LockedTaylor Pork Roll

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Author
Buddy Dek
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 133
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/04/26 15:00:33 (permalink)
Taylor ham,under Boars Head label, makes a great tasty sandwich combined with anything. Flat grill or pan fried, brings out the best of this flavor. Great!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18942
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/04/26 15:59:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Buddy Dek

Taylor ham,under Boars Head label, makes a great tasty sandwich combined with anything. Flat grill or pan fried, brings out the best of this flavor. Great!

I just checked the entire Boar's Head product line and they do not list any Taylor ham.
daawgon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/07/06 13:36:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hungovergourmet

Grew up in South Jersey and LLLLLLLove pork roll. (Of course, as a kid having the same last name as the most famous brand wasn't always such a treat. LOL.) We eat it fried with melted American cheese served on a burger bun or topped with an over easy egg, melted cheese and served on an English muffin. I like mine topped with ketchup and/or hot sauce.

As for it tasting *anything* like Spam or Treet, well, I beg to differ.

I even like it more than scrapple. Mmmmmmm.

I'm a philly boy and now in the nw, and glad to hear the reference to availability in seattle. For 30 years my folks would lug the rolls on a plane to bring to their home in San Diego. Just shows what different taste buds we all have - TPR is no Spam! my lord, TPR is far superior. I remember those fast food places on the Ocean City boardwalk that sold TPR sandwiches and we always had it at home - remember the foil pouches you could put in the toaster?
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/07/09 20:51:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by Buddy Dek

I just checked the entire Boar's Head product line and they do not list any Taylor ham.

An entity of its own......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_roll
Not that I trust everything I read in wikipedia...

http://www.jerseyporkroll.com/?gclid=COr7uMLim40CFQsmgAodvyg61A
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/07/09 22:28:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:

Actually, there is one rather large difference between Spam/Treet and Taylor Pork Roll. The latter is much, much more salty.

Well, then how can we ever trust anything you say, Michael Hoffman?

IF, that's your real name !!!!?????!!!!
Wait, sir: surely you never trusted Mr. Hoffman!?
Ciaoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/07/09 22:44:03 (permalink)
I lived in Morris County, NJ for 8 years a while back. Coming from CT, I had no clue about Taylor Ham or Pork Roll. A kind co-worker filled me in and I was hooked. Taylor Ham, egg and cheese on a bagel with ketchup! Great for breakfast or anytime. Now that I'm back in CT, I'm delighted to advise that Taylor Ham is appearing in local markets. I found both the pre-sliced and the whole roll in a market in Madison, CT. Bought it, ran home and enjoyed every bite. I grill it in a non-stick pan...no need to add any butter, oil, etc. Gets nice and crispy. The same as Span? Treet? I respectfully disagree...the spices are clearly different as is the texture.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10407
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/07/10 03:30:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ciaoman

I lived in Morris County, NJ for 8 years a while back. Coming from CT, I had no clue about Taylor Ham or Pork Roll. A kind co-worker filled me in and I was hooked. Taylor Ham, egg and cheese on a bagel with ketchup! Great for breakfast or anytime. Now that I'm back in CT, I'm delighted to advise that Taylor Ham is appearing in local markets. I found both the pre-sliced and the whole roll in a market in Madison, CT. Bought it, ran home and enjoyed every bite. I grill it in a non-stick pan...no need to add any butter, oil, etc. Gets nice and crispy. The same as Span? Treet? I respectfully disagree...the spices are clearly different as is the texture.

Comparing Spam to Taylor Ham is like comparing Gravel to Grits!" />" />" />" />
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/07/18 20:31:32 (permalink)
My TPR sandwich from another thread.

Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/07/18 23:51:07 (permalink)
Is that a baklava on the side of that pork roll sandwich?
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/07/19 07:16:13 (permalink)
Roosy that looks wonderful.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15335
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/07/19 09:28:57 (permalink)
Roossy
Where are the trademark 'Blueberries'? That can't be your photo without them !!
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1165
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/07/19 16:57:45 (permalink)
Pork roll's even regional within New Jersey. Was having a food conversation with daughter's boyfriend, who lives in Trenton (actually just on the outskirts) and he said, "We don't do Taylor's in Trenton! We only do Case's!" It's just as good. As I stated towards the beginning of this thread (like two years ago!), the store brand is readily available here. For the poster who said they had a hard time keeping it flat when pan-frying: cut tiny notches at "2, 4, 7 & 10" 'round the circle. That should really help. Either that, or put something weighted like a bacon press on.
rumsongirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/08/25 00:23:46 (permalink)
grew up in nj and love tpr....can't find it in n.e. anymore...use to be able to get it at finist in n.h., but a lass no more...have to wait till my husband gets it on a business trip..if he remembers...not top on his food chain!
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/11/09 09:13:30 (permalink)
"Taylor Ham" is a company that makes Pork Roll.

It like arguing whether to call petroleum jelly Vaseline or petroleum jelly.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/11/09 20:15:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Robearjr

Is that a baklava on the side of that pork roll sandwich?

Better late than never..
Yes, and it was fantastic..... Homemade from a coworkers Turkish mother.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18942
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/11/09 20:25:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jerzeydawg

"Taylor Ham" is a company that makes Pork Roll.

Actually, Taylor Provisions, Inc. makes Taylor Pork Roll. Case Pork Roll Company, Kohler Provisions and Loeffler Gourmet -- all in New Jersey -- also make pork roll. Hatfield Quality Meats in Pennsylvania makes a pork roll, too.
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/11/09 22:09:24 (permalink)
all i have to say is dont let your pork roll and dont let your meat loaf!!!!
unabashed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/11/10 20:35:11 (permalink)
After reading this post months ago and being a lover of Spam. I set out to find this stuff...I found it at Martins in Hagerstown MD. they were having a 10 for $10. sale.

It aint bad But I still prefer Spam.
Ron
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/12/24 09:03:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by harriet1954

Pork roll's even regional within New Jersey. Was having a food conversation with daughter's boyfriend, who lives in Trenton (actually just on the outskirts) and he said, "We don't do Taylor's in Trenton! We only do Case's!" It's just as good. As I stated towards the beginning of this thread (like two years ago!), the store brand is readily available here. For the poster who said they had a hard time keeping it flat when pan-frying: cut tiny notches at "2, 4, 7 & 10" 'round the circle. That should really help. Either that, or put something weighted like a bacon press on.

That is interesting, because the Taylor label shown down-thread states that it is made in Trenton!
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/12/24 11:46:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by harriet1954 For the poster who said they had a hard time keeping it flat when pan-frying: cut tiny notches at "2, 4, 7 & 10" 'round the circle. That should really help. Either that, or put something weighted like a bacon press on

As is visible in my photo.

jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/12/24 14:50:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

quote:
Originally posted by harriet1954 For the poster who said they had a hard time keeping it flat when pan-frying: cut tiny notches at "2, 4, 7 & 10" 'round the circle. That should really help. Either that, or put something weighted like a bacon press on

As is visible in my photo.

And on the 8th day....God made Pork Roll

That looks really good!
peanutluv
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2007/12/28 12:11:29 (permalink)
My husband is from Philly, now i live with him in Philly.When he makes Taylor(a must)Pork Roll he cuts notches in it then fries it up in a pan comes out looking like an Iron Cross yummy.I think it has the taste of bacon and ham not spam.I've also never imagined ever liking Scrapple but the way he makes it i love it.He slices it thick and dusts it lightly with corn starch fries it in oil till the outside is very crunchy and the inside is smooth. Always is Habbersett Scrapple.
foobuc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2008/01/01 18:16:53 (permalink)
i will say that i love pork roll. if you want to try something good put a slice or 2 onto a hamburger with some cheese in a nice fresh bun. like a heaven!! anyone in NJ should try this at Frankie's in Pt Pleasant NJ. i used to have it there a few years back but don't live down there anymore. Also the best pork roll and cheese on a nice soft roll!! is at the Clark White Diamond in NJ during weekday mornings. I have been there on the weekends and it is not the same. The key to pork roll/taylor ham is to not over cook it(at least thats the way i like it!)
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2008/01/01 23:24:09 (permalink)
Well, I had my first Taylor Pork Roll today for breakfast. The wife sort of shoved me out of the way (she was hungry) and helped with the frying of the slices in a cast-iron frying pan. They were quite tasty with eggs and english muffins.

I have a question: Is there more than one size roll? After frying, the slices were only about 2-1/2" in diameter. The sandwich photo up-thread looks to have cooked slices of about 4" (unless those are really small rolls).
myterry2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 532
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2008/01/01 23:53:15 (permalink)
Agree...there is definitely something wrong with him or her[xx(
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:

Actually, there is one rather large difference between Spam/Treet and Taylor Pork Roll. The latter is much, much more salty.

Well, then how can we ever trust anything you say, Michael Hoffman?

IF, that's your real name !!!!?????!!!!
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2008/01/02 06:48:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by foobuc

i will say that i love pork roll. if you want to try something good put a slice or 2 onto a hamburger with some cheese in a nice fresh bun. like a heaven!! anyone in NJ should try this at Frankie's in Pt Pleasant NJ. i used to have it there a few years back but don't live down there anymore. Also the best pork roll and cheese on a nice soft roll!! is at the Clark White Diamond in NJ during weekday mornings. I have been there on the weekends and it is not the same. The key to pork roll/taylor ham is to not over cook it(at least thats the way i like it!)

Clark White diamond is one of my favorites. The food can definetly vary in quality as they have a large staff of employees. The weekenders are different then the weekday staff. Still beats going to McDonalds or Burger King though.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2008/01/02 11:47:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

Well, I had my first Taylor Pork Roll today for breakfast. The wife sort of shoved me out of the way (she was hungry) and helped with the frying of the slices in a cast-iron frying pan. They were quite tasty with eggs and english muffins.

I have a question: Is there more than one size roll? After frying, the slices were only about 2-1/2" in diameter. The sandwich photo up-thread looks to have cooked slices of about 4" (unless those are really small rolls).

Don,

Yes, Taylor does make pork roll in two different diameters, one about 4 inches in diameter and the other about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. As far as I am able to tell, the recipe and taste are the same for both. The 2 1/2 inch or so roll is usually found in New Jersey supermarkets in the section where they sell bacon and pre-packaged cold cuts. I think it is a 1 1/2 pound package.

Service delicatessens usually have a 6 pound, 4 inch dimeter loaf that they slice on a commercial slicer. I prefer to buy the pre-sliced 6 ounce packages that are wrapped in Cryovac. They are the 4 inch size, and have either (4) 1 1/2 ounce slices or (8) 3/4 ounce slices per 6 ounce package. Some delis do not sell enough, and Taylor Ham will oxidize if not tightly wrapped.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2008/01/02 12:33:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by David_NYC

quote:
Originally posted by MiamiDon

Don,

Yes, Taylor does make pork roll in two different diameters, one about 4 inches in diameter and the other about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. As far as I am able to tell, the recipe and taste are the same for both. The 2 1/2 inch or so roll is usually found in New Jersey supermarkets in the section where they sell bacon and pre-packaged cold cuts. I think it is a 1 1/2 pound package.

Service delicatessens usually have a 6 pound, 4 inch dimeter loaf that they slice on a commercial slicer. I prefer to buy the pre-sliced 6 ounce packages that are wrapped in Cryovac. They are the 4 inch size, and have either (4) 1 1/2 ounce slices or (8) 3/4 ounce slices per 6 ounce package. Some delis do not sell enough, and Taylor Ham will oxidize if not tightly wrapped.

Well, that explains it. We are probably too far south of NJ to have all of the choices.

Thanks,

Don
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2008/01/04 22:39:47 (permalink)
You can get the large size rolls at BJ's even here in Florida. We cut it into 4 and freeze 3 sections. I haven't noticed any problem with freezing but it seldom stays longer than 2mnths
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Taylor Pork Roll 2008/01/05 06:56:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dreamzpainter

You can get the large size rolls at BJ's even here in Florida. We cut it into 4 and freeze 3 sections. I haven't noticed any problem with freezing but it seldom stays longer than 2mnths

Oh, cool. I live very close to BJ's.

Thanks!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1