Tamales

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
colt45
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
2004/05/09 20:33:16 (permalink)

Tamales

I'm in search for the greatest Tamale ever made!!

I cannot find a decent tamale here in AZ ( Phoenix, Prescott, or Flagstaff area).

Best I've found were Manuels in New Orleans & Alamo in Houston

Any Suggestions?

126 Replies Related Threads

carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Tamales 2004/09/30 20:55:49 (permalink)
    I'm surprised to hear there are no good tamale places in AZ. Who'da thunk?
    I had some excellent Cuban tamales in Miami last month. Guy who made them said they do a little something different with the corn in preparation which makes them different from Mexican style and he put a garlic sauce on top and man was it good!!

carl reitz
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Tamales 2004/10/01 21:59:20 (permalink)
    Alamo tamales are carried by several grocery store chains here and by Sam's. Have you checked at your nearest Sam's?

They're also available by mail order:

http://www.alamotamale.com/

...and, they also make tamales under different labels so you may have some Alamo tamales in your city under a different name.

I've bought a different brand at the market here that I liked better, but I can't remember the name.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Tamales 2004/10/02 00:50:02 (permalink)
    Best tamales in the world are from Pedro's Tamales in Lubbock, TX. There is no contest.

www.tamale.com for mail-order, and they're available in many southwestern supermarkets.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Tamales 2004/10/02 02:46:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

I'm surprised to hear there are no good tamale places in AZ. Who'da thunk?
    carl reitz

He didn't say there are no good tamales in AZ. He said he couldn't find any in the Anglo part of the state--which doesn't surprise me much. I suspect he'd have better luck in Tucson or Nogales, but I can't say I've searched for them so I can't say exactly where he'd find 'em. Best I've had were probably at Casa Aguila in San Francisco, now sadly defunct, or possibly at my friend R. Hernandez's annual Christmas party (made by himself).
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Tamales 2004/10/02 08:10:10 (permalink)
    Hi Colt45.....try the little market in Guadalupe, which is tucked into a bit of Phoenix/Tempe....they make their own tamales and they are so very good. The market itself is very good also with great fresh produce, etc. Loved shopping there when we lived in Tempe.

Also, at Christmas time, lots of places make tamales to be sold at that time especially. They are labor intensive so really aren't readily available all the time. But the market in Guadalupe has them all the time, unless they have stopped making them in the last 4-5 years, which I doubt since it is a little Indian/Mexican town.

Donna
    carlton pierre
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 09:48:51 (permalink)
    There's a neat little place in Knoxville, on Central Ave, called Time Warp Deli. Rather interesting decor, right out of the 50's, but with a motorcycle flair. They serve a great Full House, which is a tamale (s) in a big bowl of chile.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13521
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 09:52:49 (permalink)
    quote:

There's a neat little place in Knoxville, on Central Ave, called Time Warp Deli. Rather interesting decor, right out of the 50's, but with a motorcycle flair. They serve a great Full House, which is a tamale (s) in a big bowl of chile.

Where on Central Ave is this place right out of the 50's with a motorcycle flair that serves a great full house?

Thanks
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 10:32:33 (permalink)
    Does anyone know how to MAKE a great tamale? I offered to make a friend anything he wanted for his birthday - his reply - tamales [|)]. I have never made one in my life and research I did ranges from the ridiculously complicated to very unclear - again - [|)].
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 11:56:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    aleswench
    Cheeseburger

174 Posts
    Posted - 12/16/2004 : 10:32:33
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know how to MAKE a great tamale? I offered to make a friend anything he wanted for his birthday - his reply - tamales . I have never made one in my life and research I did ranges from the ridiculously complicated to very unclear - again -

Tamales at Christmas /New Years..........wow what a wonderful treat ... but
    A gringo making tamales is like an Eskimo making pierogies or a Scandinavian making egg rolls ........... it's just one of those food preparation things that is learned and then passed down from generation to generation something your Mom or Grandma would have taught you as a little child.

You just don't wake up one morning and decide to make tamales or walk across the Grand Canyon on a tight rope.

With almost half of our population being of Mexican heritage, we here in San Jose, CA are blessed with so many good tamale makers. Seams like every other house hold is making tamales. At Christmas time we have folks selling them out in the street and shopping center parking lots................
    alesench...... I wish you luck. Do you think you friend would settle for a tamale pie? They are a heck of a lot easier to make............ Frank C
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4633
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 12:01:59 (permalink)
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=495

This is what you want, AW.
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 12:11:50 (permalink)
    I think someone in another thread mentioned the green chile/cheese tamales sold at Trader Joe's in the frozen case. They are very good as are the chicken/cheese tamales there also.

I love tamales and have always wanted to try to make them but I'm turned off by the very labor intensive method of making them.

Hope you find some tasty ones.

Donna
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4633
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 12:18:16 (permalink)
    To respond to Colt .45's query, my answer would be Restaurant Mexico in
    downtown Tempe, if it is as good at all as it was when I left the Valley of the Sun. Mexico City /central mexico style- wonderful. Green Corn Tamales and Enchiladas Suiza were their specialties back then, + a mean chile verde. Subtle sauces and salsas.

http://phoenix.citysearch.com/profile/1697179/tempe_az/restaurant_mexico.html?cslink=search_name_noncust&ulink=search_2_searchslot2_520__0_profile_2_1
    carlton pierre
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 12:25:39 (permalink)
    Paul,

Time Warp Deli on Central, near the Baxter Ave as I recall. Down the street, same side of the street as Freeze-O. The guy has really fixed the place up on the inside. I'm sure you will like it.
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 12:43:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    bill voss

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=495

This is what you want, AW.

Bill. Thanks for the Tamale link. Some real great reading........... "every thing you always wanted to know but were afraid to ask"
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 13:09:38 (permalink)
    quote:

Paul,

Time Warp Deli on Central, near the Baxter Ave as I recall. Down the street, same side of the street as Freeze-O. The guy has really fixed the place up on the inside. I'm sure you will like it.

Carlton: Thanks for the location and I will visit due to your thoughts. It is very difficult to find a decent chili and tamale in Knoxville

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    carlton pierre
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 14:13:43 (permalink)
    You won't go wrong with Time Warp. I've always wanted to go to Mary's on Magnolia, but it's been closed or I could not find a place to park. She is supposed to be best tamale maker around these parts.
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 14:21:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

quote:
    aleswench
    Cheeseburger

174 Posts
    Posted - 12/16/2004 : 10:32:33
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know how to MAKE a great tamale? I offered to make a friend anything he wanted for his birthday - his reply - tamales . I have never made one in my life and research I did ranges from the ridiculously complicated to very unclear - again -

Tamales at Christmas /New Years..........wow what a wonderful treat ... but
    A gringo making tamales is like an Eskimo making pierogies or a Scandinavian making egg rolls ........... it's just one of those food preparation things that is learned and then passed down from generation to generation something your Mom or Grandma would have taught you as a little child.

You just don't wake up one morning and decide to make tamales or walk across the Grand Canyon on a tight rope.

With almost half of our population being of Mexican heritage, we here in San Jose, CA are blessed with so many good tamale makers. Seams like every other house hold is making tamales. At Christmas time we have folks selling them out in the street and shopping center parking lots................
    alesench...... I wish you luck. Do you think you friend would settle for a tamale pie? They are a heck of a lot easier to make............ Frank C

Had a feeling I was way outta my league! You're right - it must be an art. I'm looking at the other links posted too though - I might give it a shot. The guy I'd make them for isn't exactly James Beard -maybe I can "fool" him into thinking they are actually good You're so lucky to live where you live and all that great food!
    carlton pierre
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 14:22:18 (permalink)
    Looks like somebody needs to start another thread about Tamales soon.
    aleswench
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 14:26:55 (permalink)
    UHHHHHH just read EliseT's recipe on the other tamale thread - Holy Moses - won't be making them from scratch anytime soon - sounds awesome, but I think it would take me an entire day to do them! Mail order.....that's the way to go!
    carlton pierre
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 14:29:55 (permalink)
    I agree, they are SO much work and effort I can't see myself doing it. I stick with things that are easy and let others do the hard work, like tamales.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 15:36:43 (permalink)
    quote:

You won't go wrong with Time Warp. I've always wanted to go to Mary's on Magnolia, but it's been closed or I could not find a place to park. She is supposed to be best tamale maker around these parts.

OK, where is Mary's on Magnolia at?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 16:11:18 (permalink)
    Our tamale lady comes around to our office every Friday. She pushes her baby in a buggy with the tamales piled on top. She doesn't speak any English, and our Spanish is less than fluent, so sometimes our communications are a little garbled.

She only makes chicken - 6.00 a dozen, every Friday like clockwork. We bought a little teddy bear to give to her tomorrow. Para el bebe de Papa Noel.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 16:13:49 (permalink)
    Originally posted by Lone Star

Our tamale lady comes around to our office every Friday. She pushes her baby in a buggy with the tamales piled on top. She doesn't speak any English, and our Spanish is less than fluent, so sometimes our communications are a little garbled.

She only makes chicken - 6.00 a dozen, every Friday like clockwork. We bought a little teddy bear to give to her tomorrow. Para el bebe do Papa Noel.

I sincerely wish we had a tamale lady in Knoxville. It will not happen. We have no such luxury around this part of the hills.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Lone Star
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 16:45:10 (permalink)
    Paul, there are a lot of latina ladies here that peddle their tamales. The lucky ones get a regular route, kind of like a milk man, and some are a relative of someone you work with who will make them when they need extra money and will take orders.

I even bought a dozen one year at Christmas time from a lady selling them outside of Neiman-Marcus at the Galleria.

You would think people would hesitate about buying food from perfect strangers, but everybody does it, especially on Fridays. I have never had a bad tamale or been made ill.

It is a good source of some income for these ladies and their families. Kind of like "egg money" in the old days.
    Lone Star
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 16:46:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

She only makes chicken - 6.00 a dozen, every Friday like clockwork. We bought a little teddy bear to give to her tomorrow. Para el bebe do Papa Noel.

I sincerely wish we had a tamale lady in Knoxville. It will not happen. We have no such luxury around this part of the hills.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I see an idea for Red for a start up business!
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 17:38:58 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I see an idea for Red for a start up business!

But, (big qestion) where is Red gonna get the baby for the baby carriage?????
    Lone Star
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/16 17:43:38 (permalink)
    Oops! Did not think of that... isn't she kind of a strumpet anyway??
    Lone Star
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/17 11:21:21 (permalink)
    The tamale lady just came, and she made "puerco", pork tamales this time too! I bought two dozen of each. She is such a nice lady, and between our concerted efforts, we always manage to have a little conversation.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Tamales 2004/12/17 11:41:47 (permalink)
    quote:

The tamale lady just came, and she made "puerco", pork tamales this time too! I bought two dozen of each. She is such a nice lady, and between our concerted efforts, we always manage to have a little conversation.

Im jealous---oh i can get tamales---but SIX DOLLARS A DOZEN!!!!! Im paying Ten---but i must admit---they are worth every dime of it and nice big ones too!!!
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1