Tater Tots

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Lunza
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Tater Tots 2004/08/07 18:41:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Willly

I love it -- "Hot Dish." That is not a phrase we hear on the east coast.

Or the West. Wouldn't we call that "casserole"? :)
TIPPY LEE
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Tater Tots 2004/08/07 22:49:04 (permalink)
Tater tots from the local DQ here, are awesome!!...Very crispy! served with ranch dressing...Excellent!!...Tom B. in Eastern Kentucky.
TIPPY LEE
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Tater Tots 2004/08/07 22:52:04 (permalink)
Tater tots from the local Dairy Queen!!..Very crispy, piping hot, served with ranch dressing..Excellent!!...Tom B. in Eastern Kentucky.
hotdogger
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Tater Tots 2004/08/07 23:58:43 (permalink)
I like Tater Tots more than french fries. I like to bake 'em til they are extra crispy and I eat them with plenty of ketchup and even some hot sauce. I also like McCain potato Smiles. They are very similar to Tater Tots, circular shaped disks with a smiley face cut into it with a mashed potato type filling. YUM!
tater tot123
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Tater Tots 2004/08/29 00:57:20 (permalink)
who here loves the cheese sticks at sonic?
Billfish
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 397
RE: Tater Tots 2004/08/29 02:38:37 (permalink)
Yes I think Tater Tots are darn near perfect,but I can only endorse the original "Ore Ida" brand,the private label supermarket brands seem more watery and not as potato flavored.Tater Tots work ok baked in the oven,but i think they shine their best in the fryer,and the Tots always cry out for a manual sprinkling of salt because they are a smidge bland out of the package (but what isnt nowadays?)

emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Tater Tots 2004/08/30 13:42:21 (permalink)
We have a new Sonic here in town, but every time we try to go, there is a line of cars waiting for parking spaces. I've eaten at Sonics in other places but surely soon , I'll get to eat at our new one
quote:
Originally posted by tater tot123

who here loves the cheese sticks at sonic?
bklynjs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Tater Tots 2004/09/01 18:37:13 (permalink)
When we were kids, my sister and I started dipping tater totz in half ketchup/half Heinz 57 sauce. Nothing else quite seems right now.
salindgren
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 275
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/06 01:00:07 (permalink)
OK, I'm from Dallas, a home for Tater Tots. Yes, Keller's and others have good ones. Now, my question would be: Are the institutional units different from the oven-bake type we're sold? Is there a reason why we can use the oven, but at restaurants they always go in the fryer? I know the ones we buy are sprayed with an oil of some type, so that they will actually work in the oven. What I'm finding today is that even in some of the non-commercial vendors, there are several brands out there now, not just over-priced Ore-Ida. This is good, and extends to all shapes of "french fry" type potato. I buy the largest bags I can find of TTs, crinkle cuts, and steak fries. I don't care for the curly guys, or regular or shoestrings so much. I got tired of dealing with aluminum foil, which can get expensive, but I did discover that if you crinkle the foil first, things don't stick so much. No, here's what I do now. I have a 10 inch saute pan (plain, not teflon), with a metal handle. I load it up with tater tots, and throw it in the oven at 450 degrees. Takes about 30 minutes. What's good about this technique is: I can toss the tots anytime, no stirring or anything. I can pull them out and examine them anytime. I can pour them out of the pan right onto a plate, which I can't do with foil on a sheet. Also, what I'm finding is that if I just dedicate this pan to this task, it just lives in the oven, I have not needed to scrub it, it's just sort of "seasoned" without any nasty black buildup, call me lazy, but it's working.
Last year, I was in a place with no oven, so I fried the things, but I really think I like the oven better. It's easy somehow to over-fry in oil, and I think the baked ones actually taste better, then you don't have to deal with the oil, either. One reason why restaurant fries taste better than what you do at home is a matter of chemistry. Totally fresh oil is not tasty. In restaurants, when they change the oil, they save a few ounces of the old oil, and add it to the new. It's kind of like a starter for sourdough, changes the chemistry of the new oil in a tasty way.
As for dipping sauces, well, I'll stick with ketchup. I like to add regular Tabasco, which Heinz USED to sell, now I have to do it manually. What's more sad is that Ore-Ida quit with the onion tots, but, like I said, I'm finding plenty of cheaper brands out there. Somebody mentioned seasoned salt...That sounds good. Maybe onion powder stirred into the ketchup... Tater tots for grown-ups.
Happy totting!
-Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/06 08:31:56 (permalink)
Salindgren:

Use

or

to prevent sticking.

And, this

and lastly, this

are still available.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6361
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/06 10:12:44 (permalink)
Wow...I thought I was weird.Now I see I'm in good company. I'm a teacher..and on Tater Tot day, I smile...even school tater tots are a treat...plain with ketchup...tastier than many fries!
leethebard
salindgren
Cheeseburger
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/06 22:35:34 (permalink)
To MiamiDon: Well, thanks for the pix, but trust me, there are no more onion Ore-Ida tots marketed in SoCal, nor Tabasco Heinz. I have looked in every major supermarket chain here in LA. I stick with my comments about the pan-bake method...the tots just pour right out onto a plate. Don't have to pick them up one at a time to transfer.
-Scott Lindgren
thediningroom
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/08 05:33:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I am not a big fan of tater tots but I must admit Son'cs are the best I have ever had.

As a matter of fact, most everything Sonic has is good. They do a super burger, onion rings, grilled cheese and I like their breakfast addition.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I wish you people would keep talking about Sonics. I been wanting to go there for years, I hear you talk about them on these forums and see the commericals on cable TV all the time. I live in Michigan and the clossest one is 200 miles away. It should be illegal for them to advertise where people can't get to one.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3174
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/08 06:53:22 (permalink)
I always got a kick of the excitement the dieticians that I worked with had when the hospital had tater tot casserole on the menu.
thediningroom
Hamburger
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/08 07:07:54 (permalink)
Tater Tot Casserole sounds yummy, do you have the recipe?
thediningroom
Hamburger
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/08 07:14:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by salindgren

OK, I'm from Dallas, a home for Tater Tots. Yes, Keller's and others have good ones. Now, my question would be: Are the institutional units different from the oven-bake type we're sold? Is there a reason why we can use the oven, but at restaurants they always go in the fryer? I know the ones we buy are sprayed with an oil of some type, so that they will actually work in the oven. What I'm finding today is that even in some of the non-commercial vendors, there are several brands out there now, not just over-priced Ore-Ida. This is good, and extends to all shapes of "french fry" type potato. I buy the largest bags I can find of TTs, crinkle cuts, and steak fries. I don't care for the curly guys, or regular or shoestrings so much. I got tired of dealing with aluminum foil, which can get expensive, but I did discover that if you crinkle the foil first, things don't stick so much. No, here's what I do now. I have a 10 inch saute pan (plain, not teflon), with a metal handle. I load it up with tater tots, and throw it in the oven at 450 degrees. Takes about 30 minutes. What's good about this technique is: I can toss the tots anytime, no stirring or anything. I can pull them out and examine them anytime. I can pour them out of the pan right onto a plate, which I can't do with foil on a sheet. Also, what I'm finding is that if I just dedicate this pan to this task, it just lives in the oven, I have not needed to scrub it, it's just sort of "seasoned" without any nasty black buildup, call me lazy, but it's working.
Last year, I was in a place with no oven, so I fried the things, but I really think I like the oven better. It's easy somehow to over-fry in oil, and I think the baked ones actually taste better, then you don't have to deal with the oil, either. One reason why restaurant fries taste better than what you do at home is a matter of chemistry. Totally fresh oil is not tasty. In restaurants, when they change the oil, they save a few ounces of the old oil, and add it to the new. It's kind of like a starter for sourdough, changes the chemistry of the new oil in a tasty way.
As for dipping sauces, well, I'll stick with ketchup. I like to add regular Tabasco, which Heinz USED to sell, now I have to do it manually. What's more sad is that Ore-Ida quit with the onion tots, but, like I said, I'm finding plenty of cheaper brands out there. Somebody mentioned seasoned salt...That sounds good. Maybe onion powder stirred into the ketchup... Tater tots for grown-ups.
Happy totting!

I just bought a large bag of Ore-Ida Onion Tots last month, are you sure your store just don't carry them any longer?
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3174
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/08 09:15:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by thediningroom

Tater Tot Casserole sounds yummy, do you have the recipe?
Here's a page of them: http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-71,tater_tot_casserole,FF.html
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2346
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/08 17:19:31 (permalink)
Here is my mother's recipe:

(DO NOT. COOK. THE BEEF. It goes into the pan raw. You must trust me on this.)

Norwegian Pizza:

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
cream of celery/mushroom/chicken/whatever or cheese soup
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bag tater tots

Press ground beef flat into a 9x13 pan, like you're making cookie bars. Sprinkle salt & pepper over meat, sprinkle onions over that. Spread undiluted soup over that, put tater tots in rows over that. Bake @ 350 for 90 minutes. Cut along the tater tots for your pieces, and eat with a fork, this pizza.

If you use cheese soup, it tastes like cheeseburgers & fries.
salindgren
Cheeseburger
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/13 02:34:53 (permalink)
To thediningroom: Yes, I've looked at Ralphs, Vons, all the stores here in LA, and no more Onion Tater Tots, nor Tabasco Heinz. I'm OK with the ketchup problem, my girlfriend hates anything spicy, so it's no big deal for me to just add hot sauce to MY ketchup. You know, I think Ore-Ida actually had TWO versions of onion tots, regular onion, and green. But that's the hard part, I am not sure how to add an onion feature to tater tots. I think I will try a little onion powder in the ketchup, oui? Might work. BTW, my cat's official (registered) name is Potato Blossum. Therefore she's called Tater, or Tater Tot. She's a beautiful Abby. A real sweet little gal.
Regarding Sonic... I used to frequent them in Dallas. I got excited here in LA about 6-7 years ago when they opened a store about 30 miles from my downtown loft, and I was kind of disappointed, except for the lime-ade, which is very good. I'll talk more about old faves on the Fast Food page. But yes, it really makes no sense to me when "national" chains advertise, and tease us with pretty pictures WHEN THEY DON'T EVEN OPERATE ANYWHERE NEAR YOU!! Especially goofy for me, in the heart of Los Angeles? There are so many! Ruby Tuesday's. I don't know whether they have a store in CA. Stuart Anderson's Black Angus. Not any within many miles of downtown LA. Carrow's. Maybe 15 miles from DT. And over and over.
Frankman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 300
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/13 02:47:25 (permalink)
When I want a quick meal I'll throw a couple of handfuls of left over tots in a saucepan with some chill. By the time I heat the chili the potatoes are warm. Yes, it took a lot of willpower to learn to have leftover tater tots.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/13 03:00:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TIPPY LEE

Tater tots from the local DQ here, are awesome!!...Very crispy! served with ranch dressing...Excellent!!...Tom B. in Eastern Kentucky.

Bringing this topic up again created one heck of a flashback. Tippy Lee (Tom Blackburn) was a good friend who passed away 12/10/2005. About the same time (hour) Richard Pryor passed (I can still picture them 2 humoring each other at the pearly gates). Tom always liked his grub from DQ.. Claimed they had the best foot long chili dogs that existed. Do miss his humor for sure.. He was suppose to come to town here for a Mountain Concert before he got sick.. Never made it, but still have an autographed drum stick I saved for him before I learned of his passing. Time to have a plate of Tater Tots in his memory (Ore Ida with Heinz Ketchup)..
salindgren
Cheeseburger
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/20 05:36:13 (permalink)
Well, I was just going to say something more about cooking tots. I discovered last week that the steak fries I bought do not cook well in the oven, so I fired up the 2nd batch in oil. Now, we have talked about how tots need to be really crispy, which means at least 25 minutes in the oven, and since I already had the used oil in a pan in the fridge, I made today's tots that way, and while it's a little messier, it's a whole lot faster. When you are in a hurry, go for the oil.
-Scott Lindgren
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/20 08:20:44 (permalink)
Fox Brothers BBQ here in Atlanta (Dekalb Ave, west of Decatur) has a popular dish that's basically Tots topped with Brunswick stew and shredded cheese. Certainly they lose their crunch quickly, but still tasty.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/20 09:56:52 (permalink)
Maynerd and Salin mentioned Keller's in Dallas. My first taste of a tater tot was at Keller's. I think no one else had them back in the 50s. You for sure couldn't buy them at the crocery. Kellers still has them and they taste just the same as 40 yrs. ago.

Oh, I love the Oreida's. They are the very best IMHO.

Now, for the history of tater tots. Where did they start and how did they progress? Salin said Dallas was the home of these tasty treats. Could that be true?
Joe
salindgren
Cheeseburger
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/20 18:06:35 (permalink)
Oh, poor grammar on my part. What I said was that Dallas was A home to the tot, not THE home. Sorry if I created confusion there. But, I have no idea on the history. It may well be that they are simply some genius idea for using up otherwise useless tater parts, but who cares?? We all LOVE them! Parts is parts.
In a similar vein, and also funny, is the story regarding so called "baby carrots". These are carrots that would otherwise be tossed out. They just pare them down and market them as "babies". Ha!
-Scott Lindgren
LegalLady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 404
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/20 18:26:05 (permalink)
Tater Tots? Yuck. Give me good old homemade french fries any day.

LL
dcwatts
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/20 19:11:52 (permalink)
Here's my favorite TaterTot recipe. Not a main dish, it can serve as a side dish with steak or what-have-you OR (my more common use) breakfast.

T A T E R - T O T C A S S E R O L E

2 1/2 cups shredded cheese (your choice)
8oz sour cream
1 (14oz) can cream of potato soup
1 (32oz) pkg frozen Tater-tots
1tsp salt

Pre-heat oven to 350degF. Blend 1&1/2 cups cheese with sour cream, salt and soup in a large mixing bowl. Toss in the 'tots. Spread in a greased 9x13in baking dish. Top with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes.

OPTIONAL: Cut four strips of thick-sliced bacon into moderately sized pieces (large enough so that they do not become microscopic when rendered). Fry in skillet and allow pieces to drain on paper towel. Discard bacon grease. Mix cracklins into sour cream mixture with other ingredients.

Enjoy!
dcwatts
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/20 19:23:07 (permalink)
Someone asked about the history of the 'Tot.
They were invented back in the 1950s by an employee of Ore-Ida as a means of getting rid of the scraps generated by the processing of frozen french fries.

MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/21 09:13:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dcwatts

Someone asked about the history of the 'Tot.
They were invented back in the 1950s by an employee of Ore-Ida as a means of getting rid of the scraps generated by the processing of frozen french fries.

Tater Tot history, straight from the potatoe's mouth:

http://www.oreida.com/funzone/history.aspx
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Tater Tots 2008/01/21 13:14:29 (permalink)
Ok, Keller's in Dallas started selling Tots in the 50s. How did that happen? Did they make their own or??? buy them from Ore-Ida? Or ????
Joe
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1