Taste of Buffalo - July 2009

Author
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
2009/08/10 21:05:29 (permalink)

Taste of Buffalo - July 2009

This year the three of us decided to visit the Taste of Buffalo restaurant sampling foodapalooza held in downtown Buffalo.  I have read about the drawbacks with these kinds of events, notably the fact that the food is high-priced and that the events tend to be crowded.  Nonetheless, we decided to give it a try and see what undiscovered restaurants are out there.  In general, we enjoyed the day, although it was a bit pricy.  Ironically enough, the typical Buffalo specialties were not well-represented: one hot dog stand, one roast beef stand, and no place with chicken wings.  There were quite a few with barbeque, however - more details to follow.

What led us to give it a try is that Saturday (it is a two-day event ending Sunday) started out a bit rainy, which kept the crowds and temperatures down:

Looks a bit discouraging?  Not to fear: the folks present kept on going, and eventually the sun came out:

It's a great location along Delaware Avenue to Niagara Square downtown.

First on the agenda was the toasted ravioli from Cecelia's Ristorante.  Very tasty but could have used a bit more food for the price:

The first barbeque place we saw was Donnie's Smokehouse, and we tried the sample of pulled chicken and smoked red potatoes.  Nice and zest flavor for both the chicken and the potatoes:

Not a huge sandwich but tasty and filling - not too full, of course, with many stops to come.

The Brunswick stew from BW's Barbeque was very tangy and the equal of the stew I have had in North Carolina.  Very good:

The arroz con pollo or rice with chicken from Niagara Cafe was not super-spicy but was worth getting a full order of sometime: filling and tasty enough.

If you have ever eaten at Red Osier, you know that they have great steaks and prime rib.  They had the most interesting offering: a roast beef sundae.  "What is that?" you may ask.  It consists of roast beef, gravy, mashed potatoes, cheese, and a cherry tomato on top.  Quite inventive and a very filling meal - easily the best value of the event:

Fat Bob's Smokehouse was next with some very spicy macaroni and cheese and some very good St. Louis pork ribs:

At least one Buffalo staple, pizza, was present from Just Pizza, a local chain.  You would think that they sell just pizza, but they do sell wings and subs, among the offerings.  The Buffalo chicken pizza had some spicy chicken on it:

The strawberry crepe from the Polish Villa was a nice contrast to some of the heavier food we had been eating:

Back to the heavy food.  Chester's Cajun Grill offered a thick, spicy, and very good gumbo:

Landies' Sweets and Treats offered the typical carnival offering of a chocolate dipped banana  - hey, at least it's a way to get something a bit healthier even if it's buried under chocolate:

Not to start a discussion about chain restaurants, but what doesn't belong in this picture?  For some reason the local Applebees decided to have a booth.  We resisted the (not very strong) urge to stop and sample whatever it was they were offering:

I realize this picture is a bit blurry, but the collard greens from Mr. Bones were pretty good - not quite as good as that from the south, but you take what you can this far north of the Mason Dixon line:

Time for another desert?  Gelato and a cannoli from Melody's were sweet and tasty, and the best part is that the restaurant is not too far from our house:

Another barbeque place?  Of course (whether it is regionally appropriate is debatable).  Garris Barbeque offered a sample platter of fried chicken, fried catfish, and hushpuppies.  The chicken and hush puppies were good, but the catfish was only so-so.  (Of course, being this full makes it hard to eat much):

Finally we saw it: Dinosaur Barbeque (the Rochester location - alas, no site in Buffalo yet) was here.  Because we had eaten at Dinosaur not that long ago and were feeling pretty full, we did not eat anything but did take this picture.  It turns out that they won the newcomer of the year award, not a great surprise.

Overall this was a good experience, and we found some new restaurants whose complete offerings we can try out. 

I will try to update this report to give more details on the restaurants for anyone who wants to visit some of them.

updated 08/11/2009 - clarified Dinosaur Barbeque location; other minor changes

post edited by Buffalo Tarheel - 2009/08/11 21:05:30

9 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5165
    Re:Taste of Buffalo - July 2009 2009/08/11 09:10:12 (permalink)
    Is Taste of Buffalo a relatively new event or has it been going on for a number of years?  It's nice to see a side of Buffalo that doesn't involve a paralyzing blizzard.

The roast beef sundae looks creative and tasty!

Brad
    post edited by Brad_Olson - 2009/08/11 09:11:31
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Taste of Buffalo - July 2009 2009/08/11 10:06:07 (permalink)
    Brad_Olson

Is Taste of Buffalo a relatively new event or has it been going on for a number of years?  It's nice to see a side of Buffalo that doesn't involve a paralyzing blizzard.

The roast beef sundae looks creative and tasty!

Brad

Hey Brad,

The Taste of Buffalo has actually taken place since 1984.  This is the first year we have gone to it.

The roast beef sundae was our favorite because it was really different and very good.

Rob
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 493
    Re:Taste of Buffalo - July 2009 2009/08/11 13:51:52 (permalink)
    The fried ravioli looks tasty! I had some years ago up in Boston - was fun little appetizer.  I didn't realize BBQ was so big in Buffalo -
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6317
    Re:Taste of Buffalo - July 2009 2009/08/11 15:05:23 (permalink)
    Some nice looking barbeque here...so who needs southern accents, anyway!!!
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    Re:Taste of Buffalo - July 2009 2009/08/11 16:21:46 (permalink)
    I not sure I could have eaten all that food...but it sure looked good, and the pictures were the best I have seen in a long time.  Great work, and thanx.
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 649
    Re:Taste of Buffalo - July 2009 2009/08/11 17:12:40 (permalink)
    You really ate your way through that event, didn't you? It all looks great. Does Dinosaur have a Buffalo location now? Or was it just a newcomer to the event?
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Taste of Buffalo - July 2009 2009/08/11 18:47:42 (permalink)
    Thanks for the notes, everybody.

TnTinCt and Leethebard,

For some reason Buffalo now has a bunch of barbeque places, even though the food is not really regionally appropriate.  However, many of the places at the Taste had very good selections. 

Myterry2 and Quijote,

I should have pointed out that there three of us (my wife and daughter also).  I could never have finished that much food alone.  Even so, we were all very full by day end and not needing any supper that night.

As far as Dinosaur Barbeque, I should have pointed out in the report that it was the Rochester location which participated.  It would be stupendous to have a branch in Buffalo, but no such fortune yet.

starfire62
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    Re:Taste of Buffalo - July 2009 2009/08/11 20:35:17 (permalink)
    taste of buffalo is the 2nd biggest show in the us behind chicago .it draws about 400,000 people yearly.
    sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Taste of Buffalo - July 2009 2009/08/11 22:01:50 (permalink)
    great report BT
    too bad it was a sad represenation of local eateries.
    starfire62 said 400,000 people?
    looks like 400 to me
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1