The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Tamales

Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 30 of 127
Author Message
colt45

  • Total Posts: 29
  • Joined: 5/7/2004
  • Location: sedona, AZ
Tamales Sun, 05/9/04 8:33 PM (permalink)
I'm in search for the greatest Tamale ever made!!

I cannot find a decent tamale here in AZ ( Phoenix, Prescott, or Flagstaff area).

Best I've found were Manuels in New Orleans & Alamo in Houston

Any Suggestions?
 
#1
    carlton pierre

    • Total Posts: 2500
    • Joined: 7/12/2004
    • Location: Knoxville, TN
    RE: Tamales Thu, 09/30/04 8:55 PM (permalink)
    I'm surprised to hear there are no good tamale places in AZ. Who'da thunk?
    I had some excellent Cuban tamales in Miami last month. Guy who made them said they do a little something different with the corn in preparation which makes them different from Mexican style and he put a garlic sauce on top and man was it good!!

    carl reitz
     
    #2
      hermitt4d

      • Total Posts: 367
      • Joined: 8/4/2003
      • Location: Houston, TX
      RE: Tamales Fri, 10/1/04 9:59 PM (permalink)
      Alamo tamales are carried by several grocery store chains here and by Sam's. Have you checked at your nearest Sam's?

      They're also available by mail order:

      http://www.alamotamale.com/

      ...and, they also make tamales under different labels so you may have some Alamo tamales in your city under a different name.

      I've bought a different brand at the market here that I liked better, but I can't remember the name.
       
      #3
        Lucky Bishop

        • Total Posts: 1049
        • Joined: 6/9/2003
        • Location: Allston, MA
        RE: Tamales Sat, 10/2/04 12:50 AM (permalink)
        Best tamales in the world are from Pedro's Tamales in Lubbock, TX. There is no contest.

        www.tamale.com for mail-order, and they're available in many southwestern supermarkets.
         
        #4
          BT

          • Total Posts: 3589
          • Joined: 7/3/2004
          • Location: San Francisco, CA
          RE: Tamales Sat, 10/2/04 2:46 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by carlton pierre

          I'm surprised to hear there are no good tamale places in AZ. Who'da thunk?
          carl reitz


          He didn't say there are no good tamales in AZ. He said he couldn't find any in the Anglo part of the state--which doesn't surprise me much. I suspect he'd have better luck in Tucson or Nogales, but I can't say I've searched for them so I can't say exactly where he'd find 'em. Best I've had were probably at Casa Aguila in San Francisco, now sadly defunct, or possibly at my friend R. Hernandez's annual Christmas party (made by himself).
           
          #5
            Donna Douglass

            • Total Posts: 508
            • Joined: 8/22/2000
            • Location: Columbus, OH
            RE: Tamales Sat, 10/2/04 8:10 AM (permalink)
            Hi Colt45.....try the little market in Guadalupe, which is tucked into a bit of Phoenix/Tempe....they make their own tamales and they are so very good. The market itself is very good also with great fresh produce, etc. Loved shopping there when we lived in Tempe.

            Also, at Christmas time, lots of places make tamales to be sold at that time especially. They are labor intensive so really aren't readily available all the time. But the market in Guadalupe has them all the time, unless they have stopped making them in the last 4-5 years, which I doubt since it is a little Indian/Mexican town.

            Donna
             
            #6
              carlton pierre

              • Total Posts: 2500
              • Joined: 7/12/2004
              • Location: Knoxville, TN
              RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 9:48 AM (permalink)
              There's a neat little place in Knoxville, on Central Ave, called Time Warp Deli. Rather interesting decor, right out of the 50's, but with a motorcycle flair. They serve a great Full House, which is a tamale (s) in a big bowl of chile.
               
              #7
                Sundancer7

                RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 9:52 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by carlton pierre

                There's a neat little place in Knoxville, on Central Ave, called Time Warp Deli. Rather interesting decor, right out of the 50's, but with a motorcycle flair. They serve a great Full House, which is a tamale (s) in a big bowl of chile.



                Where on Central Ave is this place right out of the 50's with a motorcycle flair that serves a great full house?

                Thanks
                Paul E. Smith
                Knoxville, TN
                 
                #8
                  aleswench

                  • Total Posts: 686
                  • Joined: 2/18/2004
                  • Location: Franklin, NJ
                  RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 10:32 AM (permalink)
                  Does anyone know how to MAKE a great tamale? I offered to make a friend anything he wanted for his birthday - his reply - tamales [|)]. I have never made one in my life and research I did ranges from the ridiculously complicated to very unclear - again - [|)].
                   
                  #9
                    sizz

                    • Total Posts: 1682
                    • Joined: 2/12/2004
                    • Location: San Jose, CA
                    RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 11:56 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    aleswench
                    Cheeseburger



                    174 Posts
                    Posted - 12/16/2004 : 10:32:33
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                    Does anyone know how to MAKE a great tamale? I offered to make a friend anything he wanted for his birthday - his reply - tamales . I have never made one in my life and research I did ranges from the ridiculously complicated to very unclear - again -


                    Tamales at Christmas /New Years..........wow what a wonderful treat ... but
                    A gringo making tamales is like an Eskimo making pierogies or a Scandinavian making egg rolls ........... it's just one of those food preparation things that is learned and then passed down from generation to generation something your Mom or Grandma would have taught you as a little child.

                    You just don't wake up one morning and decide to make tamales or walk across the Grand Canyon on a tight rope.

                    With almost half of our population being of Mexican heritage, we here in San Jose, CA are blessed with so many good tamale makers. Seams like every other house hold is making tamales. At Christmas time we have folks selling them out in the street and shopping center parking lots................
                    alesench...... I wish you luck. Do you think you friend would settle for a tamale pie? They are a heck of a lot easier to make............ Frank C
                     
                    #10
                      1bbqboy

                      • Total Posts: 4542
                      • Joined: 11/20/2000
                      • Location: Rogue Valley
                      RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 12:01 PM (permalink)
                       
                      #11
                        Donna Douglass

                        • Total Posts: 508
                        • Joined: 8/22/2000
                        • Location: Columbus, OH
                        RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 12:11 PM (permalink)
                        I think someone in another thread mentioned the green chile/cheese tamales sold at Trader Joe's in the frozen case. They are very good as are the chicken/cheese tamales there also.

                        I love tamales and have always wanted to try to make them but I'm turned off by the very labor intensive method of making them.

                        Hope you find some tasty ones.

                        Donna
                         
                        #12
                          1bbqboy

                          • Total Posts: 4542
                          • Joined: 11/20/2000
                          • Location: Rogue Valley
                          RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 12:18 PM (permalink)
                          To respond to Colt .45's query, my answer would be Restaurant Mexico in
                          downtown Tempe, if it is as good at all as it was when I left the Valley of the Sun. Mexico City /central mexico style- wonderful. Green Corn Tamales and Enchiladas Suiza were their specialties back then, + a mean chile verde. Subtle sauces and salsas.

                          http://phoenix.citysearch.com/profile/1697179/tempe_az/restaurant_mexico.html?cslink=search_name_noncust&ulink=search_2_searchslot2_520__0_profile_2_1
                           
                          #13
                            carlton pierre

                            • Total Posts: 2500
                            • Joined: 7/12/2004
                            • Location: Knoxville, TN
                            RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 12:25 PM (permalink)
                            Paul,

                            Time Warp Deli on Central, near the Baxter Ave as I recall. Down the street, same side of the street as Freeze-O. The guy has really fixed the place up on the inside. I'm sure you will like it.
                             
                            #14
                              sizz

                              • Total Posts: 1682
                              • Joined: 2/12/2004
                              • Location: San Jose, CA
                              RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 12:43 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              bill voss

                              http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=495

                              This is what you want, AW.


                              Bill. Thanks for the Tamale link. Some real great reading........... "every thing you always wanted to know but were afraid to ask"
                               
                              #15
                                Sundancer7

                                RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 1:09 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by carlton pierre

                                Paul,

                                Time Warp Deli on Central, near the Baxter Ave as I recall. Down the street, same side of the street as Freeze-O. The guy has really fixed the place up on the inside. I'm sure you will like it.


                                Carlton: Thanks for the location and I will visit due to your thoughts. It is very difficult to find a decent chili and tamale in Knoxville

                                Paul E. Smith
                                Knoxville, TN
                                 
                                #16
                                  carlton pierre

                                  • Total Posts: 2500
                                  • Joined: 7/12/2004
                                  • Location: Knoxville, TN
                                  RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 2:13 PM (permalink)
                                  You won't go wrong with Time Warp. I've always wanted to go to Mary's on Magnolia, but it's been closed or I could not find a place to park. She is supposed to be best tamale maker around these parts.
                                   
                                  #17
                                    aleswench

                                    • Total Posts: 686
                                    • Joined: 2/18/2004
                                    • Location: Franklin, NJ
                                    RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 2:21 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by fpczyz

                                    quote:
                                    aleswench
                                    Cheeseburger



                                    174 Posts
                                    Posted - 12/16/2004 : 10:32:33
                                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                    Does anyone know how to MAKE a great tamale? I offered to make a friend anything he wanted for his birthday - his reply - tamales . I have never made one in my life and research I did ranges from the ridiculously complicated to very unclear - again -


                                    Tamales at Christmas /New Years..........wow what a wonderful treat ... but
                                    A gringo making tamales is like an Eskimo making pierogies or a Scandinavian making egg rolls ........... it's just one of those food preparation things that is learned and then passed down from generation to generation something your Mom or Grandma would have taught you as a little child.

                                    You just don't wake up one morning and decide to make tamales or walk across the Grand Canyon on a tight rope.

                                    With almost half of our population being of Mexican heritage, we here in San Jose, CA are blessed with so many good tamale makers. Seams like every other house hold is making tamales. At Christmas time we have folks selling them out in the street and shopping center parking lots................
                                    alesench...... I wish you luck. Do you think you friend would settle for a tamale pie? They are a heck of a lot easier to make............ Frank C


                                    Had a feeling I was way outta my league! You're right - it must be an art. I'm looking at the other links posted too though - I might give it a shot. The guy I'd make them for isn't exactly James Beard -maybe I can "fool" him into thinking they are actually good You're so lucky to live where you live and all that great food!
                                     
                                    #18
                                      carlton pierre

                                      • Total Posts: 2500
                                      • Joined: 7/12/2004
                                      • Location: Knoxville, TN
                                      RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 2:22 PM (permalink)
                                      Looks like somebody needs to start another thread about Tamales soon.
                                       
                                      #19
                                        aleswench

                                        • Total Posts: 686
                                        • Joined: 2/18/2004
                                        • Location: Franklin, NJ
                                        RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 2:26 PM (permalink)
                                        UHHHHHH just read EliseT's recipe on the other tamale thread - Holy Moses - won't be making them from scratch anytime soon - sounds awesome, but I think it would take me an entire day to do them! Mail order.....that's the way to go!
                                         
                                        #20
                                          carlton pierre

                                          • Total Posts: 2500
                                          • Joined: 7/12/2004
                                          • Location: Knoxville, TN
                                          RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 2:29 PM (permalink)
                                          I agree, they are SO much work and effort I can't see myself doing it. I stick with things that are easy and let others do the hard work, like tamales.
                                           
                                          #21
                                            Sundancer7

                                            RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 3:36 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by carlton pierre

                                            You won't go wrong with Time Warp. I've always wanted to go to Mary's on Magnolia, but it's been closed or I could not find a place to park. She is supposed to be best tamale maker around these parts.


                                            OK, where is Mary's on Magnolia at?

                                            Paul E. Smith
                                            Knoxville, TN
                                             
                                            #22
                                              Lone Star

                                              • Total Posts: 1730
                                              • Joined: 5/22/2003
                                              • Location: Houston, TX
                                              RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 4:11 PM (permalink)
                                              Our tamale lady comes around to our office every Friday. She pushes her baby in a buggy with the tamales piled on top. She doesn't speak any English, and our Spanish is less than fluent, so sometimes our communications are a little garbled.

                                              She only makes chicken - 6.00 a dozen, every Friday like clockwork. We bought a little teddy bear to give to her tomorrow. Para el bebe de Papa Noel.

                                               
                                              #23
                                                Sundancer7

                                                RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 4:13 PM (permalink)

                                                Originally posted by Lone Star

                                                Our tamale lady comes around to our office every Friday. She pushes her baby in a buggy with the tamales piled on top. She doesn't speak any English, and our Spanish is less than fluent, so sometimes our communications are a little garbled.

                                                She only makes chicken - 6.00 a dozen, every Friday like clockwork. We bought a little teddy bear to give to her tomorrow. Para el bebe do Papa Noel.

                                                I sincerely wish we had a tamale lady in Knoxville. It will not happen. We have no such luxury around this part of the hills.

                                                Paul E. Smith
                                                Knoxville, TN
                                                 
                                                #24
                                                  Lone Star

                                                  • Total Posts: 1730
                                                  • Joined: 5/22/2003
                                                  • Location: Houston, TX
                                                  RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 4:45 PM (permalink)
                                                  Paul, there are a lot of latina ladies here that peddle their tamales. The lucky ones get a regular route, kind of like a milk man, and some are a relative of someone you work with who will make them when they need extra money and will take orders.

                                                  I even bought a dozen one year at Christmas time from a lady selling them outside of Neiman-Marcus at the Galleria.

                                                  You would think people would hesitate about buying food from perfect strangers, but everybody does it, especially on Fridays. I have never had a bad tamale or been made ill.

                                                  It is a good source of some income for these ladies and their families. Kind of like "egg money" in the old days.
                                                   
                                                  #25
                                                    Lone Star

                                                    • Total Posts: 1730
                                                    • Joined: 5/22/2003
                                                    • Location: Houston, TX
                                                    RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 4:46 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Sundancer7


                                                    Originally posted by Lone Star

                                                    Our tamale lady comes around to our office every Friday. She pushes her baby in a buggy with the tamales piled on top. She doesn't speak any English, and our Spanish is less than fluent, so sometimes our communications are a little garbled.

                                                    She only makes chicken - 6.00 a dozen, every Friday like clockwork. We bought a little teddy bear to give to her tomorrow. Para el bebe do Papa Noel.

                                                    I sincerely wish we had a tamale lady in Knoxville. It will not happen. We have no such luxury around this part of the hills.

                                                    Paul E. Smith
                                                    Knoxville, TN


                                                    I see an idea for Red for a start up business!
                                                     
                                                    #26
                                                      chezkatie

                                                      • Total Posts: 1329
                                                      • Joined: 6/24/2001
                                                      • Location: Baltimore and Florida,
                                                      RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 5:38 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by Lone Star

                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by Sundancer7


                                                      Originally posted by Lone Star

                                                      Our tamale lady comes around to our office every Friday. She pushes her baby in a buggy with the tamales piled on top. She doesn't speak any English, and our Spanish is less than fluent, so sometimes our communications are a little garbled.

                                                      She only makes chicken - 6.00 a dozen, every Friday like clockwork. We bought a little teddy bear to give to her tomorrow. Para el bebe do Papa Noel.

                                                      I sincerely wish we had a tamale lady in Knoxville. It will not happen. We have no such luxury around this part of the hills.

                                                      Paul E. Smith
                                                      Knoxville, TN


                                                      I see an idea for Red for a start up business!


                                                      But, (big qestion) where is Red gonna get the baby for the baby carriage?????
                                                       
                                                      #27
                                                        Lone Star

                                                        • Total Posts: 1730
                                                        • Joined: 5/22/2003
                                                        • Location: Houston, TX
                                                        RE: Tamales Thu, 12/16/04 5:43 PM (permalink)
                                                        Oops! Did not think of that... isn't she kind of a strumpet anyway??
                                                         
                                                        #28
                                                          Lone Star

                                                          • Total Posts: 1730
                                                          • Joined: 5/22/2003
                                                          • Location: Houston, TX
                                                          RE: Tamales Fri, 12/17/04 11:21 AM (permalink)
                                                          The tamale lady just came, and she made "puerco", pork tamales this time too! I bought two dozen of each. She is such a nice lady, and between our concerted efforts, we always manage to have a little conversation.
                                                           
                                                          #29
                                                            tiki

                                                            • Total Posts: 4135
                                                            • Joined: 7/7/2003
                                                            • Location: Rentiesville, OK
                                                            RE: Tamales Fri, 12/17/04 11:41 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Lone Star

                                                            The tamale lady just came, and she made "puerco", pork tamales this time too! I bought two dozen of each. She is such a nice lady, and between our concerted efforts, we always manage to have a little conversation.


                                                            Im jealous---oh i can get tamales---but SIX DOLLARS A DOZEN!!!!! Im paying Ten---but i must admit---they are worth every dime of it and nice big ones too!!!
                                                             
                                                            #30
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 30 of 127

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com