Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe?

Author
evegpt
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
2007/12/13 22:41:46 (permalink)

Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe?

We just bought a tamle making machine and it works very well but the recipe they gave us with the machine is not that good...does anyone have a good recipe for tamles that will go through the machine and not turn out dry? Thanks in advance for your help.

19 Replies Related Threads

BR
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe? 2007/12/13 23:01:04 (permalink)
    I don't have a recipe but where did you get the tamale machine?
    evegpt
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe? 2007/12/13 23:16:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BR

I don't have a recipe but where did you get the tamale machine?

Here from this web site....it works great,,,you can look up the video on youtube and watch it....this mix has to be just so so to go through the machine and we found it to be a bit dry....the filling we used,,tweaking it a little,,,is very good,,,it just wasn't hot enough......

tamaleking.com
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe? 2007/12/14 02:35:51 (permalink)
    Masa can be tricky, probably need to add a little more water to it...
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe? 2007/12/25 02:51:37 (permalink)
    Evegpt... Any results in your recent tests? Did you find something that works?? Maybe try adding some oil??? Don't just show up with a question, let us know whats happening so others can benefit also. :)

amberwave
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe? 2007/12/25 03:45:26 (permalink)
    Here is a tamale recipe from our paper today we had in our paper hope it
    may help! http://www.masbakersfield.com/home/ViewPost/40775
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4608
    RE: Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe? 2007/12/25 10:29:30 (permalink)
    I'm confused. These come out huskless, and then you wrap them? Don't wrap them?
    These are like the ones in a can?(which I love). Do you use lard in the mix?
    We have a Tortilla/Tamale/Salsa factory here in the RV,
    so you can all be envious cuz I don't have to make em, just drive up the street:)

http://www.masbakersfield.com/home/ViewPost/40775
    from the above article, it sounded so good(thanks Amberwave!)
    Linda’s Pork with Chile Colorado Sauce Tamales

Ingredients:
    6 pounds prepared tamale masa
    16-ounce bag of corn husks
    5-6 pound pork butt or shoulder
    10 cloves garlic, chopped
    3 tablespoons cumin seed, crushed
    3 tablespoons peppercorns, crushed
    3 tablespoons coriander seed, crushed
    3 teaspoons dry oregano
    Kosher salt
    3 yellow onions, chopped
    1, 12-ounce bag of California chiles, rinsed
    1, 12-ounce bag of Pasilla chiles, rinsed
    1, 6-ounce bag of Guajillo chiles (hot), rinsed
    3 tablespoons oil (vegetable, olive or canola)
    Makes three dozen tamales

Preparation:
    Day before
    Prepare meat. Cut pork roast in half and then in half again. Put into a large stock pot, fill half full. Add 4 cloves chopped garlic, 1 tablespoon cumin seed, 1 tablespoon ground peppercorns, 1 tablespoon Kosher salt. Cook covered on medium high heat for about 30 minutes. Toss meat around and continue cooking for another hour. Meat should be very tender and easy to shred. Remove meat, placing into a bowl to let cool. Once cooled, wrap in foil and place into zip lock bags and refrigerate.
    Day of
    Purchase fresh masa. Prep onions, garlic, chiles, grind seasonings, peppercorns, cumin seed, and coriander, can be easily done in a coffee grinder. Shred pork meat. Soak corn husks in a hot bath. Let sit and walk away. Can sit for hours or as little as 30 minutes. Remove from water and wrap around towels. Some husks still have silks, can easily be removed with a paper napkin.
    Making Chile Colorado Sauce
    Put rinsed chiles into a large stockpot. Cover with water and boil 15 - 20 minutes, occasionally stirring and pushing down the chiles on top of pot. Chiles will become soft. Remove from pot and put in a glass or plastic bowl, not steel, as you want them to cool down quickly.
    While chiles are cooling, in a large pot, add 3 tablespoons oil. Heat on medium to high heat, add chopped onions and cook, stirring for about 10 minutes until soft and translucent. Add 6 cloves chopped garlic and cook for another minute. Add 2 tablespoons ground cumin seed, 2 tablespoons coriander, 2 tablespoons pepper and oregano. Cook for 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.
    Meanwhile, assign someone to shred pork. Instruct them to remove all the fat.
    Add the shredded meat to the sauce and let simmer for 30 minutes.
    Spreading masa on corn husks
    Assign a team to get started with this. Husks are removed from water and patted dry. Lay on towel to absorb the remaining water. The husks have a smooth side and a textured side. Place the husk with the textured side on the palm of your hand, slightly cupping the husk. With a rubber spatula, drop about 2-3 ounces of masa on the middle of the husk. Spread downward from the middle, and to the side on the bottom wide edge. The top 1/3 narrow end of the husk does not get spread with masa. Stack husks on top of each other until ready to be filled.
    Filling the tamale husk
    Add 1 or 2 spoonfuls of meat filling in center of tamale. Wrap one side toward the middle and the other side to overlap the middle. The masa acts like glue. Then fold the top 1/3 of husk down toward the middle seam. Place tamales in tamale can.
    Steaming tamales
    Fill can up to water line and place rack in pan. Put tamales standing up with folded end down and exposed end upward. Work your way around the inside of can, circular and moving inward as the can is filling up with tamales. When bottom layer is full, stack on top in the same manner. Layer top of tamales with some of the wet corn husks to maintain moisture in can. Cover and cook. No tamale can? Use a steamer basket and line bottom of large pot with corn husks. Add a few inches of water and layer tamales same way. Heat should be low to medium and water needs to be added frequently.
    Cook on medium high heat for 20 minutes, reduce heat to medium low. Cooks in 1 to 1 and a 1/2 hours. Add a little water midway to ensure the can does not dry out.
    I have been told to place a copper penny in the bottom of the can — when you don’t hear the penny rattling this is a good indicator you need to add water.
    Remove from the pan and place on a platter. Serve with rice and beans and a green salad. Enjoy![
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe? 2007/12/26 08:45:18 (permalink)
    Water makes it mushy and hard to work. Try using more lard if it is to dry, it makes it more plyable.
    joe
    tustinthug
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe? 2008/01/14 19:28:43 (permalink)
    I second that question, where did you get that tamale making machine, when you live in Florida you need all the help you can get for tamales.
    BR
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe? 2008/01/16 17:05:20 (permalink)
    In case you haven't figured it out yet it's...

tamaleking.com
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe? 2008/01/16 17:19:54 (permalink)
    Never have heard of a tamale machine.....it is usually a labor intensive project taken on by an entire family around Christmas time and taking several days to make large batches of tamales. My personal tamale machine is named "Maria" and she lives two doors down from me and owns a tortilla factory. Her tamales are delicious with a capital D.

The masa is usually spread on the corn husks, filled with whatever filling one is using, then wrapped and steamed until done. We freeze what we buy from Maria, then just steam them while frozen until they are heated through. Great quick meals. I always loved the canned ones in the red sauce, but these handmade ones are the greatest.

I would never begin to try to make them myself as I'm either too lazy, or too old to begin working that hard again. Good luck with you machine, and enjoy your tamales.

Donna

billy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe? 2008/03/04 00:03:48 (permalink)
    i also own a tamale machine, i love mine, talk about easy to use....truth is i got there blend also but never stuck to it, and yes everything has to be pretty close to the right mixture, mine were dry also...i kept reading steam them for 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. that was my mistake, i made some tonight, steamed them a little over 1 hr at 250 degrees, turned out great....
    i use crisco in my masa and real broth home made from the meat, remember to cool ur meat, whip ur masa good...
    as far as meat i use beef alot right now...i brown it off then boil it for about 2 hrs. with onions and salt. the last batch i made i used a hot chili mix in a pouch i got at the store, that seemed to work pretty good, other times i use alotta chili's plus cumin, and pepper flakes for heat r caynne....
    i think the key is not to steam ur tamales to long that in itself will dry them out, if the husk pulls away clean there done, let set for a couple min. then check...
    if i didn't have the tamale machine no way would i make tamales. Billy
    tacomaker
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe? 2008/04/26 16:41:39 (permalink)
    I found at the local walmart has masa already mixed the only thing you add is water. I used broth of what ever meat i cooked and the broth had enough fat to make the masa very easy to spread. Because of this wonderful web site you all led me to purchase a tamale king. Cant wait till it arrives. Done making them the old way. My mom snarled a little when I told her. when i perfect it ill bring some over to her house and eat. i know my mom, she'll like them.
    gwilliams99
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe? 2008/06/26 20:02:48 (permalink)
    I know this is an old topic now, however I have extensive knowledge of the TamaleKing machine. If anyone has any questions concerning it's pros/cons feel free to ask.
    I also own a Be&sco tamale machine model #40 that I use to make around 60 dozen tamales a week.
    Here is the website http://www.flourtortillamachine.com/
    And heres a video of it in action:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsLtP2rSqPM&feature=related

I am happy to discuss anything tamale related with anyone who is interested in learning about this lost art. My particular interest is in Mississippi Delta style tamales. They are a completely different style of tamale compared to Mexican tamales.

Regards.....
    brittneal
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe? 2008/06/27 05:55:25 (permalink)
    I got an Emeril cook book some years ago. His "innovation" was to mix the seasoned meat with the batter and stuff the whole thing with it. Sort of a scrapple in a corn husk
    yuk
    britt
    hoosiergoob
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe? 2008/07/04 09:34:31 (permalink)
    There's an article in one of the recent cooking mags (Food & Wine?) describing a chef who mixes the meat and masa and then uses plastic wrap instead of corn husks.
    Double yuk, and I am considering allowing my subscrption to lapse.
    Goob
    AnnP2000
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe? 2008/07/17 10:59:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by gwilliams99

I know this is an old topic now, however I have extensive knowledge of the TamaleKing machine. If anyone has any questions concerning it's pros/cons feel free to ask.
    I also own a Be&sco tamale machine model #40 that I use to make around 60 dozen tamales a week.
    Here is the website http://www.flourtortillamachine.com/
    And heres a video of it in action:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsLtP2rSqPM&feature=related

I am happy to discuss anything tamale related with anyone who is interested in learning about this lost art. My particular interest is in Mississippi Delta style tamales. They are a completely different style of tamale compared to Mexican tamales.

Regards.....

Hello,

I'm new to tamale making so I have a few questions. I use cornmeal for my tamale dough rather than mesa because it tastes better. I use a combo of cornmeal and flour (2/3 cup cornmeal and 1/3 cup flour). This is a recipe I made up. The dough comes out pretty good after steaming but if I freeze them, when microwaved they are very mushy. Any suggestions? Also, can you tell me the proper way to mix the dough. Currently I pour boiling hot water into the cornmeal. Do you have a good recipe for the tamale dough using cornmeal. No one likes the mesa version.

Thanks
    gwilliams99
    Junior Burger
    RE: Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe? 2008/07/21 15:45:38 (permalink)
    AnnP2000
    I feel your pain regarding the use of masa in tamales.
    I too have made the choice to use plain white corn meal to make my tamales.
    Have you ever watched Feasting On Asphalt with Alton Brown of Food Network?
    He visited a place called Doe's Eat Place in Mississippi that was famous for their tamales.
    From what I can tell they precook the corn meal before they make the tamales.
    And then they simmer the tamales in water-spices rather than steam them.

From my experience it is hard if not impossible to make a dry corn meal tamale and then cook via steam without it coming out very dry.

I would suggest this as a start for your corn meal.
    1.5 pounds plain white cornmeal
    1 pound lard
    2 tsp salt
    2 tbs Cumin
    3 Cups water to start

Add first 4 ingredients to a double boiler and begin heating on medium heat. Add additional water as needed to keep corn meal wet.

Cook until by taste test the corm meal has become soft and lost its grainy texture. Keep adding water to make sure the corn meal does not dry out during the cooking process.

When corn meal has reached the desired state of softness add the Lard to the pot and continue cooking until the lard has melted into the mixture.

When complete remove from heat and transfer into a container to be placed into the refrigerator for use the next day.

The following day before using the cornmeal remove from the refrigerator and allow it to warm up enough to be mixed either by hand or by a food processor to reincorporate the lard back into the mixture. ( When you placed the corn meal into the refrigerator it was still warm and the lard has the tendency to settle to the bottom of the container.)

You may at this point need to add more water or lard to the mixture. Exactly how much depends on if you are making tamales by hand or machine.

The above recipe will work for Mississippi delta style tamales (simmered in spiced water) or traditional Mexican style (steamed) tamales.

My area of interest is the Delta style simmered in water as they will be a more moist style. From my experience the steam dries out the corn meal.

Traditional Mexican Masa seems to be more forgiving to the steam cooking method,

I hope this give you at least a place to start.

Regards..........

gwilliams99
    Junior Burger
    RE: Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe? 2008/07/21 22:39:58 (permalink)
    AnnP2000
    Here is a link to what is claimed to be the Doe's tamale recipe.
    Apparently Bobby Flay paid him a visit and somehow got a recipe.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/foodnation-with-bobby-flay/tamales-recipe/index.html

I have not tested it yet........but I plan to ASAP.

Regards
    AnnP2000
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Tamales.....tamale machine....recipe? 2008/07/23 18:03:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by gwilliams99

AnnP2000
    I feel your pain regarding the use of masa in tamales.
    I too have made the choice to use plain white corn meal to make my tamales.
    Have you ever watched Feasting On Asphalt with Alton Brown of Food Network?
    He visited a place called Doe's Eat Place in Mississippi that was famous for their tamales.
    From what I can tell they precook the corn meal before they make the tamales.
    And then they simmer the tamales in water-spices rather than steam them.

From my experience it is hard if not impossible to make a dry corn meal tamale and then cook via steam without it coming out very dry.

I would suggest this as a start for your corn meal.
    1.5 pounds plain white cornmeal
    1 pound lard
    2 tsp salt
    2 tbs Cumin
    3 Cups water to start

Add first 4 ingredients to a double boiler and begin heating on medium heat. Add additional water as needed to keep corn meal wet.

Cook until by taste test the corm meal has become soft and lost its grainy texture. Keep adding water to make sure the corn meal does not dry out during the cooking process.

When corn meal has reached the desired state of softness add the Lard to the pot and continue cooking until the lard has melted into the mixture.

When complete remove from heat and transfer into a container to be placed into the refrigerator for use the next day.

The following day before using the cornmeal remove from the refrigerator and allow it to warm up enough to be mixed either by hand or by a food processor to reincorporate the lard back into the mixture. ( When you placed the corn meal into the refrigerator it was still warm and the lard has the tendency to settle to the bottom of the container.)

You may at this point need to add more water or lard to the mixture. Exactly how much depends on if you are making tamales by hand or machine.

The above recipe will work for Mississippi delta style tamales (simmered in spiced water) or traditional Mexican style (steamed) tamales.

My area of interest is the Delta style simmered in water as they will be a more moist style. From my experience the steam dries out the corn meal.

Traditional Mexican Masa seems to be more forgiving to the steam cooking method,

I hope this give you at least a place to start.

Regards..........

Thanks so much. I'll try the recipe you provided.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1