The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Taylor Pork Roll

Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 6 of 7, messages 151 to 180 of 186
Author Message
leethebard

  • Total Posts: 6080
  • Joined: 8/16/2007
  • Location: brick, NJ
RE: Taylor Pork Roll Sat, 01/19/08 1:57 PM (permalink)
Roossy90,
Wow...that's the classic pork roll sandwich. TRULY A jERSEY TREAT. Those who think pork roll is Spam(which is nothing but a hunk of spiced ham,cold cut...thus the contraction name,spam)you got to come to Jersey, take a Pork Roll tour of the state...and try it at about a dozen or so places. You'll soon see what we here know. It's a unique blend....
 
    amini1

    • Total Posts: 49
    • Joined: 1/15/2006
    • Location: Missouri City, TX
    RE: Taylor Pork Roll Sun, 01/20/08 12:08 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.
    That oughtn't be necessary. My local Publix store carries it, so you ought to be able to turn it up in one Publix or another in Metro 30301-land. You may have to ask up front where they keep it, because I just lucked up on it in my local store... it wasn't with many of their similar products.
    Taylor Made, Ort. Carlton in Athens.
    P. S. My local Publix carries both the thin-sliced and the thick-sliced versions: "Choose yer pizen," as my mother used to say.

    P. P. S. An amendment: DUH, someone already told you that. Gnerb. Ignore this post.


    Be careful with it outside of the Northeast. Our local Kroger sells Taylor in all its glory, i.e., not pre sliced, here outside of Houston, Texas. I have been sold gray pork roll and returned it for fresh. I have no idea if it was spoiled but it certainly wasn't the right color. It's always been one of my favorites. Bagel, cheese, pan fried, thick cut pork roll. So good.
     
      David_NYC

      • Total Posts: 2162
      • Joined: 8/1/2004
      • Location: New York, NY
      RE: Taylor Pork Roll Sun, 01/20/08 11:18 AM (permalink)
      The loaves of Taylor Ham will turn green or gray if not tightly wrapped. Even if tightly wrapped, they have a short shelf life after the plastic wrap is removed. I can't say if it is spoiled at that point or not, but the taste will definitely be off. Taking it back is certainly called for. The problem is that it just does not sell in certain stores or cities. Also, the expiration dates on the small 6 ounce pre-sliced packages are pretty much on the money. Flavor will suffer if using after the expiration date.
       
        leethebard

        • Total Posts: 6080
        • Joined: 8/16/2007
        • Location: brick, NJ
        RE: Taylor Pork Roll Sun, 01/20/08 11:20 AM (permalink)
        I'd suggest you all move to Jersey where our's is fresh...but we're too crowded already!
         
          jerzeydawg

          • Total Posts: 167
          • Joined: 5/27/2007
          • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
          RE: Taylor Pork Roll Sun, 01/20/08 2:29 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by leethebard

          I'd suggest you all move to Jersey where our's is fresh...but we're too crowded already!



          You got that right.
           
            jerzeydawg

            • Total Posts: 167
            • Joined: 5/27/2007
            • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
            RE: Taylor Pork Roll Sun, 01/20/08 2:56 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by leethebard

            I'd suggest you all move to Jersey where our's is fresh...but we're too crowded already!



            You got that right.
             
              matilda

              • Total Posts: 667
              • Joined: 1/25/2007
              • Location: Port Royal, SC
              RE: Taylor Pork Roll Tue, 01/29/08 8:48 PM (permalink)
              Well, I had Taylor ham today... .
               
                JakerDog

                • Total Posts: 204
                • Joined: 10/23/2007
                • Location: BEACH, NJ
                RE: Taylor Pork Roll Wed, 01/30/08 4:25 PM (permalink)
                I was in WaWa yesterday buying milk when I saw Hatfield Pork Roll Sausuage. It appeared to be sliced like Taylor Pork Roll, but the look was odd and I am not used to seeing Pork Roll and Sausage in the name. Any ideas?
                 
                  matilda

                  • Total Posts: 667
                  • Joined: 1/25/2007
                  • Location: Port Royal, SC
                  RE: Taylor Pork Roll Wed, 01/30/08 6:41 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by JakerDog

                  I was in WaWa yesterday buying milk when I saw Hatfield Pork Roll Sausuage. It appeared to be sliced like Taylor Pork Roll, but the look was odd and I am not used to seeing Pork Roll and Sausage in the name. Any ideas?


                  If you're looking for Taylor Pork Roll/Ham, save yourself some coppers and just buy Bologna.

                  I felt as though I'd been on a snipe hunt after I'd doled out the bucks for baloney.
                   
                    Michael Hoffman

                    • Total Posts: 17815
                    • Joined: 7/1/2000
                    • Location: Gahanna, OH
                    RE: Taylor Pork Roll Wed, 01/30/08 7:51 PM (permalink)
                    I've never eaten bologna that in any way resembled Taylor Pork Roll.
                     
                      matilda

                      • Total Posts: 667
                      • Joined: 1/25/2007
                      • Location: Port Royal, SC
                      RE: Taylor Pork Roll Wed, 01/30/08 9:30 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                      I've never eaten bologna that in any way resembled Taylor Pork Roll.


                      Well, then, why don't you send me some of what you consider the manna of the bologna world and then we'll compare notes.
                       
                        Michael Hoffman

                        • Total Posts: 17815
                        • Joined: 7/1/2000
                        • Location: Gahanna, OH
                        RE: Taylor Pork Roll Wed, 01/30/08 9:37 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by matilda

                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                        I've never eaten bologna that in any way resembled Taylor Pork Roll.


                        Well, then, why don't you send me some of what you consider the manna of the bologna world and then we'll compare notes.

                        I wasn't aware that there was manna in connection with bologna.

                        Manna -- hardened sugary exudation of various trees
                        miraculous food: (Old Testament) food that God gave the Israelites during the Exodus

                        But, any way you slice your bologna or your pork roll, bologna is usually made with beef. I don't believe pork roll is made with beef. I suppose I could be wrong on that last point, though.

                        At any rate, if you think bologna and pork roll are similar in any way, other than shape, then I can only wonder what sort of bologna you've been smoking.
                         
                          matilda

                          • Total Posts: 667
                          • Joined: 1/25/2007
                          • Location: Port Royal, SC
                          RE: Taylor Pork Roll Wed, 01/30/08 10:10 PM (permalink)
                          Michael,
                          Come now, get a grip on yourself.
                          I said that I had had Taylor Ham.
                          Be careful, is there a difference between Taylor Ham and Taylor Pork Roll?
                          According to what's been said on this thread, there is not.
                          Look at what you just wrote.
                          Could that possibly make any sense to anyone other than you and me?
                          I only include myself in the equation simply because you have chosen to target me with your poisoned pen, tonight.
                          Tomorrow, you will give someone else grief.
                          It's the way of your world.
                          Have a good time with it.
                          I'm sure being alone makes one sour.
                           
                            Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

                            • Total Posts: 1350
                            • Joined: 7/12/2000
                            • Location: Robbinsville, NJ
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Taylor Pork Roll Wed, 01/30/08 11:29 PM (permalink)
                            Two more cents: as lovers of pork roll AND bologna, we'd have to say that they are kinda similar. Not the same, but similar. Diameters are similar. Bologna is emulsified more than pork roll, and has a softer texture. Both bologna and pork roll vary in taste from producer to producer, but those flavors do intersect here and there. Bologna can be fried, especially specialty versions like ring bologna, but regular deli-counter bologna is sliced thin and usually eaten cold. Pork roll is sliced thicker, about 1/4", and is always fried up first (it's a cooked product, and safe to eat cold, but it's probably served that way about as frequently as hot dogs are).

                            Pork roll is sometimes compared to bologna or salami or Spam, and we think all three comparisons are apt. To our taste, the lesser pork rolls taste closer to bologna, the better ones closer to Spam. Best we've tried to date is from Mastoris Diner (White Rose a close second). We asked a while ago, and our waitress said it was from Hatfield, but the Hatfield pork roll we've bought at the supermarket was totally different. Perhaps Hatfield makes a few kinds, or maybe our waitress lied, but nothing we've been able to buy tastes as good as the pork roll from Mastoris.
                             
                              Michael Hoffman

                              • Total Posts: 17815
                              • Joined: 7/1/2000
                              • Location: Gahanna, OH
                              RE: Taylor Pork Roll Wed, 01/30/08 11:34 PM (permalink)
                              I began this thread by saying Taylor Pork Roll tasted a lot like Spam. I've eaten a lot of bologna in my life, from plain old Oscar Meyer-type stuff through chicken bologna and garlic bologna all the way to mortadella, and I've never tasted any that came close to the taste of Taylor Pork Roll. By the way, the Taylor Pork Rolls I buy at the store are more like a chub of sausage than a roll of bologna in terms of diameter. I understand the company does make the larger diameter version, but out here in the boondocks of Flyover Land I've never seen the larger version.
                               
                                unabashed

                                • Total Posts: 435
                                • Joined: 6/8/2007
                                • Location: greencastle, PA
                                RE: Taylor Pork Roll Thu, 01/31/08 12:01 AM (permalink)
                                http://www.jerseyporkroll.com/nutritionalinformationtaylorporkroll.htm

                                http://www.jerseyporkroll.com/what.htm

                                I searched and searched but couldn't find what's in Taylor Pork Roll ...
                                then I remembered I posted a pic on this thread a long time ago looked it up croped then converted to grayscale so you could read it better....

                                nuff said
                                 
                                  matilda

                                  • Total Posts: 667
                                  • Joined: 1/25/2007
                                  • Location: Port Royal, SC
                                  RE: Taylor Pork Roll Thu, 01/31/08 12:08 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Bruce Bilmes & Sue Boyle

                                  Two more cents: as lovers of pork roll AND bologna, we'd have to say that they are kinda similar. Not the same, but similar. Diameters are similar. Bologna is emulsified more than pork roll, and has a softer texture. Both bologna and pork roll vary in taste from producer to producer, but those flavors do intersect here and there. Bologna can be fried, especially specialty versions like ring bologna, but regular deli-counter bologna is sliced thin and usually eaten cold. Pork roll is sliced thicker, about 1/4", and is always fried up first (it's a cooked product, and safe to eat cold, but it's probably served that way about as frequently as hot dogs are).

                                  Pork roll is sometimes compared to bologna or salami or Spam, and we think all three comparisons are apt. To our taste, the lesser pork rolls taste closer to bologna, the better ones closer to Spam. Best we've tried to date is from Mastoris Diner (White Rose a close second). We asked a while ago, and our waitress said it was from Hatfield, but the Hatfield pork roll we've bought at the supermarket was totally different. Perhaps Hatfield makes a few kinds, or maybe our waitress lied, but nothing we've been able to buy tastes as good as the pork roll from Mastoris.


                                  The main thing I did find different, and which is more important, to me, was the taste. There was a faint smokiness. Very faint. And if Sir Hoffman wants to imply that I, being the serf he obviously thinks I am, think that something called, "Pork Roll," has any semblance to "ham" whatsoever, then he, as much as I hate to be dreadfully truthful, is deluding only himself.
                                   
                                    matilda

                                    • Total Posts: 667
                                    • Joined: 1/25/2007
                                    • Location: Port Royal, SC
                                    RE: Taylor Pork Roll Thu, 01/31/08 12:23 AM (permalink)
                                    What is Pork Roll? - The History of Pork Roll
                                    What is the difference between Taylor Ham and Taylor Pork Roll? The proper name according to the manufacturer is, "John Taylor's Original Taylor Pork Roll, " but many of us in Jersey call it "Taylor Ham." Think of it as Kleenex is to tissues, Taylor Ham is to Pork Roll.

                                    According to Eric of Taylor Provisions, people use the two names interchangeably. We also asked him about Taystrips, and he said they have not been manufactured for many years and have no plans at this time to do so in the future.

                                    The name debate seems to be between North Jersey locals calling it Taylor Ham, and South Jersey and Philadelphians calling it "Pork Roll."

                                    Maybe Middletown, NJ is the dividing line? A few weeks ago I heard from two different people originally from Brooklyn, NY, and they both called it Taylor Ham, but a woman in Queens knew it as pork roll. I'd love to hear what others think. Enter your thoughts into the guestbook, or email kate@jerseyporkroll.com.


                                    "NJ Pork Roll" is the name of this company, it is not the name of a particular brand of pork roll.

                                    Shop around the internet for the lowest prices on Taylor Ham, pork roll AND shipping. Watch out for those sites that appear to charge less but make their profits on shipping. www.JerseyPorkRoll.com will charge you only what it costs to arrive at your door without adding handling charges.

                                    From Wikipedia
                                    Taylor ham is the common name for pork roll, a food developed by John Taylor of Trenton, New Jersey, late in the 19th century.

                                    Taylor is the brand name for pork roll made by Taylor Provisions, Inc., of Trenton. Taylor also manufactures pork roll under the Trenton brand. Trenton by Taylor has been an advertiser on the outfield wall at Mercer County Waterfront Park in Trenton since it opened in 1994. Other companies making pork roll include Kohler Provisions and Loeffler Gourmet.

                                    The product is generally eaten sliced and grilled, like Canadian bacon. A slice fits neatly on a round roll, and it is frequently eaten as part of a breakfast sandwich, most often also including egg and cheese.

                                    Pork roll generally comes in one-, three-, and six-pound sizes, as well as six-ounce boxes containing eight single-thickness slices or four double-thickness slices. The product is seldom available for retail or restaurant sale outside of New Jersey and adjoining areas like Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. However, a message board posting in 2004 showed that Taylor ham had been located at a supermarket in Valdosta, Georgia. There are also marketers selling pork roll on the Internet and shipping it around the United States.

                                    Source: http://www.jerseyporkroll.com/what.htm
                                     
                                      leethebard

                                      • Total Posts: 6080
                                      • Joined: 8/16/2007
                                      • Location: brick, NJ
                                      RE: Taylor Pork Roll Thu, 01/31/08 5:20 AM (permalink)
                                      Thanks for the history....by the way ,in Jersey we have a ford-chevy debate...Taylor or Case...two major companies... Which is better..depends on how you feel that day. Love 'em both!!!!
                                       
                                        myterry2

                                        • Total Posts: 526
                                        • Joined: 4/15/2007
                                        • Location: Lake Forest, IL
                                        RE: Taylor Pork Roll Thu, 01/31/08 6:26 AM (permalink)
                                        matilda...your a hero of Roadhouse...Hoffman is nothing more than a posting nightmare.
                                         
                                          jerzeydawg

                                          • Total Posts: 167
                                          • Joined: 5/27/2007
                                          • Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
                                          RE: Taylor Pork Roll Thu, 01/31/08 7:16 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by leethebard

                                          Thanks for the history....by the way ,in Jersey we have a ford-chevy debate...Taylor or Case...two major companies... Which is better..depends on how you feel that day. Love 'em both!!!!


                                          Buick......Definitely Buick
                                           
                                            JakerDog

                                            • Total Posts: 204
                                            • Joined: 10/23/2007
                                            • Location: BEACH, NJ
                                            RE: Taylor Pork Roll Thu, 01/31/08 9:33 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by matilda

                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by JakerDog

                                            I was in WaWa yesterday buying milk when I saw Hatfield Pork Roll Sausuage. It appeared to be sliced like Taylor Pork Roll, but the look was odd and I am not used to seeing Pork Roll and Sausage in the name. Any ideas?


                                            If you're looking for Taylor Pork Roll/Ham, save yourself some coppers and just buy Bologna.

                                            I felt as though I'd been on a snipe hunt after I'd doled out the bucks for baloney.


                                            Since I live right here in NJ getting real good fresh Taylor Pork Roll is not a problem. In my opinion it does not resemble bologna in the least. Bologna is...what it is, not a pork roll substitute at all. I do enjoy fried bologna and eggs sometimes, but again it isn't Pork Roll at all.
                                             
                                              porkbeaks

                                              • Total Posts: 2201
                                              • Joined: 5/6/2005
                                              • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                                              RE: Taylor Pork Roll Thu, 01/31/08 9:38 AM (permalink)
                                              I spent the first 30 years of my life in NJ and ate a lot of Taylor Pork Roll (we never called it Taylor ham). I don't think it tastes like Spam at all. I never liked Spam. I still like Taylor Pork Roll. pb
                                               
                                                mikez629

                                                • Total Posts: 307
                                                • Joined: 1/15/2008
                                                • Location: Oakland, NJ
                                                RE: Taylor Pork Roll Thu, 01/31/08 10:11 AM (permalink)
                                                I grew up in Philly-we called it pork roll....I moved to N Jersey and now I call it Taylor Ham...because nobody knew what I was talking about when I asked to Pork Roll.....if you go to Long Island they don't even know what you are talking about. Either way it is delicious.
                                                 
                                                  Akavar

                                                  • Total Posts: 361
                                                  • Joined: 12/22/2000
                                                  • Location: Flemington, NJ
                                                  RE: Taylor Pork Roll Thu, 01/31/08 10:54 AM (permalink)
                                                  IMHO -

                                                  I have done personal taste tests to explore both Taylor Pork Roll and about a dozen different bologna types in the last few years. I find that there is no similarity in flavor or mouth feel. Some bolognas look like Taylor Ham and others, like Lebanon or ring style bologna, do not. Still, there is no way that I would say that Taylor Ham is like bologna.

                                                  This is not to say that I am right and others are wrong. This is just my opinion. And I had a wrong opinion once but that was many years ago.
                                                   
                                                    Michael Hoffman

                                                    • Total Posts: 17815
                                                    • Joined: 7/1/2000
                                                    • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                    RE: Taylor Pork Roll Thu, 01/31/08 11:25 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by matilda

                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Bruce Bilmes & Sue Boyle

                                                    Two more cents: as lovers of pork roll AND bologna, we'd have to say that they are kinda similar. Not the same, but similar. Diameters are similar. Bologna is emulsified more than pork roll, and has a softer texture. Both bologna and pork roll vary in taste from producer to producer, but those flavors do intersect here and there. Bologna can be fried, especially specialty versions like ring bologna, but regular deli-counter bologna is sliced thin and usually eaten cold. Pork roll is sliced thicker, about 1/4", and is always fried up first (it's a cooked product, and safe to eat cold, but it's probably served that way about as frequently as hot dogs are).

                                                    Pork roll is sometimes compared to bologna or salami or Spam, and we think all three comparisons are apt. To our taste, the lesser pork rolls taste closer to bologna, the better ones closer to Spam. Best we've tried to date is from Mastoris Diner (White Rose a close second). We asked a while ago, and our waitress said it was from Hatfield, but the Hatfield pork roll we've bought at the supermarket was totally different. Perhaps Hatfield makes a few kinds, or maybe our waitress lied, but nothing we've been able to buy tastes as good as the pork roll from Mastoris.


                                                    And if Sir Hoffman wants to imply that I, being the serf he obviously thinks I am, think that something called, "Pork Roll," has any semblance to "ham" whatsoever, then he, as much as I hate to be dreadfully truthful, is deluding only himself.

                                                    Hey, you said you thought that Taylor Ham tasted like bologna. I can't help but believe you are confused when you say that I have implied that you think the product "has any semblance to 'ham' whatsoever." Perhaps it was the late hour that caused you to make this little mistake.
                                                     
                                                      roossy90

                                                      • Total Posts: 6695
                                                      • Joined: 8/15/2005
                                                      • Location: columbus, oh
                                                      RE: Taylor Pork Roll Thu, 01/31/08 5:35 PM (permalink)
                                                      I tried it once, and it was the Taylor brand.
                                                      It tastes nothing like bologna to me....Just a little too salty for my tasteful taste buds.
                                                      I think it has its own unique taste...
                                                       
                                                        David_NYC

                                                        • Total Posts: 2162
                                                        • Joined: 8/1/2004
                                                        • Location: New York, NY
                                                        RE: Taylor Pork Roll Fri, 02/1/08 12:55 AM (permalink)
                                                        I usually buy my Taylor Ham in those 6 ounce presliced packages, and buy them when they are half price loss leaders at ShopRite, Acme and Pathmark supermarkets. I pay from $1.25 to $1.50 a package. From time to time, I do get a package that suffered temperature abuse. It is easy to spot; it smells like bolonga that has gone bad.

                                                        My taste buds show no similarity whatsoever with bologna from quality producers such as Karl Ehmer, Boar's Head, Thumann's and Dietz and Watson and with Taylor Ham that is fresh and has been kept refrigerated.
                                                         
                                                          matilda

                                                          • Total Posts: 667
                                                          • Joined: 1/25/2007
                                                          • Location: Port Royal, SC
                                                          RE: Taylor Pork Roll Fri, 02/1/08 9:26 AM (permalink)
                                                          Reread my post, Greymo.
                                                           
                                                            Greymo

                                                            • Total Posts: 3662
                                                            • Joined: 11/30/2005
                                                            • Location: Marriottsville, MD
                                                            RE: Taylor Pork Roll Fri, 02/1/08 9:37 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by matilda

                                                            Reread my post, Greymo.


                                                            I reread it several times. My post stands. In my most humble opinion, I think that you just love lo argue and be mean. Have a great day.
                                                             
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 6 of 7, messages 151 to 180 of 186

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com