Tasty surprise in Fresno

Author
jonjax71
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 438
2009/04/19 11:44:18 (permalink)

Tasty surprise in Fresno

My wife and I traveled to Sacramento last weekend from Pasadena to attend her sister's wedding making it impossible to attend last Sunday's So Cal get together at Phillipe's in Dwntwn L A.  After visiting friends in Santa Rosa we headed back home down Cali's central artery and dtopped overnight in Fresno where we had not visited since the late 70s. As the residents call it FresYES or by the youngsters, the five, five, nine, or nickel nickel nine, their area code

We had lunch at a fabulous place, Grandmarie's Chicken Pot Pie place in the old Tower district of downtown, it's an old time brightly colored diner atmosphere. Friendly folks match the brightness and sunshiney feel of the restaurant

The best chicken pot pie I ever had, hardly any veggies in it, great crust, so in order to get our share of vegggies for a balanced meal we order the side of carrots in brown sugar sauce. The biscuits were divine as well but the gravy was slightly below par in my wife's and mine opinion  We loved their home made slaw, nice n tart-not sweet. We each had a tasy rice pudding for dessert and then we ordered 2 pot pies to go and had them the next day when we got back home

If you're ever in the area it is well worth a stopover and or detour for a unusual experience for the eyes and tummy in a friendly spot in a historic neighborhood. After a scrumptious lunch we took a self guided walking tour and agreed to return to FresYES in August for the 12th annual My Jahmaica weekend, my wife being Jahmaican has always wanted to come to one of her homeland's parties so we will return and re-visit pot pie heaven

3 Replies Related Threads

Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Tasty surprise in Fresno 2009/04/19 12:09:48 (permalink)
    I love chicken pot pie--that sounds awesome.  I also love that your veggie was carrots in brown sugar sauce.  :)  You'll have to tell us about the food at the My Jahmaica weekend.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7766
    Re:Tasty surprise in Fresno 2009/04/19 12:33:22 (permalink)
    Jonjax...

THE MEETING IS TODAY!

1PM and you can still make it!
    Cruisin4food
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Tasty surprise in Fresno 2009/06/29 22:56:22 (permalink)

I love the Chicken Pie Shop! This is a must have whenever we are in the area.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1