Tampa Bay area, Smoked Fish

Author
BarbPick
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
2003/11/01 17:37:43 (permalink)

Tampa Bay area, Smoked Fish

I can't remember the name of this famous place that serves homemade smoked fish, fish dip or salad, also known for it's german potato salad. I think it was in St. Pete Beach. Please Help.

8 Replies Related Threads

RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Tampa Bay area, Smoked Fish 2003/11/01 19:43:10 (permalink)
    Well, the place you are thinking of is called Ted Peters. It is on South Pasadena Ave. in S. Pasadena.

But I am uncertain as to how they are doing their smoking these days. Their smoke house burned about 2-3 weeks ago. They are open and still serving their fantastic burgers, hot german potato sald and ice cold root beer.

Give them a call or head on over. If they don't have their smoked fish spread right now, there are two other places I would recommend. One is Mid-Peninsula Seafood on 49th St. S. at about 9th Ave.. The other is the Crab Shack on Gandy Blvd. in N. St. Petersburg.

Hope this helps.

John
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Tampa Bay area, Smoked Fish 2003/11/01 22:04:31 (permalink)
    Wards Seafood also has some pretty good smoked fish. trouble is, I'm not sure thay smoke it- they may get it from Ted Peters or someplace else...
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Tampa Bay area, Smoked Fish 2003/11/02 00:56:17 (permalink)
    Would the smoked fish spread at Ted Peter's be made from mullet? I have long wanted to try this creation, and nearly got to a few years ago at a place famous for it at Cedar Key, Florida. But weather cancelled our trip over from Gainesville. If not mullet, what kind of fish does Ted Peter's use?
    BarbPick
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Tampa Bay area, Smoked Fish 2003/11/02 07:16:21 (permalink)
    The name I was looking for was Ted Peters and yes one of the fish they featured was mullet.
    Being from South Florida, and having a 17 foot boston whaler, I have caught some red meat fish and have smoked them, with success. I also have learned to smoke salmon in my gas grill, using good wood chips. If anyone would like to hear how I do it, you can contact me at BarbPick@aol.com. I also now have a good recipe for german potato salad. The reason I wanted to remember Ted Peters, is a dear friends has moved to St. Pete.
    Thank you so much for your interest.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Tampa Bay area, Smoked Fish 2003/11/02 07:29:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JimInKy

Would the smoked fish spread at Ted Peter's be made from mullet? I have long wanted to try this creation, and nearly got to a few years ago at a place famous for it at Cedar Key, Florida. But weather cancelled our trip over from Gainesville. If not mullet, what kind of fish does Ted Peter's use?

Ted Peters is best known for the mullet, which is prevalent in the waters of Tampa Bay about a mile from the restaurant. They will also smoke & serve mackerel. You can smell the stuff blocks away when they start smokin'. You can also get regulation burgers, fries, and potato salad there as well. This is the best time to eat it outdoors at their picnic tables! When you're finished, you can hop over to the beach, which is just a 5 minute car ride away...
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Tampa Bay area, Smoked Fish 2003/11/06 13:05:43 (permalink)
    Tried to go to Ted Peters this past Tuesday but found out they are closed on Tuesdays. Past visits very good. Place looked fine. Don't know about any fire, but wasn't looking for any evidence.

Did however stop into a Winery, just a few hundred yards away on same side of Pasadena Ave. where they make citrus wines. Very interesting. They will give you a free tasting of like half a dozen different wines.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Tampa Bay area, Smoked Fish 2003/11/06 14:27:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

Tried to go to Ted Peters this past Tuesday but found out they are closed on Tuesdays. Past visits very good. Place looked fine. Don't know about any fire, but wasn't looking for any evidence.

Did however stop into a Winery, just a few hundred yards away on same side of Pasadena Ave. where they make citrus wines. Very interesting. They will give you a free tasting of like half a dozen different wines.

Aw, signman, I wish I'd know you'd be in town. I could have steered you in a few different directions after the TP letdown...
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Tampa Bay area, Smoked Fish 2003/11/06 16:29:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JimInKy

I posted this recipe for smoked mullet dip previously. Had some just a couple of weeks ago at the Cedar Key Seafood Festival. Hot fresh fried mullet and corn on the cob as well!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1