Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats? 2004/02/06 05:32:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RibDog

Hi Jim.

When you come down, let me know and I will meet you at Ted's.

John

Absolutely, John. Ted Peter's it will be.

You know we may just cross paths on the barbecue circuit this year. I'm thinking of attending Memphis in May, or maybe the competition you and I talked about in Georgia.
zothhh
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
RE: Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats? 2004/02/06 08:52:58 (permalink)
Speaking of the BBQ circuit, I was going to take my Dad to one of the "Grand Slam" events in the next year, but probably not Memphis in May because we just got back from Memphis. Which would you recommend?
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 593
RE: Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats? 2004/02/06 09:03:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by zothhh

Speaking of the BBQ circuit, I was going to take my Dad to one of the "Grand Slam" events in the next year, but probably not Memphis in May because we just got back from Memphis. Which would you recommend?

In order of preference:

1. Jack Daniels Invitational Lynchburg, TN/late October.

2. American Royal, Kansas City, MO/Early October.

3. Blue Ridge Barbecue Festival, Tryon, NC/Early June.

Those are just a few of my favorites of the bigger contests. If you come to the Jack, make sure you look me up as I am always there as a volunteer worker for Jack Daniels in the contest.

John

John
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats? 2004/02/06 09:05:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

quote:
Originally posted by RibDog

Hi Jim.

When you come down, let me know and I will meet you at Ted's.

John

Absolutely, John. Ted Peter's it will be.

You know we may just cross paths on the barbecue circuit this year. I'm thinking of attending Memphis in May, or maybe the competition you and I talked about in Georgia.

That would be great Jim. While I will not be at Memphis this year, I just got on the judging list for Dillard last week.

John
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats? 2004/02/06 09:43:11 (permalink)
John, Is the Dillard you mention the one in Georgia? If so, what's the name of the event? I go the Highlands, N.C. at least once every year on a route that takes me within a few miles of Dillard, Georgia.

I'll look into the Blue Ridge Barbecue Festival at Tryon, N.C.
zothhh
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
RE: Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats? 2004/02/06 10:01:17 (permalink)
"Those are just a few of my favorites of the bigger contests. If you come to the Jack, make sure you look me up as I am always there as a volunteer worker for Jack Daniels in the contest."

Will do!
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats? 2004/02/06 17:23:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

Hey John, the fact that you wrote the the Jack Daniels is an invitational made me wonder. Can anybody enter these events? Do you have to qualify in some way?

No, the Jack Daniels is purely by invitation only. To get an invitation, you have to first start by winning a "qualifying" contest. This is usually a contest that has been declared a state championship by proclamation by the govenor. If there is more than one in a state (please don't ask the obvious question here as many states have more than one), then the winners go into a drawing for that state. Some contest winners have automatic entries such the defending champ of the JDI, the winner of the American Royal, the winner of the MIM, etc.

In the end, there are only so many spaces in the park behind the town square in Lynchburg. As such, the number of invitations are limited.

Hope this made it clearer than mud.

John
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats? 2004/02/06 17:25:25 (permalink)
quote:

John, Is the Dillard you mention the one in Georgia? If so, what's the name of the event? I go the Highlands, N.C. at least once every year on a route that takes me within a few miles of Dillard, Georgia.

I'll look into the Blue Ridge Barbecue Festival at Tryon, N.C.

Yes Jim, that is the one. It is during the first weekend of August and the contest is always filled up as they have limited spaces. During the contest, they always have bluegrass music being played.

Hope to see you there.

John
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
RE: Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats? 2004/02/06 18:04:00 (permalink)
Ribdog: I will be in Tryon in June. I looked up their web site and I cannot wait. It ain't far from Knoxville, TN. I have attached their website for your convenience.

http://www.blueridgebbqfestival.com/

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats? 2004/02/06 18:20:26 (permalink)
John, Do you plan on being at Tryon this June?

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
RE: Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats? 2004/02/06 18:36:22 (permalink)
JimInKy: Do you plan on attendance? It is close for me and sounds like a neat weekend trip for me. I hope the experts on this site will be there.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats? 2004/02/06 22:26:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Ribdog: I will be in Tryon in June. I looked up their web site and I cannot wait. It ain't far from Knoxville, TN. I have attached their website for your convenience.

http://www.blueridgebbqfestival.com/

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

One suggestion for you Paul. Try and get there on Friday afternoon and night. On Saturday, the teams get pretty serious up until about 2 PM when they have sent in their last turn-in for judging. Then it is the proberbial "Miller" time.

Make sure you stop by and say hi to Lee and Bobbie McWright of the Music City Pig Pals team. They are out of Nashville and will be there in the vending section. I was there with them last year working warm-up grill for the ribs. Tell them RibDog said to say hi.

You will have a great time.

John
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats? 2004/02/06 22:28:45 (permalink)
quote:

John, Do you plan on being at Tryon this June?

There is a strong possibility that I will not. It will be the first one I have missed in 6 years. I have had to cut back on my contests this year as my wife is not doing so well and I can't leave her alone too much. But she will probably be coming with me to Dillard so that one is for sure.

John
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats? 2004/02/07 02:48:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

JimInKy: Do you plan on attendance? It is close for me and sounds like a neat weekend trip for me. I hope the experts on this site will be there.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Paul, I would like to attend either the Tryon or Dillard event this summer. The Dillard event is the most likely choice for me as it's in early August and I will be in the Carolinas or Georgia then. An added bonus is a chance to meet John. Incidentally, the Dillard House still has a good reputation. I check on that all the time.
sayhonk
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats? 2012/09/07 23:35:30 (permalink)
I have lived here in the Tampa area since 2005 and have yet to find any restaurant that knows how to fry mullet correctly. Seems like they all want to put flour on it, when anyone should know that cornmeal and just a very small--VERY SMALL amt of flour is mixed with the meal, salt and pepper, and the grease should be at least 375 degrees F. and deep fried, not pan fried.    I am from lower alabama and the panhandle of Florida and was raised on fried mullet and mullet roe.  If anyone gets the chance, there used to be and maybe still is a restaurant called Gators in the Milton, Fl. area not far off the I-10.  They have the most perfect mullet, next to MaMa's that I ever tasted.   And it does matter what body of water the mullet was caught in---because if they grew up in a muddy bottom water, they will taste bitter. You want to get mullet in a sandy bottom area like Santa Rosa Island near Pensacola, Fl.   That's good eatin'.
kevincad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 408
Re:Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats? 2012/09/08 08:59:25 (permalink)
I don't know if they have fried mullet, but for some darned fine smoked mullet, try the Crab Shack, on Gandy.
kevincad
Cheeseburger
RE: Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats? 2012/09/08 11:00:35 (permalink)
bravehearteire

Try Skipper's Smokehouse. It's pretty close to USF. It's been 20 years since I was there, but I noticed it still gets a lot of awards for best seafood in Tampa. I'm not sure what it's like now, but back then it was just a downhome seafood shack, with the best shark and gator I ever tried.

Skipper's is a great place! Love the atmosphere, and stay for the music, they have really good bands out back.
sayhonk
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats? 2012/12/06 23:12:18 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

People eat mullet? We used them for bait.

Mullet tastes better than any other fish when it's fresh and cooked in a cornmeal batter in peanut oil at the correct temperature.
Sardines are used for bait in Norway, but they are delicious and healthy.
What we need are clean waterways for our fishing industry. How many cities are dumping their treated waste into our rivers and streams?
...and Mullet are vegetarians; the other fish eat just about any organism.

RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats? 2012/12/07 07:49:21 (permalink)
sayhonk, two places I would suggest trying for the fried mullet is Skyway Jack's and Munch's with both of them being in south St. Petersburg.  Both places have fried mullet and eggs available for breakfast.  That is if they can get the mullet.
kevincad
Cheeseburger
Re:Tampa/St. Pete FL - Fried Mullet? Other Good Eats? 2012/12/07 09:37:18 (permalink)
kbkirksey

I'm going to be travelling to Tampa/St. Pete Florida in a couple of weeks, and I'm dying for some good fried mullet. I haven't had any since I moved from Florida 15 years ago. Any suggestions? Any suggestions on other good places to eat in the area? TIA!

Having lived there for many, many years one place that always has very good SMOKED mullet is the Crab Shack. You'll need to go across Tampa Bay on the Gandy Bridge but it's a nice drive and worth it for the mullet. Skipper's Smokehouse is a cool place to hang out and they have pretty good mullet there as well. It has a grea vibe. North part of Tampa.

http://www.skipperssmokehouse.com/venue/menu.html

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1