LockedTaylor Pork Roll

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Author
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/01 10:42:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hungovergourmet

Grew up in South Jersey and LLLLLLLove pork roll. (Of course, as a kid having the same last name as the most famous brand wasn't always such a treat. LOL.) We eat it fried with melted American cheese served on a burger bun or topped with an over easy egg, melted cheese and served on an English muffin. I like mine topped with ketchup and/or hot sauce.

As for it tasting *anything* like Spam or Treet, well, I beg to differ.

I even like it more than scrapple. Mmmmmmm.

Dan--I swear. You could be the perfect dining companion. You love Taylor Pork Roll AND scrapple? Hell, you could be the perfect man even! Ay yi yi!!!

Hands off girls....I found him first!

Oh right...sorry...your wife found you first. Damn!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18892
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/01 13:50:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Sorry, folks. I fried slices of the Taylor Pork Roll and it tasted exactly like Spam and Treet. It ws good, my taste buds work quite well, thank you, and I'm terribly sorry if anyone has a problem with the fact of what it tastes like.

Then why didn't you pick up the saltiness of Taylor's until I suggested adjustment (which I suspect you secretly had done)?

Because I hadn't yet tasted it side-by-side with Treet.
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/01 14:02:11 (permalink)
Scrapple!! Another culinary treat from the pennsa dutch, yet another staple as rare outside its regional base as a good cheesesteak, aahhh the gastronary delights this forum brings back to the memories forefront..
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/11 09:07:58 (permalink)
Oneiron, if your Atlanta is Georgia, comfort yourself. You will find Taylor Pork Roll at Publix delis, at least on the north side of town.

I have roots in New Jersey (four - five generations ago) but no known family. I first had a Taylor Pork Roll sandwich while waiting for a plane at Newark years ago. The name stuck. I wondered where it came from. I got some when I saw it at the deli. Last time I did that the man asked if I was from New Jersey.

No one has mentioned it in this thread, but its good with vinegar sprinkled over. I don't think it tastes like Spam and it does have a different "mouthfeel" Don't know about Treet.
hungovergourmet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/11 09:53:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by meowzart
Dan--I swear. You could be the perfect dining companion. You love Taylor Pork Roll AND scrapple? Hell, you could be the perfect man even! Ay yi yi!!!

Hands off girls....I found him first!

Oh right...sorry...your wife found you first. Damn!!

As my wife would tell ya, I wasn't *always* this perfect. LOL...
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/11 16:27:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Born in OKC

Oneiron, if your Atlanta is Georgia, comfort yourself. You will find Taylor Pork Roll at Publix delis, at least on the north side of town.

I have roots in New Jersey (four - five generations ago) but no known family. I first had a Taylor Pork Roll sandwich while waiting for a plane at Newark years ago. The name stuck. I wondered where it came from. I got some when I saw it at the deli. Last time I did that the man asked if I was from New Jersey.

No one has mentioned it in this thread, but its good with vinegar sprinkled over. I don't think it tastes like Spam and it does have a different "mouthfeel" Don't know about Treet.

I found Taylor PR at Publix! It wasn't in the meat deli, but in the area where bacon and packaged hot dogs are kept. My Publix (Marietta) didn't have it in the deli. Thanks for the advice.
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/11 16:47:09 (permalink)
Yep, one of us grew up in NJ and do fondly remember Taylor Pork Roll. It was fun to cook as it wanted to curl up on itself or at the very least humped up in the middle....oh, I can see the jokes starting!!

" />
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/11 20:05:54 (permalink)
Oneiron, I'm glad you found the TPR. I'm a little surprised it was with the bacon. Was it pre-sliced and packed like lumcheon meat or other cold cuts? There are at least two Publix locations in Alpharetta and maybe one on the south side )Morrow) where it is in the deli, label side up, but kind of lonely with all the Boar's Head stuff all around.

And a question for you or another. This thread has mentioned other pork roles. Are they pretty much like the TPR and if not, how do they differ?
Oneiron339
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/12 07:39:22 (permalink)
OKC - yes it was packaged in a 4-slice carton. The deli mgr. said they didn't have any demand for the rolls. I would probably be one of very few to ask for it.
BTW - I've tried some of the other pork rolls (Gwaltney comes to mind) but they don't quite come up to Taylor.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/12 17:55:26 (permalink)
I too bought a package of Taylor Pork Roll at Publix last week (8 slice package). First time I've ever had it. I fried it a bit until crispy and made it into a sandwich with a sourdough roll and some Muenster. Excellent stuff! Much more ham-like to my palate than SPAM or TREET either one. Much more like the real thing.
dreamzpainter
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/13 00:05:52 (permalink)
I guess the presliced is better than nothing but I prefer mine as thick as 2 slices or slightly less. Crispy all over is a bit to well done for my taste, medium brown on both sides and heated through is best, a slice of american cheese slightly melted, guldens spicey brown mustard and a hard roll, a handful of chips and a cherrycoke...
ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/13 00:33:55 (permalink)
The pork roll in packages comes in two thicknesses. Same weight 4 or 8 slices!
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/13 00:54:56 (permalink)
Oneiron - On another thread you talk about stuffed pork maw. Do you have a complete recipe or just the family memories?
Oneiron339
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/13 07:05:55 (permalink)
quote:

Oneiron - On another thread you talk about stuffed pork maw. Do you have a complete recipe or just the family memories?

It is called "Pig Stomach" and is a staple in PA. Take a pig stomach (they come washed and prepped in PA markets, but you could ask your butcher for one). My family used regular bulk sausage, diced potatoes, diced celery, and S & P. Fill the cavity w/ the sausage mixture and seal w/ twine or toothpicks, place in a roasting pan w/ 2 cups of water and roast for about an hour or so at 350. Add more water and don't let it dry-out.
NJ Pork Roll
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/17 16:24:31 (permalink)
It's pork parts and some other stuff, nothing to be afraid of. http://www.jerseyporkroll.com/what.htm
dreamzpainter
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/18 06:38:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Katunes

It's pork parts and some other stuff, nothing to be afraid of. http://www.jerseyporkroll.com/what.htm
great site!! thank you, now if I could find drinkatoast......
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/18 15:00:40 (permalink)
quote:

This is very different from Oneiron's, but I thought you might be interested in it just for comparison: http://www.pochesmarket.com/poche_prod/stuf_chaudin.htm
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/18 15:38:39 (permalink)
quote:

I have the family memories, too, but no recipe. But RubyRose once sent me to this site and I now have it bookmarked. I found a recipe there for ya!

http://teriskitchen.com/padutch/pigstom.html
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/18 16:44:49 (permalink)
Thanks for the link to the stuffed pork stomach recipe. Only recipes for that I'd seen published previously were (1) a Cajun preparation in one of Paul Prudhomme's books, and (2) a hint in Vol. II of Voth's Germans From Russia Mennonite Cook Books.
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/22 15:47:23 (permalink)
Probably my last TPR post.

The Whole Foods nearest me, aka Harry's, has TPR in the deli.

Also found the pre-packaged variety in another Publix, but not the bulk product in the deli at that location.
pennypincher
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/22 16:06:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Finally, I found a Taylor Pork Roll in Kroger today. I'd heard about it. I'd seen it on diner menus in Pennsylvania as Taylor ham. I was informed by some Pennsylvanians here that what I was talking about was Taylor pork roll. I just fried some up. It was quite tasty. Exactly like Spam.

I had good memories of Taylor Pork Roll of about 40 years ago or so.
Within the last 6 months they opened a local Fry's which is carrying
Taylor.

I purchased a pound of it and I could hardly finish it. I found it to be way too salty and the consistency and flavor leaves a lot to be desired also it seems that it contains a lot of fat. I won't be purchasing any more any time soon again.

I can't figure it out, either I have a bad memory or perhaps the recipe has changed. My personal conclusion is that Taylor Pork Roll
is terrible.
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/22 17:48:15 (permalink)
quote:
now if I could find drinkatoast......

Now there's a memory. A lot of church events and summer afternoons with Drinkatoast. My highschool wrestling coach was always proud of the fact that he lived in Riverside and had summer jobs screwing the caps on the bottles.
NJ Pork Roll
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/22 21:40:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pennypincher
I found it to be way too salty and the consistency and flavor leaves a lot to be desired also it seems that it contains a lot of fat. I won't be purchasing any more any time soon again.

I can't figure it out, either I have a bad memory or perhaps the recipe has changed. My personal conclusion is that Taylor Pork Roll
is terrible.

You might have been eating Trenton Pork Roll, made by Taylor, too, but not as spicy and some people say less greasy. It's the kind used in most diners and lunch trucks in Jersey. It's pretty fatty no matter what brand though.

Just my two cents : )

dreamzpainter
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/23 00:16:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by GordonW

quote:

Now there's a memory. A lot of church events and summer afternoons with Drinkatoast. My highschool wrestling coach was always proud of the fact that he lived in Riverside and had summer jobs screwing the caps on the bottles.
My dad sends my wife a care package of 2 gallons about 3 times a year, its actually shipped right from the bottlers. I make it a little stronger than recommended and she likes it weaker..
CherokeeAngel
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/26 20:40:16 (permalink)
My Mom is constantly ordering the pork roll (aka Taylor Ham) She orders from a online internet business, www.porkrollxpress.com They have it in Martins Store in WV but its the boxed stuff and is no where near the same as the whole log...Pretty tasty stuff .
smoke&fire
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/28 12:04:13 (permalink)
Any one looking, try Harris Teeter.
We have it here in Salisbury, NC
If we have it here, you can probably find it anywhere.
Although we can only get the pre-sliced kind, not the whole log
CherokeeAngel
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/28 14:47:57 (permalink)
Smoke&Fire,

Did you ever have Taylor Ham from the log and not the sliced boxed stuff? Wow!!! what a difference in taste...After having it from the log, cant stand the boxed...Taste just like the plastic wrap to me....

harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1165
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/30 07:46:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by GordonW

quote:

I was going to add also that you could probably find Drink-A-Toast (also known as Boost) in any food store along Route 130 in Burlington County. There's an Acme close to Riverside that I'm sure has it.

As far as pork roll, it's so easily obtainable in the stores in my neck of the woods that you can get the store brand of it for cheaper and I think it tastes just as good!

Regarding the log form of it, my daughter's best girlfriends are triplets, and they moved up to the Johnstown, PA area from Pennsauken, NJ about 2 years ago. One memory they all share together is making and eating pork roll. My daughter got them (actually I bought it) a huge (it's either 13 lbs. for $6 or 6 lbs. for $13) pork roll from Sam's a few Christmases ago, and she brought it up there and presented it to them for Christmas. I've got a great picture of one of them sitting on the steps with the pork roll in their lap (unopened). And you know it might have been Case's pork roll and not Taylor's...not sure because I no longer belong to Sam's.

Off to the Philly Roadfood Tour today!
dreamzpainter
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/04/30 12:47:31 (permalink)

I was going to add also that you could probably find Drink-A-Toast (also known as Boost) in any food store along Route 130 in Burlington County. There's an Acme close to Riverside that I'm sure has it.
We usually got ours from cumberland farms or the local supermarket.. Sounds like shayna's mom is from my old stomping grounds, I had a friend who lived directly across from the watchcase building... Is "The Pig" still downtown??
pbwh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2005/06/09 09:42:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by oneiron339

quote:
Originally posted by alesrus

quote:

I wish I could find it in Atlanta, haven't had it for years. I'll have to make a road trip to PA and bring some back.

Gee I hope you are referring to pork roll

Mrs. Oneiron might not let me bring THAT back, but I could bring some Taylor Pork Roll back home.

quote:

I wish I could find it in Atlanta, haven't had it for years. I'll have to make a road trip to PA and bring some back.

I live in Atlanta and just got back from my first NJ trip this past weeekend. WOW - I discovered and fell in love with Taylor ham! I brought back 2 rolls in a cooler on the plane (how sad is that?). My friends that I visited don't know how to pack it up so I am just going to have to order it online. I found a really great site that delivers (just do a google search and you'll get lots of hits). I have a newfound addiction
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1