The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Tampa to Atlanta I-75

cowgirlredd

• Total Posts: 2
Tampa to Atlanta I-75 Sat, 06/25/11 11:26 AM (permalink)
driving in one day from Tampa to Atlanta - any non-chain places to stop, even a mile or two off the interstate, for some (god i hate the word) foodies?  price isn't an issue, we'll eat almost anything! thanks!

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
    Re:Tampa to Atlanta I-75 Sat, 06/25/11 11:39 AM (permalink)
    cowgirlredd

driving in one day from Tampa to Atlanta - any non-chain places to stop, even a mile or two off the interstate, for some (god i hate the word) foodies?  price isn't an issue, we'll eat almost anything! thanks!

Haven't been in a few years, but I used to LOVE stopping at Sheffield's. It's fried catfish is the best!! It's a dumpy little truck stop, so if that's not your cup of tea, don't stop. But, if you are looking for some fantastic catfish, it's there. It's in Live Oak, just off of the interstate. You'll see billboards, if it's still there! For BBQ, the Smokin' Pig in Valdosta

daleterry

• Total Posts: 11
      Re:Tampa to Atlanta I-75 Sat, 06/25/11 12:32 PM (permalink)
      For good BBQ, exit at North Valdosta Rd. (just north of Valdosta, GA). Go east about a mile, and turn left. The BBQ place is not on the corner, but next to a Shell (?) station.  Quality food, large portions, and free cobler.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
        Re:Tampa to Atlanta I-75 Sat, 06/25/11 2:45 PM (permalink)
        The best pizza I have eaten in my life, including DiFara's in Brooklyn and Pepe's in New Haven, is in Atlanta at Varasano's

http://www.varasanos.com/
        http://www.varasanos.com/menus/23_Pizza.pdf

I recommend you go with a Nana's and add a Chica Bella and/or a Caramelized Onion.  One person can generally finish one pizza  - these are very, very thin pies, and only come in one size.    Adding prosciutto to the Chica Bella is a very, very good idea.

MiamiDon

Re:Tampa to Atlanta I-75 Sat, 06/25/11 3:30 PM (permalink)
          cowgirlredd when will you be leaving?  I have some notes on some places in Florida, but they are back in Miami and I won't be home for a few days.

Oh, and what route are you taking?

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 407
            Re:Tampa to Atlanta I-75 Sun, 06/26/11 3:52 PM (permalink)
            Cowgirl, there are seven Georgia restaurants reviewed on this site that are on the I-75 corridor south of Atlanta.  Coming from Tampa, Yoder's Dietsch Haus would be the first that you'd find (exit 127), and then Lane Southern Orchards (exit 142 - the "barbecue" is horrible, but the fried chicken and the homemade peach ice cream are great).

In Macon, there's Nu-Way Weiners and Bear's Den, each also reviewed here.  Continuing north, you could do a lot worse than step off the path and visit Fresh Air in Jackson/Flovilla and Old Clinton, neither of which are among the current "Georgia 32" but they both get the John T. Edge seal of approval.  I haven't tried those myself, yet.  The next ones up the road are Buckner's Family Restaurant and Falls View Restaurant, which are two of the remaining three that I have not tried.  That leaves Southern Pit BBQ in Griffin, which is pretty good, but not amazing.

Once you get to Atlanta, TJ Jackson's recommendation of Varasano's is a sound one.  It was my firm favorite until I went to Vingenzo's in the northern suburb of Woodstock.  It's unheralded - most Atlanta foodies are afraid to venture outside I-285 - but it is even better.

TJ Jackson

Re:Tampa to Atlanta I-75 Mon, 06/27/11 10:41 AM (permalink)
              After I read HBS's mention of Vingenzo's, I looked it up.  Indeed, there are several very favorable reviews and it is quite noteworthy that in many of them, they compare the pizza to Varasano's, as if to use it as a benchmark of great pizza. 

I have two visits to Varasano's planned in July - one on the way down from Ohio to Florida, and again on the way back - but I am actually pondering switching over one of those stops to Vingenzo's on the strengths of HBS's recommendation and the other reviews, if I can manage to work around their somewhat more limited operating hours
              <message edited by TJ Jackson on Mon, 06/27/11 10:47 AM>

Littleman

• Total Posts: 590
                Re:Tampa to Atlanta I-75 Wed, 06/29/11 3:35 PM (permalink)
                Get off I 75 at Exit 22 in Valdosta, GA and go E on Valdosta Road to Smok'n Pig BBQ for Top 10 in the US BBQ. Or go to Old South BBQ in Valdosta, GA. Get off I75 at Exit 63A at Tifton, GA and go W on 8th Street W to Pit Stop BBQ for good road food. Get off I 75 at Exit 169 at Macon, GA and go SW on Tom Hill Blvd. to Riverside Dr. Take a left and go S about a mile to Fresh Air BBQ for outstanding GA smoked BBQ. Get off I 75 at Exit 187 and go S to Johnston Street. Take a right and go to Grit's Cafe for outstanding southern cooking for lunch or dinner. Get off I 75 at Exit 198 at Jackson, GA and go E about a mile on High Falls Road to good country food at Falls View Restaurant. Before you get to Atlanta, GA get off I 75 at Exit 233 at Morrow, GA and go S on Jonesborough Road to Southlake Parkway. Take a right and go to Anderson Diner for outstanding country food.
                Smok'n Pig BBQ @ 4228 N. Valdosta Rd., Valdosta, GA. 229 - 245 - 8227.
                http://www.smoknpig.com/
                Old South BBQ @ 1700 West Hill Avenue, Valdosta, GA 229 - 247 - 6700.
                Pit Stop BBQ @ 1112 8th St. W., Tifton, GA 229 - 387 - 0888.
                Fresh Air Bar B Que @ 3076 Riverside Dr., Macon, GA. 478 - 477 - 7229.
                http://www.freshairbarbecue.com/
                Grit's Cafe @ 17 West Johnston Street, Forsyth, GA 478 - 994 - 8325.
                http://www.gritscafe.com/
                Falls View Restaurant @ 42 Towaliga River Dr., Jackson, GA 478 - 994 - 6050.
                Anderson's Diner @ 1395 Southlake Pkwy., Morrow, GA 678 - 422 - 3643.
                http://andersonsdiner.homestead.com/index.html

cowgirlredd

• Total Posts: 2
                  Re:Tampa to Atlanta I-75 Fri, 07/1/11 12:42 PM (permalink)
                  you guys are amazing!! thank you for all the great reccomendations.  I'm very excited to try as many as we can stomach!!

Sundancer7

Re:Tampa to Atlanta I-75 Fri, 07/1/11 12:50 PM (permalink)
                    As I recall, there is a huge place on the east side of interstate that is visable to the eye where all kinds of pecans are available along with other goodies.  It is worth the stop.

Paul E. Smith
                    Knoxville, TN

Milt

• Total Posts: 354
                      Re:Tampa to Atlanta I-75 Sat, 07/2/11 3:20 PM (permalink)
                      Nu-Way in downtown Macon and Fresh Aire BBQ  in Jackson are both worth a visit.

Vingenzo's is near my home, but quite a distance from I-75.  It is excellent.  All pasta is made in house - three choices daily.  They are open evenings except Sunday and lunch Friday and Saturday only.  The chef teaches at Chattahoochee Tech during the week.  Well worth the extra hike - if you have the time.

TJ Jackson

Re:Tampa to Atlanta I-75 Mon, 07/11/11 10:30 PM (permalink)
                        We made two stops in Atlanta on our trip this past week

One the way down - Varasano's was as good as ever - from my point of view.  The kids hated it.  The wife thought the Caramelized Onion pizza was wonderful, but really didn't like anything else.  

On the way back -  we hit Holemann and Finch for their much-praised cheeseburger - it was Sunday and thats the only day it is available all day long.   The wife and I both thought it was very good, but not nearly the best we'd ever had.  Part of the problem is that they only cook the patties to MW and I strongly prefer MR.  The fries were excellent.  The wife pronounced the pickles included as a garnish as amongst the best she'd ever had.  Also - if you decide to visit there, it is almost impossible to spot from the street, so make sure you know the address and are checking numbers. 

Bogeyman

• Total Posts: 35
                          Re:Tampa to Atlanta I-75 Tue, 07/12/11 12:13 PM (permalink)
                          With all due respect to the many admirers of Fresh Air I must take the other stand. In the last 40 years I've gone many times with friends who love the place & the chopped pork has always been overcooked & doused with sauce. I like the sauce but I'd rather have it on good Q. That being said...they are consistant.

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                            Re:Tampa to Atlanta I-75 Tue, 07/12/11 12:19 PM (permalink)
                            Bogeyman

With all due respect to the many admirers of Fresh Air I must take the other stand. In the last 40 years I've gone many times with friends who love the place & the chopped pork has always been overcooked & doused with sauce. I like the sauce but I'd rather have it on good Q. That being said...they are consistant.

I agree about Fresh Air, just average Q.

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 407
                              Re:Tampa to Atlanta I-75 Tue, 07/12/11 3:11 PM (permalink)
                              Interesting... I've thought the Fresh Air in Athens was pretty good, but I've been wanting to go to the original for ages.  I hope y'all are just selling it short!

Large Man

• Total Posts: 75
                                Re:Tampa to Atlanta I-75 Tue, 07/12/11 7:13 PM (permalink)
                                I agree regarding to Fresh Air.  I do love their stew.  I do not like pre sauced meat (what are you trying to hide?).  I do not eat at the one in Athens however the one in Jackon is the best of the bunch. 

TJ Jackson

Re:Tampa to Atlanta I-75 Sun, 06/24/12 9:03 PM (permalink)
                                  Slice just did a writeup on Vingenzos

http://slice.seriouseats....l?ref=excerpt_readmore

Littleman

• Total Posts: 590
                                    Re:Tampa to Atlanta I-75 Tue, 06/26/12 11:18 AM (permalink)
                                    Get off I 75 at Exit 22 in Valdosta, GA and go E on Valdosta Road to Smok'n Pig BBQ for Top 10 in the US BBQ. Or go to Old South BBQ in Valdosta, GA. Get off I75 at Exit 63A at Tifton, GA and go W on 8th Street W to Pit Stop BBQ for good road food. Get off I 75 at Exit 169 at Macon, GA and go SW on Tom Hill Blvd. to Riverside Dr. Take a left and go S about a mile to Fresh Air BBQ for outstanding GA smoked BBQ. Get off I 75 at Exit 187 and go S to Johnston Street.  Take a right and go to Grit's Cafe for outstanding southern cooking for lunch or dinner. Get off I 75 at Exit 198 at Jackson, GA and go E about a mile on High Falls Road to good country food at Falls View Restaurant. Before you get to Atlanta, GA get off I 75 at Exit 233 at Morrow, GA and go S on Jonesborough Road to Southlake Parkway. Take a right and go to Anderson Diner for outstanding country food.
                                    Smok'n Pig BBQ @ 4228 N. Valdosta Rd., Valdosta, GA. 229 - 245 - 8227.
                                    http://www.smoknpig.com/
                                    Old South BBQ @ 1700 West Hill Avenue, Valdosta, GA 229 - 247 - 6700.
                                    Pit Stop BBQ @ 1112 8th St. W., Tifton, GA 229 - 387 - 0888.
                                    Fresh Air Bar B Que @ 3076 Riverside Dr., Macon, GA. 478 - 477 - 7229.
                                    http://www.freshairbarbecue.com/
                                    Grit's Cafe @ 17 West Johnston Street, Forsyth, GA 478 - 994 - 8325. 
                                    http://www.gritscafe.com/
                                    Falls View Restaurant @ 42 Towaliga River Dr., Jackson, GA 478 - 994 - 6050.
                                    Anderson's Diner @ 1395 Southlake Pkwy., Morrow, GA 678 - 422 - 3643.
                                    http://andersonsdiner.homestead.com/index.html

ALL GOOD

• Total Posts: 57
                                      Re:Tampa to Atlanta I-75 Tue, 06/26/12 12:58 PM (permalink)
                                      Probably not the best route to be driving today with the "tropical depression".... 20 plus inches of rain would be enough to discourage me....  time to order in.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com