed wi-fi! Oh, this place is the real deal alright...I'm guessing there is an assimilated techie relative or something. Nothing is better on the 'ol laptop keyboard than chili!

I would also like to learn about that southern tamale thing....
Texianjoe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 639
RE: Tamales 2006/12/18 11:32:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I am in Houston looking for some good tamales. I understand that Texas Tamales are very good but I have been unable to find them except in the grocery store.

For those that know Houston, I would prefer to find a place close to South Main St.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Texas Tamale Co. used to be good but I haven't tried them in several years. They are on Fountainview which is the second exit on 59s just outside the loop, you make a right and it's a couple of blocks on the left. The corp. office is on Knight road around the corner from the Med. Ctr. but I think they are just offices. H.E.B. Mi Tienda sells tamales but I haven't tried them. I will try to do so soon and let you know how it goes. Their menudo is very good.

http://www.texastamale.com/

joe
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Tamales 2006/12/18 14:10:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grillmeister

Interesting sidenote: Our local tamale place (Lupe's in Sherman, TX) has installed wi-fi! Oh, this place is the real deal alright...I'm guessing there is an assimilated techie relative or something. Nothing is better on the 'ol laptop keyboard than chili!

I would also like to learn about that southern tamale thing....

Don't know nothin bout them suthun tamales, but did a google and found an entire website devoted to Southern Tamales, with the history, the "trail" and more. Seems like they are same as Mexican tamales but somehow wound up as a Delta food! Read on:

www.tamaletrail.com
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Tamales 2006/12/18 16:01:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Texianjoe

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Texas Tamale Co. used to be good but I haven't tried them in several years. They are on Fountainview which is the second exit on 59s just outside the loop, you make a right and it's a couple of blocks on the left. The corp. office is on Knight road around the corner from the Med. Ctr. but I think they are just offices. H.E.B. Mi Tienda sells tamales but I haven't tried them. I will try to do so soon and let you know how it goes. Their menudo is very good.

http://www.texastamale.com/

joe

Due to this thread on roadfood, I decided to take a short drive over to Fountain View to check out Texas Tamale. I expected it to be a huge place due to the fact that they supply a lot of stores in Houston. It was a small hole in the wall place. Perhaps they make most of their tamales at their corporate location?

I do not have a lot of experience with tamales but their's was tasty served with rice, cheese and some sauce with chips. I got four tamales that were very small for $5.00. They were very spicy.

I also got a beef taco which was very good and served as chunks of beef with some lettuce and sour cream.

As expected, the place was totally Hispanic and the service was very good..

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1