Tasty Thai Curry

Author
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
2007/01/16 21:34:04 (permalink)

Tasty Thai Curry

THAI HUT

I had the luck of coming across this place today for lunch. Just around the corner from a friend's office, it had a sign saying "Grand Opening" and, since I love Thai food, we thought We'd give it a try.

They had a lunch special for $6.95, which was your choice from any number of dishes, I got the Panang Curry with Chicken and my friend got the Spicy Noodles with Chicken.

Both were served with a nice light soup (forgot to ask what it was called but had a touch of spiciness to it) and a small spring roll as an appetizer.

This came out quickly after we ordered, and just after we finished that, the main meal came out. The service was excellent, our server was, I think, an owner, her name was Bee, a wonderfully kind older woman who taught us that Thai for thank you is "khorb khun."

My curry was served in a separate dish with the main plate holding a generous amount of fragrant rice. The panang curry was paired with coconut milk, green beans and bell pepper with basil.

The flavor of the curry was excellent, it could have been a bit spicier, but then, I like it hot. I'll ask for it kicked up a notch next time.

My friend, as I said, ordered the Spicy Noodles, otherwise known as Drunken Noodles, hot and spicy stir fried noodles with garlic, chili, onions, bell peppers, broccoli and basil.

Although tasty, I preferred mine, which is unusual as I am always food jealous, preferring others food to my own.

Overall I really liked this place, and the great thing is it's at a spot where I am at least once a week. This could be a regular thing if it continues to impress. I should add that it was very clean and everything tasted fresh and flavorful.

Corner of Alma School and Baseline, south of the US 60, next to the Denny's. Open every day for lunch and dinner except Sundays-dinner only.

THAI HUT
1245 W Baseline Rd # 101
Mesa, AZ 85202
(480) 413-9956

If you are in this area for breakfast, T.C. Eggington's is a winner, and if you are in need of a burger, The Islands makes an above average burger personal fav, the hawaiian)

16 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10481
    RE: Tasty Thai Curry 2007/01/16 21:48:42 (permalink)
    desertdog-
    Thanks for the great photos....that Thai food looked so good. Usually around here they ask you how hot you want your food on a scale of one to ten. Do they ask that there?

After seeing these pics, I am definitely having Thai food for lunch tomorrow!
    desertdog
    RE: Tasty Thai Curry 2007/01/18 08:08:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

desertdog-
    Thanks for the great photos....that Thai food looked so good. Usually around here they ask you how hot you want your food on a scale of one to ten. Do they ask that there?

After seeing these pics, I am definitely having Thai food for lunch tomorrow!

No, they didn't ask either. But I'm sure if I ask them they will spice it up a bit!

Did you get your Thai lunch yesterday?
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Tasty Thai Curry 2007/01/19 10:08:56 (permalink)
    desertdog-
    No, I didn't get Thai the next day...I forgot I wouldn't have my vehicle since it was being inspected. So, I went yesterday instead. I went to this place: http://www.thaiplacepgh.com/ and had the Gang Dang, which is a red curry cooked with coconut milk and had chicken and vegetables in it. Heat wise, I got a six, though it seemed hotter than that. Along with the customary spring rolls and a Thai iced tea, it was an excellent lunch!

I think yours might have looked better, though.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5475
    RE: Tasty Thai Curry 2007/01/19 10:37:39 (permalink)
    It looks great! Enjoy the new find d.dog
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Tasty Thai Curry 2007/01/19 17:20:28 (permalink)
    East coast?
    Left coast?
    Gulf coast?
    State?
    desertdog
    RE: Tasty Thai Curry 2007/01/19 17:35:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

East coast?
    Left coast?
    Gulf coast?
    State?

Sorry V, Thought everyone knew where Alma School and Baseline was!

THAI HUT
    1245 W Baseline Rd # 101
    Mesa, AZ 85202
    (480) 413-9956
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    RE: Tasty Thai Curry 2007/03/02 19:52:23 (permalink)
    When my hubby was working in Springfield, VA, we got Thai every Friday night at House of Siam (7056 Spring Garden Dr., Springfield, VA 22150, (703) 866-6088), a couple doors down from the rather squalid embroidery shop he worked out of the back of. But I digress.

The first time we went there, we were overwhelmed by the fantastic scents coming from the kitchen. I remember flipping through a stack of Thai magazines they had. Gorgeous writing, and amusing pictures. The waiter asked me quizzically if I was reading it. (Ha!) I remember an ad featuring a picture of a parade with confetti and much celebration, and in the front, held aloft, was . . . a cat in a cage. In the bottom corner of the ad was a dishwasher. Now . . . I had to ask. Turns out, there's a celebration they hold (with a cat in a cage in a parade) to summon the spring rains. The ad was for dish soap.

Anyhow, the food was very good, but hubby (who had been taught to cook by two Thai girls) had asked for his to be spicy, and it was only sort of round-eye spicy. He discussed this with the waiter, who agreed to make it "Thai spicy" next time he came in. Well, we did this, and the waiter was amazed, saying, "We get Thais in here that can't eat it that hot."

Every Friday it was our ritual to get a carry-out order, and then drive it (I kid you not) an hour and a half back to Parkville, northeast of Baltimore. (That was one leg of the "hell commute" we did for 10 months. The other leg was me going to Annapolis. But again, I digress.) Their "Noodles of the Drunks" is very good and indeed spicy. They do wonderful spring rolls. But I think the thing that tortured us the most on that hour-and-a-half drive was the crab fried rice. What a delightful aroma. Unfortunately, since it's in those little foil trays with the plastic lids, you can't very well pick at it in the dark in the car.

Ooh, I need me some Thai now.
    PepperPhil
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Tasty Thai Curry 2007/03/04 05:01:29 (permalink)
    Now I loved that revue..........

And the thought of authenic Thai food, is bringing a tear to my eye... usually does because of the mixtures of spices they use... almost always hot.

Thanks for the post.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5475
    RE: Tasty Thai Curry 2007/03/04 06:51:13 (permalink)
    Jennie, I ocassionally get down that way. I'm making plans right now to get to the House of Siam.

MikeS.
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Tasty Thai Curry 2007/03/04 08:37:43 (permalink)

Where I live, the only Thai restaurant isn't in the town. You need to go to the next town. They were struggling, but a recent visit had a full parking lot. The photos are helping me in deciding what is for dinner tonight. That meal will use a half duck and all the ingredients for a nice curry.

I am searching for another noodle dish besides Pad Thai. I will try to eat a different item when I go to a Thai place, as I feel guilty if I ate only that dish. I have had Drunken Noodles but had a similar impression, there was something better.
    I remember that in the past, I would see a noodle dish listed as Mee Krob. I think it was described as crispy noodles with a sweet dark sauce. Sounds like an interesting combination of taste and texture. I am not seeing it listed out here.

mark
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Tasty Thai Curry 2007/03/04 13:31:20 (permalink)
    If they want to expand, send 'em to Green Valley (AZ). I haven't had decent Thai food since I left San Francisco in October and it's one reason I'm starting to look forward to getting back.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Tasty Thai Curry 2007/03/04 13:35:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by doggydaddy

I remember that in the past, I would see a noodle dish listed as Mee Krob. I think it was described as crispy noodles with a sweet dark sauce. Sounds like an interesting combination of taste and texture. I am not seeing it listed out here.

mark

Mee Krob

quote:
    Mee Krob
    (Thai fried noodles in sweet-sour sauce)
    Yield: 4-6 portions

INGREDIENTS PREP AMOUNT
    Rice vermicelli noodles (see notes) broken into pieces 1/2 lb
    Eggs beaten with 1 T water 2 each
    Tofu, firm sliced thin 1/4 lb
    Oil for deep frying

Oil 2 T
    Pork, ground 1/4 lb
    Shrimp peeled, deveined 1/4 lb

Garlic or garlic pickle minced 1 T
    Scallions or shallots minced 2T
    Tomato paste 1 T
    Fish sauce 2 T
    Brown sugar or palm sugar 2 T
    Lime juice 3 T
    Red pepper flakes 1/2 to 1 t

Scallions chopped 2 each
    Cilantro 1/2 bunch
    Bean sprouts 1 cup
    Chile, red or green sliced into thin discs 3 each
    METHOD
    Basic Steps: Fry Garnishes ? Sauté ? Simmer ? Mix ? Garnish
    Bring deep frying oil to 375° in a wok. Add noodles and turn to puff up. This should take just a few seconds. Remove, drain on paper towels and set aside.
    Dip fingers into the egg and then drip into the hot oil to make lacey strings. Remove immediately with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Repeat till all egg is used. Chop into small pieces, and set aside.
    Deep fry the sliced tofu till it browns. Remove. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
    Pour all but 2 Tbsp of oil out of the wok. Add pork, break up and cook through. Remove to a plate. Add a little more oil if needed and sauté shrimp till cooked through. Remove to plate with pork.
    Add the garlic and scallions or shallots. Sauté 1-2 minutes over medium-low heat. Add tomato paste and stir in well.
    Add the fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice and red pepper flakes. Simmer over low heat till reduced to a syrup.
    Stir half the noodles into the sauce well. Then stir in the pork, shrimp and the rest of the noodles. Mound noodles on a platter.
    Top the noodles with the garnish of egg strips, tofu, scallions, cilantro, sprouts and chiles. Serve immediately.
    VARIATIONS
    For vegetarian mee krob, substitute soy sauce for the fish sauce, and eliminate the pork & shrimp.
    Eliminate some of the garnishes if you like. It is not necessary to have all of them.
    NOTES
    Most of this dish's components can be prepared ahead through Step 6. At service time just reheat the sauce and continue with the recipe. The noodles will get soggy if you stir them into the sauce too soon before serving.
    Rice vermicelli is also known as sen mee, rice stick noodles, mai fun or pancit bihon.
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    RE: Tasty Thai Curry 2007/03/04 16:01:44 (permalink)
    Wow! And a beautiful picture. Thanks. Sounds delicious!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Tasty Thai Curry 2007/03/13 12:55:11 (permalink)
    I was jonesing for Thai food this morning, so I headed for my local place for lunch. I had the Pad-Se-Ew, Tom Yum soup, an order of Spring Rolls and a Thai iced tea. Everything was so good!
    guacshorts
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Tasty Thai Curry 2007/03/14 02:57:56 (permalink)
    HOLY MY GATOS!

Thank you so much for this post and for where it comes from, Desertdog and Buffetbuster and all!

i used to go to ASU, lived down in the Tempe "ghetto", hehe, and we would go down to Chars on Mill and University to get some good ol' Green curry and satay! Place was desert eclectic with wood, creepy Disneyland haunted house ambience, including Old Western Wagon Wheels on the walls and pics of the King and Queen of Thailand.

Now that i'm moving back from Oregon to PHX, I'm going to hit up that place... the pics look awesome, the food looks even better, and the description is the best.

ALSO! --> I ALWAYS ask for extra peppers (aka the hot pepper trio) on the side, and ask for it medium... I've worked at Asian (chinese and Thai restaurants, and the main "spice" is Thai chile peppers and/or red chile flakes)...

OK! Thanks for the sweat to get the food up.... You all rock!

eTaco
    guacshorts
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Tasty Thai Curry 2007/03/14 03:09:22 (permalink)
    As I read the original post, I was digesting the following Ta Ra Rin Thai food, here in Eugene, OR:

My menu order:

- Deep fried Thai Pumpkin with medium-spice sweet peanut-garlic dipping sauce.

- Laarb - Spcicy/Cilantro/Lime dressing over ground chicken with red onion, cilantro and lettuce.

- coconut juice

and to go for my late night daylight savings meal, hehe:

Pineapple fried rice with chunks of pineapple, tomatoe, cucumber, shrimp, onion, peas, carrots and topped off with fresh cilantro sprigs!

Woohoo!

PERFECT! WOK FLAVORED!

And i've been to thailand so i think i know what's good here in the States!

Wooo! OH MY GATOS!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1