Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Tamalies

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 32
007bond-jb

• Total Posts: 923
Tamalies Tue, 03/6/07 11:28 AM (permalink)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a 50 year old tamale joint here in town they make great greasy hot tamales. You gotta have a iron gullet to eat em
In my younger days I could 2 dozen... not any more though

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Tamalies Tue, 03/6/07 12:41 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 007bond-jb

There is a 50 year old tamale joint here in town they make great greasy hot tamales. You gotta have a iron gullet to eat em

What is your town?
    What's the name of the joint?
    What is that red goop the tamales are soaking in?

007bond-jb

• Total Posts: 923
      RE: Tamalies Tue, 03/6/07 2:07 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Pigiron

quote:

What is your town?
      What's the name of the joint?
      What is that red goop the tamales are soaking in?

Baton Rouge La.
      Muffalettoes tamale kitchen
      spicy hot grease

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
        RE: Tamalies Wed, 03/7/07 12:44 PM (permalink)
        I couldn't view the photos,but the red goo is grease.I don't care for greasy tamales. Here in San Antonio you can get,pork,chicken ,beef,bean and cheese and spicy tamales as well as sweet ones. I found an easy recipe where you can make your own with cornmeal.It is in a book on Tex Mex cooking by Robb Walsh.
        It was quite easy to do >I used however La Victoria enchilda sauce which I mixed into the meat.I should have also added a little salt,but they were pretty good.

rouxdog

• Total Posts: 1421
          RE: Tamalies Sun, 03/11/07 7:07 PM (permalink)
          Hey 007, send me a batch, old rouxdog will chow down!!!
          I'll turn up the volume and dance to some Zydeco!!!!!!!!!

Roadfoodies really should plan an excursion into Kajun Kountry. I'll make the trip to the Red Stick area!
          Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Ciaoman

• Total Posts: 375
            RE: Tamalies Sun, 03/11/07 7:27 PM (permalink)
            Please forgive me: I made the mistake of buying a can of Hormel Beef Tamales. Living up here in the Northeast, I'm guessing that's the closest I'll come to the real thing. I gotta believe the home made article is much, much better. The canned stuff had little discernable flavor or texture...like cornmeal with some dark stuff inside surrounded by reddish, greasy stuff.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
              RE: Tamalies Mon, 03/12/07 4:31 AM (permalink)
              Night and day better. Yesterday I bought a mess of pork tamales and some that are stuffed with strips of braised pasilla chile pepper and tangy white Mexican cheese. Just made that morning. Nothing like fresh.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Tamalies Mon, 03/12/07 4:53 AM (permalink)
                enginecapt, I'm really hating you right about now! Fresh homemade or even really good restaurant tamales are one of the biggest things I miss about Calif.

Ok, Ok I don't hate but boy do I miss the tamales.

MikeS.

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                  RE: Tamalies Mon, 03/12/07 7:50 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by MikeS.

enginecapt, I'm really hating you right about now! Fresh homemade or even really good restaurant tamales are one of the biggest things I miss about Calif.

MikeS.

It always struck me as odd as how tamales made it across the Mississippi River with great popularity, but you'll be damned trying to find any good Mexican food beside that.

I still am looking for a great (not just good) burrito or taco on this side of the river.

mark

booboobirdie

• Total Posts: 143
                    RE: Tamalies Mon, 03/12/07 8:21 AM (permalink)
                    doggydaddy,

If you're ever in the Orange/West Haven area, consider trying Baja on Rt. 1/Boston Post Rd. I'd like to think it would meet your criteria of "great"....it's always very busy, and I think it's some of the best Mexican I've had outside of Mexico.

doggydaddy

RE: Tamalies Mon, 03/12/07 10:45 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by booboobirdie

doggydaddy,

If you're ever in the Orange/West Haven area, consider trying Baja on Rt. 1/Boston Post Rd. I'd like to think it would meet your criteria of "great"....it's always very busy, and I think it's some of the best Mexican I've had outside of Mexico.

You are very correct about Baja. It is the one exception to what I have said and claimed. My problem is that I live way up in Waterbury, and it is sad to think that I have to drive that far to get there. Fortunately, I have to go to the V. A. hospital every other month.

They have a great menu and salsa bar that causes you to try all of them. You need to be careful about filling up on chips before your plate arrives.
                      I go for a large carnitas burrito with a delicious mole sauce.

The Boston Post Road is one of the great routes worth driving(as long as you can put up with stop lights). Many Roadfood selections are on this route. Baja needs to be included, it is that good.

mark

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
                        RE: Tamalies Mon, 03/12/07 1:41 PM (permalink)
                        Doggydaddy, years ago -- the early 1960s -- when I worked at WBRY and WWCO I used to love to get lunch at a greasy spoon downtown, whose name I can't remember, where they always had a pile of reddish-tinted grilled onions on a flat griddle for adding to hotdogs and hamburgers that were always cooking right next to them. The only thing I can remember about the location is that it was on a narrow street that was a slight hill, and the place had a big window where you could look in from the street to see if there was room at the counter.

enginecapt

RE: Tamalies Wed, 03/14/07 4:14 AM (permalink)
                          quote:

MikeS.
                          Oh Mike, please don't hate me just because I'm in an area with one of the highest concentrations of small mom and pop Mexican food restaurants in the country and have almost instant access to the freshest, most delectable and varied types of tamales and other Mexican delicacies that you remember from Fresno not to mention family members who make their own every Christmas........ and you're 3000 miles away.

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

guacshorts

• Total Posts: 78
                            RE: Tamalies Wed, 03/14/07 5:04 AM (permalink)
                            shzattt. thanks for the post. the pics look delish... YUMMMM!!!

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                              RE: Tamalies Wed, 03/14/07 9:06 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by enginecapt

quote:

MikeS.
                              Oh Mike, please don't hate me just because I'm in an area with one of the highest concentrations of small mom and pop Mexican food restaurants in the country and have almost instant access to the freshest, most delectable and varied types of tamales and other Mexican delicacies that you remember from Fresno not to mention family members who make their own every Christmas........ and you're 3000 miles away.

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

There are words for people like you!

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                RE: Tamalies Wed, 03/14/07 12:47 PM (permalink)
                                Hey enginecapt, look at this...

I'd heard that there was a newish taco stand in the town about 11 miles North of me. So since I had to go up there to get my DL renewed before my b'day next week I decided to stop and try it out afterwards.

Turns out they came out here to WV from Calif, San Jose specifically. The taco was pork, Al Pastor and the tamale was chicken. I prefer pork but chicken is all they offer. The taco was really good, just exactly what I wanted. The tamale was good, not great. But hey! A whole lot better then anything else within 80 miles that I've found.

enginecapt

RE: Tamalies Wed, 03/14/07 2:30 PM (permalink)
                                  Congratulations! You're getting there..... Now see if they'll make you some coconut/pineapple
                                  tamales.

mr. sausage

• Total Posts: 75
                                    RE: Tamalies Wed, 03/14/07 5:11 PM (permalink)
                                    My Captain,
                                    very jealous. I live in a barren wasteland as far as mexican food goes (Baton Rouge). I was living in New Orleans until Katrina and they had maybe one good place. Now that I'm here, of course, there are tons of taco wagons popping up in NOLA because of all the workers that came from Mexico and points south. I've tried several and they're a great deal and better than anything in my adopted town.
                                    The good news is I'm moving to Austin with my new wife this spring. I can almost taste the barbacoa...

doggydaddy

RE: Tamalies Wed, 03/14/07 6:02 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Doggydaddy, years ago -- the early 1960s -- when I worked at WBRY and WWCO I used to love to get lunch at a greasy spoon downtown, whose name I can't remember, where they always had a pile of reddish-tinted grilled onions on a flat griddle for adding to hotdogs and hamburgers that were always cooking right next to them. The only thing I can remember about the location is that it was on a narrow street that was a slight hill, and the place had a big window where you could look in from the street to see if there was room at the counter.

HHHmm, downtown location, narrow street, open window and the addition of slight hill add up to a blank from me. I have lived here for only two years, but I have a friend who has lived here forever. Maybe she knows.

mark

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
                                        RE: Tamalies Wed, 03/14/07 6:09 PM (permalink)
                                        Well, as I said, it was a long time ago. Oh, and the window wasn't open. It was just a big storefront window.

enginecapt

RE: Tamalies Wed, 03/14/07 6:37 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by mr. sausage

My Captain,
                                          very jealous. I live in a barren wasteland as far as mexican food goes (Baton Rouge). I was living in New Orleans until Katrina and they had maybe one good place. Now that I'm here, of course, there are tons of taco wagons popping up in NOLA because of all the workers that came from Mexico and points south. I've tried several and they're a great deal and better than anything in my adopted town.
                                          The good news is I'm moving to Austin with my new wife this spring. I can almost taste the barbacoa...
                                          You're heading in the right direction. The southwestier you go, the better your chances at the good stuff. File reports when you start sampling Austin.

naxet76

• Total Posts: 351
                                            RE: Tamalies Mon, 03/19/07 3:44 PM (permalink)
                                            hey Ciaman, on my honor, I will send you a dozen tamales from here in San Antonio...if you want the hook up let me know:
                                            naxet76@yahoo.com Do not even think that you have to settle for canned tamales, that is an abomination!!!!!!!!!!

guacshorts

RE: Tamalies Sun, 03/25/07 7:19 PM (permalink)
                                              Best tamales in the Southwest I have had:

a place in Jerome, AZ 20 miles southwest of Sedona. Can't remember the name... it was a private home/catering/storefront type of place. Anybody know what I am talking about? It was so long ago. Can't find it on the net.

At my mother's work, the cleaning woman, Mexicana, sells them privately as well. I could eat a whole dozen of those pork filled ones in one sitting.

Seems like the best ones IMHO are the family-made tamales, usually "tamalería" style of store-front, rather than a restaurant.

Although, here in Eugene, OR, the local Supermercado Latino has a cafe that serves banana-leaf wrapped pork and chicken tamales that are delicious, huge and only $2.

dickestep

• Total Posts: 533
                                                RE: Tamalies Sun, 03/25/07 9:33 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:

Back when I made my first batch of boudin a lady who lived near me offered a tempting trade. She'd teach me to make tamales, which she sold for a living, if I'd teach her to make boudin. Since I went on to sell three hundred pounds of boudin each week for several years it may have been a good thing I didn't make the trade, but I'd still love to know how.

dickestep

RE: Tamalies Sun, 03/25/07 9:52 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by guacshorts

========================
                                                  At my mother's work, the cleaning woman, Mexicana, sells them privately as well. I could eat a whole dozen of those pork filled ones in one sitting.

Seems like the best ones IMHO are the family-made tamales, usually "tamalería" style of store-front, rather than a restaurant.
                                                  ==========================

That's the way it seems here on the Gulf of Texas. We have one man who comes into our Eagle's Aerie regularly selling pretty good tamales. I've bought as many as six or eight dozen at a time, depending on my alcohol intake. Those I used to get from a relative of a coworker out at DuPont were much better.
                                                  I intend to order a dozen or so plain tamales, no sauce, no cheese, in the shuck, the next time I eat at La Brisas here in Bacliff. I believe I'll forego my usual salted frozen Margarita and have a cerveza instead.
                                                  http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurants/reviews/rsv2699.asp

guacshorts

RE: Tamalies Sun, 03/25/07 10:26 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by dickestep

quote:

========================

That's the way it seems here on the Gulf of Texas. We have one man who comes into our Eagle's Aerie regularly selling pretty good tamales. I've bought as many as six or eight dozen at a time, depending on my alcohol intake. Those I used to get from a relative of a coworker out at DuPont were much better.
                                                    I intend to order a dozen or so plain tamales, no sauce, no cheese, in the shuck, the next time I eat at La Brisas here in Bacliff. I believe I'll forego my usual salted frozen Margarita and have a cerveza instead.

Wow. Thank you so much, dickestep. I will go to La Brisa next month, thanks to you. After my girlfriend's peruvian archaeology conference in Austin, we'll be driving to the Gulf Coast

Now we know one of the destinations! And I WILL order a few dozen tamales, pack them in blue ice and next day air them to my home, hehe. [/ludicrous?]

Any other sights, foods, or sensory intake to partake in around that area (Galveston, Bacliff)?

Thanks for the original thread-post!

dickestep

RE: Tamalies Tue, 03/27/07 4:54 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:

Wow. Thank you so much, dickestep. I will go to La Brisa next month, thanks to you. After my girlfriend's peruvian archaeology conference in Austin, we'll be driving to the Gulf Coast

Now we know one of the destinations! And I WILL order a few dozen tamales, pack them in blue ice and next day air them to my home, hehe. [/ludicrous?]

Any other sights, foods, or sensory intake to partake in around that area (Galveston, Bacliff)?

La Brisa is good on everything. Gaidos in Galveston one of the best I've ever been to on seafood and service. They also own the place next door, where the atmosphere is toned down for the tourist crowds. While you're in the area you might like to ride the Galveston Ferry, which is scenic, plus the "Stingaree" on Bolivar Peninsula is a great dining place.
                                                      There is always the San Jacinto Monument and Battleground, too, right off Interstate 225, at LaPorte. The magnificent Battleship Texas is right there close, as well as the Monument Inn. I've never been disappointed in the food at the Monument Inn, and there's more ferrys docking near there, too.

Texianjoe

• Total Posts: 639
                                                        RE: Tamalies Tue, 03/27/07 5:56 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:

quote:
                                                        Originally posted by dickestep

quote:

========================

There is a thread over in the Where Shoud I eat section on Galveston and the Lake Charles area you can take a look at.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18120

joe

mollydingle

• Total Posts: 221
                                                          • Location: Lawrence, MA
                                                          RE: Tamalies Mon, 04/2/07 5:26 PM (permalink)
                                                          No tamales in this neck of the woods. At least not the ones still wrapped in the cornhusk.The local Mexican reataurant is pretty good, BUT.... NO TAMALES!
                                                          *sigh* Rant over.

scheelski

• Total Posts: 3
                                                            • Location: Orlando, FL
                                                            RE: Tamalies Tue, 04/21/09 12:07 AM (permalink)
                                                            If you get to Houston, try Pappasitos mexican food.  They have delicious tamales and they are not greasy, just spicy enough and you can eat like finger food.  Take it from the tamales lover of Texas, those and most places in San Antonio have the best.   Marc

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 32

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com