Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Tamales

Change Page: < 12345 | Showing page 5 of 5, messages 121 to 127 of 127
Texianjoe

• Total Posts: 639
RE: Tamales Mon, 12/18/06 6:04 PM (permalink)
Thanks for the update, like I said I hadn't tried them in a while. They used to have venison at one time I guess they decided to streamline. There is also Alamo Tamale Co. but they are not in the best parts of town if you are not familiar with the area.

joe

Sundancer7

RE: Tamales Wed, 12/20/06 8:47 PM (permalink)
    Another thing that puzzles me about regional tamales is their size.

In East Tennessee, the tamales are big and fat a little bit like the size of a ear of boiled corn and everyone I have had in Texas has been cigar sized.

There is a lady that Fred Sauceman has written about in Knoxville that runs a place called Mary's Tamales on Magnolia. Hers originated in Mississippi and are also very small. They have a slightly peculiar sour cinnamon taste to them. They are still very good.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
      RE: Tamales Thu, 12/21/06 9:58 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Sundancer7

Another thing that puzzles me about regional tamales is their size.

In East Tennessee, the tamales are big and fat a little bit like the size of a ear of boiled corn and everyone I have had in Texas has been cigar sized.

New Mexico also has small tamales. They are made by the Hispanic families and also the Native American families. I didn't know they were so large east of the Mississippi.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Tamales Thu, 12/21/06 10:29 AM (permalink)

In our community on the High Desert of SoCal (Hesperia), we had a number of street corner venders selling tamales. Pork-Beef-Chicken were the usual choices. One Mexican Restaurant, Casa Delicioso located under the Main St overpass, next to the Santa Fe RR tracks is well regarded in the area for some really good Mexican Food. At this time of year they have a Tamale production Line working almost around the clock to fill the orders for Tamales for the Christmas suppers. Those Tamales were kind of flattend, looking a bit like a 'Runza' wrapped in corn husks, about 5 inches long and maybe 2.5 inches at the widest, across. They are the best Tamales I have ever enjoyed.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
          RE: Tamales Thu, 12/21/06 11:38 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by joeoftexas

In Dallas, TX
          try:

http://lapopulartamales.com/

La Popular Tamale House
          5004 Columbia at Munger, suite 103
          Dallas, TX 75214
          Phone: 214-824-7617

Thanks, JoeofTexas. I'm going to place an order for pork tamales from these folks for Christmas.

Sundancer7

RE: Tamales Thu, 12/21/06 1:30 PM (permalink)
            The Residence Inn I am staying at in Houston is huge with about 300 suites. The entire staff is almost Hispanic and from about every country south of the border.

One of the guys felt sorry for me and invited me to his El Salvordorian residence where they were feasting with their other friends and having dinner that is particular to their country. They will be having many types of tamales along with their native beer.

I am looking forward to it.

Paul E. Smith
            Knoxville, TN

Cinnabonbon

• Total Posts: 149
              RE: Tamales Fri, 12/22/06 1:00 AM (permalink)
              In reply to the question about regional thing, I guess it just depends on who taught you to make tamales & what you prefer. I make mine the basic way. I purchase unprepared masa & add stuff to make it taste good such as broth, green salsa & salt. I spread a thin layer of masa evenly & place the filling inside & fold it up. My fillings vary, sometimes I make chicken with red chili sauce, beef with red chili sauce or my most requested which is cheese with green chili. Sometimes I add olives sometimes I don't. Mine are around 4 to 5 inches long & 3 inches wide. My sister doesn't like the spreading bit so she takes a pile of masa & puts the filling on top. My friend & her family makes small tube type tamals, her corn masa is very thin. Another friend uses the mixtal? mix which taste too tangy for me. My Mother in law makes large tamales with chunks of pork & spicy red chili sauce. She uses prepared masa & doesn't add anything to the masa. All are very good but are these all consider CA style since we are in CA?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                Change Page: < 12345 | Showing page 5 of 5, messages 121 to 127 of 127

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com