Tartar sauce on Pacific NW burgers

Author
yumbo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
2003/03/19 14:48:08 (permalink)

Tartar sauce on Pacific NW burgers

Hi all -

I've posted this question on the previous RFood forum and didn't get much of an answer, so I'll do it again.

I've noticed out here in Washington state people like to put tartar sauce on their burgers - Dick's Drive in and By's Burgers in Seattle are 2 that do it. Zipp's Burgers in Spokane also offer the condiment. Are we the only ones that do this?

It's more like an eggy mayonnaise with some chopped pickle thrown in - not quite like the white stuff you in a seafood joint.

-Yumbo (Seattle WA)

13 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18952
    RE: Tartar sauce on Pacific NW burgers 2003/03/19 15:12:13 (permalink)
    I've never heard of any place offering such a condiment for hamburgers. On the other hand, I often put mayonnaise and relish on my hamburgers, and that's sort of close.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7967
    RE: Tartar sauce on Pacific NW burgers 2003/03/19 15:39:26 (permalink)
    I lived in Seattle for 3 years. I remember people used to put mayo on their burgers. Being a native New Yorker I found that extremely bizarre. One habit I picked up on was putting tartar sauce on french fries. Especially while dining on Halibut n Chips at Ivars or Spuds.
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Tartar sauce on Pacific NW burgers 2003/03/19 15:49:12 (permalink)
    I can't speak for Washington, but I've always put mayo on my burgers..in fact my fave way to have them is cheese, mayo and pickles..that's it. I will admit to loving Jack in the Box (roadfood heresy I know!!) because they put an onion flavored mayo on most of their burgers. And I too love to dip fries in tartar sauce. And I found a great source online for Calve's Frite Saus.. a Belgian mayonnaise-like sauce for fries..delish!@
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Tartar sauce on Pacific NW burgers 2003/03/19 15:52:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jennifer_4

I can't speak for Washington, but I've always put mayo on my burgers..in fact my fave way to have them is cheese, mayo and pickles..that's it. I will admit to loving Jack in the Box (roadfood heresy I know!!) because they put an onion flavored mayo on most of their burgers. And I too love to dip fries in tartar sauce. And I found a great source online for Calve's Frite Saus.. a Belgian mayonnaise-like sauce for fries..delish!@

PLease forward the link!
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Tartar sauce on Pacific NW burgers 2003/03/19 15:57:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

I lived in Seattle for 3 years. I remember people used to put mayo on their burgers. Being a native New Yorker I found that extremely bizarre. One habit I picked up on was putting tartar sauce on french fries. Especially while dining on Halibut n Chips at Ivars or Spuds.

I don't get it. I thought *everybody* put mayo on their burger. At Burger King the first thing they do is slather on a layer of mayo on the upper bun, followed by shredded lettuce and tomato. I know because I had the misfortune of working the BK "non-cheese sandwich board" back in the '70s (ugly brown polyester shirt and all).
    kathy28299
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Tartar sauce on Pacific NW burgers 2003/03/19 18:15:58 (permalink)
    Southern cooks swear by Duke's Mayonnaise and they make a product called Duke's Sandwich Relish that I know lots of folks like on their hamburgers. Not exactly tartar sauce ... but similar in concept.
    RebeccaS
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Tartar sauce on Pacific NW burgers 2003/03/19 18:28:26 (permalink)
    FYI - Personally I wouldn't put mayo on much of anything, but don't go to Dick's (in Seattle) and ask for a "special" burger. (minus mayo, catsup, etc). I did, and they looked at me like I was crazy. So I had to take it as it came. I don't think that Dick's is even worth the experience. We have one here in Spokane, and I've never eaten there in the 10 years I've lived here.
    TANFANRN
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Tartar sauce on Pacific NW burgers 2003/03/20 02:23:47 (permalink)
    I USED TO WORK FOR A NOW DEFUNCT BURGER CHAIN IN MICHIGAN CALLED BURGER CHEF YEARS AGO. THEY HAD A BURGER CALLED THE BIG CHEF THAT WAS SIMILAR TO A BIG MAC, BUT THE "SPECIAL SAUCE" WAS TARTAR SAUCE. THE SAME TARTAR SAUCE THEY PUT ON THEIR FISH SANDWICH. THAT'S WHEN I DEVELOPED A LIKING FOR TARTAR SAUCE ON FRIES ALSO.
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Tartar sauce on Pacific NW burgers 2003/03/20 03:48:44 (permalink)
    I do like mayo on a big, fat burger (with lettuce and tomato), but there are times when even mayo doesn't -- pardon the expression -- cut the mustard; and only Miracle Whip will do. (And, not to bend this thread too far, but who doesn't love a hot dog at[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=182']Flo's[/url] with hot sauce and mayonnaise?
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Tartar sauce on Pacific NW burgers 2003/03/20 05:22:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by yumbo

quote:
    Originally posted by Jennifer_4

PLease forward the link!

Here it is..they have other brands of frite saus as well as other kinds of condiments!
    http://www.germandeli.com/groceries1-condiments.html

dogbytes
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Tartar sauce on Pacific NW burgers 2003/06/22 20:46:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by yumbo

I've noticed out here in Washington state people like to put tartar sauce on their burgers - Dick's Drive in and By's Burgers in Seattle are 2 that do it. Zipp's Burgers in Spokane also offer the condiment. Are we the only ones that do this?

im new to seattle, and noticed the tartar sauce thing right away! Red Mill Burgers and Kidds Valley.. everyone was dipping their fries in tartar sauce (wasnt sure what was on the burgers..)

elicia
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: Tartar sauce on Pacific NW burgers 2003/06/22 23:10:07 (permalink)
    Mmmn. Red Mill. *drool*

Their "mill sauce" is a smoky mayo, and it's divine on the fries. I don't get the tartar-on-fries thing either, except with fish and chips, and I'm a northwest native. It seems like you need the acid of ketchup or malt vinegar to play off the fat in fries, and vinegar isn't commonly found at burger places.

Eric
    RockyB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Tartar sauce on Pacific NW burgers 2003/06/23 14:12:01 (permalink)
    Although I live in Upstate NY, and have spent most of my life here, I went to college in Bozeman, MT at Montana State U. It was while I was there I was introduced to freinch fries with tarter sauce. A tavern I used to frequent called The Arcade used to serve a side dip of tarter sauce with your fries when you would order a burger or whatever other items came with fries. At first I thought it sounded bad, but actually, it was GOOD! Now back here in the east when I reach for the tarter sauce with my fries, people look at me like I'm crazy!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1