Tastykakes[:p]

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Cheeseburger
2003/04/07 16:40:37
I just tried my first Tastykakes yeesterday - the new Philly cheesesteak place that opened up here in Miltown gets 'em - he says they're nature's perfect complement to the sandwich. I tried the creme-filled chocolate cupcakes and the peanut butter candy cakes. I want to suggest a few other kinds for him to stock - do you have any favorites?
http://www2.tastykake.com/?tabId=113
LBeuerle
Junior Burger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/04/07 19:22:06
Many years ago, the Tastykake company made a kandykake that had a moist, coconut filling covered with dark chocolate. Honestly, it was to die for (much like a Mounds Bar). I was so sorry/disappointed when they stopped making it. I live in Michigan, however, I had a neighbor from the Philly area who used to go home occasionally and bring back lots of Tastykakes. My local Kroger store carried Tastykakes for a for short period of time...but no more. Could someone tell me how to get a smiley face into text.
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/04/07 19:45:34
Jessica,

I've eaten thousands of Tastykakes---mom would throw them in my school lunch. While they are not as good as fresh-made bakery desserts, they are certainly better than most mass-produced sweets.

The chocolate creme cupcakes you had, were an early signature item in their original (still available) version---a chocolate cupcake with chocolate icing.

The Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes also come in chocolate (without the peanut butter). They are real good.

I would recommend:

Jelly Krimpets---thick fluffy white cake stuffed with jelly.

Butterscotch Krimpets---the same fluffy cake topped with butterscotch icing.

Chocolate Junior---a square half sandwich sized cake stuffed and covered with chocolate icing.

Just remember "nobody bakes a cake as tasty as a Tastykake".
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/04/07 19:50:24
I was not aware of Tasty Kake until I had a meeting at our home office in Philly. They told me about them and I bought some butterscotch. I do not know the name (proper), but they hit the spot when I got the muchies.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
jessicazee
Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/04/08 19:35:08
Yeah, I hear ya Stan on the "not as good as fresh" bakery - I grew up on the masterpieces of Danish bakeries in southeastern Wisconsin - kringle, seven sisters, elephant ears...as well as Mexican bakeries...I'll take your advice and see if I can get some of the Butterscotch and Jelly Crimpets.

But Tastykakes are definitely better than Hostess or Dolly Madison stuff. Although, I do opt for a Twinkie or Nutty Bar now and again.
bumper
Hamburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/04/08 21:33:14
Paul Food Lion in your area has a limited supply of these great treats
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/04/08 21:52:14
Food Lion in Knoxville has taken the financial plunge and closed their stores, Walmart and Kroger's choked their chicken. They are outta here. Walmart has the Tasty Kakes though

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/04/08 23:18:03
I've only had Kringle once. At Bendtsen's---on the way from Milwaukee to Chicago. Cherry Kringle!!! Wow!!!
jessicazee
Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/04/09 18:10:43
Myabe I should start a new thread for this - but the best kringle is from O&H Danish Bakery in Racine. They ship:
http://www.ohdanishbakery.com/

Pecan & cherry are my favorites.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/04/09 21:31:16
What aboput "LITTLE DEBBIE'S"?? Are they still on the market? I thought I saw them on Food Channel recently, but missed the location.
bumper
Hamburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/04/09 21:53:04
Mayor Little Debbie is bigger than ever home office Collegedale,TN they also make Sunbelt snack bars now
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/04/09 22:44:19
LBeuerle,
The coconut tandycake is a seasonal item, look for it now, it is usually put out in connection with Easter. I really like the mint tandy cakes, when thay can be found, but they are only out occasionally too. Tastey cakes aren't just a Phlly thing, we had them here in Baltimore when I was growing up waaaaay back in the 50's & 60's. Mom used to pack them in our lunchs too!:-) You might trade your sandwhich but you never traded your tastey cake!!
OU-812
Junior Burger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/04/26 08:33:39
"You might trade your sandwhich but you never traded your tastey cake!!"

That could be there new slogan. The peanut butter candycakes are by far the best. However I have not tried any that I did not like since my introduction to Tastycakes less than a year ago. Only drawback is that they are kind of hard to find in East TN.

Have cakes will travel
Chris
CheeseWit
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/04/26 14:40:59
You can order Tastykakes online through Tastykake's web site: www.tastykake.com or through a small company that sends Philly foods anywhere and I think their website is: www.phillyfoods.com
CheeseWit
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/04/26 14:43:48

Sorry, I gave you the wrong site for Philly foods. The site I gave you is a great directory of steak shops in Philly. Try www.tasteofphilly.com

quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

You can order Tastykakes online through Tastykake's web site: www.tastykake.com or through a small company that sends Philly foods anywhere and I think their website is: www.phillyfoods.com

stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/04/28 22:22:14
There are also lots of "Tastykake Thrift Outlets" throughout Pennsylvania. You can pretty much buy any kind imaginable there.
CheeseWit
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/04/29 09:19:25
Stan, Tasty has closed the thrift stores. They were money losers. Consumers didn't see a need to go to a thrift store for an item that is discounted regularly in their supermarkets.
quote:
Originally posted by stanpnepa

There are also lots of "Tastykake Thrift Outlets" throughout Pennsylvania. You can pretty much buy any kind imaginable there.

renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/04/29 11:07:02
I love Tastykakes and while all my faves are mentioned here, there is one that is often overlooked. Also kinda hard to find in a lot of parts. That would be the TastyKlair pie.

While most of thier pies are pretty forgettable, the TastKlair is awesome. Basically an eclair with a pie crust, it has a great custard filling and chocalate top. Last time I checked this little pie had about 490 calories and something like 300mg of cholestorol...mmm mmm good.

Only have about one a year, but they are mighty tasty.
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/04/29 11:07:32
Cheesewit, you are correct! I just called the Wilkes-Barre outlet and the number has been disconnected. Well, anyway...the large grocery stores around here have huge T'cake displays/sections and you probably can buy 'em all there instead.

JaneDough
Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/05/18 12:19:55
To stanpnepa, the Kandy Kakes w/o peanut butter are made w/ dark chocolate coating and vanilla cream between the coating and the cake layer. (As opposed to milk chocolate with a peanut butter layer for p.b. Kandy Kakes.) For the lovers of the p.b. version out there, I have an awesome recipe for a half sheet pan-sized confection that I dare you to tell me isn't made by TastyKake itself. The best part about it is you don't have to stop with just 2 or 3...
essvee
Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/05/18 18:28:21
Two words. Coconut Junior.
CheeseWit
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/05/18 21:19:07
One word. Scrumptious.
quote:
Originally posted by essvee

Two words. Coconut Junior.
Gordon
Junior Burger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/05/19 01:49:05
Butterscotch kimpets. 'Nuff said.
JaneDough
Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/05/19 07:30:38
TY, Cheesewit
ykslam
Junior Burger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/05/25 21:30:48
I am a moron!
jeffskal
Hamburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/05/27 15:33:12
Lemon Pies were my thing when I was in Philly - they never send them out here to CA. The chocolate cupcakes used to come three to a pack, not two like they do now... and Juniors were another favorite.

Still, Butterscotch Krimpets are indeed the classic Tastykake with KandyKakes a close second. It takes supreme willpower not to buy a few boxes when Ralph's has them on sale, 2 boxes for $3.

Reading about the Tastyclair, I could just about taste it - I remember having one, but it must have been at least 25-30 years ago...
practans
Junior Burger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/08/01 11:51:37
My dentist is now getting rich on all the Tastycakes I ate as a kid. They should promote them now with a battery-powered toothbrush,

I loved the Krimpets, butterscoth and jelly. I think they used to be larger and they came three to the pack. The pies were good, too, especially the lemon pie.

My all-time favorite is the chocolate KandyKake. It is unmatched by anything put out by Hostess or Little Debbie, or whoever. The peanut butter KandyKake is a close second.

jeffskal
Hamburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/08/01 16:40:06
Hmm, looks like Ralph's in LA has discontinued the TastyKakes? - the co. must've stopped paying the shelving fees :( . The grocery biz has become so corrupt!!!

The other thing I remember about TastyKakes was that, way back in the 'early '70s when I worked for Two Guys Dept. Stores in Philly, the
TastyKake guy would be in there everyday, pulling out the old product and
putting in the fresh stuff... I don't know if they still do it that
way but I think it made a difference then - no way would I ever have
bought a Hostess or Drake's anything if a TastyKake was available...
Except when my Dad had the day-old bakery stand up at the farmer's market in, uh, somewhere near Quakertown... then the Drake's cakes were "free" :) ;)
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/08/01 16:48:32
I am seeing TastyKakes everywhere now. I use to see them mostly in PA, but now Walmart has them and Food City in Knoxville

I like the butterscotch ones.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
chezkatie
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/08/01 21:26:44
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I am seeing TastyKakes everywhere now. I use to see them mostly in PA, but now Walmart has them and Food City in Knoxville

I like the butterscotch ones.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I feel like a complete idiot! What in the world is a Tastykate? I have never heard of them. Is it considered a "junk food" item?
CheeseWit
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/08/01 22:46:12
A couple of things about Tastykakes. They are a line of baked products. Cupcakes, pies, and other unique items. They were, for a long time, only available in the Philly area. The past couple years they have sought national distribution. They have an agreement with Wal Mart to produce some private label items for the Bentonville behemoth and get some of their own labeled products in Wal Marts. They have just announced that they are retreating from their nationwide distribution plan and will concentrate on their core market. This is the reason you won't find them in Ralph's anymore. I don't think that plan includes Wal Mart-so they will be available there.
ocdreamr
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/08/01 23:36:31
quote:

. They were, for a long time, only available in the Philly area.

Not so Cheeswit, they are a PA product but I know I took Tastykakes almost everyday for lunch when I was a kid in the 50's & I'm in Baltimore. I think they actually did the Mid Atlantic area.
CheeseWit
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/08/02 07:21:55
Yes, in the 50's they were available in PA, NJ, DE, parts of MD, and parts of NY. Prior to that they were only in Phila.
drpep
Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/08/02 19:33:41
Rumor has it Tastykake is going to pull out of some markets and stick to the East coast.
peppertree
Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/08/02 20:56:10
Tastykakes are here in Central Texas. I never liked them as much as Drakes.

Yodels
Ring Dings
Devil Dogs
Yankee Doodles

I like Chocolate and Cream better than fruit on cakes. Drakes excelled in the chocolate and cake things.

Does anyone else like Drakes better? I also like Drakes better than Hostess. Sweeter cream.
drpep
Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/08/03 21:16:56
Drakes Devil Dogs are the best, but I always seem to gravitate towards Little Debbie.
Kristi S.
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/08/11 09:03:17
Since I moved to Florida from A-town I have not been able to find the exotic Tastykakes we had up north. There was a pineapple-mango cupcake (I think) or something that had tropical fruit icing. Yummy! As far as the others, I love the pumpkin pie, TastyKlair and especially the coconut cream ones...all which we still can't get down here...
mek
Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/08/11 09:36:28
peanut butter kandy kakes
chocolate candy kakes
all of the pies

Butterscotch krimpets with a chocolate Yoohoo....
harriet1954
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/08/15 23:11:47
Two little comments about Tastykake and then I'm going to sleep after watching a bit of "Action News" with another Philly classic, Jim Gardner. This is a wonderful childhood memory. All my life, I was addicted to Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets. It was pretty bad. I can honestly say they were my downfall. I have not eaten one since I started Weight Watchers last September. For if I DID eat one, it would be like an alcoholic falling off the wagon. It would just be all over for me, people. As a child, one of my most favorite comforting snacks, albeit a strange one, was eating all the butterscotch icing off the top, then putting butter on them and putting them in my mom's toaster oven and toasting them until I heard them sizzle. You had to watch them very closely. I was a skinny kid and could afford that wonderful snack, weight-wise.

I was also very much into Chocolate Tandy Takes or Kandy Kakes (they had both names).

And the third item (I know I only said two, but...) my boyfriend turned me on to something very very seasonal regarding Tastykake. Around this time of year, they will deliver Orange Juniors to the stores, such as Wawa or 7-11. If you like orange in a cake, this is for you. The last two summers, I bought cases of them for Bill & he kept them in the freezer. They only have them in the stores for about a month and then they're gone. Very limited and very luscious.

Nobody makes a cake as tasty as a Tastykake!
woodseywoman
Junior Burger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/12/05 14:26:27
To Jane Dough, could you please send me your recipe for the sheet cake that tastes like peanut butter tandycakes? I used to have it years ago but have lost it. It's really hard to find a Tasteycake in the Mid West! I'd appreciate it! Thanks, Nancy woodseywoman1@wmconnect.com
dendan
Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/12/05 15:53:03
quote:
Originally posted by mek

peanut butter kandy kakes
chocolate candy kakes
all of the pies

Butterscotch krimpets with a chocolate Yoohoo....

mek - You hit it!...the butterscotch krimpets are THE best...
Kristi S.
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/12/05 16:39:40
My friend sent me a care package (12 lbs!) of Tastykakes from PA when he was there last week. Four boxes: krimpets, koffee kakes, kandy kakes, and cupcakes; half a dozen Pound Kakes, and two dozen various pies. I thought my kids were gonna faint when I opened it up.
dendan
Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/12/05 17:02:17
How long did they last?
JaneDough
Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/12/06 14:27:37
for woodseywoman and fellow TandyTakes lovers, here's the Rx:

4 eggs
2 c. sugar
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. milk
2 T. butter or margarine
1.5 c. creamy peanut butter
3-4 T. water
8 oz. milk chocolate
1 (or more) glass of milk, very cold

Lightly grease 11x17 sheet pan and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 deg. Mix first four ingredients. Scald milk w/ butter (or margarine). Add to batter and beat until smooth. Spread evenly in pan and bake 20-25 mins. While stil hot, spread w/ peanut butter, then cool in refrigerator 30 min. Meanwhile, melt chocolate with water in double boiler, mixing constantly. Spread on top of cooled peanut butter and cool 30 mins. Cut into bars, settle in w/ cold glass of milk and enjoy being a child again!

If I had CREAMY p.b. (we usually eat super-chunk) and MILK chocolate (only have unsweetened & bittersweet) in the hjouse I'd be in the kitchen making these within the next 5 seconds!

JaneDough
tarragon
Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/12/06 17:33:32
I can't believe I didn't see this topic before now! Tastykakes have always been my favorite. They are available in my local area (DC suburbs) but unfortunately the market "choice" here is Hostess, and Tastykake just doesn't do very well here. The philistine tastes of DC, I guess! LOL They do not know what they are missing! At any rate, the ones that I can get from my local Safeway (and other stores that carry Tastykakes) are simply not as fresh as ones you get in the Philly area! I was able to pick up a box of the mint Kandy Kakes (my daughter describes them as like a peppermint patty with cake, pretty accurate) and several of my favorite individual Tastykake products while at my Dad's for Thanksgiving. The Mint Kandy Kakes made it back to DC, but only barely[:P]

It's true, Kandy Kakes used to be called Tandy Takes. The coconut ones are normally available at Easter time, btw. And Tastykake does still make the package with three cupcakes--they just aren't the -filled- cupcakes. My favorite cupcakes are the chocolate ones with vanilla cream frosting. The Tasty Klair was also a favorite of mine as a kid. I remember when they cost 15 cents!!! Wah... now I've got to find that Tastykake site, then hold off on buying a bunch of stuff from them.
ocdreamr
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/12/06 22:04:54
quote:
Originally posted by tarragon

I can't believe I didn't see this topic before now! Tastykakes have always been my favorite. They are available in my local area (DC suburbs) but unfortunately the market "choice" here is Hostess, and Tastykake just doesn't do very well here. The philistine tastes of DC, I guess! LOL They do not know what they are missing! At any rate, the ones that I can get from my local Safeway (and other stores that carry Tastykakes) are simply not as fresh as ones you get in the Philly area! I was able to pick up a box of the mint Kandy Kakes (my daughter describes them as like a peppermint patty with cake, pretty accurate) and several of my favorite individual Tastykake products while at my Dad's for Thanksgiving. The Mint Kandy Kakes made it back to DC, but only barely[:P]

It's true, Kandy Kakes used to be called Tandy Takes. The coconut ones are normally available at Easter time, btw. And Tastykake does still make the package with three cupcakes--they just aren't the -filled- cupcakes. My favorite cupcakes are the chocolate ones with vanilla cream frosting. The Tasty Klair was also a favorite of mine as a kid. I remember when they cost 15 cents!!! Wah... now I've got to find that Tastykake site, then hold off on buying a bunch of stuff from them.

Tarragon,
Hop on the Parkway & head north, Any grocery from Columbia through B'more will have fresh Tastykakes. They've been a staple in lunch boxes here since I was a kid in the 50's & 60's.
As to the mint Kandy kakes if you can get some home, put them in the freezer, just like peppermints they're really good that way!
harriet1954
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/12/07 11:04:48
I posted this pic under another thread (experimenting with linking images), but here ya go. My downfall...

Now if Jane could get me THAT recipe...

Oh, and so as not to appear TOTALLY biased...

JaneDough
Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/12/07 12:27:09
Dear Shayna's Mom: try as I might, couldn't come up w/ butterscotch krimpet Rx... sorry! Maybe my next set of kitchen experiments??? I'll need taste-testers for verification (and to eat my mistakes)
RedPatti
Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/12/08 17:12:25
HELP! on 4/7 LBeuerle inquired as to the technique involved in getting a smiley face on the text. I do am smiley face challenged and still haven't figured it out. I did think it interesting that with all the passion expressed about "tasty cakes" and the like no one noticed that lonely sentence requesting HELP!

Please there are two of us now that need a little HELP.

Thanks and happy holidays to each and every one you.
CheeseWit
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/12/08 18:11:17
When you "reply to topic" the smilies are on the left of your message box. Just click on the one you want to insert and voila, it's there.
Rusty246
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/12/08 18:33:06
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

What aboput "LITTLE DEBBIE'S"?? Are they still on the market? I thought I saw them on Food Channel recently, but missed the location.

We still have Little Debbie's here in Florida, in my area anyway.
Rusty246
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2003/12/08 18:49:28
quote:

When you "reply to topic" the smilies are on the left of your message box. Just click on the one you want to insert and voila, it's there.

Don't expect to see the same "smiley" until you send your message.
harriet1954
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2004/01/02 22:08:53
Look how they're auctioning off Tastykake on ebay...tsk tsk

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2370442376&category=14310 By the time anyone clicks on it, though, the auction might be over & my link won't do any good anymore. But I think it's strange to see them on there.
Lorenzino
Junior Burger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2004/01/08 22:23:45
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

Originally posted by tarragon

Hi Tarragon,
As I finished by daily Tasty break (today it was Chocolate Kandy Kakes) I decided to try & find on the internet, a vanished Tastykake favorite, the Tandy Take. And low and behold I find this fantastic forum and your posting. I'm delighted.
I grew up in South Philly with a good old corner store, and at almost 45 have been enjoying Tastykakes since I can remember.
I used to love the ALL Chocolate Junior (which appeared from time to time in the 60's and 70's) and I remember when Creamies came in pairs that you'd have to cut apart with the piece of white cardboard they were packaged with. But the one item I think I miss the most is the original Tandy Take - can you or any one else out there prove I'm not losing my mind? The original Tandy Takes were NOT fully "enrobed" like the current Candy Kakes, but they were 2 flat, spongy little chocolate cake roundels with a thick smear of sticky vanilla cream on each, and both cakes were connected by a wide ribbon of chocolate icing similar to the icing used on the traditional chocolate cupcakes. Do you remember those??? Anybody??? They were really delectable and not as sweet as Kandy Kakes.

Also, good news for those who like the seasonal coconut Kandy Kakes. For future reference, they've been making them at Halloween too for the past few years. But the Easter ones should be out soon anyway.

I do wish they'd make the Mint Kandy Kakes all year though. They're the perfect lunch dessert.
dte3672
Junior Burger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2004/01/10 11:29:50
I used to crave Tastykakes when I lived in NE Ohio-hadda go up into Michigan to get them. Needless to say I would buy two or three bagfulls (mostly Kandykakes) Now I have moved to NE Arizona and at first could find them everywhere. After six months they became scarce and now can't be found within a two hour driving radius. WHY DOES THE TASTYKAKE CO. LIKE TO TORTURE THEIR CUSTOMERS LIKE THIS??? AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!! Second, the Tastykake Co. don't offer the individual kinds for sale on their website. You hafta buy an assorted giftpack. ALL I WANT ARE KANDYKAKES! (Geez now I'm tired....)
signman
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2004/01/10 18:00:52
Off to the grocery store soon. Family paks on sale 3/$5.
tarragon
Cheeseburger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2004/01/10 18:39:17
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzino

Hi Tarragon,
As I finished by daily Tasty break (today it was Chocolate Kandy Kakes) I decided to try & find on the internet, a vanished Tastykake favorite, the Tandy Take. And low and behold I find this fantastic forum and your posting. I'm delighted.
I grew up in South Philly with a good old corner store, and at almost 45 have been enjoying Tastykakes since I can remember.
I used to love the ALL Chocolate Junior (which appeared from time to time in the 60's and 70's) and I remember when Creamies came in pairs that you'd have to cut apart with the piece of white cardboard they were packaged with. But the one item I think I miss the most is the original Tandy Take - can you or any one else out there prove I'm not losing my mind? The original Tandy Takes were NOT fully "enrobed" like the current Candy Kakes, but they were 2 flat, spongy little chocolate cake roundels with a thick smear of sticky vanilla cream on each, and both cakes were connected by a wide ribbon of chocolate icing similar to the icing used on the traditional chocolate cupcakes. Do you remember those??? Anybody??? They were really delectable and not as sweet as Kandy Kakes.

Also, good news for those who like the seasonal coconut Kandy Kakes. For future reference, they've been making them at Halloween too for the past few years. But the Easter ones should be out soon anyway.

I do wish they'd make the Mint Kandy Kakes all year though. They're the perfect lunch dessert.

Hi Lorenzino, and welcome to the Roadfood Forums! My grandparents lived in Wilmington, DE so I've been addicted to Tastykakes all my life too, although my family didn't move to Delaware until I was 11.

I do recall that when the Tandy Takes first came out they were different from what they are now as Kandy Kakes, but can't remember as specifically as you what the differences were. Didn't they used to come three to a package too, though?

I agree about the mint ones--they should make em year 'round! I do like the coconut ones as well. Now dang it, I want some Tastykakes and it's just too cold to run out to Safeway and get some that are (probably) nearly stale. I will just have to schedule a visit to my Dad in Philly sometime in the next month or so and stock up on the fresh stuff.

Again, welcome to the boards!
Lorenzino
Junior Burger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2004/01/10 18:47:08
quote:
Originally posted by dte3672

I used to crave Tastykakes when I lived in NE Ohio-hadda go up into Michigan to get them. Needless to say I would buy two or three bagfulls (mostly Kandykakes) Now I have moved to NE Arizona and at first could find them everywhere. After six months they became scarce and now can't be found within a two hour driving radius. WHY DOES THE TASTYKAKE CO. LIKE TO TORTURE THEIR CUSTOMERS LIKE THIS??? AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!! Second, the Tastykake Co. don't offer the individual kinds for sale on their website. You hafta buy an assorted giftpack. ALL I WANT ARE KANDYKAKES! (Geez now I'm tired....)

Hi, I just looked at the website again and you CAN order a case of either the Chocolate or PB Kandy Kakes - look here: http://www.tastykake.com/shop/cases.asp? Their customer service is usually pretty good so it might not hurt to ask if you can mix chocolate and PB's, (if you like both that is, for me it depends on my mood). I understand that they freeze well if you have the room.
Usually my supermarket(here in Springfield, PA) sells fresh KandyKakes (and many other varieties) - 2 boxes for $5.00, so if buying a case doesn't suit you maybe we can connect somehow and I'll arrange to ship 'em to you occasionally as long as you pay shipping & handling (I ship things regularly for my eBay business).
BTW - freshness was always one of the top priorities of the company (and NO I haven't nor do I work for the company). As has been mentioned in this forum - the companies own delivery men would delivery on a regular schedule and remove all the Kakes that hadn't sold since their last visit. While the local delivery system has changed with the disappearance of small local groceries, freshness is still an issue which I think is one of the reasons for TastyKake's recent disappearance from areas far from Philly.
Lorenzino
Junior Burger
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2004/01/10 19:47:43

quote:
Hi Lorenzino, and welcome to the Roadfood Forums! My grandparents lived in Wilmington, DE so I've been addicted to Tastykakes all my life too, although my family didn't move to Delaware until I was 11.

I do recall that when the Tandy Takes first came out they were different from what they are now as Kandy Kakes, but can't remember as specifically as you what the differences were. Didn't they used to come three to a package too, though?

I agree about the mint ones--they should make em year 'round! I do like the coconut ones as well. Now dang it, I want some Tastykakes and it's just too cold to run out to Safeway and get some that are (probably) nearly stale. I will just have to schedule a visit to my Dad in Philly sometime in the next month or so and stock up on the fresh stuff.

Again, welcome to the boards!

Hello again, Tarragon and thanks for the warm welcome! The only TastyKake that I ever remember seeing in a three-pac is the original all chocolate cupcake. Of the traditional "cupcakes" I prefer the cream filled chocolate ones with chocolate icing and the white stripe. I am a confirmed chocoholic though I have probably tried every variety of TastyKake at some time or another. I even tried the guava jelly filled cupcakes that they put out a few years ago. That was one taste I did not acquire. They were good but way too sweet for my palate.
Next time you encounter stale TastyKakes at Safeway COMPLAIN loudly to TastyKake AND Safeway. I wouldn't be surprised if Tasty sends you a case free - at least that's what they used to do! And Safeway has no
excuse. I buy mine at Genuardi's up here which is now owned by Safeway. You should find out how often and when they get their shipments and plan accordingly - that's what I would do.
Enjoy the rest o' the weekend and stay warm!
CheeseWit
RE: Tastykakes[:p] 2004/01/10 20:39:35
Hi Lorenzino...I'm in Drexel Hill. Grew up on Tastykakes and worked for awhile at the firm that designs their packaging and some of their advertising. Tandy Takes used to come three to a package and they were available in only the original version and peanut butter. In fact, the peanut butter version was a seasonal variety.
The Kandy Kake name was coined about 20 years ago and I still call them tandy takes.
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3