Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Tarheels Tea and Tobacco!

Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 105 of 105
The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
Re:Tarheels Tea and Tobacco! Wed, 04/1/09 3:58 PM (permalink)
Surprisingly, on April 1st, all pictures of wanderingjew look EXACTLY like him.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Tarheels Tea and Tobacco! Wed, 04/1/09 3:59 PM (permalink)
    cecif

Aaahhhhhhhhhh sweet relief!

So it was here in this very space that I tried to post and suddenly I had lost all ability to even PM.

I just wanted to say thanks guys!!!! It was fun following you! As always great stuff & pics & you make me both road-itchy (i.e. wanna get in the car and go!) and hungry! CHEERS!

I have been following your ordeal on the bugs and issues post. 

Good to have you back

smokestack lightning

• Total Posts: 301
      Re:Tarheels Tea and Tobacco! Thu, 04/2/09 1:43 AM (permalink)
      Can anyone tell me more about those boiled NC style potatos? Never heard of them and am intrigued.

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
        Re:Tarheels Tea and Tobacco! Fri, 04/3/09 3:15 PM (permalink)
        I know this is the wrong place to put this, but it has just driven me crazy! Whay can I see some pictures and not others?
        I can always see Travelin Man's (among others)  but never Buffetbuster's(among others). Why is that?

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
          Re:Tarheels Tea and Tobacco! Fri, 04/3/09 4:04 PM (permalink)
          Be grateful.

My pictures are always better than bufferbuster's! 

Bobbie J

• Total Posts: 10
            Re:Tarheels Tea and Tobacco! Sat, 04/4/09 7:47 PM (permalink)
            Boiled potatoes are just that! Wash and peel your potatoes. Cut into bite sized hunks. Put in an open pot and cover with water. Add lots of butter and salt and pepper. Bring to a low boil. Watch out for boil overs...and cook with no stirring till soft. If you want BBQ potatoes add a comercial sauce at the end of cooking (Like Sweet Baby Ray's or even Kraft"s and some red pepper flakes to taste) Stir in and simmer for a few minutes.
            Jean
             The no stir rule is so you don't get potatoe mush..LOL

DLnWPBrown

• Total Posts: 832
              Re:Tarheels Tea and Tobacco! Sat, 04/4/09 8:48 PM (permalink)
              Bobbie J

Boiled potatoes are just that! Wash and peel your potatoes. Cut into bite sized hunks. Put in an open pot and cover with water. Add lots of butter and salt and pepper. Bring to a low boil. Watch out for boil overs...and cook with no stirring till soft. If you want BBQ potatoes add a comercial sauce at the end of cooking (Like Sweet Baby Ray's or even Kraft"s and some red pepper flakes to taste) Stir in and simmer for a few minutes.
              Jean
               The no stir rule is so you don't get potatoe mush..LOL

My recipe handed down from my grandmother is a little different Jean. Take your potatoes and peel and cut up as you mentioned.... but as they are cooking you add a little bit of ketcup to color the water then add hot sauce to give it a little zing. Only kind I like.

Dennis in Cary 

smokestack lightning

Re:Tarheels Tea and Tobacco! Sat, 04/4/09 9:12 PM (permalink)
                Thanks to both of you. I am a potato lover and had never heard of this variant.

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                  Re:Tarheels Tea and Tobacco! Sat, 04/4/09 11:52 PM (permalink)
                  smokestack, it's so specifically North Carolina, more eastern NC if I'm figuring correctly, that I wonder if there's not a specific reason why--like people didn't want to invest in fryers for french fries--but I don't exactly know how to find that out.

The other thing you find in NC BBQ places is BBQ slaw--barbecue sauce in place of the usual mayo-based dressing or mixed in with it.

smokestack lightning

Re:Tarheels Tea and Tobacco! Sun, 04/5/09 12:25 AM (permalink)
                    Nancypalooza

smokestack, it's so specifically North Carolina, more eastern NC if I'm figuring correctly, that I wonder if there's not a specific reason why--like people didn't want to invest in fryers for french fries--but I don't exactly know how to find that out.

The other thing you find in NC BBQ places is BBQ slaw--barbecue sauce in place of the usual mayo-based dressing or mixed in with it.

Thanks for both items! Most interesting, as my grandmother used to say. I appreciate your relaying the specific rather small geographical area for the potatos that it makes much more sense. I have spent a lot of the last decade in the South- mainly Mississippi-memphis-Louisiana for the first 6 or 7 and Savannah for the last few before returning to California and had never heard of them and was surprirized being both a lover of potatos and of BBQ. Your theory of the possible reason why is really interesting an dmakes me want to research more!

The BBQ sla is also interesting. In Memphis they have mustard slaw and BBQ everything else-the famous spaghetti being an obvious example- but I was unaware of BBQ slaw until I saw it in North Carolina. Makes me wish I had spent more time exploring North carolin aBBQ while I was in Savannah.

Thanks again.

buffetbuster

Re:Tarheels Tea and Tobacco! Tue, 04/7/09 11:30 AM (permalink)
                      The Travelin Man

Be grateful.

Okay Pal, you just made the list!!!

DLnWPBrown

Re:Tarheels Tea and Tobacco! Tue, 04/7/09 12:00 PM (permalink)
                        smokestack lightning

Nancypalooza

Thanks for both items! Most interesting, as my grandmother used to say. I appreciate your relaying the specific rather small geographical area for the potatos that it makes much more sense. I have spent a lot of the last decade in the South- mainly Mississippi-memphis-Louisiana for the first 6 or 7 and Savannah for the last few before returning to California and had never heard of them and was surprirized being both a lover of potatos and of BBQ. Your theory of the possible reason why is really interesting an dmakes me want to research more!

The BBQ sla is also interesting. In Memphis they have mustard slaw and BBQ everything else-the famous spaghetti being an obvious example- but I was unaware of BBQ slaw until I saw it in North Carolina. Makes me wish I had spent more time exploring North carolin aBBQ while I was in Savannah.

Thanks again.

Slaw gets even more geographical than potatoes do Smokestack. I grew up eating a type of slaw that has vinegar, sugar, mustard, and just a hint of mayo... so slight is the mayo that you honestly don't know it is there unless you ask. I mentioned this to Dale and Clint when they were in town.

Now my wife likes the slaw with BBQ sauce in it but we need to be specific about that so people don't get confused. You son't chop up a head of cabbage and dump Kraft or Hunt's BBQ sauce in it... yuck. You are actually using a thin red sauce that it prepared mainly in western NC. Lexington BBQ in Lexington NC is some of the best we have found. 

Smokestack I would be glad to share the recipe with you if you like.

Dennis in Cary

smokestack lightning

Re:Tarheels Tea and Tobacco! Tue, 04/7/09 4:34 PM (permalink)
                          DLnWPBrown

smokestack lightning

Nancypalooza

Thanks again.

Slaw gets even more geographical than potatoes do Smokestack. I grew up eating a type of slaw that has vinegar, sugar, mustard, and just a hint of mayo... so slight is the mayo that you honestly don't know it is there unless you ask. I mentioned this to Dale and Clint when they were in town.

Now my wife likes the slaw with BBQ sauce in it but we need to be specific about that so people don't get confused. You son't chop up a head of cabbage and dump Kraft or Hunt's BBQ sauce in it... yuck. You are actually using a thin red sauce that it prepared mainly in western NC. Lexington BBQ in Lexington NC is some of the best we have found. 

Smokestack I would be glad to share the recipe with you if you like.

Dennis in Cary

Hi,  Thanks for the information. Quite interesting. I would love the recipe. thanks.

Josh

DLnWPBrown

Re:Tarheels Tea and Tobacco! Fri, 04/24/09 4:57 PM (permalink)
                            Josh, did you try the slaw and if so how did you like it? It's really good on hot dogs as well when you have some good chili to go with it.

Dennis in Cary

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              Re:Tarheels Tea and Tobacco! Fri, 04/24/09 7:48 PM (permalink)
                              buffetbuster

The Travelin Man

Be grateful.

Okay Pal, you just made the list!!!

But at least we get to SEE BB's pictures, we are still waiting on yours from several reports.

You know we love ya Steve, we wouldnt pick on you otherwise

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 105 of 105

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com